Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

markovmodelcitizen posted:

I'm not sure if this game was on C64/128 or Amiga, but it was a 2D, sidescrolling adventure game, and was set in a "dark" futuristic setting.
I think the story was that you had crashed on some alien planet, and had to collect parts to fix your ship. Most of the game time was spent underground in tunnels. If I remember correctly, the main character was a guy in a green uniform, and had some kind of gray (?) pet/sidekick that would turn into a ball and follow him around.

Maybe not quite the dark futuristic setting you were thinking of, and you're not trying to fix your ship, but everything else you say there is basically Dan Dare on the C64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

cubicle gangster posted:

One I used to own and traded in.

A remote control helecopter game for the PS1. May have been made by shiny or someone like that - one of the first to use both analogue sticks properly (around the time of ape escape)

I just remember it being awesome, me playing it to death, and also becoming absolutley poo poo hot at it. i only have a vague memory of it though and I want to see what it was really like.

RC Stunt Copter, indeed developed by Shiny.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

sn00ke posted:

I don't think this has already been posted but...

When I was in elementary school in Canada during the 90s, we had little Mac Classics with a black and white, point and click adventure/puzzle game on them. It involved you starting by getting into a ramshackle spaceship, clicking through to the cockpit and going to a few preset locations. One was a giant fish in space and another was a planet whose sole resident was an alien with the same name as the game. There wasn't any real point to the game besides exploring and interacting.

And the spaceship could shoot giant Q-tips.

Cosmic Osmo.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
Super Pang AKA Super Buster Bros.?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
That'll be Robocop 3 for PC, Amiga and Atari ST.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Terror Van posted:

- A 1-3 player top-down shooter.. I can remember some sort of shop and it kind of looked like Operation Carnage with the premise of being mercenaries infiltrating a base or killing aliens or something.

Could be either Cyberdogs or Alien Breed.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
One of the Freddi Fish games, probably.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Dewgy posted:

Next is much more vague, and I only remember the opening sequence of the game. You were riding on horseback, and were a prince or knight or something along those lines, but I don't recall you being very heavily armored. While riding, you only had two controls, swing the sword or lean off the side of the horse (to dodge unkillable stuff or pick things up off the ground like potions). I think if you managed to get past this, you went off horseback, but I could never get much further because I was terrible at it. It had a decent style to it, though, and was definitely fantasy themed.

Wrath of the Demon?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

The Crusher posted:

Some old PC game I got as a birthday gift at least 8-9 years ago. It was a medieval setting with 4 heroes that you eventually gathered and could play as, while the three others were NPC controlled until you switched. There was a swordsman, an archer, a wizard, and a barbarian. It was an over head view, I remember you always started as the swordsman and he had like... bags of explosive powder he could throw.

I really want to say the name was some version of the word "Quest" but I have no idea.

Maybe this is the game you're thinking of?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Morpheus posted:

Also, I remember a game that used to be on...some system. I know that's exceptionally vague, but one of the unique properties of this game was that it was actually in the system's memory, so that when you turn the system on without any games in it, this game would start up. Might've been some sort of Sega system. It involved a little boy that carried around a punching glove, and it was a platformer. Beyond that, it's all lost.

Possibly Alex Kidd in Miracle World?

quote:

Oh wait I remember a second game. It was a skateboarding game for the Atari, and what you were supposed to do was go through an entire building and turn on (or off, I forget) every piece of equipment in the building by skating on it, or somesuch. I remember jumping off the roof because it was rad. Possibly gnarly.

Pretty sure this one's Super Skateboardin'.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Patashu posted:

The second one was monochrome, possibly a mac game instead of a PC game, featuring a black isometric grid on a white background with you as a black human character. The map was constant, featuring different structures of gray bricks at different parts of the map. The object was to find another trapped human and rescue them while evading ants which made you jump on the spot and blocked you off and tended to swarm. Name is something like Winant or Simant or something.

It was never officially released on the Mac or PC as far as I'm aware, but this is pretty much Ant Attack.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Patashu posted:

That but for Windows/MAC. Pretty sure I've never seen a C64...

Hmm!

A quick bit of googling brings up this, which seems to be the remake in question.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Liquid Penguins posted:

I don't think it ever came out. It was a game where you played entirely with sound. You are some monster in a dark cave and have to kill whatever comes down there.

In the Pit.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Second, I remember a squad-based strategy game for either the GBA or DS, very similar to X-Com, but can't remember the name.

