Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I downloaded this free turn-based 2d RPG game a few years back and forget what it's called. The few things I remember are that there's a central character who is a "dark ninja/'I'm an angsty experimental warrior who wants to be good!'" archetype and he becomes one of the bad guys a quarter of the way through and doesn't rejoin the party until the game is almost over. There were lots of party members. I recall an Indiana Jones type of gunslinger who traveled around with his female summoner companion. And one white-mage girl reveals she was raped by enemy soldiers about halfway through the game in a ridiculously hammy scene that this particular game is infamous for. I think there may have been an air-ship battle scene where you jumped from ship to ship.

Anyone know what it's called? It's seriously bugging me since I want to recommend it to a friend who is looking for free traditional-style RPG games as it has a FFIV-ish vibe to it but no dice.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
A science fiction game where you're some type of mercenary. You can buy and customize a space ship and outfit it with different types of weapons. Battles are top down and 2d I think.

There's also top down, 2d ground battles where you control a team of mercenaries. All I remember is really loud screams when one of them dies. I think it was packaged in a set with civlization and colonization?

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

SlenderWhore posted:

I downloaded this free turn-based 2d RPG game a few years back and forget what it's called. The few things I remember are that there's a central character who is a "dark ninja/'I'm an angsty experimental warrior who wants to be good!'" archetype and he becomes one of the bad guys a quarter of the way through and doesn't rejoin the party until the game is almost over. There were lots of party members. I recall an Indiana Jones type of gunslinger who traveled around with his female summoner companion. And one white-mage girl reveals she was raped by enemy soldiers about halfway through the game in a ridiculously hammy scene that this particular game is infamous for. I think there may have been an air-ship battle scene where you jumped from ship to ship.

Anyone know what it's called? It's seriously bugging me since I want to recommend it to a friend who is looking for free traditional-style RPG games as it has a FFIV-ish vibe to it but no dice.

Was this one of the Wild Arms series?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I used to play this game a lot with my cousin in the late 90's. It was a free game, maybe shareware?

You were an army dude in a trench and you threw grenades at another dude in a trench in front of you. Like the "3rd-person" levels in contra. You could also shoot as well.

Here are some pics I have:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'm trying to remember the name of a browser based game I played a while back. It was a sim/empire building game where you built your various towns and could create more towns and fight each other.

The key things I remember are the city maps were grid based and where your positioned buildings mattered. If you built a quarry beside a pile of rocks they would get a % bonus to their output. 2 Quarry beside each other would do the same(I believe). SO the idea was to build an optimal city.

It ended up people would make the optimal build charts for whatever the goal of your city was, like this:

HQQQH
HQQQH
HQQQH
FFFFF

Where H = House, Q = Quarry, F = Forest.

Thats not an accurate build, but it gives you the idea.

Anyone remember what this was called?

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009

MikeDM92 posted:

I remember playing this futuristic 3D RTS game where all of your units were robot like things and you could take control of any of your units and drive/walk around and shoot with them in the first person. I remember the default color it started you out as was red and one of the buildings was just a giant dome. If you went inside the dome in first person mode, it was a wide open space with grated floors. The only map I remember was just generic grey/brown crumbled canyons.

I've been trying to find out the name of this game for years now. If anyone could help out that would be amazing!

Edit: I remember one of the units was some kind of spider walker that shot lasers.
Yo, this was Machines.

And I'm looking for a PC game that sounds kinda like this:

It's a platformer. You're a cop (or private dick) and go around puonching "street toughs" and having sex with prostitutes. You can change between various positions and when you make the prostitute cum she gives you a powerup or information. In a couple of levels you ride around on a chopper. Also, each mission unlocks a sex toy which you can use between missions on your girlfriend.

I remember playing it sometime around 1999-2000. Also it was password protected; you chose a password during setup (I think). The only other things I remember are: the player character is dressed in blue and one of the sex toys was a string of anal beads.

