Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This would be an old PS1 game, from like 1995 or 1996. 3rd-person view action-adventure game with hand-to-hand combat, I think with polygonal characters on drawn static backgrounds. The first enemies you fight are either shadow people or appeared as completely black due to a glitch (I remember my friend and I couldn't get far in the game at all due to what may have been "glitches"). I remember the soundtrack being sort of technoish and weird. I vaguely remember an intro movie having to do with your character being a martial arts fighter who is kidnapped or something, but that might be a false memory.

Edit: The first area I remember being a sort of barren alien landscape that might have been pinkish.

Also, could a mod finally sticky this or something? There's a new one of these threads every week.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Private Snowball posted:

There was this Sega Genesis game where you were in a haunted house or castle full of monsters. At one point in the game you encounter a kid(woman?), you tell him you'll be back for him, and later on there is a cut scene where he is either captured or killed. One of the bosses was a huge guy with lots of women's corpses around him. I remember it not being very kid friendly and scaring me.

I've not played them, but I'm reasonably sure this is Splatterhouse 2 or 3. Probably 3 because it's more story-oriented.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
OK, not a game, but a chain of stores. There was a thread a while back of this chain of game stores— they were large and elaborate, and each had some sort of unique and fanciful theme in the decoration. There was a space one, a western one, etc. I could've sworn they were called Futureshop, but that seems to be the Canadian equivalent of Best Buy. I think the chain I'm thinking of was in the western/central US.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

trucutru posted:

I got a request too, two actually.

First game is a top-down shmup from the 80's. It had the same power-up system as Gradius (you pick powerup icons to move the highlighted item in your powerup menu then press a button to activate it if it is the one you want). The first power-up was extra speed and most others were different weapons that changed the look of your ship: laser, twin-fire, nuclear, etc. I remember that the enemy shots looked like really small rotating stars and that it had some skull-and-crossbones somewhere (I could be wrong about the skull-and-crossbones stuff). It was tough as nails and suffered from some heavy slowdown when the screen was filled with those star-bullets.

I'm not certain, but Salamander (AKA Life Force) is another Konami shooter in the vein of Gradius that had some vertically-scrolling parts, and you may have played some version of this. There was also definitely a skull boss in the NES version of Life Force. If it's not this, it's probably another Konami shooter from this era I haven't played.

Shots of the arcade version here: http://www.gamestone.co.uk/gradius/games_games.php?system=AC&local=Japan&game=05&page=1

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 7, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
This is a Japanese game, likely an action-rpg, and likely one of those freeware PC games meant to look retro, like La-Mulana. Your character is a girl, and the visual style is very reminiscent of Earthbound.

I saw a youtube video which involved the player repetitively going into a room, turning the light off, and leaving. After about the ten millionth time doing this, when the light is turned off, this other girl in the room turns into this strange shape that looks like a misshapen ghost face and scary music starts playing. The player character starts crying, and this thing slowly chases her around the room (moving one floor tile at a time) until it catches her, and transports her to some strange nightmare world where the ground is white and I think the sky has red streaks. The player then wanders back and forth aimlessly, goes into a menu entirely in Japanese, selects some things, and eventually teleports someplace else.

Edit: I think this was mentioned here or somewhere else in a thread about scary games.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

ropa posted:

Sega Genesis game. Plataformer.Youwere a kid with a football and you kicked it to kill enemies. It was hard as hell. First level was a city, with birds and cops(?).

And I know there's a clone of this game that is very well known. But I'm talking of the game with the BLONDE KID. Not the brunette.

Marko's Magic Football?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Rollersnake posted:

This is a Japanese game, likely an action-rpg, and likely one of those freeware PC games meant to look retro, like La-Mulana. Your character is a girl, and the visual style is very reminiscent of Earthbound.

I saw a youtube video which involved the player repetitively going into a room, turning the light off, and leaving. After about the ten millionth time doing this, when the light is turned off, this other girl in the room turns into this strange shape that looks like a misshapen ghost face and scary music starts playing. The player character starts crying, and this thing slowly chases her around the room (moving one floor tile at a time) until it catches her, and transports her to some strange nightmare world where the ground is white and I think the sky has red streaks. The player then wanders back and forth aimlessly, goes into a menu entirely in Japanese, selects some things, and eventually teleports someplace else.

Edit: I think this was mentioned here or somewhere else in a thread about scary games.

Found it myself— it's called Yume Nikki. Thank you, TV Tropes!

