Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Circa 1993, I remember going over to a neighbor's house to play a black and white game on a Macintosh computer with a mouse. It was a tricky platform-style game set in an older time wherein you played a young adventurer trying to collect a series of orbs for a purpose I can't remember.

Distinguishing Features:
-The main menu theme was Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D-minor.
-As a weapon, your character threw rocks. You used the mouse to aim, wheeling your character's arm like a clock dial, and clicked to throw. The rock would continue in a straight line -- no Newtonian motion. I remember one level where you could find a wizard to upgrade your rocks to flaming rocks.
-You had limited ammunition, but bags of rocks were plentiful
-Levels included a labyrinth filled with rats, an anteroom where you kept the orbs, and the Black Forest, where you ride a helicopter-backpack (wtf) above the woods and fend off bats.

I was little, so I don't remember many other details, but I'd love to know what this game actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rollersnake posted:

Even better, there was a third one just a few years ago, from the original creator. My Powerbook unfortunately died around this time, and I've never gotten to play it.

Dark Castle has a bit of a reputation as a poo poo game, but it's really a great one that happened to get godawful ports. The precision rock throwing is absolutely essential to the game being playable, and none of its ports had a viable alternative to mouse aiming.
Yes! It was totally Dark Castle.

And I have to laugh, because I found it on an emulator, and I was really excited to play it, but god, it is actually really frustrating.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Long shot here...

I was a kid in Germany ca. 1991 and my dad took me to an outdoor festival with a cabinet-style arcade game. Here's what I remember:

-It was a platformer
-You played a space-man astronaut-type person
-There was a planet selection screen
-It was in color

Any ideas? So strange the memories that stay with us.

Here's another that should be a bit more familiar since it is more recent. I would troll Game Hippo endlessly in high school instead of doing my homework. This was a free, downloadable puzzle game where you had to destroy demons on a grid-like board using other demons (?) that would shoot out flames in set patterns. The idea was to set off chain reactions to eventually clear the board.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Light Gun Man posted:

Unlikely stab here but maybe....

Hm... close, but not quite. I remember gravity was a factor. The demo had the player losing his life by falling through a hole in the ground.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gromit posted:

Xain'd Sleena? Starts with a planet selection screen.

You know, this fits my description so perfectly, this must be it. The gameplay definitely seems familiar.

This thread is incredible.

• Locked thread