Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

No Promises posted:

The first is some game, for either Mac or PC, where you played as an ant or a colony of ants, and you were in a yard. You had to survive, and build up your colony or something like that if I recall. Also you often had to fight ant lions, which usually spelled out your death. I believe Ant was in the title.
Gotta be SimAnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Morpheus posted:

Okay this one should be easy. It's a horror game with 3D models and fixed cameras. The 3D models were all made of spheres, aside from that the game had a very Alone in the Dark feel to it. It involved the main character going into a dark and spooky town, where at one point a wolf-creature hunts him. The name began with an E, I know that much, but can't remember the rest.
Ecstatica.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ninety posted:

I'm trying to find a free 2D Gundam game in which you were one of a hundred good guys fighting a hundred bad guys in space. It was posted in one of the 'free games' threads years ago but I can't remember a name or anything. I remember the menu where you picked your weapons and stuff being in Japanese. Anyone know anything about it?
Pretty sure this is Liberation Army. There's a translation patch, but I'm having difficulties finding a download for the game itself on a non-dubious website, so you're on your own there I'm afraid (if it is indeed the game you are looking for).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Boondock Saint posted:

No it wasn't any of those, I said it was limited to PC and was not from the Strike series.
Did it also have you controlling a tank instead of a helicopter? Might've been Seek & Destroy then.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Flannelette posted:

Game I can't remember:
PC, Flight simulator, Early 90s, Very simplistic, Plane has machine guns, cannons and rockets with unlimited ammo, Camera is in the cockpit, Machine guns fired by space bar, cannons and rockets by certain letter keys, Environment is a featureless lime green plane with a feature less blue sky, Graphics much simpler than Chuck Yeager's air combat/SU-25, Enemies various 3d and 2d shapes that move around/float and shoot at you (one looked like a scooter/lawnmower), Machine gun and Cannon fire is shown as large 2d red circles spraying out of your plane and rockets are 3d wire frames.
It didn't involve flying saucers and the option to eject/leave your plane and walk around on the ground, did it?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

sfwarlock posted:

Corncob 3d?
This is my guess also. :)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Johnnyonoes posted:

Second was a 1990's PC 3D game where you play a cyborg and you are supposed to find you way off the station you are originally trapped on. I remember the first 10 minutes is you beating the guy in the next cell up for something... I think it had Bio in the name.
BioForge.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

RunningBuffet posted:

I'm trying to remember an old PC adventure game that was first-person. It was actually more like an FPS in movement, as in hold a button to walk around, rather than click the edges of the screen and stuff like Myst. If memory serves, it was set in a weird 1984-ish world, and the main character had sunglasses. And the interface was.. an action figure or something the main character lifted up for you to see? And you'd click on his hands to manipulate things, or something like that.

I remember it being a sort of a big game, but it's been so long that I can't remember the title.
Could be Normality.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Cubear posted:

Was it Battle Beast?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55_3aTJad4U&t=55s
It's certainly the one his description immediately reminded me of, though I couldn't recall its name for the life of me either. :shobon:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

nrook posted:

I'm thinking of an old shmup, released at some point in the nineties. PC game, shareware, had a health bar, weapon shop, all that style stuff. Shareware. I distinctly remember it having both "air missiles," which could shoot down aerial enemies but not stuff on the ground, and "ground missiles," which did the opposite; the default machine gun could hurt both, though of course it did less damage. The health bar was on one side of the screen, and you could buy a shield which would appear as a health bar on the other side.
This has to be Raptor: Call of the Shadows. It's available at GOG too!

quote:

I'm also thinking of another nineties PC shmup, this one in which you ride some sort of car or motorcycle on a path. You have one weapon at a time, but each time you get a "power up" you get a somewhat different weapon instead of the one you used to have. The fifth level took place in the belly of some beast or dragon, I think. This one is shareware again, and the demo allowed you to play the first set of five games; the second set, which I believe was winter-themed, and the third set, required you to buy the game.
This sounds familiar as well, I'll look into it. EDIT: Highway Hunter is the one I was thinking of.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Shalashaska_ posted:

Windows 95 game, may or may not have been part of a bundle of different games.

Was a side scrolling fighting game with animals that could transform into larger machine-like things, very much like digimon, but not digimon.

Backgrounds were like war torn futuristic city skylines.

Was like, Beast Wars, or something similar...