I can't say I'm enjoying it that much—there's way too much aimless wandering around. But the atmosphere is fantastic, kind of like a 2D version of LSD.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

bleak posted:

NES. Overhead view. Gameplay consists of attempting to prevent purple viruses from multiplying and taking over a space station room. Thought it was called mutant virus, no such game exists.

It is in fact The Mutant Virus. :confused:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 15, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
This is a SNES or Genesis ROM I played over a year ago. It was a bloody sidescroller that reminded me of Splatterhouse, though it was more dark fantasy than horror, or something. You start out as a guy that can run, jump and shoot, and the first level is in some sort of building that may have had an elevator section, but definitely had a big boss chasing you who reminded me of Crocomire from Super Metroid. After that, you turned into either a demon or a dragon-man who could double jump, and the second level was in some sort of evil garden or forest ruin. The bit I remember most clearly is that in this stage there were these fairy enemies who would fly out of tree stumps, and I think you could kill and eat them for health. Somewhere in here was a boss who bounced around/teleported, and may have gotten smaller as you hit it. It might have been a big eyeball or a wheel, though I might be confusing it with that fire wheel boss from Actraiser.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
No, nothing like Golden Axe. This wasn't a beat-'em-up, but a sidescrolling platformer. Something more like Splatterhouse or Ghouls & Ghosts, but neither of those.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Red Red Blue posted:

Could it have been Demon's Crest? Kind of sounds like it.

It's not, but I recall the game I'm thinking of as having a similar graphical style. I'm quite sure it was nothing by Capcom or another major well-known developer or I'd have found it by now.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Bleu posted:

Majuuou, or King of Demons? I'm pretty confident that's it.

I actually found this not too long after I posted about it, but yeah, you're right.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Something I just remembered.

Two games that came installed on the class iMacs when I was in high school around 2001 or 2002.

One was a prehistoric-themed kart racing game, and the other was a platformer that I think was insect-themed. Both were 3D, very (almost excessively) bright and colorful, and looked pretty good for the time. Quite sure they were made by the same company.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Colour posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an old 2D RPG. I don't remember what console it was on or much about the game at all other than there was a part where you were in a temple or something underground I think, and you had to complete a puzzle by moving these tiles around to form an image. If you didn't complete the puzzle in a certain time period, you would have to fight an unbeatable boss (but this was apparently part of the plot I think). If you used gameshark cheats to beat the boss, it would cause the game to end.

Anyone have any ideas?

Beyond the Beyond, for PS1. I remember well the sliding puzzle that kills you if you try to run away from it—it wasn't timed, thank god. It's still possibly the most evil thing I've ever encountered in an RPG.

Pants McShirt posted:

Definitely Cro-mag Rally and Bugdom, both by Pangea Software.

Thank you!

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 25, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

The White Dragon posted:

Oh! Vice Project Doom! "Vice officer Quinn Hart, along with his partner Detective Reese,..." I swear someone's tried to LP it more than once.

Anyway, as for me...

System: NES

I don't know anything about the cover art, and I remember incredibly little about the gameplay, because I was like three or four and my cousin had rented it. Anyway, I almost remember a top-down setting, similar to Zelda, but maybe it was side-scrolling with Zelda-square sprites; think something a lot like Legacy of the Wizard, except really, really not. I'm fairly certain that it was a two player game, and--this one I know for sure--is that the game over screen showed the two characters with beat-up faces, and for whatever reason, nowadays, I think about it whenever I see a picture of both Goemon and Ebisumaru.

Surely there's got to be one Games Goon out there who can put this together, and it's no exaggeration to say that it's pretty much hounded me for as long as I can remember.

I've only played the SNES sequel (Super Ninja Boy), but this sounds like it might be Little Ninja Brothers.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Mr_Person posted:

Wow, I've played that game tons and I just now realized that the main character is actually Donald Duck.

Anyway, the game you're looking for is Crazy Drake, developed by Neurotech.

Never even heard of this game before, but I just had to comment how it looks like a slight graphical hack of Earthworm Jim. Wow, that's blatant.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Gentle Marmot posted:

There was the NES racing game I think called Space Race or something. Your little hover craft thing had a gun which you could upgrade by driving over different powerups. It had an isometric view and there werent a whole lot of levels but as you progressed each level would have more and more obstacles. It was all set in space and your enemies were aliens. I thought it was called Space Race 2000 but google is giving me nothing.

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Was there this weird voice sample saying "Excuse me!" or something when you bump into one of the other cars?

...I can't remember the title either. Going to go try to find it now.

