Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Asphalt Engine posted:

Hmm, maybe you guys can help me out with one. Many years back, I remember playing this arcade game... a left to right beat 'em up with ninjas as the protagonists. Now, that wouldn't be anything special, of course, but I remember one of the playable characters was a large dog. For some reason, this has always stuck out in my memory and MAME hasn't been much help.

I went to klov.com, ticked "search game descriptions" and typed in "dog ninja" as the search terms. Got three hits but Sengoku seems the most likely.
Never played it though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Yoshifan823 posted:

OK, I've got one. A game I used to play with my cousin on his PS1, back about 1998, from a demo disc. You are in a cube that rotates, and you try to kill your opponents.

Blastchamber.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Vittek posted:

It was a sidescroller, you were driving a car and there were several platforms that you could go up and down and you were driving to the right. I don't even know what the point was ,but the only distinct feature I remember was the car.

Was the idea to paint all the platforms some colour?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Lotsatuned posted:

I remember a game we had on the school macs back in the early to mid 90's in England. It was this weird 3d game where you had to fly some kind of silver UFO around the place and shoot rockets at missiles (sounds a bit stupid but bear in mind it was on a mac in the early 90s). You were flying over some kind of green undulating landscape. I've been looking for this game for years.

Zarch?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Rollersnake posted:

Power Pete! It just came to me—was thinking you meant an Apple II or something.

Yeah, "old apple computer" should not mean a mac! :)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

The White Dragon posted:

When I was six or seven,

Plank Walker posted:

Looking for a SNES game one of my friends had when I was like 10.

As a tip, it would help more if you told us what year this was, rather than your age at the time.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Alex Mnemonic posted:

I played a game with my cousin back in 1989, when I was five. It was an Asteroids-style versus shooter, with Asteroids-style controls, where one player shot with lasers and the other shot with bullets. There were no actual asteroids in this game as far as I can recall. I'm also pretty sure it was a pure deathmatch game. I think it was monochrome, but I'm not entirely certain on this matter either.

Any ideas?

Sounds like some flavour of Space Wars. It was a very early arcade game, circa 1977, but you might have been playing a remake or emulated version. You don't say what platform it was on, so who knows.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Rock Tumbler posted:

1977, hell. Try 1962.

Well, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he might have been playing an actual arcade unit. It seems unlikely he'd be playing on an original PDP-11.

Having said that, though, I stand corrected and didn't think it was as old as that.

\/ So when the gently caress were you a kid, to give us at least SOME information that you'd know and would help?

Gromit fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 20, 2008

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Some of you guys need to remember to tell us when, and what the system was. Let's face it, if you can't remember those details then you might be describing a dream you had when you were 7.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

RomikQ posted:

This was in 94-95 (maybe 96), pretty sure it was on DOS or Windows 95. It was one of those prerendered games (like FMV but with computer graphics) and you were in a cave or some underground tunnels, and the first monster you had to fight was a big worm-like thing that came out of some hole in a big cavern, and the key was to shoot it in a red spot (a weak spot in it's mouth I think) that it showed once in a while.

This sounds like something I played at a friend's house. Came on multiple CDs, being at a time when CD-ROM drives were gaining popularity. It was on a rail, and you had to shoot things and duck into cover in order to progress. Sci-fi setting.
That's about all I can remember myself, unfortunately. You must have had a health bar or something, as I seem to recall you could take a number of hits from the aliens before you died.
First-person viewpoint, with a crosshair onscreen? There were cave sections, and others in metal corridors maybe?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Billy Gnosis posted:

Creature Shock?

That's definitely the one I'm thinking of, anyway.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

RedmanJB posted:

It was a 2D Galaga-style vertical side scroller. It had more flashier updated graphics then that classic though. It had a static star background and you would defeat each wave and then a new one would come. I believe you only had a standard laser weapon and you could press B for Bombs which you could throw.

I think there was close to 75 or 150 waves (these could be wrong) before your ship docked or flew into some station and then there was more. My memory is hazy, but I seem to remember the color green a lot.

Deluxe Galaga became Warblade, so it could be either of those. However, you didn't press B for bomb as far as I can remember.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

DorianGravy posted:

First, a pretty old PC game, maybe around 1990 or so. It probably came installed on the computer by default. It was viewed from the side and you had a little spaceship you flew around in above the terrain and shoot enemies...
<...>
The second game is probably easier to get. It was a PC game from around 1995 (I'm guessing), and you flew around in a little helicopter and your mission was to rescue some scientists that were scattered around, stranded. It was also viewed from the side and there were enemy ships you had to shoot. You started out above ground, but you also had to fly in some caverns below ground to find some scientists.

