Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the real blah
Oct 31, 2010
There was this adventure game from the mid 90s that I found on a mail-order shareware CD from a company called Software USA.

I remember some of the puzzles, but I never ended up finishing it. You started off on a bus going to visit your eccentric uncle/grandfather/something like that. When you get to his house you found some device (a cane?) that allowed you to travel to different dimensions using 4 digit codes. The first place was some fascist state and you had to solve a puzzle in the newspaper to get the prize money to buy another dimensional travel device that was confiscated by the government. At that point you went from dimension to dimension picking up item after item trying to find your uncle or whatever. It was a pretty simple solve puzzle -> get item -> use item to progress to next puzzle -> repeat kind of thing.

There was a pyramid you had to climb by solving riddles, a spider-web bridge that required special shoes to cross, a science museum where you had to solve science themed puzzles, and a monastery themed maze with a ghostly monk following you, trapping you in a corner of the maze, forcing you to reload the dimension to try again.

I think the maze is where I quit, but it bothers me that my younger self never finished it.

Like I said, it was on a shovelware CD from "Software USA." Apparently they released tons of these CDs, and I'm surprised my attempts to find a :spergin: wiki dedicated to list every title ever showcased have come up empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010

AndyAML posted:

This is Uncle Julius and the Anywhere Machine, promising hours of absorbing play for ages 8-104! I remember playing through the demo version of this a long time ago, and was also wondering about the name.

That's it! Thanks!

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010

Matt Cruea posted:

Super Nintendo Game where the hero is a nerdy schlub who is really afraid of everything in the level.

Lester the Unlikely?

edit:haha

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

I was talking with a friend, and we started talking about death as a mechanic to progress in a game we both can't remember the name of. It may have been a Flash game or an indie game - a platformer. You would die, and your 'ghost' would go through the level again doing everything you did previously, while you could control your current guy and do whatever. For example, your first guy would go and hold a switch for a few minutes or something, and then you will kill yourself, and then your new guy would run over to a door that was being held open by the ghost of your previous guy holding the switch. Something like that anyway.

This sounds exactly like The Company of Myself which is a flash game that took a ton of inspiration from Braid, including a very pretentious story.

• Locked thread