Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

orf posted:

Someone was talking to me today about random PC games from the past and we got stuck on one he mentioned...
Here are the things he remembered:

- RTS, probably from the mid to late 90s (he said he played it around the same time as Lords of the Realm II)
- fantasy/medieval in setting
- units were all human but were poorly made and they were all super muscular and disproportionately huge
- there were like science/tech towers
- priests that could convert other units.
- he believes it had an isometric POV

Any ideas?

Another good guess would be Populous: The Beginning. See if he recalls whether it was 2D or 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

catears posted:

Here's one. That's pretty much all I remember, the name completely escapes me...
Punching insects always reminds me of Entomorph. Could that be it?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Pipski posted:

Having flashbacks to a scene from a game that I can't recall. Pretty sure it was probably an FPS, but it had a mech segment of some kind that took place in an icy environment. You had to try and kill this other enormous mech, but there were also guys and tanks and what-have-you trying to stop you. (Not MGS4, I realise I just made it sound a bit like it.) I seem to remember that it started in a `U' shaped courtyard but you generally ended up playing hide & seek with the other mech around some gigantic walls of ice. It was fairly brutal, I think. Not a Mechwarrior game, not FEAR 2, not MGS4 ... any ideas? Going back a fair few years with this.

Lost Planet, perhaps?

The only FPS game I remember having equal FPS and mech elements is Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, but that was all the way back in 1998.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Starsiege was pretty unusual in that its mechs were agile enough to permit FPS-like movement.

Do you have any year bracket it could fit in?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

beanbrew posted:

This is a game I only remember foggily, but here goes:

I think it's a PC game from the mid nineties, and it's in 3D. It had a time travel theme or something, and it was a brawler. I remember it started in the ice age or something, and you walk along and fight some guys, and then you fight a saber tooth tiger. I think there might be some medieval parts later, but I really don't remember it very well. I think it was a brawler.

Time Commando. I loving love Time Commando.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Jokerfish posted:

For the longest time, I played this pc game that was mostly a dungeon crawler. the graphics were digitized from puppets or claymation

This caught my memory. Could it be Stonekeep?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

This is an old post, but it doesn't look like anyone has replied to this. Are you sure you're not playing as an insect as well? Because I definitely remember a fairly lovely nineties game where you play as some kind of mosquito that has to make his way through someone's house, spitting at enemies and collecting tiny nuts or something. I remember it featuring the sort of humor you're describing.

Oh, that's Banzai Bug. It had a pretty unique art style for its time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bulldozer posted:

There's this platform game I've been trying to remember the name of. I don't remember much, the main character had maybe dreadlocks or something, a lot of levels were set in jungle setting. Very similar to Jazz the Jackrabbit, with high tempo and lots of rockets. From the same era too, circa 1993-1995 I guess.

Ring a bell, anybody?

I'll throw my chips on Alien Rampage.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bulldozer posted:

Good guesses, but it was much more cartoony-like. As I said, similar to Jazz and Sonic as well - very colorful and fast paced. Also forget the dreadlocks, but I'm pretty sure the main character was not human.

The only thing I remember on PC/Amiga to match Sonic and Jazz in speed was Zool. If it's not that, I'm out of ideas.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

Terrible Myst clone

This loving thing, maybe?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

Okay this one was in the 90's, I was young and I am still dumb so this will be hard.
It was a point and click adventure game that appeared to take place in the desert with tripped out colors. It seemed to focus on flashing images on T.V.s but you had to modify the T.V.s otherwise the T.V.s can hurt you or something. The T.V.'s gave you hints on where to go or what to do. I maybe remembering this wrong but the villain type looked a little like Pyramid head. Or not. I want to see this game a again. tia

Does Curse of Enchantia look anything like you remember?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

Ah no but thank you, I should have been more specific about some of it. I believe it was a CD game as I played Lords Of Magic around that time. And that it wasn't sprite art. I remember 3D-ish graphics.

I'm down to crawling MobyGames and guesswork, but how's Chronomaster look?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Zaleov posted:

If anyone has any sort of idea what I'm talking about at all, that would be awesome!

C-Dogs?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

The second was some form of 18+ cowboy RTS game.

It's not in the typical RTS scale, but could it be Desperados?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Twitch posted:

I remember playing this on an old PC Gamer demo disc, you were a pyramid on its side and you shot out of its tip at other pyramids. Quoting you in hopes that someone remembers what this game was called, now.

3D Cyberpuck?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

MikeDM92 posted:

It's not Battlezone, the game I'm thinking of looked a little better and you also had the option of playing the game in a top down/birds eye view like a traditional RTS.

The only other FPS-RTS hybrid I can think of is Hostile Waters.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

It was a game that was like star fox but for pc and had online multiplayer. There used to be a thread here about it but I can't find it

Allegiance?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Deadcell27 posted:

There was a DOS game I had as a child, you ran about a warehouse/bunker type place, collecting bits of vehicles to put together. You did logic puzzles to get them, then put them together into a working vehicle to race or challenge a mad professor type dude. Anyone have a clue?

That's the science-gadget Super Solvers game.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Scorchy posted:

Trying to remember the name of a point-and-click adventure game from the early 90's. You start off as a regular guy that gets transported into this dark art deco city where everyone thinks you're this noire comic book hero, and you have to figure out what happened to the previous hero.

Oh, this is Noctropolis.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Vitamins posted:

This is a massive long shot but here goes. It was a flight combat game from the 90s on pc. I think it was based in the near future and aliens were invading. You could pilot a fighter, a helicopter thing, a typical saucer ufo and some other ships.

There were levels based over land and at least one on an aircraft carrier sort of deal. I think the enemies came in waves and your weapons upgraded after a certain number of kills. I vaguely remember the cd having neon green writing on it but that could be bullshit.

