Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Saint Septimus posted:

Arcana?

Aha, yes, that is it. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Dimix posted:

The game I'm thinking of was on the NES and had a 2nd or 3rd stage where you're on a raft going up a river and the end boss was a giant alligator or something. View point was similar to that of a shmup but as far as I know, the rest are side scroller levels. Never actually beat this game.

ProbablyDefinitely Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Editor's Note: Ignore the people speaking.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 13, 2012

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Been looking for an RTS, it'll be pretty old by now, at least 6/7 years but could be much older. I think from the trailer that it had a fantasy theme. I remember you could capture wild horses and put individual soldiers on them to make them into cavalry. Archers only had so much ammo and you needed to bring carts with you to resupply them. You could make training dummies for your soldiers to spar with to get better. Resources were transferred from the point of gathering to a collection point by cart.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Teddles posted:

Been looking for an RTS, it'll be pretty old by now, at least 6/7 years but could be much older. I think from the trailer that it had a fantasy theme. I remember you could capture wild horses and put individual soldiers on them to make them into cavalry. Archers only had so much ammo and you needed to bring carts with you to resupply them. You could make training dummies for your soldiers to spar with to get better. Resources were transferred from the point of gathering to a collection point by cart.

Sounds like either Battle Realms or that Three Kingdoms game I posted a little while ago, wait while I get the title.

Edit: Three Kingdoms: Fate of the Dragon.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 13, 2012

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

HoldYourFire posted:

Sounds like either Battle Realms or that Three Kingdoms game I posted a little while ago, wait while I get the title.

Neither, I'm afraid, though Battle Realms looks pretty close. IIRC it had more of an Ye Olde Albion feel to it rather than an Eastern feel.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
Could it be one of the rise of nations games?
https://www.riseoflegends.com

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Juc66 posted:

Could it be one of the rise of nations games?
https://www.riseoflegends.com

No, not that either I'm afraid.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HoldYourFire posted:

This game is hard as poo poo (for me), by the way. Playing the second scenario of the campaign, I invariably get wiped out. But yeah, though some might find it unncessarily tedious, I liked the fact that you had to manually put your soldiers on horses, provide them with weapons, and so on. I always appreciate that 'organic' kind of feel in strategy games, sort of like in Populous: The Beginning.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

This has to be about ten year ago or something but I remember a Diablo 2 looking game where you started in a prison cell in a castle and it had the same overview as Diablo had. The second level was a harbor where there was some kind of zombies and spiders IIRC. The music was fairly ambient and I think it was named Dragon-something.

I'm sorry that I cannot remember anything else but it's because the game was so creepy that me and my friend turned it off somewhere during the harbor level and never played it again.

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

Spergminer posted:

This has to be about ten year ago or something but I remember a Diablo 2 looking game where you started in a prison cell in a castle and it had the same overview as Diablo had. The second level was a harbor where there was some kind of zombies and spiders IIRC. The music was fairly ambient and I think it was named Dragon-something.

I'm sorry that I cannot remember anything else but it's because the game was so creepy that me and my friend turned it off somewhere during the harbor level and never played it again.

poo poo, I know this one - I played this as well. It was a Swedish game called Drakar och Demoner: Själarnas brunn but was released internationally as Dragonfire: The Well of Souls. http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/dragonfire-the-well-of-souls

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

ProbablyDefinitely Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Editor's Note: Ignore the people speaking.

Awesome, that's it. Thanks a ton. I randomly remember that level every few years and immediately think Little Nemo but I knew it couldn't be that.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Dimix posted:

Awesome, that's it. Thanks a ton. I randomly remember that level every few years and immediately think Little Nemo but I knew it couldn't be that.

You probably randomly remember that level because it's about as far as you ever got. I know that's what usually killed me the times I rented it!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

There's one game I played a few times in the mid '90s, forgot about, then partially remembered many years later. If I recall correctly, it was a sci-fi RPG, set in a space station of sorts. Everything's dark, you don't really know what happened, and you try to find out while fighting off various horrifying enemies. Lots of grey and black, with a small view-screen that showed a faux-3D first-person perspective, everything in view actually being sprites and movement consisting of discrete steps/90 degree rotations (a la Dungeon Master). I'm reasonably sure that it was a shareware game, if only because it looked fairly cheap and simplistic, and that it was made somewhere around 1993 or 1994. What I can tell you with certainty is that it's not Space Hulk, The Journeyman Project, or Iron Helix.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I've another one.

This PC game, I think DOS. It was sort of like a fighting game. You had about two dozen different types of monsters, ranging from stone golems, to these ostrich-things, and other things. You pick one, fight some other random monster, and so on.

I also recall that there was a 20-man free for all, not all at once though. There were like, four or five to start. Then as soon as one died, the next would jump in, until it went through all 20.

It had somewhat cartoony graphics, and I know it was on PC and probably DOS. Some time in the 90s or maybe very early 2000s.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

I've another one.

