Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«656 »
Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How much light does it need? Are we talking "Won't work 200 feet under the surface of the earth, where not even the faintest ray of light gets through from the sun", or "Won't work on a cloudy night"? Would it work on a cloudy night, but with less detail/clarity?

Very little. The tiny little power LED on your monitor would light up the entire room, the hallway outside said room, and still make a noticeable difference in the room 30 feet down the hallway. If you can see some stars in the sky you're good to go.

As was previously mentioned no light at all means there is nothing for it to amplify, so it won't work. That's why you often have a little integrated infrared flashlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Strangler
Jul 21, 2009

I 'snapped' and killed a bird and its baby purely because their chirping annoyed me. I got a buzz out of killing them both with one shot.

In other words, I have the mind of a serial killer.

The article talked about how .22lr was used effectively by poachers...

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser

Give me Flibbity posted:

The article talked about how .22lr was used effectively by poachers...

Right, the sentiment is against using it as a primary caliber for hunting/home defense/ccw/etc. Basically things you want a clean humane kill on. .22lr cannot guarantee this, so it is not recommended. Poaching is an anything goes free for all where the only goal is not to get caught. I have seen people shoot deer with muzzleloaders in archery season and stuff an arrow into the wound, all sorts of weird and whacky poo poo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.

Miso Beno posted:

Laws against the use of .223 against deer are dumb, but yes 22lr is just a little underpowered to insure a clean kill.

Not if you use an American-180...

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

Get well soon!

Miso Beno posted:

Laws against the use of .223 against deer are dumb, but yes 22lr is just a little underpowered to insure a clean kill.

.223 is legal in Sweden when hunting deer. Also shotguns. I really want to take my mini-14 out hunting deer now

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Try to Catch Me Ridin' Dirty

Heintron posted:

.223 is legal in Sweden when hunting deer. Also shotguns. I really want to take my mini-14 out hunting deer now

I still want to hunt a bear with an RPG-7. Palin Style.

rabbitmonger
Jan 16, 2008

AAAUGH

REAL men hunt deer with trebuchets

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

"Wouldn't want to see an angry turtle with a gun, would ya? "

Well...

rabbitmonger posted:

REAL men hunt deer with trebuchets

Rollin' this out again: http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

You bastard I googled for that and by the time I had scrolled down to see if it was the right one you'd already posted it. TURTLES

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Well...

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Nevertheless that guy is a true American hero and deserves all the reposts he can get.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Im gonna do this with birdshot during duck season.

WTB Howitzer.

rabbitmonger
Jan 16, 2008

AAAUGH

You could probably take a whole herd of deer if you used a canister round. The tricky part would be sneaking the cannon close enough.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.

penis bandana posted:

Im gonna do this with birdshot during duck season.

WTB Howitzer.

You want a punt gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Vt0mr2sjE

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My house is right under a fairly substantial Canadian goose flyway. Sometimes the get so low in transit between two adjacent fields that I could get on the roof and "hunt" them with a tennis racket or a golf club. Sometimes tens of thousands of them block out the sun and I've often mused about how much gross garbage-scavenging goose meat I could procure if I had a conveniently placed cannon trained on the direction they usually come from.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

...essence

walrusman posted:

Nevertheless that guy is a true American hero and deserves all the reposts he can get.

If he was just shooting deer with a howitzer, I would agree. However, he also takes a untoward amount of joy from killing baited cats with mortars, in a really creepy way.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Oh, this gun I paid full market price for at an online auction visible to the entire internet?

Heh, I practically stole it.

I'm rather pleased indeed.

Yes!

Chantilly Say
Apr 18, 2008

Coup.

walrusman posted:

My house is right under a fairly substantial Canadian goose flyway. Sometimes the get so low in transit between two adjacent fields that I could get on the roof and "hunt" them with a tennis racket or a golf club. Sometimes tens of thousands of them block out the sun and I've often mused about how much gross garbage-scavenging goose meat I could procure if I had a conveniently placed cannon trained on the direction they usually come from.

Sounds like what you really want is one of these: http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=106106

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

what is a man?

Miso Beno posted:

Palin Style.
With a caddy?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Chantilly Say posted:

Sounds like what you really want is one of these: http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=106106

That's amazingly cheap but I think the tennis racket still has the edge on affordability.

Inspector_71 posted:

If he was just shooting deer with a howitzer, I would agree. However, he also takes a untoward amount of joy from killing baited cats with mortars, in a really creepy way.

Oh then gently caress that guy.

Kitty.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

...essence

walrusman posted:

Kitty.

Seriously, read this creepy poo poo: http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Inspector_71 posted:

Seriously, read this creepy poo poo: http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm

Just don't scroll past "fleecing the feds" tactic #10. I have to hug all my cats now.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Before anyone says it, yes, feral cats are not domestic cats and they're probably a net detriment to the ecosystem. But anyone who enjoys exploding cats that much is a maniac. Sorry.

Gonna go hug my cats too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

...essence

walrusman posted:

Before anyone says it, yes, feral cats are not domestic cats and they're probably a net detriment to the ecosystem. But anyone who enjoys exploding cats that much is a maniac. Sorry.

Trapping feral cats or even shooting them or whatever is a whole different story from the sadistic poo poo in the webpage. If he talked about the deer that way it would be just as creepy, but the deer thing is mainly "It's cool because you killed them with a loving cannon, not that you killed them" whereas the cat page is "Look at how you scare them and then they die it's fantastic!" and "Look at this picture of a dead cat what a perfect trophy!"