How dreadful! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 11, 2012

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

prometheusbound2 posted:

There's also top down, 2d ground battles where you control a team of mercenaries. All I remember is really loud screams when one of them dies. I think it was packaged in a set with civlization and colonization?

At a guess, could this be one of the Jagged Alliance games?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

cmndstab posted:

At a guess, could this be one of the Jagged Alliance games?

Nope. You also customized spaceships and it was science fiction. You flew around in space to different planets.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

Nope. You also customized spaceships and it was science fiction. You flew around in space to different planets.

Planet's edge possibly?

I've got a (most likely) tough one. First of all,it's a Famicom game,not even sure it ever saw a NES release. It was a very late game, possibly one of the very last made for the system.

It was a quite fast paced top-down sci-fi shooter,very intense,at least for my 10 year old self. Lots of strobing, especially in the purple. One thing I remember is that if you weren't shooting,this sort of bubble would eventually form in front of your ship and would then explode when you started shooting again. The bosses were huge,with plenty of segmented spindly parts.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I have a question about a PS1 RPG. The game was in 2d until combat. It took place in a medieval-ish setting. All I remember is that you rescue a prince from a jail/prison at one point and he joins the party, and others tease him about how girly he is. I never got past a boss that consisted of a female character in a pink robe/dress flanked by two creatures.

I loved the game, but can't remember the name for the life of me. Sorry it's so vague.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tough one here. Super Famicom (Japanese) title. You're marooned on an island and have to survive while building shelter and finding a way off. I don't know if it's in the same series as Survival Kids/Lost in Blue but it had a similar premise. I only remember playing it on a random rom and now I can't remember the name without going through all 800 roms again.

Capilarean posted:

Planet's edge possibly?

I've got a (most likely) tough one. First of all,it's a Famicom game,not even sure it ever saw a NES release. It was a very late game, possibly one of the very last made for the system.

It was a quite fast paced top-down sci-fi shooter,very intense,at least for my 10 year old self. Lots of strobing, especially in the purple. One thing I remember is that if you weren't shooting,this sort of bubble would eventually form in front of your ship and would then explode when you started shooting again. The bosses were huge,with plenty of segmented spindly parts.

Recca?

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

I'm trying to remember a PC game that I played at a friend's house when I was younger. I want to say it was around 2001 when I played it last, but I'm pretty sure the game was made in the 90s.

I think it was about some sort of a private investigator who's name you could choose for yourself. He was sent to Sin City to investigate a murder done in a hotel and the local police had a suspect already, a woman called Jinx (probably..?), but they lacked evidence against her.
The game starts with the investigator being on a plane and the plane landing. Next the guy got into a cab that was soon stopped by a police officer. Whenever you had a conversation with someone you'd have three options to choose from. Usually only one of them would lead you onward in the game, while the other two might upset the NPCs or just lead to nowhere or in worst cases get you arrested or killed, which would end the game immediately.

The investigator arrived at the hotel but was soon comfronted by the main suspect in the crime, that woman, Jinx. Also, where as most graphics in the game were kinda paint-drawn and really simple with hardly any shadows or dimensions, the people in the game were FMV clips of actors. I can't remember what the woman said to the investigator, but nothing too bad I guess.

Anyway, the investigator then proceeded to the hotel he was supposed to stay in for the time of the investigation. In fact, the murder had happened in that particular hotel. About the hotel, I remember that the stairs were closed most of the time(near the end you could maybe use them?) and one of the floors (probably the second) was closed too. Like, when the investigator got on the elevator and it stopped on the second floor there was an obvious crime scene right in front of the elevator. There was those tapes that investigators use to line the position where they've found the body. The investigator's room was on the third floor and since you couldn't get off the elevator on the second, he went up and into his room.

There was a TV in his room and the player was supposed to turn it on before going to bed. There was the news on and they were talking about the murder. The investigator would fall asleep in the middle of the program, though, and have a nightmare about the case.

That's how vividly I remember the beginning of the game, but then it get's a bit more blurry.