Haven't played it since 1996.
This might be Battle Beast.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

al-azad posted:

The first is basically asteroids. You collected resources to upgrade your circular, flying base and had to buy new weapons for your ship to take out pirates. It had an anime art style and one of the characters was a girl with pink hair.
This should be Starscape.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Little Blue Couch posted:

There was an adventure game that came out near the end of the era of point-and-clicks, where you were on a train? There might have been some kind of time manipulation thing? It's pretty hazy. I do know that you had a limited time to complete it, and that it was good. Help me remember this good time train game please.
Could be The Last Express.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Stalin-Chan posted:

Anyone remember that sort of Metroid clone, NES game where you have to pick a member of a family (and maybe a dog) and then they transform into some sort of warrior and have to fight through a huge maze underneath their house.

Vaguely remember the word Wizard being in the title. It was just like Metroid in that you have to explore this huge underworld and find items to reach new areas.
Legacy of the Wizard maybe?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Wrageowrapper posted:

This game came out in the mid 90's, maybe '95. It was a side scrolling platformer. Definitely released on the PC cause thats what I played the demo on but it may have been released on other systems. Anyway the graphics seemed rotoscoped or something. I remember being quite impressed by the animation anyway. From memory it was about a ww2 pilot who somehow gets taken back in time. I remember fighting a raptor with a spear and it was cool. I think some amazon turns up at some stage and helps you.
Definitely not Flashback cause that was released in the early nineties but you could describe it as Flashback like.
Thanks in advance.
Sounds like Bermuda Syndrome.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Baronjutter posted:

Ok guys I've got a tough one, well maybe tough.

I remember way back in maybe the 90's or early 2000's I had a PC gamer demo CD. On it was some interesting game where you built and controlled huge floating castles that did battle with each other. There was a designer where you'd build your sky-castle-airship thingy, and then you'd fly around shooting or ramming others. It was just a demo but I remember really enjoying it back in the day and would love to find the full version.

Anyone have any ideas?
Stratosphere: Conquest of the Skies.

This seems to come up almost as often as Return Fire. :shobon:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

doctor iono posted:

I only read about this game in a random Games discussion thread, so my description might be quite poor or off-base. It's a PC game in which you inhabit/possess dead bodies and go back in time to fix their mistakes? I think I remember the setting being foreign, maybe Russian?
Sounds like Cryostasis.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

DasNeonLicht posted:

Circa 1993, I remember going over to a neighbor's house to play a black and white game on a Macintosh computer with a mouse. It was a tricky platform-style game set in an older time wherein you played a young adventurer trying to collect a series of orbs for a purpose I can't remember.

Distinguishing Features:
-The main menu theme was Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D-minor.
-As a weapon, your character threw rocks. You used the mouse to aim, wheeling your character's arm like a clock dial, and clicked to throw. The rock would continue in a straight line -- no Newtonian motion. I remember one level where you could find a wizard to upgrade your rocks to flaming rocks.
-You had limited ammunition, but bags of rocks were plentiful
-Levels included a labyrinth filled with rats, an anteroom where you kept the orbs, and the Black Forest, where you ride a helicopter-backpack (wtf) above the woods and fend off bats.

I was little, so I don't remember many other details, but I'd love to know what this game actually was.
This might be Dark Castle.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Medieval Medic posted:

Second one is all I really remember is there is a minigame where you have to pave a road, and I think, but am not sure, that a few of the characters were elephants and I think some kind of snake/worm that stands on its tail(which had a shoe? and it was dressed? and had a hat?)
Based purely on the "worm wearing clothes" part, this could be Richard Scarry's Busytown. There are elephants in it too.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Rando posted:

Anyone remember a fantasy FPS from the late 90's or so where the models were all digitized claymation?
Witchaven? I think Stonekeep featured some claymation too.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pingcode posted:

The second: You were this floating base, and you could only see out of your own cameras or any units you built, which you conjured up out of the air with energy. One of the early units (the first unit?) was a kind of jet that shot missiles, and the energy bar for your units was also their health, so you could make a unit kill itself by shooting until it ran out of energy. To capture buildings, you had to shoot them with a unit, and your enemy's base was this big floating pyramid.
Urban Assault?

