Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Older DOS game, set on a tropical island of some sort, very colorful. It was an FPS, and had a humorously high gore level. The game started with a (gory) plane crash, you're the only survivor, and you shoot what I THINK were monsters on the island.

The main thing I remember is if you quit the game, it showed a cutscene of your character blowing his own head off with a shotgun. Very bizarre game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah, it was Isle of the Dead, thanks. :)

And that cowboy game, for some reason, makes it sound like you're talking about Dust: A Tale of the Wired West.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Ninth Layer posted:

gently caress yes, this was it!!

Staying at the gambling house was what gave it away for me. :)

I've got two more, though sadly these are going to be from memories that are a decade old, if not older, so they could be kinda tough.

First up is a weird little platformer, that was a shareware episodic game back in the era of CGA/EGA. It was vaguely fantasy themed, had three episodes (each sold separately IIRC), and you shot little beams to fight enemies and had real pixelated human hearts for a lifebar. Very basic, similar to Jill of the Jungle style platforming too. I believe it MAY have been published by Apogee, as well.

Next is much more vague, and I only remember the opening sequence of the game. You were riding on horseback, and were a prince or knight or something along those lines, but I don't recall you being very heavily armored. While riding, you only had two controls, swing the sword or lean off the side of the horse (to dodge unkillable stuff or pick things up off the ground like potions). I think if you managed to get past this, you went off horseback, but I could never get much further because I was terrible at it. It had a decent style to it, though, and was definitely fantasy themed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Dark Ages and Wrath of the Demon are both right. You guys are good at this. :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Old DOS game, side-scrolling shmup. You played as a little grey spaceship (with a blue windshield IIRC) and flew through four or five levels. I remember very little about the game, except it had parallax scrolling backgrounds, some sort of gigantic grey ship boss that took up most of the screen (you flew overtop it I think), and there was either a cheat or a default option to turn off the different parallax layers.

The graphic style was also that very aged "we like using simple gradients for EVERYTHING" look from before developers actually knew how to properly use the VGA color palette.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cowd posted:

Another is this fighting game in a cartoonish SVGA style from the same period. I think you controlled anthropomorphic rats and mice in robot suits. Or something. Anyway you could not just punch and kick and use special moves but also fire machine guns. I remember there was an ammo counter.

No ammo counter, but sounds kind of like Battle Beast, which was an awful game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Corridor posted:

Bumping this in case someone remembers it. Stupid game was retarded fun. If no one gets it this time I'll consider it lost to the internet. :(

Was there, by chance, a sequel? I remember something very much like this but the original had you like, going through a mall, and there weren't really any enemies to speak of, just swarms of people to kill. The original was free, the sequel was like, $20 or something.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

moller posted:

Sounds vaguely similar to Hateful Chris? That was linear and had a plot and stages though.

Wasn't the one he was looking for, but it was the one I was thinking of! Thanks, I'd forgotten the name a long time ago. :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

axolotl farmer posted:

What's the arcade on the left that says 'Eat this!'?

YOSPOS needs to know/

It's a photoshopped cabinet based on this animation, I believe. Why exactly? Not a clue.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tug Grundo posted:

What is the name of this arcade piano game? I know I've seen it or something very similar to it at a Dave & Busters here in the States.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTUQ_4rxvQ

That's definitely Pop'n Music. They actually have made it for PS2 for some time, up to the 14th game in the series. (They're up to 18.)

This video is from Pop'n Music 7, specifically, though the song (Classic 4 - Concertare) was originally on Pop'n Music 4.

Here's a more recent video showing something of a similar skill level for how good people are at the game now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BX4LQYBUVY

:suicide:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Morpheus posted:

That's what I thought too, but she's pretty sure it's not, and I know that we never owned that game (played the third one at my Japanese friend's home though, why isn't there a translation patch for that :(). When I think back to the game in question, I have some exceptionally distant memories of what she's talking about, and if I saw pictures of it I'm certain I'd know it.

If it's not that, you might be thinking of Pocky & Rocky, which is pretty similar and also incredibly Japanese.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Here's a really really obscure one. When I was little, I got a Double Pro Fighter for the SNES and a big box of pirated games on floppy disks. One of the unlabeled disks had this bizarre Japanese board game on it, where anime girls went around and played rock paper scissors against monsters on other parts of the board. Kind of like a weird anime Candyland I guess. There seemed to be a plot of some kind, and I vaguely recall thinking it was a sequel somehow. But, it was totally in Japanese, and I was ten.

If anyone has any idea what the hell I'm talking about, you'll sort of be my hero. I don't really want to play it again, but it'd be nice to know just WTF it was.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hakkesshu posted:

Is it Yuujin no Furi Furi Girls*?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQET29YxdIg

*Note: I have never heard of this game, but I searched for janken games on the SNES, and it definitely fits the description. There might be other games in the series if this isn't the one you're thinking of.

That's it, hot drat. And here I am years later, it still makes little to no sense whatsoever. That battle music brings back memories though. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Camo Guitar posted:

Mortal Kombat 2?

That actually sounds more like Eternal Champions, which kinda blew on the Genesis but had a passable remake/update on the Sega CD. Sawblades all over the place.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It was pretty graphic given the tone of the rest of the game. I think I got it on one of those RotT CDs too, and that whole shooting themselves for failure thing really only made sense once I found out about the insane creators.

Great game though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Baronjutter posted:

A few days ago someone posted some gif of an incredibly violent sort of side-scrolling racing game where your dude violently falls apart as you gently caress up. Was a flash game or something... help me out???

That would be Happy Wheels. Also violently falling apart isn't so much loving up as it is an inevitability.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyone know the name of the game that's a pretty obvious spiritual successor to Tenchu? I'm pretty sure it hasn't been released yet.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Shinobido 2. It's a Vita exclusive :gonk:

It's an old PS2 game, actually. The Vita one is more of a remake.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SEKCobra posted:

You drive a car (maybe one out of 3?) down a straight highway with changing environments, there are enemies and I think you have some sort of weapon on your car. The game might have been freeware or at least was pretty much on every magazine CD at one point. I think there might have been a helicopter at some point in the game.

I know this is vague and therefore a longshot, but also worth a try.

Sounds like a knockoff of Roadblasters.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
That's incredibly vague but it sounds a little like Jill of the Jungle maybe?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RickDaedalus posted:

Yeah that's it. Aerosmith X is the SNES version of the game (you weren't fast enough).

No, it was called Revolution X on all systems. They made sure to point out the branding a lot more for the home releases though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rent-a-Bot posted:

I remember seeing an ios srpg where you made units out of songs from your phone's library but for the life of me I can't remember it. Can anyone help me out here?

That sounds like Song Summoner, which wasn't for iOS, it was for the regular iPod.

• Locked thread