The next morning the investigator was supposed to go to a restaurant, I guess... I think that on his way someone told him to not order something at the restaurant because it'd kill him, but I don't remember what it was. In the restaurant the player was first supposed to do a small puzzle: the menu had been ripped to several pieces and the player had to combine them into a right order. Yeah... then he could eat.

Most locations in the game were that kind where you'd visit several times during the game and they sometimes played a pretty critical role in it. And right stuff needed to be done in right order for the player to get on with the game. Mostly the game was about solving minor puzzles, confronting people and finding different kind of items as evidence.

Any ideas?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SlenderWhore posted:

I have a question about a PS1 RPG. The game was in 2d until combat. It took place in a medieval-ish setting. All I remember is that you rescue a prince from a jail/prison at one point and he joins the party, and others tease him about how girly he is. I never got past a boss that consisted of a female character in a pink robe/dress flanked by two creatures.

I loved the game, but can't remember the name for the life of me. Sorry it's so vague.

If the effeminate dude is named Milich Oppenheimer, then it's Suikoden.

Absorbing
Jun 20, 2011
Been looking for this game for a good while, not quite sure of the release date but I must have played it around mid-late 90's. So a Win95/98 game.

It was a platformer, started off near a vehicle, tank or a jeep if I recall correctly. I believe it must have been a Win95 game. You collected fruit (in a forest, or forest-like environment). This is all I recall from the actual game, and I think that was just the first level.

This is incredibly vague, and unfortunately the only other thing I recall from playing this game is the screen being horribly orange. Though that was the laptop monitor rather than the game itself, I couldn't say what colours the game had.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
over a decade ago I played a game on the Sega Genesis, that I remember as being incredibly fun, but now the only solid thing I can remember is that it was a platformy game and there was SOME kind of... ferris wheel? carnival? zone or theme to the game. Not a lot to go on, I know.

Equally unlikely, I had a PC cdrom of demo/shareware games, and there were two games on there that I played constantly. One was a space-trader-ish game that I keep thinking was called "solaris" but that doesn't turn up anything I could find. the graphics were very simple, lines and dots for planets.

the other of the two games was a lemmings-type game set aboard the RMS Lusitania, and you played some kinda scuba diver guy flipping switches and poo poo to reverse conveyor belts to keep the passengers safe and get them to an exit.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

teamdest posted:

over a decade ago I played a game on the Sega Genesis, that I remember as being incredibly fun, but now the only solid thing I can remember is that it was a platformy game and there was SOME kind of... ferris wheel? carnival? zone or theme to the game. Not a lot to go on, I know.

Equally unlikely, I had a PC cdrom of demo/shareware games, and there were two games on there that I played constantly. One was a space-trader-ish game that I keep thinking was called "solaris" but that doesn't turn up anything I could find. the graphics were very simple, lines and dots for planets.

the other of the two games was a lemmings-type game set aboard the RMS Lusitania, and you played some kinda scuba diver guy flipping switches and poo poo to reverse conveyor belts to keep the passengers safe and get them to an exit.

First one might be something like Zool, third one is "SOS" (beware, there's two very similar games called that).

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
not Zool, although it does look silly and fun. SOS was definitely the game I was thinking of, though!

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

al-azad posted:

Recca?

That's it. Really,really wish I still had the cartridge.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

teamdest posted:

The first triggered an old memory of the first gaming mag I ever bought, a copy of the short-lived Raze magazine, featuring something on a Genesis/Megadrive game with a very carnivalesque look to it. With Google's help, I've been able to ascertain that the game in question was Marvel Land. Maybe that's the one you're thinking of?

The second is most likely either of the Solar Winds titles.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

teamdest posted:

Is the first one Aero the Acro Bat?

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

biopanda posted:

I'm trying to remember a PC game that I played at a friend's house when I was younger. I want to say it was around 2001 when I played it last, but I'm pretty sure the game was made in the 90s.