Edit: Galaxy 5000! That was fast.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
There was this game at the arcade I went to as a kid that I knew as "Galaga"—I swear it was a Galaga cabinet. Yet the game definitely was not Galaga.

It was a shooter where you controlled a person moving up/right in an isometric perspective (autoscrolling, I believe), and I think there was a part where you had to maneuver him through small gaps in different-colored walls. The graphics were very simple and brightly colored, probably with a black background, and it couldn't have been anything made after the mid-'80s or so.

I swear I even found this game years ago, and it was called Galagan. Yet I can find no record of it anywhere on the internet, and I think I must have imagined it. So tell me, is this Galagan, a conversion of a Galaga machine where they left the original art on, or is it just a completely unrelated game that happened to be next to Galaga, and got mixed up in my memories?

Edit: It's occurred to me that this could be a fuzzy memory of Tron, but the screenshots don't look quite like what I remembered. It isn't Zaaxon either. Anybody know of any autoscrolling, isometric perspective game with walls that were difficult to get past? I swear I didn't dream this.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 1, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Added an illustration of my possibly imaginary game that I swear I remember playing. There has to be something like this out there.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Aardvark Barber posted:

Back in the second grade, about ten years ago, there was this computer game all the kids played during indoor recess when it was too cold to go out. The game was on an old apple computer, but it was in color. I think it was an action adventure game or something.

I remember that the main character of the game had a huge cleft chin, and we all called him "Major Buttchin". There might have been something about "battery" in the title as well.

There were a multitude of weapons you could use, I believe one involved shooting cakes out of your gun.

Help me figure this out! None of my friends remember it and we all had so much fun playing it.

Power Pete! It just came to me—was thinking you meant an Apple II or something.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
You could probably find a Mac from 1995-1996 for really cheap on EBay. Power Pete came with my Performa 6220.

Edit: It's actually easier to find more recent computers (iMacs, in particular), and they're cheaper too. If you decide to go this route, make sure you don't get a Mac with OS X, unless it has Classic mode. You could play the Marathon series, Glider PRO, and Escape Velocity too, all of which are excellent and Mac-exclusive, so it's not like you'd be buying it for one game.

This and this are the best deals I can find for a computer that would fit anyone's classic Mac gaming needs perfectly.

As far as emulators go, Zophar.net has SoftMac, which seems to be the best choice from the vague descriptions offered there. I haven't used it, so I can't recommend it, and I don't know how you'd get the ROM dump it requires.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 3, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Capsaicin posted:

Alright, I got a few.

1. It's a Megaman game, but what game does this song come from? http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PLXPBDKF

I thought it'd be Megaman 5 (either Star or Gravity Man), but I was wrong.

This is driving me nuts. It sounds familiar, but I can't place it. I don't think it's any of the robot masters from the NES games. Maybe an ending theme, or a stage theme from one of the later games or X series?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 5, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Joudas posted:

I've only met one other person who has played this game, and he has no idea what it was called either.

Okay, so it was a side scrolling fighting game, similar to streets of rage. You went around and beat up bad guys, ate whole turkeys to get health back, and picked up bats that only worked for three swings. It was otherwise a pretty standard beat em up, but the great twist was that once you beat the end boss of each level you had the option to become the boss, and the story explanation was something about you absorbing their soul, or stealing their spirit or something like that. The bosses were pretty awesome, but you could still very much lose. The first boss was a big rear end samurai in their traditional armor if I remember correctly, and I think only one player could actually take the soul, so the second player would have to wait until the third stage to get a cool character.

I played it on an arcade machine, and I think I remember it had the Neo Geo splash screen during those idle movies that arcade games play when not in use. The word Samurai is tied to my memory of the game, but I'm not sure if it was in the title or if it was just that the first boss was one. If any of you guys remember the name of this game, I'd love you forever and let you become me if you kill me at the end of a level.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sengoku/sengoku.htm

It's one of the Sengoku games, probably the first. It's recently been rereleased in the SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 compilation for PS2, PSP, and Wii, although apparently only the Wii version doesn't run like poo poo.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 7, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Plank Walker posted:

Looking for a SNES game one of my friends had when I was like 10. Looked like Link to the Past, sort of, in that it was a top down adventure game, only it had, I think, an overworld map. Definitely isn't Secret of Mana or anything like that, you only had one character. I only remember seeing one part, where the character walks into a cave, the inside is blue/gray and has like four pillars/statues near the top of the screen.

I remember seeing it on the forums before and it being mentioned that it had an NES prequel, but can't remember what either game is.