This PC game, I think DOS. It was sort of like a fighting game. You had about two dozen different types of monsters, ranging from stone golems, to these ostrich-things, and other things. You pick one, fight some other random monster, and so on.

I also recall that there was a 20-man free for all, not all at once though. There were like, four or five to start. Then as soon as one died, the next would jump in, until it went through all 20.

It had somewhat cartoony graphics, and I know it was on PC and probably DOS. Some time in the 90s or maybe very early 2000s.
Champions of Zulula or maybe its "elite edition"?

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

MMAgCh posted:

Champions of Zulula or maybe its "elite edition"?

This is it. Thanks, I greatly appreciate it. Been trying to remember the name of this for months...

A friend of mine has a request;

An SNES shooter, top-down. You controlled a ship, and you shot things, got money, and could use it to upgrade your ship. He remembers specifically that you could buy a shield for it. The last thing that he remembers is that it was very blue.

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 15, 2012

Parasytic
Jun 19, 2007

Feed me a stray cat.

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

An SNES shooter, top-down. You controlled a ship, and you shot things, got money, and could use it to upgrade your ship. He remembers specifically that you could buy a shield for it. The last thing that he remembers is that it was very blue.

Darius Twin?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

This is it. Thanks, I greatly appreciate it. Been trying to remember the name of this for months...

Sounds like Imperium to me.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
An early Xbox title; it was a game centered around playing a blood sport, where you use a disk to score goals, you can also win by Killing the other team, your team-mates could also die and require money from matches to be resurrected.

The teams all had different themes, which matched strengths and weaknesses. Such as the police are the most physically brutal, the kung fu team was the quickest.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

An early Xbox title; it was a game centered around playing a blood sport, where you use a disk to score goals, you can also win by Killing the other team, your team-mates could also die and require money from matches to be resurrected.

The teams all had different themes, which matched strengths and weaknesses. Such as the police are the most physically brutal, the kung fu team was the quickest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathrow_%28video_game%29

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Game for early computers (leaning toward Amiga). The theme had an organic sci-fi component, but I also remember some kind of desert motif as well, think H.R. Giger/Darkseed, only much warmer and less dour. The only thing that seems to ring a similar bell would be Beneath a Steel Sky or possibly Turrican.

e: whoops, found it myself. Perihelion.

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 19, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm looking for a mid-2000s MMORPG. I think it came out shortly before Lineage, because a lot of people switched to Lineage from it. There were two versions with different names, one primarily American, the other British. I think there was a Korean version too. I think one of the versions started with an S

4 Classes: Humans, who shot guns, green fairies, and probably barbarians/wizard characters. You could put gems in your guns that would either make them much stronger or break them.

You started out in a 4-way intersection of a town. There was a soccer field in the town that was PVP. In the main world, you killed rats, crabs and white tigers. There was a portal in the middle that would take you to a hell world that had demons and minotaurs. At either end of the hell world, there was a dungeon that had really tough bad guys. The roads to these dungeons had big minotaurs with rocket launchers guarding them.

Another portal went to a green world with hills and really tough dinosaurs. It was PvP. There were castles etc in it. Back in the main world, there was a tiny island that had high level bad guys to practice against.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm trying to remember an in-development game I saw a while back. It started out as a fairly generic "You wake up in a cryo tube with no memory" but it was oozing with atmosphere and the isometric sprite graphics were gorgeous.

Something about being on a space station looking for your wife and figuring out what happened to everyone. I think the story revolved around a religious sect were living in isolation on the station. I remember the trailer being very green and there was one part where he had to use a fuse to power three different machines. He powered one then scanned himself then moved the fuse to another machine to get medical treatment for something.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm looking for a game that should that someone made a video LP for. It's a first person puzzle/adventure game that I think came out within the last four years. I could have sworn the file name of the video was saved as something along the lines of "Cannibal" but I'm not finding anything with the name.

Only watched the first video - you start off in underground/cave environment, and you're tasked I think with collecting the parts necessary to give a person back their heart. As you walk, I think there are luminescent flowers/fungi that light up with your approach.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

M. Propagandalf posted:

I'm looking for a game that should that someone made a video LP for. It's a first person puzzle/adventure game that I think came out within the last four years. I could have sworn the file name of the video was saved as something along the lines of "Cannibal" but I'm not finding anything with the name.

Only watched the first video - you start off in underground/cave environment, and you're tasked I think with collecting the parts necessary to give a person back their heart. As you walk, I think there are luminescent flowers/fungi that light up with your approach.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about The Void

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

redmercer posted:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about The Void

Yeah, the file was called Cannibal-whatever because that's who did the LP

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That's it! Thanks.

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010

Travic posted:

I'm trying to remember an in-development game I saw a while back. It started out as a fairly generic "You wake up in a cryo tube with no memory" but it was oozing with atmosphere and the isometric sprite graphics were gorgeous.

Something about being on a space station looking for your wife and figuring out what happened to everyone. I think the story revolved around a religious sect were living in isolation on the station. I remember the trailer being very green and there was one part where he had to use a fuse to power three different machines. He powered one then scanned himself then moved the fuse to another machine to get medical treatment for something.

