Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.
Lumpy rainbow monti?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

I thought you were gonna post something like my scooter blenny/dragonet does (Changes ghost white, sleeps in the sand with just the eyes showing) but nope, haha.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

I've always wanted an abalone for my tank, I will likely get one with the new setup.

I'll be posting a little journal of my new build. I'm trying to go all out now so I don't have to pick up anything in the future. Waiting on my AI SOLs and Apex in the mail, can't wait! Got the SOLs with custom fabricated fixtures that will attach to the back of the stand for only about $30 more each than a DIY kit with the same LEDs and free shipping to boot.

New tank is a 110 x-tall and a 40b sump. Did a lengthy search + buy for equipment through local reefers over the last 2-3 months. So far I've got a 6212 wavebox with the magnets added, MP40 dry-side, Vertex IN180, Sedra 12000 return and a (supposed pre-vertex, looks like an MRC) dual chamber calcium reactor with everything but a regulator. Also got an RO/DI (7! stage) with 3 sets of replacement filters... only $200 new from a water treatment company nearby. Got all of it so far for less than the 110 would have been brand new alone. I will soon live 5-mins from one of the top Canadian saltwater supply retailers so I will get all the replacement/missing pieces I need after I've got it all together.

I also joined bulkreefsupply and ordered a box of treats (forum group-buy). :)

Anyone else here from Canada? I'd love to trade frags sometime.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Debbie Upper posted:

Thanks for the peace of mind. The owner of the fish store told my husband that he had done that in his own tank as well and it cleared right up. We just did the usual water change and it's already starting to look better. There seem to be tons and tons of copepods swimming around now though, interestingly enough. Even see those tiny hydroid jellies popped up everywhere.

Really not much different than what happens to mine if you shut the return off for any length of time... and you were only pumping water FROM the tank originally so it'd likely be fine unless you had some massive decaying junk in there.

This weekend is my big move over for my 65 gallon into the new 110! Wish me luck!

Here are most of the goodies to go in the stand/tank minus the pile of sand and salt containers. I didn't get my Apex in time though so I'm gonna have to figure out what to do with my lights... don't want them blasting and my old T5 fixture isn't long enough:

MKLKT fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 11, 2012

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

nwin posted:

It's never been used and if you keep scrolling down he drops the price a shitload.

But he suddenly set it up? Seems like a weird choice.

Seems like a got a pretty darn good deal on my new system then, $100 for a 110 with stand, centre side drilled herbie and two drilled returns with loc-line already in it. Oh, and a whole bay of electrical sockets with a handy kill switch for emergencies. The only downside so far is the cabinet doors (painted plywood), but I can easily make new ones that are nicer.

Anyone else have a large tank? Feels like I'm the odd one out right now, haha.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Lusername posted:

That's gorgeous. As a coral newbie, what is it? It looks like a Dendronephthya but I haven't seen them with that 'foot' before.

It's a type of cucumber, not a coral.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+2663+2891&pcatid=2891

Just gotta be careful of toxins from their death/dismemberment, it can kill the rest of your livestock.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

When I set my tank up I put the sand in while it was empty, put a garbage bag over the sand layer, then pumped the water into the tank via a small rubbermaid container. It was almost perfectly clear, and this was with ~140lbs of new sand. There was a bunch of foamy junk from it that got skimmed out, but otherwise it worked really well.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Maroons are frequently complete assholes to each other, I'm not surprised that they're like that. At the LFS here there's generally only one in a tank when they have a bunch.

I guess I'm lucky in a way since I don't use RC... the Canadian forum I frequent is pretty chill and people are good about answering questions. There's the oddball sometimes but overall I think because it's smaller you get fewer problems.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

So it's been a while since I checked into the thread. I had a mini cycle going and wanted to wait it all out before I started adding anything. My alk also was pretty low and I've been bringing it back up the last few weeks and the coral went from receding to exploding in growth. I ramped up the intensity of my lights (AI SOLs) from 60 to 80% and some of my SPS are starting to get some crazy colours. Tank is still really plain though compared to my old one.