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2011 around 23:13

Mister Sinewave
Feb 9, 2008

Please hold still, this won't take a moment.

Well, that page does say

THE ACTIVITIES SHOWN HERE ARE FOR VIEWER ENTERTAINMENT ONLY
NO ANIMALS WERE ACTUALLY HARMED OR INJURED IN ANY WAY

Which I choose to interpret as genuine and not

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In short, as the owner/operator of both a dick and a set of (admittedly male) nipples I'm not entirely sure that Suetonius is writing about impossibilities here.

kitty's just taking a little nap

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

with half a head

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Oh, this gun I paid full market price for at an online auction visible to the entire internet?

walrusman posted:

That's amazingly cheap but I think the tennis racket still has the edge on affordability.

Kitty.

Feral cats aren't "kitty". I'm guessing you have never had to deal with feral cats. They are the wildest, nastiest, meanest little animals ever.

The crazy thing is that they breed like rabbits, rabbits that kill *everything*. While they do hunt to eat, they are still house cats, so they just kill everything they come across for the hell of it.

There's an estimated 120-160 million feral cats in the US. In one study a single cat killed 1,600 animals in 18 months. It's kind of a problem, even if blasting them with a mortar is in bad taste, I expect anyone who has had to deal with feral cats can understand the sentiment.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In short, as the owner/operator of both a dick and a set of (admittedly male) nipples I'm not entirely sure that Suetonius is writing about impossibilities here.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Feral cats aren't "kitty". I'm guessing you have never had to deal with feral cats. They are the wildest, nastiest, meanest little animals ever.

The crazy thing is that they breed like rabbits, rabbits that kill *everything*. While they do hunt to eat, they are still house cats, so they just kill everything they come across for the hell of it.

There's an estimated 120-160 million feral cats in the US. In one study a single cat killed 1,600 animals in 18 months. It's kind of a problem, even if blasting them with a mortar is in bad taste, I expect anyone who has had to deal with feral cats can understand the sentiment.

walrusman posted:

Read to the end of the thread before jumping someone's poo poo.

There's about half a dozen people between the post you quoted and the end talking about how feral cats suck, but anyone who makes the comments that guy did is a sick gently caress.

I've shot more than my fair share of ferals, mostly because they're territorial as hell and would gently caress up my mom's cats. Even so, you don't devise new and sadistic ways to kill them, you just pop them with something big enough to do it quickly and humanely. Personally, I've used x39 and 7.5 Swiss and preferred the x39 for various reasons.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Read to the end of the thread before jumping someone's poo poo.

There's about half a dozen people between the post you quoted and the end talking about how feral cats suck, but anyone who makes the comments that guy did is a sick gently caress.

Yeah, I got distracted by email and didn't hit refresh before finishing up my email.

Regardless, feral cats are really bad news, I stand by that. Anyone who thinks they are cute little kitties is just not fully informed.

That guy's comments put him on par in my mind wit people who blow away prairie dogs with "varmint grenades".

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

It's kind of a problem, even if blasting them with a mortar is in bad taste, I expect anyone who has had to deal with feral cats can understand the sentiment.

I get what you're saying, I really do, even though my coddled suburban upbringing has made me generally unable to kill cute things personally. However, I said the same thing about the people who post those videos of pink mist on youtube, set to blaring shred-music. If you enjoy watching animals die that graphically and excessively, then you have some serious mental problems.

edit: haha and this is what happens when I talk on the phone for 15 minutes between clicking reply and clicking submit.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

That guy's comments put him on par in my mind wit people who blow away prairie dogs with "varmint grenades".

Yep. Those guys.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've shot more than my fair share of ferals, mostly because they're territorial as hell and would gently caress up my mom's cats. Even so, you don't devise new and sadistic ways to kill them, you just pop them with something big enough to do it quickly and humanely. Personally, I've used x39 and 7.5 Swiss and preferred the x39 for various reasons.

Are these cats wearing kevlar or something? Surely trapping them and popping them with a .22 or, if you want to feel reassured, 9 mm would be adequate. Hell you don't even have to trap them if you've got 9mm out of a carbine.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Are these cats wearing kevlar or something? Surely trapping them and popping them with a .22 or, if you want to feel reassured, 9 mm would be adequate. Hell you don't even have to trap them if you've got 9mm out of a carbine.

IIRC he was doing this off a deck/balcony at a distance of a hundred yards or more.

WitchFetish
Jan 8, 2011

legende de l'insigne de la maitrise

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Maybe because he needed the extra range a rifle rounds offers over a pistol round ?

The existence of feral cats is great news for me : I have a score to settle with cats, but can't bring myself to unleash the pain on domesticated cats.

(yet)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

...essence

Quit bein' mad at cats:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

WitchFetish posted:

The existence of feral cats is great news for me : I have a score to settle with cats, but can't bring myself to unleash the pain on domesticated cats.

(yet)
you right now

Ozmiander
Dec 1, 2009

Jeep

The existence of feral goons is great news for me : I have a score to settle with goons, but can't bring myself to unleash the pain on domesticated goons.

(yet)

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Well...

Ozmiander posted:

The existence of feral ghouls is great news for me : I have a score to settle with ghouls, but can't bring myself to unleash the pain on domesticated ghouls.

(yet)

Hamboning
May 2, 2010

That is clearly out of season, that goon is far too skinny to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Two pictures in my giant folder of randoms poo poo I found cleaning up this computer seem applicable to this discussion.

«656 »