Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
I'm looking for a giant robot combat game from the mid-to-late nineties on the PC that I played at a friends house.

It was a Fighting-Robots game, where you were part of a resistance movement. You fought in Europe/Asia/Australia/Africa, where you were trying to take out assets from the enemy (there were 3 kinds; Power plants, factories, and military bases). They were square icons on a continent map. You'd click on them, and you'd get an intelligence brief about what sort of enemy forces you'd be facing.
You also had bases that might come under attack that you'd need to defend.

There was some story line about the company that developed the mechs (I can't remember the in game term) kept better versions for themselves, then staged a world-wide take over.

I just remember when you switched between continents, it would take you to a "secret base". Europe was "Owl Base" and Asia was "Crab Base". I can't remember Africa or Australia's names.

The game was timed in days, and if you took too long, there was a cut scene where the Corporate dudes kill everyone in the North American resistance base, and then game over.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

duckfarts posted:

Strategy? This sounds kind of Front Mission-y. Was this on PC or console?

PC, it was was realtime FPS type (you were in the cockpit of your giant robot)

Edit:

Samfucius posted:

The second is a really old game for the macintosh where you're at a research facility in the jungle and your job is to take pictures of dinosaurs. You never had much film on your person. The only other being in the facility was like a robot or alien or energy being or something. The part where you were underwater staring into unbroken dark blue fading to black waiting for one of those huge sea dinos with huge teeth to swim out of the dark freaked me right the gently caress out. The graphics were really early 3d.

It wasn't Nanosaur by chance, was it?

Edit 2:
No, it looks like its more than likely Dinosaur Safari

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 15, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

SlenderWhore posted:

I downloaded this free turn-based 2d RPG game a few years back and forget what it's called. The few things I remember are that there's a central character who is a "dark ninja/'I'm an angsty experimental warrior who wants to be good!'" archetype and he becomes one of the bad guys a quarter of the way through and doesn't rejoin the party until the game is almost over. There were lots of party members. I recall an Indiana Jones type of gunslinger who traveled around with his female summoner companion. And one white-mage girl reveals she was raped by enemy soldiers about halfway through the game in a ridiculously hammy scene that this particular game is infamous for. I think there may have been an air-ship battle scene where you jumped from ship to ship.

Anyone know what it's called? It's seriously bugging me since I want to recommend it to a friend who is looking for free traditional-style RPG games as it has a FFIV-ish vibe to it but no dice.

Was this one of the Wild Arms series?

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

James Garfield posted:

I don't remember much here, but this was a game where you built towers on floating islands that shot at each other. I think it was almost all multiplayer, and it was magic-themed. There was definitely a crossbow tower that had less range than the other towers but could shoot in an arc instead of a straight line. It might have been free. I think I played it for a while in 2006 or so.
I don't remember if it was any good or not, but it keeps bugging me.

Almost definitely NetStorm:Islands at War

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Guesticles posted:

I'm looking for a giant robot combat game from the mid-to-late nineties on the PC that I played at a friends house.

It was a Fighting-Robots game, where you were part of a resistance movement. You fought in Europe/Asia/Australia/Africa, where you were trying to take out assets from the enemy (there were 3 kinds; Power plants, factories, and military bases). They were square icons on a continent map. You'd click on them, and you'd get an intelligence brief about what sort of enemy forces you'd be facing.
You also had bases that might come under attack that you'd need to defend.

There was some story line about the company that developed the mechs (I can't remember the in game term) kept better versions for themselves, then staged a world-wide take over.

I just remember when you switched between continents, it would take you to a "secret base". Europe was "Owl Base" and Asia was "Crab Base". I can't remember Africa or Australia's names.

The game was timed in days, and if you took too long, there was a cut scene where the Corporate dudes kill everyone in the North American resistance base, and then game over.

Reposting with some new info. I came across a post else where where someone gave the base listings

Eagle-Base - North America
Owl-Base - Europe
Dragon-Base - Asia
Lion-Base - Africa
Wolf-Base - Australia
Jaguar-Base - South America

But other than that the game was from around the same time as Xcom, still no name or anything.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

chairface posted:

This sounds like Metal Marines which had PC and SNES versions that were pretty popular.

sorry, not that one. It was a First-person perspective robot combat game like MechWarrior.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

baromodo posted:

1. An (MS-DOS?) 90's shareware space combat game. It probably came from the cover of a UK PC magazine. It was in blocky 3D and the view was from a cockpit perspective. It involved shooting spaceships and asteroids (which would break into smaller rocks in classic fashion). When your ship was destroyed you would automatically assume control of another ship on your side which was previously AI controlled. The most memorable thing was the classical soundtrack, which I believe was Gustav Holst's The Planets: Mars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I).

I'm thinking of two games that sound like this (which might possibly be the same game). Were you trying to defend a station, and was your AI wingman mentioned in the fluff as being a 200-year old cyborg?

Or were you sort of flying along a wrap-around "track" of space. You couldn't turn left or right, but you could flip 180 and 'strafe' left and right.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

baromodo posted:

I don't remember there being anything like a plot or station, my memory is pretty vague about it though. There were several AI ships on your side, no personality or back-story from what I recall. The defining feature was that you would assume control of a friendly AI ship if your current ship was destroyed (and the kick-rear end music of course). If memory serves, it controlled like a sort of proto-xwing, in full 3D space and there was a radar (maybe). The graphics were very primitive, simple polygons. I'm wondering if it was ever made into a full game at all, it probably came on a PC gamer cover disc as an indie effort.

That sounds more like the 200 year old cyborg one. I played the shareware demo on one of those 250 shareware titles CDs. I don't think there was any music, so it could just be a different 3D space shooter.

But I do remember that when your ship was exploded, you were teleported to your wingman's craft.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I'm pretty sure this is LineWars II: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineWars_II

That's what I was thinking it was too.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Al! posted:

This is a long shot but all I can remember is a Mac shareware game from the mid to late 90s with pre-rendered 3d sprites, top down level-based asteroids-like gameplay, upgrades or power ups and most importantly traffic cones in space.

Was it Lunatic Fringe by chance?

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Another one I remember playing around the same time was a mech combat one where you had weapons like remote control guided missiles. You could also jump out of your mech and hijack others, including a scorpion one?

The hijack mechanic sounds like G-Nome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Shugotenshi posted:

A friend of mine back in the 90s had a Genesis game; I think it was an action game somewhat like Mario but with item gathering. I know some levels had a candy theme but the most memorable part was that the first boss had a rock-paper-scissor game to beat him. Graphically it looked like a very early Genesis game.

I have never been able to find it even browsing Genesis screenshots. Does anyone happen to remember this hidden gem? I know for sure it was not Alex Kidd.

Googling Genesis Rock Scissors Paper Boss tells me Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7jI4q2b65I

• Locked thread