I've got a few red flatworms that survived from the old tank so I've got to see how I'm going to get rid of them as FW Exit didn't quite get everything after two different attempts. Clears up for a few weeks then they come back.

Recent additions after my self imposed wait period are:
Abalone (creeps the fiancee out, but I think it's awesome)
Sand sifting starfish
Red scooter blenny
Orange diamond sifting goby
Tiger pistol shrimp

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

I have a bag of carbon just chilling in my sump, swap it out once a month (if I remember *changes carbon for the first time in 2 months* )

It's really a combo of system volume, amount of GFO/Carbon and bioload. You would either test or go by 'feel' depending on when you start to see it lose effectiveness.

I'm suspecting I've got high Mg lately as my snails are getting really lethargic and I can't see any other obvious explanation. I don't do water changes usually, but I'll do a garbage can worth tomorrow, see if that helps.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

porksmash posted:

I put mine post-RO stage and post-DI stage so I can 1) Determine when to flush my RO membrane and 2) Determine when my DI resin is exhausting. You probably only need to check the incoming TDS to determine yep, it's poo poo, good thing I have a filter!

This is the best method, because really other than checking the incoming for curiosity's sake it's not like you can change that. Use it to extend the life of the membrane and keep the resins working their best.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

I've been dealing with the reddish Planaria flatworms the last little while and about a month ago my tank was looking a bit off. I checked recently and the flatworms went from plague to um, can't find any. I think there was a mass die off because they've disappeared and it would explain the rest of the tank not feeling so good.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

I have that probe holder and it's really, really snug. I wish that it had a larger diameter for each slot as one of the stock Neptune probes only slides through about halfway.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Soooo... I've got a hairline stress crack on the top plastic brace of my tank right where the centre brace meets the front. I'm not really sure what I want to do. I'm considering just getting a new tank (not as tall) with the same footprint and building a different cabinet and different plumbing based off of what did and didn't work with the current tank. It's a huge hassle but I can't have something sitting there that I don't trust 100%.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone else have experience with DC return pumps? I just picked up a Speedwave 1320 GPH model. It seems pretty good so far, has a feed timer option and you can scale it to 6 different speed settings. It's by no means silent but the sound is very different from AC pumps, it's not so much of a droning hum but a higher pitch. Doesn't carry as far and I could see it being way easier to silence.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yeah, whatever happened with the chemistry or whatever killed them for sure. The other one is looking alright.

My previous plague of Planaria flatworms had a random mass die-off and it made my tank look like poo poo for months. I just waited it out, did a few water changes and it's finally recovering well to the point I want to add stuff again. I also had a return pump that slowly clogged up which caused what I believe to be a lack of oxygen as the tank just looked 'off'. I ended up switching to a DC pump and selling the old AC, but the water flow made a huge difference as the surface tension was preventing gas exchange. Perhaps that's something also to look at since you can't really test?

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Went to the aquarium shop for the first time in months!

Picked up:
- Red brittle star
- Tuxedo urchin
- Peppermint shrimp
- Baby Foxface (~2" max)
- Metallic green plate coral

They were mostly to replace ones I used to own in my old tank and missed having them.

This is my first plate coral, it's way more inflated at home than it was at the store, it snagged the cleaner shrimp when I added it and I had to assist it from getting caught.

Silver conch, I love the proboscis and eyes, they always look silly.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

visuvius posted:

Keep an eye on that Foxface. One of those sumbitches wrecked shop on my 100 gallon reef back in the day. I was told they were reef safe so I added him but he went to town on various corals and really did quite a bit of damage.

Thanks, I had a mature one for over a year in my other tank so I'm aware of their personalities and corals that get nipped at. This one is definitely low on the pecking order at least for now, hasn't come out much yet.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Anhedonia posted:

My tank is against a wall so I can't see behind too well, but I really can't see him. If he had died he would be decaying somewhere and possibly being picked at, right? He wouldn't just dissolve completely? Is it a bad idea to take down all my LR and look or could that spike things too much?

