Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Help.

Some guy was looking for help setting up his brand new 55 gallon salt water aquarium. He's a raw beginner and I'm happy to help out. I sent him a bunch of links about aquarium keeping in general, some salt water specific stuff, advice, etc. I even sent him a nice little link with some beginner level fish.

He bought a Japanese Bullhead Shark and gleefully told me all about how he's going to shove this enormous shark in this 55 gallon tank, when it's not even cycled or set up or anything, and.. dear god. I'm trying to talk him out of it with food pricing and telling him how much room this big bastard will need at adult weight but I don't know if he's going to listen.

How else can I convince this guy that this is a really incredibly bad idea?

E: Yes, it's a Heterodontidae japonicus for sure.

VVVVV Ffffucckkkk. :smith: I really hope he listens. I don't want this shark to suffer, either.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

streetlamp posted:

Where the hell does one even find a Japanese Bullhead Shark?

I can't even find anyone keeping these in a aquarium of any size. You have told him pretty much everything, the shark will die in little to no time. I'm sure like many sharks they are extremely sensitive and a uncycled aquarium that it barely fits in and run by this moron, it will perish quickly.

Petbox over here can get you drat near anything you want because we've got some really serious fish keepers on Okinawa and they try to keep them coming back. H.Japonicus requires at least 500 gallons for -bare minimum- and after that, you may as well start building your own holding tank. The guy is in an apartment and he wants to keep this bullhead and 'a few other fish' in that 55 gallon aquarium.

Thanks you guys. I hope he listens. If he doesn't, I'll be cutting contact.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Guy emails me and says he's going to listen to me. I say great! awesome! Go look at some gobies and firefish and poo poo like that. He says okay, he will.

Then emails my original reply to him with "Hey! Sorry I didn't get back to you! I want to put a japanese bullhead shark in my 55 gallon aquarium! Still want to help me?" kind of poo poo.

Because he thought I was a different person (same email and everything). I called him ten kinds of stupid and blocked him, because gently caress him, he's not going to listen to anything I say.

I feel sorry for that shark but there's not poo poo I can do except not get involved. :sigh:

E: And thanks for telling me there really isn't anything else I can do. It makes me feel better to know I did everything I could (which was basically just typed words on an email, but at least I tried)

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 11, 2011

• Locked thread