Stasis, still in development.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
I used to have this shmup game on my old HD, but it bricked. The game was windows freeware, from top down 2d and probably like 10 years old. The big thing about it was a comprehensive editor with joints and stuff, that allowed you to create your own enemies. There was no actual game, just fighting your creations.

Triangle fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 26, 2012

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Triangle posted:

I used to have this shmup game on my old HD, but it bricked. The game was windows freeware, from top down 2d and probably like 10 years old. The big thing about it was a comprehensive editor with joints and stuff, that allowed you to create your own enemies. There was no actual game, just fighting your creations.
Might this be Fraxy?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm trying to remember a freeware game you could download for PC. It was a "choose your own adventure" style comic (this is a key here, it was known for being comic book style) where you could pick your own choices, starring a married businessman. It was meant to be an action game but it was actually pretty hilarious if you made the wrong decisions, like at one point you could accidentally sexually assault someone and it'd ruin your reputation. I remember there was a fashion show near the end or something.

I downloaded it in like the mid to late 00's by the way.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 26, 2012

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
I've been trying to remember this old game I played on the PC around 2004 or 2005 I want to say. It was a free game you would download, and it was an isometric view, you had a party that I know consisted of a wizard, an archer, and a knight, and you had some quests to go about doing. I think the first area you start in was a dark medieval battlefield. I think it was almost like a diablo clone but I cant be so sure. I do remember it running like poo poo on my PC at the time, but I would enjoy trying to give it another shot nowadays.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
Okay, I've got one.
It was an arcade game. It was a third person shooter. There was name entry/character saving (?). It was multiplayer and machines were linked (I remember playing 2player with my friend, no idea if more people could join.) There was a control for movement and a control for aiming and it seemed super weird at the time to have one hand do one and the other do the other. I think one was 4 buttons and the other might have been an arcade stick or something. I think the machine was green or yellow. It was probably about a decade ago if not more that I played it. I think it was a dollar per credit back then. It was in Tennessee (maybe). I want to say you fought enemey soldiers/bosses/ aliens, there was a little bit of platforming and battleground movement/positioning.
I have no idea what it was called.

Anybody?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Down Right Fierce posted:

Okay, I've got one.
It was an arcade game. It was a third person shooter. There was name entry/character saving (?). It was multiplayer and machines were linked (I remember playing 2player with my friend, no idea if more people could join.) There was a control for movement and a control for aiming and it seemed super weird at the time to have one hand do one and the other do the other. I think one was 4 buttons and the other might have been an arcade stick or something. I think the machine was green or yellow. It was probably about a decade ago if not more that I played it. I think it was a dollar per credit back then. It was in Tennessee (maybe). I want to say you fought enemey soldiers/bosses/ aliens, there was a little bit of platforming and battleground movement/positioning.
I have no idea what it was called.

Anybody?
Uggghhhhh I think I know what you're talking about; it's an FPS/TPS where you had arcade buttons for WASD style movement and a joystick to aim, had weapons like mortars to completely gib dudes, and a lot of orange dudes in snow bases and sort of a Maximum Force/Area 51 attitude. It came out after stuff like The Grid.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

SlenderWhore posted:

I'm trying to remember a freeware game you could download for PC. It was a "choose your own adventure" style comic (this is a key here, it was known for being comic book style) where you could pick your own choices, starring a married businessman. It was meant to be an action game but it was actually pretty hilarious if you made the wrong decisions, like at one point you could accidentally sexually assault someone and it'd ruin your reputation. I remember there was a fashion show near the end or something.

I downloaded it in like the mid to late 00's by the way.

Masq.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

MMAgCh posted:

Might this be Fraxy?

Yesss, thanks!

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
PC game, early-mid 2000s. FPS in a future setting of humans going out to fight aliens on alien worlds, plenty of gibs. In an early cutscene, the recovery of memories from dead brains is mentioned in a discussion of some supposed super-alien or something.

Wet Caterpillar
Jan 22, 2010
Now I understand if finding this game is impossible but for years now I have remembered this silly game.

You were a little 2D triangular spaceship (literally just a triangle) and you had to fly around these little tunnels, but what made the game so amazing was the environment was destructible and you could shoot yourself little passages through the ground and even your ship could hit the walls and get stuck. A friend could even play with you and fly around a different colour triangle.

This was around the time of I think Windows 95, probably earlier.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
Sounds like either Gravity Force 2/Gravity Power on the Amiga, or a variant thereof. If it was definitely Windows then it could be something like Rocket Chase. If it's not one of those then it may be one of the others on this list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wet Caterpillar
Jan 22, 2010

Plinth posted:

Sounds like either Gravity Force 2/Gravity Power on the Amiga, or a variant thereof. If it was definitely Windows then it could be something like Rocket Chase. If it's not one of those then it may be one of the others on this list.

Thank you so much that is amazing, it was Gravity power/force for sure!

• Locked thread