Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Riidi WW posted:

OLD OLD game, I played it on my apple 2gs. You were kind of a stick figure and you had to kind of had to solve puzzles to make it through I think three different castle stages? I think it had "Quest" or "Castle" in the name. I think you could get keys that looked kind of like percent signs and there were little floating flower enemies iirc.

Was it an RPG type game like The Temple of Apshai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Scarlet Hot Dog posted:

I've been looking for 2 top down PC games from 1996-1999 I think. I believe they were made by the same companies. One was a fantasy game in the style of gauntlet with more RPG elements, the other was sci fi based. I believe they both used sprite based systems but looked really cool nonetheless. The fantasy one had an ad showing your character going up against huge swarms of enemies in a medieval setting. It wasn't Machine Hunter.

This is kind of vague but is the fantasy one Get Medieval or Rage of Mages and is the sci-fi one Gruntz? It might also be Harbinger but that came out in 2003.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 14, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

Star Wars game on the PC that had episode one. Third person. You could reflect energy weapons with your light saber. There was a rocket launcher that kicked butt. There were a lot of droids to fight against. Felt like a console game.

Uh... Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace. Came out on PC and PS1. Really bad but strangely awesome granted you get passed the stupid Gungan level.

I'm looking for an arcade game that was a mix between racing and shooter. Player 1 drove the car through a first person view and player 2 had the machine gun. The intro had a bunch of thugs shooting out your windshield and your characters are like "ah hells nah" and give chase against legions of armed thugs. If you played single player you were limited to both driving and shooting which was clunky as gently caress.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SteveMcQueen posted:

I was trying to think of this the other day and could not remember the name so maybe some goons could help me.

The game I'm thinking of came out when I was in middle school, so late 90s. It was an RTS and I want to say it had the word "earth" in the title though I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Each level revolved around you starting a colony; your giant colony ship would land and then you would have to start building your civilization. I'm sure there was a military aspect but I don't remember it that well. What I mainly remember is you had to mine iron and coal separately and then build another building to turn them into steel. The landscape was tiled, including a z axis. You had to find the different resource deposits and then use them appropriately.

This is probably the most pathetic description but maybe someone has an idea.

Sounds like Earth 2150

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wet Fifty posted:

I need help remembering the title of an arcade game. It was a two player, side by side arcade game where you sat in a seat and used two control sticks to pilot, for lack of a better description, battle tanks. Mecha, if you will.

You would battle in a 3 round player vs player duel in various environments. You could pick up power ups and ammo as well as shields. It was full 3D as well. I remember playing this in various mall arcades in the mid 90's.

For the life of me, I cannot remember this game's name. I think one of the pilots you could choose was Mori Yamamoto. I know her last name was Yamamoto, but the first name is what I remember hearing. I did a few google searches and didn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like Virtual On.

quote:

It's something I only remember in dreams and I'm not completely sure if it even exists, but I remember playing some sort of top down 2D arcadey space sim akin to the Escape Velocity series, but it wasn't EV. It was on the PC, and the big thing I really remember about it was that it had a galaxy overview map thing and something I haven't seen again, a terrestrial map for fights on planet.

Could be any one of the Star Control games or possibly StarFlight.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 17, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Serious Michael posted:

A mech game for the PS1. It was sort of on rails, 3rd person, you flew through space shooting at things. I think it had live action FMVs.

Omega Boost

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I remember a game, probably developed by Europeans, that took place in WWII Germany. You were this funny little mercenary with a big mustache and took a group of other mercenaries on some pulp action quest to recover an artifact or something. The game was a top down strategy/RPG hybrid and I distinctly remember the graphics being cartoony, colorful, and pretty good for the time. The name was something weird like Gooka/Gorky/Galooka (it's not Gooka or Gorky but it had a weird non-English name like that) and they did a review on it in Gamespot TV around 2002-2003.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

spacejew posted:

Sweet reply time, any clue where I can get it, like GoG?

There's no digital distribution AFAIK and its nearly impossible to run on anything other than Windows 98. There's a Dreamcast version but the game switches from first person shooter to fighter and the DC's controller sucks.

