Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«20 »
Soooooooul Penis
Sep 6, 2004

Helmacron posted:

I like to use a fixed 28mm rectilinear lense. Also I just discovered the definition of a "prime" lens. To me, a "prime" is always a main lense used in a set-up and apparently some stinkyhole's changed it when I wasn't watching. I don't mingle enough.

Here's a photo, and I'm siding with my buddy Soul Penis, HDR yo.

Also, a great big gently caress you to sky. I don't even like sky in my photos. I think I might actually just ban sky. No more sky. I'm done with it.

I never like the sky in HDR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Im really with you, I used to like doing hdr stuff but any more I just like masking better as I cant stand what tone-mapping does to some things.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Sorry if I'm "necro-ing" this, but I'd really love a good (large) night cityscape type panorama. There's been a couple posted but they're only preview size.

Anyone taken any more good panoramas in general? I'm looking to print out one (or maybe more if they turn out well).

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Woo. Man, this is a lot of photos, and it's kinda killed me for a bit, especially because I can't process it without a Cray. Or whatever the supercomputer of 2009 is yet. Have we hit Quantum?

Anyway, I've been playing with my Hasselblad lately, and I'm contemplating maybe a panorama with that. A panorama made up of like, 5 or 6 seriously huge negatives. I've got like, five or six rolls of Fuji Reala 100, and they'll make for some seriously wicked long exposures. Find a friend to let me scan them, pow, huge panorama on film, which all the arty people jerk off over, and then I'll put it into one of those million art exhibitions that are reserved for artists who use real equipment.

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006

My first panorama, I'm pleased with how it turned out. Initially there were more photos but autostitch seems to have problems with >360deg of coverage, it created a wierd figure of 8 thing.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Helmacron posted:

Woo. Man, this is a lot of photos, and it's kinda killed me for a bit, especially because I can't process it without a Cray. Or whatever the supercomputer of 2009 is yet. Have we hit Quantum?

Anyway, I've been playing with my Hasselblad lately, and I'm contemplating maybe a panorama with that. A panorama made up of like, 5 or 6 seriously huge negatives. I've got like, five or six rolls of Fuji Reala 100, and they'll make for some seriously wicked long exposures. Find a friend to let me scan them, pow, huge panorama on film, which all the arty people jerk off over, and then I'll put it into one of those million art exhibitions that are reserved for artists who use real equipment.
I've really been wondering, how do you take that many pictures and ensure that every single spot is covered?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

s0meb0dy0 posted:

I've really been wondering, how do you take that many pictures and ensure that every single spot is covered?

Decide where to start: Okay! Top left! Take a photo! Now, look in the camera, at the right side of the image until you've picked up a few details, got it? Okay, move the camera right until those details are on the left side of the soon to be taken photo. Take a photo! Keep doing this until you get to the end of the row, now, take notice what's at the bottom of the photo. Got it? Good! Move the camera down until whatever you saw at the bottom is on the top. Good? Keep going, back and forth, back and forth until you get to the bottom. Be meticulous, if you're on a digital, refer back to the last photo and get it right. If at the end, you think "did I miss an area?", you probably did and boy, you are going to be sooooo sad when you get home.

That's it, really. Um. To be honest, I'm unhappy with this image. I'm going to go back and take it again with a x2 on my 500mm reflex lens, so it'll be 1000mm F/16. But I think the photo will be that much better for it.

I've broken my remote shutter release for my Nikon D700, so while I've got like five on order, I'm playing with my Hasselblad. All images are, in fact, not blurry. They are so loving crisp you can cut yourself if you use a magnifying glass. They became a little blurry when I had to photograph them laying on my computer screen.

I'm pretty happy at how well my Hasselblad works in regards to this, but I'm not happy about these panoramas. Honestly, I probably should stick to night time photography. Woo. Ten minute exposures at F/32.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005
FILLLLLM

I found this digging through my archives for the photo hunt game.

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap

I can't believe I never posted this here before. Downtown Tulsa, Boston Street.

This is one a took early on, I'd like to go back and try to retake it to see if I could do better this time around.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Taken on film with a medium format Hasselblad! Very exciting. 6 photos each.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I'm about to lose my pro status on Flickr. So one last photo before I go.

This is a small world or little planet panorama taken from underneath a bridge. I've decided pretty much to forget about small world panoramics. gently caress 'em. I can't take the nadir so they get all screwy and because I'm on a tower or under a bridge, you don't get that sweet small world ideal.

And that's it. Back to mercator for me. And probably I'll stop killing this thread. I wish more people liked panoramas.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I used to fiddle around with Panoramas a bit, haven't done anything for a while though. All shot on a Pentax K10D and merged with Autostitch. Click all for big.