I think it was about some sort of a private investigator who's name you could choose for yourself. He was sent to Sin City to investigate a murder done in a hotel and the local police had a suspect already, a woman called Jinx (probably..?), but they lacked evidence against her.
The game starts with the investigator being on a plane and the plane landing. Next the guy got into a cab that was soon stopped by a police officer. Whenever you had a conversation with someone you'd have three options to choose from. Usually only one of them would lead you onward in the game, while the other two might upset the NPCs or just lead to nowhere or in worst cases get you arrested or killed, which would end the game immediately.

The investigator arrived at the hotel but was soon comfronted by the main suspect in the crime, that woman, Jinx. Also, where as most graphics in the game were kinda paint-drawn and really simple with hardly any shadows or dimensions, the people in the game were FMV clips of actors. I can't remember what the woman said to the investigator, but nothing too bad I guess.

Anyway, the investigator then proceeded to the hotel he was supposed to stay in for the time of the investigation. In fact, the murder had happened in that particular hotel. About the hotel, I remember that the stairs were closed most of the time(near the end you could maybe use them?) and one of the floors (probably the second) was closed too. Like, when the investigator got on the elevator and it stopped on the second floor there was an obvious crime scene right in front of the elevator. There was those tapes that investigators use to line the position where they've found the body. The investigator's room was on the third floor and since you couldn't get off the elevator on the second, he went up and into his room.

There was a TV in his room and the player was supposed to turn it on before going to bed. There was the news on and they were talking about the murder. The investigator would fall asleep in the middle of the program, though, and have a nightmare about the case.

That's how vividly I remember the beginning of the game, but then it get's a bit more blurry.

The next morning the investigator was supposed to go to a restaurant, I guess... I think that on his way someone told him to not order something at the restaurant because it'd kill him, but I don't remember what it was. In the restaurant the player was first supposed to do a small puzzle: the menu had been ripped to several pieces and the player had to combine them into a right order. Yeah... then he could eat.

Most locations in the game were that kind where you'd visit several times during the game and they sometimes played a pretty critical role in it. And right stuff needed to be done in right order for the player to get on with the game. Mostly the game was about solving minor puzzles, confronting people and finding different kind of items as evidence.

Any ideas?

This is a long shot, but could it be MTV's Club Dead?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It was a game that was like star fox but for pc and had online multiplayer. There used to be a thread here about it but I can't find it

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby
I remember this RTS that came out around the same time as Warcraft3, with similar art style, except it's set in some fantasy ancient japanland. And you build units by training peasants.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Adrastus posted:

I remember this RTS that came out around the same time as Warcraft3, with similar art style, except it's set in some fantasy ancient japanland. And you build units by training peasants.

Battle Realms, most likely.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Capilarean posted:

That's it. Really,really wish I still had the cartridge.

Jesus, if you had a copy of Recca you'd be the coolest dude on the planet. I last saw it on Yahoo Japan auction for the low, low price of 900 bucks. USD.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Uncle Wemus posted:

It was a game that was like star fox but for pc and had online multiplayer. There used to be a thread here about it but I can't find it

Allegiance?

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Uncle Wemus posted:

Space Cowboy/ACE Online/Air Rivals

I've no idea what happened with this game and all its names and versions, some sort of issue with publishing in different territories or something?

MonsPubis
Sep 29, 2006

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a browser based game I played a while back. It was a sim/empire building game where you built your various towns and could create more towns and fight each other.

The key things I remember are the city maps were grid based and where your positioned buildings mattered. If you built a quarry beside a pile of rocks they would get a % bonus to their output. 2 Quarry beside each other would do the same(I believe). SO the idea was to build an optimal city.

It ended up people would make the optimal build charts for whatever the goal of your city was, like this:

HQQQH
HQQQH
HQQQH
FFFFF

Where H = House, Q = Quarry, F = Forest.

Thats not an accurate build, but it gives you the idea.

Anyone remember what this was called?

Lord of Ultima?

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I found a freeware game a long time ago where you could draw blocks and connect them with joints and springs and create things with them. Physics simulator and building thing. Anyone know what it's called? (There's probably loads of them but i can't find a single one now).

It was quite in-depth, you could set friction on objects and layer them behind eachother (the whole thing was in 2d though).

Success! It's PHUN.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 18, 2012

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

al-azad posted:

Jesus, if you had a copy of Recca you'd be the coolest dude on the planet. I last saw it on Yahoo Japan auction for the low, low price of 900 bucks. USD.

Holy poo poo.

It was most likely bootleg,actually. Everything was over here,distributed entirely through a network of shady Vietnamese marketplaces. Still,the Famicom I had was the real deal,at least.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

Tough one here. Super Famicom (Japanese) title. You're marooned on an island and have to survive while building shelter and finding a way off. I don't know if it's in the same series as Survival Kids/Lost in Blue but it had a similar premise. I only remember playing it on a random rom and now I can't remember the name without going through all 800 roms again.

A while ago, but this is probably Mujinto Monogatari.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

MonsPubis posted:

Lord of Ultima?

That's it! Thanks so much! :D

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
I remember a recent game, probably in the last year or so. I can't find the name of it and it's been bothering me, have seen a gameplay video once.

The game is a party based(?) action adventure rpg game. The distinctive and key feature of the game is that it is imperative to do the quests while there is daylight. If you are caught out of town at night, the game is nearly impossible to see, with mobs popping out of the woodwork to kill you.

Edit: Found it. Dragon's Dogma.

NarDmw fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 19, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

ShadeofDante posted:

A game back in the... Windows 95 era? Maybe earlier?

You played as someone trapped in a pyramid/tomb, and had to push blocks, avoid enemies and climb ladders and such to solve the problems. Each puzzle you solved unlocked different ones. I remember the animation of the character pulling himself up the side of blocks.

I want to know this too. Dust scraped when he moved blocks, right?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

teamdest posted:

If it isn't Marvel Land or Aero then it might be Dynamite Headdy.

(Or if you're horribly confused it might be Totally Rad on the NES.)

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I'm trying to find out the name of this game. I've already tried Googling, as well as using Tineye, with no luck :/

Edit: The game's name is apparently Great Legacy, but no record of it exists on GBC or NGPC, and those are the only two colour handhelds with a square screen that I'm aware of.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 21, 2012

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Little bit outside the concept of the threat, but I've forgotten the name of a game. Only its fairly recent. It's a mod that I think was released just this month (or I first heard about it this month, but it was definitely released less than a year ago), and thanks to a crazy week at work I can't remember anything about it.

All I can remember is that it was a mod to a space game (I do remember it wasn't the new Wing Commander), it's name had nothing to do with the game it came from, it was the first official non-beta release after several years of work, and it was a total conversion style mod. Also it was either in the news or mentioned in some SA post a week or two ago.

Edit:
Nevermind, lots of searching and dumb luck turned up Torn Stars, which I guess is a beta release rather than full.

nessin fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 28, 2012

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Okay, this is probably going to be hard one since I only vaguely remember it.

It was a shareware version of a late 90's or early 2000's adventure game. Modern setting. I think the player character was investigating something at a hotel, and I believe he had to search lockers or something in the beginning of the game. The demo ends when he makes it up to one of the hotel rooms and discovers a clue involving one of the windows...I think.

Come to think, it might be the same game that biopanda is describing, but a lot of the details he mentions don't ring a bell for me. Maybe it's because he had the full version.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
This is an old Genesis game. It was a top down helicopter combat game;. You would be placed onto a giant battlefield with a mission to accomplish, such as blow up this building or whatever. The battlefields were huge, and the only thing that really sticks out in my mind is going up along the shore and taking out stealth boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

astrollinthepork posted:

This is an old Genesis game. It was a top down helicopter combat game;. You would be placed onto a giant battlefield with a mission to accomplish, such as blow up this building or whatever. The battlefields were huge, and the only thing that really sticks out in my mind is going up along the shore and taking out stealth boats.

Urban/Jungle/Desert Strike, perhaps?

• Locked thread