The game is pretty hit and miss. The story is good, it has loving David Bowie, and for the time (1999 I think) the graphics and sheer scope of the game was absolutely massive but the action segments are terrible.

This is also an early David Cage (Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy and soon-to-come Heavy Rain) so prepare for tons of pretentious philosophical ramblings and like Fahrenheit is to Nietzsche, Omikron is to Philip K. Dick.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Murder Mystery posted:

There is a side scrolling beat-em-up game on the snes, I think, that I have never been able to remember the name of. There were 3 characters to choose from, one was like a Captain America rip off, one girl had like a fire-related special attack, and there a big blond guy with electricity-related attacks. Any idea?

If the big blond guy is also the "captain america ripoff" and the girl with fire is a baby piloting a robot suit, try Captain Commando.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

I remember a game, probably developed by Europeans, that took place in WWII Germany. You were this funny little mercenary with a big mustache and took a group of other mercenaries on some pulp action quest to recover an artifact or something. The game was a top down strategy/RPG hybrid and I distinctly remember the graphics being cartoony, colorful, and pretty good for the time. The name was something weird like Gooka/Gorky/Galooka (it's not Gooka or Gorky but it had a weird non-English name like that) and they did a review on it in Gamespot TV around 2002-2003.

Grom: Terror in Tibet

Thanks go to myself.

Thank you self.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Frankosity posted:

No, that's definitely not it.

It probably is ESWAT, but playing it up to the third stage rang absolutely no bells at all. My only memory of the game was the level I mentioned (which may not have even been the first) and once you beat the boss, which was some kind of giant mechanical thing, there was a cutscene where you switch into the power armour and you do the stage again, except the lighting's changed and you go past the boss, which is in the background.

The reason I discounted ESWAT was that you seem to get the cyber-suit permanently after the second level, unless there's a specific stage where this happens or something.

I sort of know what you're talking about. I remember playing a genesis game I could never recall years later where you're some dude with a gun and by the third level or so you get into a power suit. The first level was a dark space ship or something. I vaguely recall a Metroid-ey grappling hook and no it's not Phantom 2040. I'm definitely searching for this game as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Soar Loser posted:

2 games from the dos era.

The first one was pretty much like "Adventure" for the atari http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_(Atari_2600) except that it had acsii graphics and I am pretty sure it had castle in the name. EDIT: It looks like I might be thinking of dark woods 2, but that doesn't quite look right. The game I played had no color and you definitely started out in a castle. If you went right from the starting area you got to a courtyard and could xhexk the fountain to find a secret key? or something. I also remember flying bats, and a ogre that would own you.

The second was one of those shareware games and I think it came packaged wiht chips challenge. It was a platformer and you played as a kid with a raygun, raygun might have been in the name. You got all kidns of cools weapons and tools like pogo sticks and stuff.

There was a third, but I just remembered it myself. "JUNGLE JILL" http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/jill-of-the-jungle/
I don't know why but I just got a big urge to go back and play all my favorite dos games, jungle jill was super awesome.

The second game is most likely Commander Keen, probably the earliest example of episodic content in video game history.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

The other was on the Amiga about 1987. I think I played a demo of it on either a cover-disk or a Fred Fish disk. You were running around some sort of surreal landscape, seeing a small part of it on each screen, and it looked a little bit like a smaller (4x4?) chess board with different heights and sometimes items on some of the squares, and you were a wizard who could shoot lightning. Googling "Amiga wizard lightning", obviously, has been less than helpful.

Was it a sidescroller or isometric game? Right now I'm thinking it's either Solomon's Key or Knight's Lore/Pentagram.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

This sounds a lot like Solstice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbYlkts_USI

As a little side note, Solstice was a console exclusive but it was inspired heavily by Knight's Lore and Pentagram which were PC games hence why I mentioned them. But Solstice is a good game in its own right and everyone should play it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Does anyone know the name of this quirky Japanese only PS1 SHMUP that takes place in an amusement park? I always called the game Hazard Park for some reason but a google search yields nothing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Saint Septimus posted:

Harmful Park I guess.