That sounds totally like Incoming. It was bundled with so many 3D accelerator cards that I don't know anyone who actually bought it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Minsc in Baldur's Gate went haywire if his "witch" Dynaheir went down.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Barbun posted:

Okay, the game I'm looking for is a RTS for the PC, probably made in the late nineties/ early 2000's.
While I can't remember anything about the campaign, it had a pretty cool map editor to dick around in. The setting was generic fantasy-like, with the playable races being humans, all your types of elves, orcs and some kind of undead. I also recall being able to build some sort of hero unit (for example, the humans had their titan with his gigantic broadsword). Sadly the game got lost about 5 years ago.

Any ideas as to what the name might be?

Titans make me think of Age of Mythology.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

There's this arcade game that's kinda like Outrun but with bikes. I remember "Born to be wild" being the title music. The bikers consisted of wacky characters like an old grandpa riding a 1910s bike, a pop-star riding a drag bike, a biker who rides a trike thing and has a kid sitting in the back, a cowboy riding a dirt bike, and a Terminator-like dude who rode a Harley. Anyone know what it's called?

Does this mess ring any bells?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It was also genuinely hard as poo poo. I had a walkthrough in my other hand a few years ago and still couldn't get through the first task, the appendix operation. :saddowns:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Grrr-Krishnakk posted:

This is a game that I played in school around '93 - '94; a platformer where the aim was to find specific parts for a machine in order to then pit the machine against the villain's - race cars, blimps, etc. I think a robot was a playable character. There were also very basic physics and general science themes.

Games > Games you've forgotten the name of 6: Everybody Played Super Solvers

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

blackmarketlimb posted:

There's one particular game I can't remember, and it's been driving me nuts for years.

It's an early FPS - 2.5D as I recall - and you were in.. I want to say it was a mansion, but I'm not certain. I THINK there were spells, and the pistol kind of looked like a water gun. The enemies that jump to memory were wooden dudes wielding knives, but again, I might be mistaken. I played the hell out of the demo I got on a shareware bundle CD for years and then promptly forgot about it.

Nitemare 3D?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh, that's totally HyperBlade. Came out in late '95, I think.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Carecat posted:

Here's a very long shot. I remember a vehicle combat game for the PC from the mid 90s, it wasn't quarantine but it was futuristic like that and I think it was only arena combat. The main thing I remember is green slime!

Necrodome? Death Drome?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The DOS shareware version I played in 1996 was called XQuest2. Ring any bells?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Baten Kaitos?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Speedball 2 was pretty popular.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It's party-based and I didn't play it with sound, but is Aethra Chronicles anywhere close?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Paper_Masochist posted:

I need help with an old PS2 or maybe PS1 adventure game. At the start of it I think you died, or somebody else died and you go to a strange realm inhabited by a mysterious voice who claims to be a God and gives you time travel powers or something?

How does it compare to LoK: Soul Reaver?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Quid posted:

Second one was probably a racing game, I think on the PS2. It had a mode where instead of racing, you tried to cause giant pile-up accidents and got points based on how much damage/crashing you caused (or at least that's how I remember it). It just seems natural that the main game would be racing but honestly I have no clue. I also think you could use larger, non-racing cars like buses. For all I know it could have been just that mode but searching for anything "crash" related in racing and PS2 just bounces to Crash Team Racing and that's definitely not it. The game has fairly realistic cars (for the system) but it wasn't Demolition Derby on PS1 either, I still have that one. Hopefully there's a newer version to play too.

Burnout 3 and 4 had that sort of crash puzzle gamemode.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I don't think Force Commander had space battles. Empire at War fits that bill, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Okay, I've got an arcade game or two. Both from the early 90s.

1.) It was a 1-4 player mounted gun shooter thing. Instead the guns being recognizable machine guns or pulse rifles or something, there were these strange mounted laser cannons you held on with both hands. They had small aiming windows that, if you used them to actually aim, made the shots leaving your gun have a neat 3D effect. The theme was "Japanese Ghostbusters rip-off".

2.) Another 1(-2?) player mounted gun shooter. About the only thing that distinguished it from the licensed Alien crap was the fact that the aliens had one huge eye. The rolling demo had a good long moment of one of those bluish-purple things staring straight at the player, slavering and wiggling a little.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

boof posted:

Going to guess this is Space Gun.

The color palette isn't anything like I remembered, but that must be it. Thank you.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

There was a Dungeons and Dragons game from the late 90s or early 2000s I vaguely remember.

It was a RTS game where the premise was you're a wizard controlling various creatures. IIRC the "main" creature is a basalt golem that does simple fighting, but also transforms into a pyramid to generate mana/money to buy other creatures/upgrades.

Blood & Magic. It was kinda poo poo.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Edit: Other game, I'm trying to remember a 2d shareware CRPG, played maybe 1997-1998, where you could hire mercenaries that were way better than your party and Dragon's Breath was a really killer high level spell. I remember that if you rested at an inn with a guy who was poisoned, the guy died.

Aethra Chronicles? Took me ages as a kid to figure out how to equip weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Scroto Baggins posted:

My memories of this one are really spotty, but I'm going to give it a go:

I got the game in a pack with my Gateway computer in the late 90s. Other games included Bug! and Mech Warriors or Mech Assault or something with slow moving mechs. It was a CGI point and click adventure/puzzle game. It's all first person. You start outside a nightmarish mansion and when you get inside, there is some nightmarish creature zipping along in a toy airplane. I remember some giant pulsating worm in there somewhere. I was never able to figure out what to do and I'm pretty sure this wasn't some fever dream I had in middle school. Any help is appreciated.

Seem familiar? (clicky)

• Locked thread