Rebelstar: Tactical Command?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Bachelor Numpad posted:

I'm trying to remember this 2D adventure game on the PC (grayscale), probably from maybe 14 years ago, or earlier. It wasn't a sidescroller, but you moved your character (some average guy) from left to right in whatever room he was in. You know, the kind of game where you click around the room to move and interact with stuff.

The intro or something starts with him running across a room screaming "Aaaaaah!" as he's chased by a some floating alien or robot. At some point, you're in the guy's kitchen and you lose (or have to find) something in the sink's garbage disposal and the guy is really nervous about sticking his hand down in there whenever you try to get him to do it?

It had environments like the guys house, and an outdoor/street where I think there was a bus in the background as part of the scenery. Really random, I know. The thing I remember most is him being chased by a floating alien in the beginning, though.

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Super Waffle posted:

I remember playing an awesome game on my family's first computer (some ATI thing). It was a DOS game where you played a doctor in a miniaturized ship and got sent into the body of a sick person. You would choose the location of the body and have to fight waves of Hemogoblins and other colored nasties that flew at your screen. Your weapons were different antibiotic guns and vaccine missiles and stuff. Everytime you got sent in there was a cool CG movie that played of the ship getting shrunk and injected into someone.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

This sounds like Microcosm.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

moller posted:

The roadblasters question reminded me - 90s arcade game, some sort of police chase scenario. When you were within range of an enemy or target car, the dude riding shotgun would lean out of the side window and fire a handgun at the car to disable it. I don't recall if you controlled the firing or not. It's not Lucky and Wild or Chase HQ.

Chase HQ 2?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Cubear posted:

Some real challenges coming out of this post.

A japanese freeware, "bullet dodging" game. You dodged these MSpaint looking stars, the game was endless with a ramping up difficulty to include more stars and larger stars. This was from 2001 or earlier, and was a stand alone executable, not a flash game.

Try googling for crazygame.exe, sounds like either that or a variant thereof.

quote:

An Amiga 500 game, late 80's early 90's, edutainment once again. all i remember was walking around a spaceship and opening doors, and maybe answering trivia or science questions.

This could either be Discovery:Trivia 1, or Trivial Pursuit: A New Beginning.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Scaevolus posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an early 90s game with primitive polygonal 3D graphics. You ran around exploring a castle and had to find food (cheese?) which renewed your strength (represented by a barbell) so you could run/jump more.

Sounds like Castle Master.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
Sounds like it could be one of the ICOM Simulations games - does anything on this page ring a bell?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

MSPaintClock posted:

Alright my turn, my game was for PC I got it around 1998 I believe. It was a fighting game that feature robots. From what I remember the graphics(pixels) and animation were really good. You could pick the color fo the robot and I remember two of the robots being Steppenwolf and Rook.

Rise of the Robots 2.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

SparkTR posted:

I probably played this game somewhere around the mid to late '90s, it was on PC and I'm pretty sure it was a DOS game. I remember playing it on Windows 95 or 98.

-It was a point and click adventure game (I think) which revolved around the day of a boy.
-You basically controlled him, annoyed his sister and do other mundane activities.
-I remember his parents were going out to dinner and left him with a babysitter, which turned into a vampire/bat and flew away with the boy into the night sky.
-I'm kind of sure your choices (whether to be good or bad) affected this outcome. Or maybe you had to do specific tasks, I really don't know.
-The visuals were cartooney and colourful.
-The name 'Billy' comes to mind, but Google search bring up nothing worthwhile.

The Adventures of Willy Beamish.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an Amiga game.

Basically, it is top-down and tile-based. I think it's a puzzle game. The most notable thing about it is the artstyle; the main character is like a bald dwarf and I remember him looking up and screaming at the player. The general colour palette is very dark and brown and there was a sort of surreal nightmare fuel quality to it. The game featured still images of the main character looking creepy in a Monty Python or Edward Gorey-esque fashion.

Also, I seem to recall there being a convoluted story as well as a sequel and there was this weird allegorical norse mythology thing going on.

Valhalla?

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
I think that's Noctropolis.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
Sounds like either Gravity Force 2/Gravity Power on the Amiga, or a variant thereof. If it was definitely Windows then it could be something like Rocket Chase. If it's not one of those then it may be one of the others on this list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Revitalized posted:

Was there an Atari game that was like Karateka... but not really? I remember you could pick up ninja stars off the ground and throw them too. I would be more descriptive, but my memory is foggy now.

I've looked at screenshots of Karateka, but it's not exactly as I remember it. You also fought ninjas I think.

This is probably Ninja.

E: After watching Hakkesshu's video, I see it's the same game but seems to have had a different name on the Atari ST. When I played it on the C64 it was just called "Ninja".

• Locked thread