Harmful Park. Thanks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Whelp, another game I once played but now forgot is running through my head and an hour of searching leaves me empty. It was a 2D side scroller on the Genesis (possibly SNES as well but I played it on Gen) where you played an anthropomorphic cat or something who was also a pirate/captain of a sailing vessel. In the first stage the bad guy steals your ship and you're chasing after it while dodging falling boulders and stuff. The 2nd stage takes place on the ship and there are hippo(???) badguys with guns.

I remember the game being balls hard because I could never beat the 2nd stage. My memory keeps trying to remember the title as being "Hook something" but Hook is a game based on that Robin Williams movie. The European title had a cooler sounding name than the US one. Recently playing Captain Claw made me think of the game as the two shared some similarities (Caribbean backdrop, anthro characters, main character was a cat captain thing...)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm looking for the name of a fighting game that was perhaps a PC exclusive from the early 90s. It had graphics on par with Mortal Kombat games and all the playable characters were distinctly human except for one which was sort of a lizard-man (or some other green monster). The game was fully 2D and rendered in a realistic style. The box art of the game had mostly dark grey and red or orange, there was possibly a big letter or symbol in it. For some reason, I think the name was something like "apocalypse" or something similar.

This has been bugging me for years. Too bad my memories are so vague. :saddowns:

Eternal Champions? (which, by the way, was way gorier than MK but didn't get half the press).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

secretplot posted:

Sounds like High Seas Havoc to me!

High Seas Havoc it is! I always remembered the game by the European title Capt'n Havoc so the "High Seas" part threw me off in my search.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jack Krauser posted:

I post this in every thread to no response but here goes:

Played a demo of an FMV fighting game on the PC in 95-96. You had to click at the right time to punch and if you failed, you'd get knocked out. If you got knocked out, these ladies would laugh at you.

Help... please? Been bugging me for many years.

Best I can recommend you doing is going through Mobygames list of "interactive movie" games to find it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fuoco posted:

I remember playing a demo like that too. Is it A Fork in the Tale?

Holy crap, I have to buy this!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Karo posted:

These are not technically games, but I guess this is still the thread to ask for it.

In the early nineteens there was a demo for the Atari ST demonstrating its sound capabilities, including sampled speech. It was only a static picture with a song which was called "foreign affairs" sung by a female singer. Is there any way to listen to this again?

Another thing would be seeing pictures of printshop 1.0 from Broderbond software again. I finished a school project with this and I'd just like to see some pictures of the editor again. They still sell higher versions of it(!), and wikipedia has one image, but more would be nice.

Sorry for the weird requests.

The demo is public domain. If you want to listen to it digitized by the Atari ST then download SainT (an emulator) and the Foreign Affair demo (any website with ST roms likely has it).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

reborn posted:

Alright, I was sitting here minding my own business when all of a sudden I recalled a game I was excited to see come out but I can't recall the name to check up on it. It was being created by a small company and started development as many as 4 years ago.

The last I had seen of it they had released 3 tech demos. It was a first person genre set in fantasy medieval times. I recall one of the demos was a large ogre roaring and they did a 360 around it showing off their mapping tech. Another was showing off their shadow tech watching a dragon stoop on a rock and walk around it roaring at you. The last tech demo was them spawning what looked like tons of little goblins and shooting a bow or crossbow at them to kill them.

They also released a short blip they had completed which showed the user running through a huge castle fighting ogres and goblins as he went with bow/arrow and a sword then going outside to see a huge land and a dragon flying in.

(This is no Oblivion)

If anyone has some information on this game let me know!

Project Offset. It was started by former employees of S2 Games. Nothing else has come out since those amazing tech demos almost 5 years ago. Intel bought the company for some reason (presumably to help advertise their new chips) but this was like 2 years ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

stradiwari posted:

There was a true 3D game on the amiga where you start in a spaceship flying over a checkerboard landscape with various very simple objects in it, a mushroom tower and a fence or something. You could leave the planet and fly into space, where red space pirate ships attack you. You could fly to other planets as well and check out the surface. When you came too close to the sun, the screen would melt.