95% sure you're talking about Equinox, and it's the sequel to the NES game Solstice.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Spoz posted:

I had two games from the SNES to Nintendo 64 era I cannot for the life of me remember. One was sort of a caveman game, and you and a friend could play through the game co-op. There were items like a boomerang and other stuff you could pick up. You could also suck up water and spit it out.

Joe & Mac II, for SNES

Spoz posted:

The other was some giant monster game. It wasn't Godzilla, and was sort of a 3-D run around and break crap game. The final level was inside some military base I think.

It's been years since I've played it, so I could very well be wrong, but this might be Rampage World Tour or one of the other later Rampage games.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Pau posted:

I've been trying hard to find anything about this old, VGA graphics, PC game where you played as a good for nothing, bulldog faced red demon in a quest to find uhh something I forgot... but in a labyrinth! My subconcious says the game was called RED DEVIL but google thinks otherwise so, if anyone could prove me wrong/right, I would appreciate it.

It was superhard.

Litil Divil.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

lostintheozone posted:

i have been trying to find the name of this game for years. it was a shareware mac fantasy rpg from the early nineties. it was topdown style and you travelled around fighting various monsters and getting sweet loots. i remember at the stores in the game the most expensive item was a prism type thing. i remember using a flame sword that was pretty good. i know this is pretty vague as there were thousands of games like this, but maybe someone will remember it. i was only 7 or 8 when i played the game.

It's been ages since I played any of the Mac shareware RPGs, but the most likely candidates are Realmz, Taskmaker/Tomb of Taskmaker, and maybe one of the Yipe! games. There was also a series called "Exile" unrelated to either of the other two Exile series of RPGs I know of. If it's not any of those, I don't know.

Realmz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realmz
Taskmaker - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TaskMaker
Yipe! - http://www.yipesoftware.com/
Exile - http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/exile/macexile.html

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 27, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I remember this ancient NES game that played a bit like Zelda and one level I remember took place in a hedge maze, and you had to find (I think) Pandora's Box in the middle of it. Maybe I'm mistaken, but this is all I remember. It's been at least 15 years...If anyone could help me find it, it'd be awesome.

Try Crystalis, Faria, or Magic of Scheherazade.

I haven't really played any of these games, but every time someone requests a Zelda-like game for the NES, it tends to be one of these three.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 7, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Kameh posted:

My request - An old PSX game I had on a demo disc. You were some type of malevolent entity or poltergeist. Your job was to set up booby traps and such in a house, and it was your goal to influence visitors into your traps. I remember it looked sorta like Resident Evil. I'm fairly sure it wasn't "Poltergeist." It was a weird title, possibly foreign.

Tecmo's Deception, or one of its sequels.

I'm looking for a game I read about a few months ago and don't believe has come out yet. I don't remember what system it's for. It's a collection of "old" games by a fictional company, or a collection of new games made to resemble retro games, something like that. I remember it includes a full-length RPG. I had this exact idea a couple years ago, and am delighted that someone is actually making it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 29, 2008

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Rock Tumbler posted:

Retro Game Challenge.

Thank you! I hadn't actually seen screenshots for this before. I cannot wait to play this.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

NJ Deac posted:

Here's another one:

It's an NES game (might be Super NES?, hard to remember exactly) that I rented once in the early/mid 90s.

It was a top down RPG a la Final Fantasy, but I don't remember the production values being all that high. I remember the protagonist having bright blond hair and a blue outfit. The main distinguishing feature of the game was that you had two parties who you could switch between, and when you recruited characters they had some characteristic that put them in one party or the other. I think it may have used the 108 stars of destiny legend like in Suikoden, but it definitely wasn't a Suikoden game. Any ideas?

Tecmo's Secret of the Stars. It's on SNES, it just looks like a NES game.

Barry Scott posted:

I can't remember the name of a PS1 RPG. You played as a knight who, one day, finds a little pink monster and befriends it. I also remember something about getting kicked out of a village because of the monster.

Guardian's Crusade.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 19, 2009

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Trykt posted:

Sega Genesis game, it was a side scrolling action RPG and you could pick between I think 3 different characters - a human warrior dude, a mage who I think was a chick and like a dwarf guy. It was completely flat, not isometric like Golden Axe (which sounds very similar I admit but this was not the same series at all). I remember it was very darkly colored and I just thought it was really cool when I was a kid, but I don't remember much else about it or even if I ever got very far in it. I recall that it was pretty hard, you only got 1 life or something.