Like Gleng said, the first HAS to be Defender or some variant.

The second sounds a bit like Fort Apocalypse on the C64, but that predates 1995 by well over a decade. There's a remake called Raid on Fort Apocalypse at http://www.notsoftgames.com but seeing as this was completed only a few weeks ago I doubt it's what you want. :)

So in essence, I'm of no help whatsoever.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Kammat posted:

There's no forest at the start, but scouring around a bit with what you've provided, closest match is looking like Karateka to me. Most of the bad guys have caps, side scrolling, get into a building.

There's no way he's describing Karateka. If he had, he would have said something like "monochrome people, a hawk kept eating my face, and finally a bitch kicked the poo poo out of me when I tried to save her."

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Kalimar posted:

Alright, this is roughly my memory of seeing this game in the mid-early 90s...

Two duelists would stand on platforms above a body of water in a cave. Both duelists would throw a knife at each other, and on some condition, one would hit the other and I believe the duelist who lost fell into the water; I'm not certain, but that's a rough sketch.

I think it was on the NES.

Beachhead II did not come out on the NES, but was around 1985 or so on C64, Amstrad, Apple II etc. It featured 4 mini-games, one of which is described on wikipedia as:

quote:

Finally the player and the dictator face off, on opposite cliffs, separated by water. To defeat him, the player must make him to fall in the water by throwing knives at him. He tries to do the same to the player.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

You honestly don't remember if it was 2D, 3D, combat, trading, top-down, etc? Anything at all? For a game you played all the time?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Hal Incandenza posted:

poo poo son, we called that Rad Warrior where I come from!

VVVVVVV Yeah it was called rad warrior on my PC version too. Guess anti-rad made no sense in the good old USA.

edit: Or Antiriad, which actually does make no sense. What is an Antiriad?

Wasn't it the "sacred armour of Antiriad"? So I guess that's a place, rather than a thing?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

GreatGreen posted:

I used to play a game with a buddy of mine years ago on the SEGA Genesis.

It was a side scroller game with two player co-op where both players could fly all around the screen and fire in whatever direction they wanted. One of the characters was a white guy in a blue outfit, and the other was a black guy in a red outfit.

As far as gameplay went, it felt sort of like geometry wars, mechanics wise, only you moved from the beginning to the end of a level via sidescrolling instead of staying in one spot.

Can anybody help me out here? It's really been bugging me for a while.

Forgotten Worlds has to be it, just from the description of the two players.
Mentioning Geometry Wars put me off, as this game is not vector-drawn or as crazy as that. If you said it played like R-Type then it would have made more sense.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Final Gloom posted:

Another Arcade game:
You were a ninja and it was a sidescroller. The first level was in a city and you could grab flag poles and swing on them.

Sounds like the original Ninja Gaiden
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Gaiden_(arcade)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Rollersnake posted:

If you're misremembering hanging signs as flagpoles, then that accurately describes Ninja Gaiden Arcade.

Good to see you're on the case, detective! :)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Rollersnake posted:

Haha, good to see my years of sitting on my rear end playing ROMs had some use after all.

I meant you should have spent your time better reading the post 4 above your own.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

moller posted:

If you have mame or something there's an entire genre of games like this, called "reveal" usually. Qix and Gal's Panic are two of the original as far as I know. They often feature naked cartoon ladies.

I was disappointed to learn that Qix is pronounced "Kix", and not "Quix". A friend and I were also disappointed when we finally deemed ourselves good enough to get some crazy high score on doubles Gals Panic, only to discover someone had a legendary score on the machine already. Took the wind right out of our sails.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Here's an arcade game from the late 80s or early 90s:
Vertically-scrolling top-down space shooter. The big gimmick that makes it stand out is that you could pick up these things that let you make time go backwards for a few ticks. So if you were hit by an enemy shot and had enough of these things you could hammer the "time bomb" button until you were in a position to go in another direction and avoid it this time.
I recall one of the levels was a view down into a ravine, with the sides of it in perspective, with your ship flying along above it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Was it B.A.T. or B.A.T. II? It's cyberpunk and features a crude silhouette of your own body, as well as a weird wristwatch thing. They came out in 1990 and 1992.
But I never played it, so I don't know if it fits the rest of your description.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, that's not it. Like I said, it has a title that is really weird and has nothing to do with robots. The robot looked kind of like an ED-209.