I never understood how to play it and now I even forgot the name.

Sounds like Frontier: Elite II.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

There's this game that has forever been haunting me, it was a US game on the TG-16. I have incredibly limited memory of it, as it was a friend's system. He had this game and Bonk.

All I remember was that is that there was this cloud floor (think Super Mario vine area) on a blue background, and a stylized Gundam-type robot was either the character or onscreen for some reason. There was also a rainbow. Wasn't a sidescrolling ship flying game, but probably a sidescroller of some sort.

Yeah.

Sounds like Lords of Thunder. It was a shooter but you played as a valkyrie-robot-thing and the first stage was a cloud level.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

IIRC the prison part is like the first playable level. I kind of remember it's somewhere in some dark woods at night, and you're going in to break someone out.

Try The Legend of Dragoon. It begins in the woods with a dragon attacking the hero and then 10 minutes later someone he knows is in prison so he busts them out. I don't know about haunted mines but it's worth a shot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kauka posted:

A game on I believe SEGA Genesis, might have been another early SEGA console. You play this witch (or maybe a wizard), sidescrolling 2d-platformer. You collect ingredients on every level that give you a new magic when the level ends. I think. It was a very long time ago :-\

The Misadventures of Flink, back when Psygnosis was good. Here's a longplay.

The Sega CD version is actually superior compared to the Amiga CD32 and the Genesis version is a horribly dumbed down port. Amazing 2D graphics only surpassed by Rayman a year later but who the gently caress designed the main character?

He's a 10 year old kid with a bowl cut in a red leotard. I don't want to meet the wizard who enforces this dress code on his apprentices.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Atoramos posted:

I remember some type of cartoony puzzle game back from the 90s on the pc. I seem to remember you played as this blue dude, and I think the disc itself was red. Puzzles included reflecting lasers and I think I remember something about making an insect.

AHHH GOD! I was going to ask for this very same game because I remember it as well. It was a hybrid point and click adventure game and the making an insect thing revolved around you pitting it against other bugs in a fight. The opening cinema had a joke about cutting the main character's pension.

It was captain something...

mastapasta posted:

A game for the Nintendo 64 where you played as these weird dudes with tongues that would do wacky poo poo. I remember loving this game, but I forgot pretty much everything but that.

Chameleon Twist. Pretty underrated series IMO.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 13, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bojangles posted:

I remember seeing a video for a game, might have been on gametrailers, the game looked similar to cross between Mass Effect and James Bond in a modern day setting. The video showed abilities that could be activated during gunfights such as an ability that let you lock to targets like a GTA game. There was branching dialogue and a skill tree similar to Mass Effect. The video in question had a single character in a third person perspective and the objective of the mission he was on was to destroy a weapons cache in a train yard. There were two opposing factions one of which you could set as non hostile through dialogue with their leader. Sorry I can't be more descriptive it was a month or two back when I saw this, the game probably hasn't been released yet or it flew severely under my radar.

Alpha Protocol. It was supposed to be released this year but got pushed back. Good thing, too. As much as I'm looking forward to it the videos showed a lot of problems in the AI, controls, and animation. I'd rather wait for a perfected game than a shoddy one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Catbasketry posted:

I'm guessing you're thinking Revenge of Shinobi for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis. One of the levels was a junkyard, another was sort of a factory. The opening level was not this though, the opening level took place in a Japanese temple or village, filled with bamboo spike traps and such.

There's a good dozen of these sorts of ninja games though, and three Shinobi games for the Megadrive alone.

The first two stages of Shadow Dancer do take place in a burning city and dilapidated city backdrop respectively.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nickhimself posted:

This was a top-down fantasy RPG on the Sega Genesis. It reminds me of Ultima Online in the way it was presented (3 quarter view).

I really don't remember much of anything about this game. I went to a graveyard, found a dagger then tried to go to some mountains and fought some harpies? I don't know... i'm sure that's way off.

I've never been able to remember the name of this game.