Old Parliament House

City and surrounds from Mt Ainslie

View from the 2nd at Crescent Head Country Club.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

This is a 9 photo pan of Lake Ontario. I had to mess with the water to get it to stitch nicely. I was doing this hand held so I couldn't slow the shutter to smooth the water.

The Wensey
Jun 25, 2008

THIS IS MY ORGANIZATION NOW,...BRO!

Wish I could link to a bigger version, but alas I am poor.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...

wensey that's really nice, where was it taken?

The Wensey
Jun 25, 2008

Essentially my backyard, in a nature reserve/protected open space area.

It's called Wildwood, in Thousand Oaks. They filmed Gunsmoke here, and a lot of other westerns too.

The Wensey
Jun 25, 2008

poopinmymouth posted:

I've done quite a few here: http://www.poopinmymouth.com/net/pi...panoramics.html

One for example:

Also, can somebody please tell me how the gently caress you do these without getting the crazy distortion in the middle?

See how mine has this crazy vortex in the middle, and the other doesn't? How does this work?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

It looks like you've taken it 360, but not 180. You need to photograph what they call the "nadir". Which means move the tripod and photograph the ground. I suspect, anyway. I can't see because that image is pretty small. But also, what program did you use to make that?

EDIT: My computer has been processing a panorama for 32 hours.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Helmacron posted:

You obviously need a faster computer

The Wensey
Jun 25, 2008

Helmacron posted:

It looks like you've taken it 360, but not 180. You need to photograph what they call the "nadir". Which means move the tripod and photograph the ground. I suspect, anyway. I can't see because that image is pretty small. But also, what program did you use to make that?

I tried photographing the ground directly below me, but it doesn't work in that picture at all because my lens isn't wide enough to get the ground NEAR me. (28mm) That picture was about....230 or something, the edges just happened to line up well enough. I just used Photomerge in Photoshop.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Represent!

Some of the really wide ones are really wide - at 300dpi they are 1'x6' or so. They look pretty awesome full size, I'd love to get a few of them printed and framed.

My first panorama:
Kodiak, Alaska

Took it and tried to stitch the pictures by hand using paint.net - what a disaster. But then I found autostitch, and all was well. It inspired me to take a bunch on a trip I took recently:

Tervete, Latvia

Copenhagen, Denmark

Florence, Italy

Edinburgh, Scotland

Paris, France

(this one is cool because those are the roads that lead away from the arch de triumph - they really form a spoke, but are straighted thanks the the magic of perspective and me walking around whilst taking the photos)

Rome (and Vatican City), Italy

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2009 around 05:02

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Delta-Wye posted:

Some of the really wide ones are really wide - at 300dpi they are 1'x6' or so. They look pretty awesome full size, I'd love to get a few of them printed and framed.

I used to use autostitch. Be careful when your taking panos, some of yours look like you could have had it on an auto mode. Doing panoramic in auto modes will result in dark patches. I do like your stuff though, keep it up. If you want more control, give photoshops panoramic tool a try. Its a little more work but you get a lot more control over your result.

I didnt realize how few of my panoramics I had posted. Heres a few, mostly fairly new but a few old ones.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009

Helmacron posted:

Whoa, that's one hell of a crazy shot.

Experimenting with my first panorama. Had no tripod so I just shot on continuous mode and panned.

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

The view from my campsite this weekend at Tuttle Creek state park just outside Manhattan, KS.

Hohner
Sep 23, 2007

This is my first attempt and the view from my window. A lot more mundane than most of these shots but I thought I should give it a go.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Zoomify viewer for the full-size image: http://ww.no3rdw.com/misc/pano/

Edit for one more:

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at Sep 28, 2009 around 03:27

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Gambl0r posted:

Edit for one more:

this is wonderful.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Gambl0r posted:

And the little planet version:

What settings are you using for the planet versions?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

The tonal values need some adjustment, but this would look great printed four feet wide and framed well.

Munkaboo
Aug 4, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Full: http://awhitemunk.com/granada%20copy.jpg

Granada

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Valles Caldera, New Mexico

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at Oct 18, 2009 around 17:24

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Oh, herro!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

Full: http://awhitemunk.com/granada%20copy.jpg

Granada

Granada, oasis of my soul. Well, it was definitely a highlight of my travels in Europe at least.

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Cool.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Seeing Jens Lekman play a backyard in Sydney, Aus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

One I took whilst visiting Hong Kong last week:

Sha Tin Racecourse:

Done using autostitch, I might try and regen using Photomerge and a machine with more RAM now I'm at home

«20 »