Pingcode posted:

The third: You're a hovercraft with a mortar, and the first level has you attacking a base via the beach. There were also modes for wheels and hydrofoils (and something else? Flying?) that were locked initially, and the game made no attempt to stop you from using the wrong modes at the wrong time (eg. switching to hydrofoils on land). Ammo for your weapons was dropped in six packs from the sky, and I think the second weapon you could get was a kind of homing mortar. The menu also had a red motif?
This could be Recoil.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Mystic Mongol posted:

Trying to remember a PC puzzle game, few years back. Egyptian feel, you had an overview of a grid map that was mostly covered in fog of war. Revealing things charged your staff with scarab energy? Also you found cities which you had to conquor (maybe) with a resource of men, maybe you were gathering food. It was mentioned on the penny arcade frontpage years ago.
This is Oasis.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Whiskey posted:

I'm looking for a post apocalyptic racing game. It was PC, from the 90's and the demo featured two tracks, one of which featured a section of a dam on which you could drive. I don't remember there being any weapons on the cars. I'm thinking tyhe name of the game was "RPM" "Drift" "Throttle" or something along those lines. I remember the graphics being quite decent and the sound of the cars being a quite distinctive drone.

I'd love to find this game again :)
Powerslide perhaps?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Suleman posted:

Okay, this has been bothering me for a while. I couldn't actually read a whole lot of English at the time, so I can't really say much about the game, other than the basic gameplay stuff.

-PC game from the mid-1990s.
-Featured on some kinda game demo cd for Windows 95 (along with Doom and some other titles).
-Slightly angled top-down view, like in an RTS.
-You had this underground hangar, where you had four different vehicles: A tank, a jeep, a helicopter and a fourth one. The vehicle selection menu was a cutout of the hangar, and when you chose the vehicle, an animation showed it being lifted from the hangar.
-The gameplay consisted of driving said vehicle around and shooting stuff.
-You could pretty much roam the map freely and destroy whatever and fight anyone.
-I think it was some sort of semi-tropical setting with water, sand, forests and enemy troops.
Return Fire. One of the most asked-about games in this sort of thread, too!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

I've another one.

This PC game, I think DOS. It was sort of like a fighting game. You had about two dozen different types of monsters, ranging from stone golems, to these ostrich-things, and other things. You pick one, fight some other random monster, and so on.

I also recall that there was a 20-man free for all, not all at once though. There were like, four or five to start. Then as soon as one died, the next would jump in, until it went through all 20.

It had somewhat cartoony graphics, and I know it was on PC and probably DOS. Some time in the 90s or maybe very early 2000s.
Champions of Zulula or maybe its "elite edition"?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Triangle posted:

I used to have this shmup game on my old HD, but it bricked. The game was windows freeware, from top down 2d and probably like 10 years old. The big thing about it was a comprehensive editor with joints and stuff, that allowed you to create your own enemies. There was no actual game, just fighting your creations.
Might this be Fraxy?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Thievery posted:

I was thinking about a game yesterday for no real reason, but I figure i'll ask here anyway. It's a PC game, squad based futuristic humans VS aliens, I think it was. I remember having a demo and you could customise your squads loadout with jetpacks and such. It might have had a multiplayer mode. Probably released around 1996-2000.

I know that's pretty vague but I remember playing it with my brother when we were young, and I think he got a copy of it for his birthday then sold it or something. I thought it started with an I (something like Incubation or Invasion) but I can't find anything on that.

Uh, it's an isometric POV if that helps.
It's quite possible you did get it right to begin with.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Recoil maybe?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Lizard Wizard posted:

Not sure if this is exactly the place for it as it's still very much in development, but I recall reading about this one game that was, as far as I could tell, meant to be a spiritual successor to Creatures. The guy still has a development blog and such, and I recall his kickstarter had this weird trailer with some CGI robots. One thing I distinctly recall from his devblog was that the creatures weren't going to have canned animations, but instead actually walk via the physics engine and thus would have to have viable body structures. Anyone remember the name of this?
Google suggests this might be Grandroids.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

h_double posted:

I am trying to remember the name of a game from the early 90s, I played it on the Atari ST but it very likely it existed on other platforms (e.g. Amiga).

It was a sort of sci-fi hockey game with three teams playing on a court that was five rooms arranged in a plus shape: a center area, three home goal areas for each of the three teams, and a fourth free-for-all area in the fourth leg of the cross. There were about 6-8 different teams to choose from, each with a different theme/motif.

It's NOT Speedball, though the gameplay was pretty clearly influenced a bit by Speedball. I want to say it was called something like Trinity or Trilogy, but my searching comes up a blank.
Projectyle seems to match your description.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

dracura posted:

There was a game I came across a few years ago for the PC. It was a 2D building destruction simulator where you would place explosives to bring down buildings. The only defining feature I can name that might help this gem get identified is that you could enter numeric seeds to generate levels.