Although I don't remember if there are harpies in it, Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun looked almost exactly like Ultima VII.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nickhimself posted:

No, that's not it. I don't remember having other people in my party. Granted, I didn't play it for that long, but it was pretty hard and the game broke before I was able to play much of it (physically broke, I have no idea what happened but it got severely destroyed)

Well, only other 3/4 top down RPGs on the Genesis I can think of are Rings of Power, Light Crusader, and LandStalker.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Logite posted:

Exactly. Thanks~

FYI some of the Creatures games are available on Good Old Games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nickhimself posted:

None of those are it. It has a more zoomed out view than Light Crusader does.

I'm not destined to find this game ever again :(

Now I want to find this game out of principle. Only others I can think of are Sorcerer's Kingdom which had a few graphics that were isometric and Beggar Prince which is a recent release (2006) so it's probably not right.

There really aren't any other isometric RPGs on the Genesis and I can't remember any other isometric games on the system period.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nickhimself posted:

I know, I don't understand why this game disappeared from the face of the earth.

I want to say it was published by EA but I could be wrong. I've searched through so many genesis roms but have never stumbled upon it :(

Edit: I may have found it... I've gotta check my ROMs but this may be it.

EDIT 2: YES! THIS IS IT! THANK YOU INTERNET!

Glad you found it because I never would have mentioned it. I passed it by every time thinking "It looks like Ultima VII but he rejected the D&D game... there is a graveyard but no mountain dwelling harpies as I recall..."

Tough game as well. There was a PC sequel rushed to the shelves and I think the dude who made it eventually released it as freeware. The sequel is gorgeous for its time and leagues better than the original and somewhat beatable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GenoCanSing posted:

Oh man, I forgot about this until today.

It was an original PSX game. It was a sort of action strategy game played on single screen levels, with either bombs or traps. It wasn't bomberman and didn't have a cartoonish look. It was sort of a puzzle game, sort of action-strategy. I think you played it on one player with a com partner against two com enemies. Sort of a futuristic game show type atmosphere.

Sounds like Trap Gunner: Countdown to Oblivion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hurracan posted:

OK, this thread got me thinking about a game I played on the Genesis at least 11 years ago. The cartridge I rented had a bad battery, so I couldn't save or make much progress on the rental.

It was top-down or 3/4ths-overhead, generic-fantasy adventure.
I remember fighting lizard-people in a swamp(?). There was some roleplaying element for progression that I remember being compelling.

I skimmed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_Mega_Drive_games but none of the names popped out at me. I could just be going blind.

Warriors of the Eternal Sun, which I was trying to pass off earlier, does have a swamp, lizard men, 3/4 view, and it's a generic fantasy game!

quote:

Ok, I got another one.

It's 1999 and I'm at a friend's house, he has I think a PS1, but it could maybe be a Dreamcast if those were out yet.

Sounds like Power Stone.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

Funny thing is that my rented copy of WotES years ago also had a faulty battery so I couldn't save.

Is it the right game? Because LandStalker is also 3/4 perspective, has a swamp shrine/dungeon, and lizard men.

drat, why do the 12 RPGs the Genesis had blur together?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kin posted:

There was an RTS from sometime in the last 3 or so years i think that i played at a friends house.

It was set in modern times and all i remember is that you were US/UK forces or whatever and that one of the earlier levels had you outside of buckingham palace or something, there might also have been one of those cover systems in place with all the dots along a wall and stuff, but don't hold me to that.

I thought it might have been world in conflict, but it wasn't. It was just a typical top down military RTS that seemed to have a decent narrative from what i remember. The countries may or may not have been under terrorist attack.

It's been bugging me for a week now and i'm not in touch with my friend anymore so can't just call him up.

Command and Conquer 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Combo posted:

The only thing I remember about the game is a skeleton/zombie on the cover of it, and it seems like it had a black and white (maybe checkerboard?) and red on the cover. I thought it was Phantasmagoria but I looked it up and it wasn't that, and its driving me crazy. Probably early to mid 90s PC game.

Stonekeep?

• Locked thread