Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Save Russian Jews posted:

When I was in high school, I played this original Xbox game (whose name I can't remember) with my friend. He's since died and I'm interested in playing the game for nostalgia.

It was a multiplayer Gauntlet 3D clone that played with a semi-isometric third-person view, but the boss (of at least a level or two) had a camera set facing the like, giant dragon(?) and the players could move laterally on a bridge or something as they fought it. Any ideas what this game was called?

My friends and I used to love playing these kinds of games together too. I can take a few guesses at this, but none are perfect. Maybe one of them will ring a bell.

Dungeons & Dragons Heroes is an Xbox exclusive multiplayer action RPG of that sort where up to four people take control of iconic D&D classes. This one is a lot like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath, if you ever played those. Less arcadey and a little more Diablo-like than Gauntlet. There's a dragon boss but you don't fight it on a bridge.

Phantasy Star Online was a multiplayer action RPG with online and offline multiplayer and at least one dragon boss the camera force-focused on in the way I think you're describing. It wasn't Xbox-exclusive and isn't very much like Gauntlet, though.

Finally there's Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows an actual Gauntlet game that got an Xbox release. It's... not very good, and is definitely a pretty big change from the Gauntlets (Legends and Dark Legacy) you're talking about, but still fits the same general description of genre and perspective. I don't know if it has a boss like you described or not, I never finished it.

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The one that came to mind for me reading that - noting it could indeed be almost anything - was The Combatribes.

The question is doubly complicated because the arcade versions of a lot of multiple character beat-em-ups (Combatribes among them) don't have character select screens, your character selection is based on which spot on the machine you play, so who knows whether or not the game the guy is remembering had different characters or not.

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 1, 2018

• Locked thread