It was a pretty entertaining little game, and very broken because you would carry over any profits made from destroying buildings safely to new levels. I remember being young and realizing the seed I was using let me easily take down a building with almost no effort, leading to massive profits, which in turn funded gigantic extinction-level events in other levels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to google many variations of this idea (procedural building destruction game, etc.) with no luck.
Probably Operation Cleaner 2 or perhaps the first one.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

baromodo posted:

2. Another 90's PC game, turn based chess-like strategy involving monsters and fantasy creatures. It was viewed from overhead as you would see a chess board. I think the map may have been shaped like a strip of land heading into the distance and it had a fog-of-war system IIRC. I think this also had a classical sounding soundtrack, which may have been something by Erik Satie (or similar, downbeat piano stuff).
The actual combat happens in real time, but Dark Legions was the first thing that came to my mind. Probably not it though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

baromodo posted:

A bonus question: Which game(s) used Gustav's Holst's "Mars" (from The Planets Suite) as a soundtrack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8EwBTQhl3Y
Return Fire, for one. :v:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Darkrenown posted:

I bought into a beta of some space game a while back. It has a thread here, but I can't remember it either. You started out with just one ship, I think, and could capture or buy more as you explored the galaxy. Combat involved managing flux, which you could dump out if it got too high but that left you vurnable for a while.
Starfarer?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

eating only apples posted:

A while ago I found a blog by a game's developer, the game was a medieval city-building sim with complex villager interactions. There were seasons and a job assignment system i.e. lumberjacks, tanners, schoolteachers etc. The blog went into huge detail about how the dev tried to implement a crop rotation system, worked really hard on it, then took it out because it didn't improve the game in any way.

The game isn't out yet or anywhere near release but it really interested me and I can't for the life remember its name. Anyone know?
Banished? Though for all I know there's another medieval city sim whose developer struggled to implement crop rotation, which would be amusing. :v:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ToastyPotato posted:

This is a recent (I believe unfinished, as of the last time I saw it posted) game.

It is a town builder that is I BELIEVE supposed to be very "simulation-ish", with regards to resources and such. It is not Towns or Gnomoria, I THINK it was meant to be more realistic. I hesitate to use medieval to describe it. It clearly wasn't meant to "modern". I feel like it was posted a couple of times through out the SimCity 13 threads for reasons.
Banished?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm recalling a PC game from the early days of 3D (think Incubation) that was mainly sidescrolling, but maybe had a rotating camera, that was about this bug thing living inside of a computer. I think its body was a microchip, and I'm pretty sure it had six legs. Don't remember much about the actual gameplay, but it had this gimmick where you could import files into the game, so if you had pictures or music it'd incorporate them into the levels.

I'm pretty sure it had a really generic name like Bug or Spider or something like that.
I don't know whether it did the file importing thing, but otherwise Galapagos might fit the bill?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Baronjutter posted:

I've been hunting all over for this simple demolishing company game. You start small and place charges on fairly realistic 2d buildings that then fall apart. It was a challenging game to correctly do imposions. All the ones I find now are lovely flash physics puzzles games. It was 2d and had simple graphics but sought to be a "realistic" sim for demolishing buildings. Help!
This might be Operation Cleaner (2).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

davey4283 posted:

Im looking for the name of a pc game. It probably came out around '97. I remember playing it on win98 machines in middle school.

Premise: You build your own flying airship and you customize it with different cannons, power sources, and spikes (for ramming). Then you fly around the map ramming into and killing other floating warships. Once you kill them you fly into their dropped ores/resources and use them to upgrade yourself. If you got messed up in a fight you could lose big chunks of your ship and you would have to rebuild them. You played this game with a top down perspective as you flew around the map, navigating the terrain.

I only had the demo in the computer lab and it would be fun to play it now.
This could be Stratosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

fobin posted:

I'm trying to remember a game that I played in the late nineties or early 2000s (I'm pretty sure it was on Windows 98) where you drove some sort of... futuristic floating tank thing? I remember different missions in it- I think they alternated between attacking enemy bases and defending your own at times. Pretty sure you had missiles and Either the main menu, intro video, or death screen had a rocket on a launch pad at night being destroyed by the enemy. There may have been some missions where you flew, but I remember the driving sections having a very floaty feeling to them- your vehicle would accelerate quickly and slide around a little bit. That's about all I remember from it. Any ideas?
Incoming maybe?

• Locked thread