I don't think this is the Genesis version of Cadash (that only had two characters, I believe), but it sounds very similar.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Just thought of one. This was an arcade game that I played a ROM of back in 2003. It was a 2D fighter with anime graphics that wasn't part of any series that I know of. It was very stylish, and I'm almost certain there was a character named Cool. Cool might have been wearing a white button-down shirt and have had a haircut that made him look like a male model, or that might have been another character. I remember thinking the characters were unusually well-dressed. I want to say there was a typewriter font used, and the whole atmosphere of the thing was anime film noir, but that might be wrong.

I'd date it around 1997 or more recent, as it looked at least as good as Street Fighter 3.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Edit: Nope I'm wrong, you are thinking of Daraku Tenshi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYl1N_TH-ic
Well that video is kind of hosed up anyway but you get the idea.

I think this is it! Thanks.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Lilac1 posted:

Commodore 64 days, this one.
Side scrolling beat-em-up where you start off in a forest, and walk to the right until you meet a guy in a cap, who 3 out of 4 times would beat the crap out of my three year old self. If you perservered, you kept walking until you came to what i remember was a building with more of these capclad henchmen.

Not much to go on, but it's been bugging me for quite some time.

As far as I can tell, a TON of arcade/NES games were ported to C64, so it's possible, maybe even likely, that this is something relatively popular by SNK or Capcom. The first thing that came to mind was P.O.W. You're not in a forest, but you're in a compound inside one, enemies wear caps, and you can enter buildings where more of them are. Any chance this might be it?

Edit: Actually, no, it isn't, as according to GameFAQs, there was no C64 version of P.O.W. Was it similar to this, though?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

The Ninth Layer posted:

Alright how about this one, it's a Wild West adventure game with some shooting elements in. Most of the game works up to a big duel with, not Billy the Kid but some other guy with a similar name, and you you beat him by using the right insult on him and then shooting him at the right time.

The ending isn't exactly as you describe it, I think, but Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist is a Wild West adventure game with Kenny the Kid being the guy you fight at the end.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Alright, here's one. An isometric PC shooter (kind of like Zombies Ate My Neighbors) from 15ish years ago where the player controlled a stereotypical tough-guy archetype. You collected batteries for health(?) and there was a stone-age level filled with cavemen who threw bones at you. That's all I remember.

Power Pete, more recently rereleased as Mighty Mike. I believe it was/is Mac only.

Edit: Here's another one I don't remember. This was a kids' title I had around 1995-96 that probably came bundled with my Mac Performa 6220. The entirety of the game (or maybe just one activity in the game) was making movies where you guided this "snake" made of balls around a backdrop of your choosing. There were a lot of premade backdrops, most of them strange or abstract-looking, but I remember one was definitely a kitchen with a round clock on the wall. You could select from a variety of music as well, and there was a "mask" tool that let you select areas on the screen where your snake would disappear, so you could make it seem to go behind or through things.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 13, 2009

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

SuiteXVI posted:

I've been wracking my brain trying to remember this game I rented several times for the SNES back in the late 80's or early 90's. I could never find it in stores at the time and I've totally forgotten the name.

It's a side scrolling platform/shooting game along the lines of Ghosts n Goblins. You play as a little goblin/fairy guy. The art is very "Hobbity", mushrooms and plants etc. I seem to remember levels above ground as well as in caves.

In retrospect, it doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy at all, but I remember renting it repeatedly and having a blast playing it and thinking the art style was great. I've never seen it referenced since then. Does my vague description ring any bells at all?

It sounds like The Misadventures of Flink, for Genesis/Sega CD. Obviously that's not right as it's the wrong system, but is this the same sort of art style you mean?

Edit: Knew I remembered playing a SNES game that reminded me a bit of this. Was it Incantation? It's Hobbity-looking, the first level has mushrooms, it has chests popping up like Ghouls & Ghosts, and it's one of the less common titles on the system, which would go along with your not being able to find it in stores. But it came out in 1996. If you're fairly sure about the late '80s, you're probably mistaken and thinking of a NES game.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 16, 2009

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I remember playing some game where a male character says
"That's beaucoups bucks too many!" in what I believe is a Texan-sounding voice, possibly when you're trying to buy something you can't afford. That one quote is echoing repeatedly in my head, and I can't place it. Might be a point-and-click adventure game, might even be Full Throttle—does anyone know offhand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Polsy posted:

Pimp's Quest

Hahaha, right, figures it would be a Newgrounds game I played like five years ago and completely forgot about.

• Locked thread