Walker.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/walker/screenshots

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Is there any chance you could say "it scrolls the other way", or "worse graphics", or something, rather than "nope"?

edited to add: The Killing Game Show aka Fatal Rewind
http://hol.abime.net/2575

Gromit fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 9, 2010

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Rello posted:

I played a platformer about 10-15 years ago that I never remembered the name of, and all I can remember about the game is that the main character is green and the health bar was an eyeball that got increasingly red as you took damage. Anyone else remember a similar game?

Was it played on a Game & Watch, or the Cray YMP supercomputer?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

produce posted:

The game I'm looking for was something I would play a lot in middle school (helpful information begins hereafter).

It was on an old Apple computer, and was a black-and-white (i'm pretty sure no grayscale, beyond shading techniques) top-down RPG set in medieval times. There was a portrait of your hero on the right hand side of the screen, and I'm pretty sure you just collect gold/exp and do stuff for the king? It was kind of goofy looking.

also, I think maybe it wasn't even animated, but moved at a slideshow-like clip (a la chip's challenge)

One of the Ultima games? Back then, all movement outside the dungeon was tile-based in these sorts of games.
I know you said Apple, but "play a lot in middle school" is only helpful to us if we know when you went to middle school.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

produce posted:

And sorry I don't know what Apple computer it was! The OS was in color, and featured an app that was a sliding puzzle of the Apple logo.

If your Apple had an OS, it was probably a Mac of some sort, surely?

You still seem afraid of giving us a year, but I'm going to assume somewhere around 1972. If so, you were playing it on a Magnavox Odyssey.
(I'm just yanking your chain now - it's all cool.)

There's no chance it was Dark Castle, I assume? That doesn't look much like your description at all. The look of it might indicate the type of machine it was running on, though?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Text only adventure, or actiony?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cyberbob posted:

I'm looking for a game released around the 2000 mark. Similar in style to Wipeout, but was using vehicles with huge wheels. As I recall it, it didn't matter which way up your vehicle was, it was drivable from either orientation.
Had Fatboy Slim on the soundtrack.

Rollcage had fat-wheeled vehicles that worked any way up as well as Soul Surfing by FBS in the music.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cyberbob posted:

Yea that's it! Cheers :D

edit: Oh god, did it really look that bad?

Hmm, looks pretty much how I remember it (but lower res in that video), but I also remember it being loads of fun and not lovely at all. I probably last played it about 4 or 5 years ago.
Maybe I need to reinstall it and report back, but who knows if it works under Win7?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Lyrai posted:

The second was a space planet sim thing where I traded all my ships for gigantic amounts of squids who were weak but cheap to produce. The icon was a planet with a cowboy hat on it and it went "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW" when I started it up.

Spaceward Ho!? I have to admit I only suggest that because of the hat thing. I've never played it so don't know what the gameplay is like.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Pizzatime posted:

There was this one game for the Commodore 64. It's a 2D sidescroller. You're an astronaut or something, and your sprite is pretty tiny. I think you got some kind of jetpack and have to navigate through horizontal corridors. I don't know what the goal was, but I do know that there were also enemies that gave you trouble. I think I remember a specific enemy looking like some kind of rhombus. I remember everything looking pretty crazy. The colors were all kinda violetish, and the art style made it look like the graphics were glitching out and kinda fuzzy, because everything was so tiny. The music kicked rear end. This is all I know.

Maybe Strangeloop? You definitely had weird geometrical enemies here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yAVmIQ865c

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Probably Rescue Raiders on the Apple II, which I think had a 90s remake on the Mac?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's definitely not Marble Madness. Top-down, not an isometric perspective.

How about Bounder or Rebounder on the C64?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Michael Scott posted:

The map is ffa_duelofthefates, it was a custom map. Found a screenshot too of the forcefield leading to the well I described. Got the forcefield color right :D

What's great is that that is a scene from one of the Star Wars films, and you obviously don't remember that at all.
Or at least, it looks like where they killed Darth Maul to me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

baka kaba posted:

I just remembered another Elite-ish game, I think either on the Atari ST or Amiga, and the most interesting bit was you could open communications with other ships and chat to them. It had a natural language parser, like a chatbot, so you could mess around shooting the poo poo about the space weather or whatever, then outright threaten them and start demanding all their stuff.

Federation of Free Traders?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

...! posted:

I'm standing by that as a poor description.

I think it was an arcade game. You're this fat guy with, I think, some sort of liver disease. You can't stop eating, and I think there was a Ghostbusters tie-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm reading this as a ABBBA non-sequitur.

It was also top-down, and I think the guy was hopelessly lost or something.

• Locked thread