You have to be super careful with acclimation for those types of animals, it really depends on exactly what it was and how big he is if it's going to have an affect.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

Was trying to frag a few pieces off the gigantic monti cap to bring to the LFS this weekend.

The first frag came off okay, it's about 5-6 inches long.
notice the dead part where it was shaded by another part of the cap.

Oops.

This is more of a colony than a frag, it probably weighs close to a pound.

Also, coral smells like poo poo. Will definitely wear gloves next time.

The absolute worst coral for smell that I've found is Anthelia, hooo-ly poo poo is it awful. The only way you can get rid of it is to flush it. Throw it in the trash triple bagged? gently caress that, garbage can smells like death. I double zip-locked it before and it still stank.

visuvius, I've got a 110h (48x18x29) I normally wouldn't have picked such a tall tank but I got the tank, stand and plumbing for $100. It's so tall that you have to be about 6' 3" to see over the top.

I use a Speedwave DC pump and was using an Eheim Compact 5000+ before that. I like the DC pump quite a bit, it's easier to dampen the sound I find and it's gotten quieter since I bought it. Has some cool features like a feed timer and adjustible speeds (without the sound, heat and life issues of an AC pump. For skimming I've got a Vertex 180, works well and the sound is reasonable, mine has stopped restarting on its own though, probably needs a cleaning (If you plug the intake for a split second it starts).

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Malalol posted:

Alright salty goons, let me know how much wrong I did. Guy came in DEMANDING a nemo and dory. Only two fish. Pointed to a 5.5g. "for now" In the end, he settled on a 15g and wouldnt go any higher. Because its just 2 tiny fish. Told em their full size and recommended tank sizes but they had a 250g tank at home for later. But as far as equipment goes I told him to pick up: api test kit, marine sand, prime, a magnum HOT for 55g (sold out of other canisters atm), thermometer, salt, food, 3 small pieces of live rock, decor. Test the water multiple times a week and pw/c as needed. Will those fish be okay? :ohdear: They do sound like they want to set up that large tank eventually but I dont know how well a hippo tang would be in a tank that size. Theyre only about ~2 inches.

With that amount of knowledge I'd say they're SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

Castaign posted:

On an unrelated note, how often do you all replenish or restock your clean up crew? For the past six months I've been wrestling with nitrates and hair algae, and I finally pinned it down to the fact that I've been running my 150 gallon with its original CUC for nearly three years. I just added in about fifty nassarius, fifty assorted astrea and cerinth, some sea cucumbers, a couple of fighting conchs (for those of you trying to find a solution for cyano I can't say enough good things about fighting conchs - they're the only animal I've ever had that actually seems to make a dent in the stuff), some emerald crabs and a handful of different hermits. The hair algae has cleared up by about 50% in three weeks, and nitrates are down from 10-15 ppm to about 5.

Is there some kind of general restocking schedule for CUC that should be adhered to?

Honestly I find that it's better to maintain the water quality differently than to band-aid with CUC after the fact. I have a 110 gallon and I've got:
1x cerith
3x strawberry tophat snails
10x astrea
5x (sorta like margarita snail, can't remember species now)
1x fighting conch
1x sand sifting star
5-10x small hermits (blue legs mostly)

If you have too many CUC and they starve out and die they will pollute the tank.

I've lost the odd snail/hermit over the last year but otherwise haven't changed it up much. Avoiding excess nutrients will go the furthest to clearing up hair algae. Cyano generally will balance out over time but it can be frustrating when present. I've done ~4 water changes in the last year of maybe 25% each tops, I try to just introduce as little excess as possible.

I just got back from my honeymoon in Maui and ironically the one fish to die back at home was one of my Hawaiian ones (Lavender Tang). :( I have no idea what could have happened, my parents didn't see any odd behavior and all the other animals are fine including much more sensitive species. I saw tons of awesome stuff while snorkeling including some big eels, sea turtle and a cuttlefish as highlights.

Feeling inspired from that I picked up a new plate coral, some new zoas (my previous ones are starting to take hold way more than I anticipated and have gone from 5ish polyps to 300+. Got a new Starry Blenny and a beautiful Powder Blue Tang.

• Locked thread