Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I gotta contain spoilers cause this movie is awful and I have to discuss the whole thing

*SPOILERS*
The Strangers is a fascinating movie in that the director of this film seemed to want to push the boundries and try something different for a horror film. What is most fascinating is that the boundries he pushed were put there in order to guide others into making an effective horror movie. The director ends up not showing us a horror movie at all but a bizzare surreal neo-classical film, in the italian style, about a cult of serial killers who appearntly spend their time working out vigourously when they're not spooking and then eventually killing people. Because let me tell you, these people are good at briefly scaring you then disappearing into the night with super human speed. This movie was like The Bicycle Theif if that movie was a schlocky picture about two people who lack periphal vision and the instinct to survey their surroundings for people who are clearly standing right behind them. I can only assume the titular "Strangers" spent lots of time perfecting the art of walking at a brisk pace without so much as making a sound. Somewhere along the way the main dude's friends barges into the house when he notices that CLEARLY something has happened since there is broken poo poo everywhere. Instead of doing something normal like calling out his friends name or looking around for him, he slows down to the most dramatic creep walk and slowly inches, unbeknonst to him, to his swift death by friendly discharge of buckshot to the brain. The approriate reaction by the man, his friend, who shot him, is played for maybe 30 seconds until they both get over it and go looking for these strange fellows. The same who have been writing things on their walls, including the up to minute update "KILLER" on the window literally 30 seconds after the guy killed his friend. For the rest of the movie I'm not sure what happened. Liv Tyler whirled and twirled around franctically until finally confronting one of the masked asailants and bodly proclaiming "he's gonna kill you". I am not a screen writer in hollywood but I would tell the writer of this film that if someone had just been realistically experiencing the kind of trauma this lady has been for the last hour, the first time she would say something to her tormentors, it would probably be something more along the lines of "AHHHHHH" or the cliche but nonetheless realistic "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS" or "WHO ARE YOU". Instead Liv Tyler displays that her charatcer has been contemplating deeply the interal dynamic of this group of scoundrels and concluded that she can convince one of them to turn on their leader. Or something. I dont know. Then the end shows how they will be killed but not the actual act. We are left to what amounts to radio drama as we HEAR the hounds of them being stabbed to death. Oh and mormon kids freakout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU