Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

arioch posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrOjKpSZ8PI

Figured you guys would get a kick out of this, if you haven't seen it already! Probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen in relation to this hobby.

(Hitler ranting, AEFW subtitles substituted in)

Thats pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

arioch posted:

"Blue lobsters" are pretty much crawdads.

There are a good number of saltwater lobsters in the trade, most of them aren't going to get above 6 or 9 inches or so and can do fine in the average saltwater tank. We're not talking about keeping Maine lobsters or the California spiny lobster, here. On the other hand, most of these "lobsters" pretty much look like crawdads.

They'll eat anything, dead fish, live fish, dead seahorses, live seahorses, pellet food, anything. Just make sure the food you are feeding are formulated for fresh or saltwater, because freshwater food is not very nutritious for saltwater creatures and vice versa, and can and does cause liver damage.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/arthropoda/lobsters/lobsters.htm

To be honest, there is no way in hell I would ever put one of those in my tank. They have big claws and are opportunists. You are just asking to lose a sleeping fish some day.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

So I bought all of the materials (20g high, 24" 2x T5 fixture with individual reflectors, powerhead, etc) for a planted tank about 2 months ago and its just been sitting on my desk. I've had multiple fresh and saltwater aquariums over the years, but am currently without any tanks up and running. I think I was just deluding myself into getting a FW tank because I didn't want to spend the money on a new reef setup.

I'm not a noob by any means, but I'm wondering if I should just start over. The 2x T5's are not going to be enough on a 20H and the 20H isn't that great a tank for a reef anyway. Sell my brand new stuff and go with a Mr. Aqua/Do Aqua cube and a PAR38 LED lamp or two? Simplicity is they key so I would probably go skimmerless, little to no sand and at most one small fish.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

arioch posted:

Large greens are pretty active predators as far as I know, you can probably kiss the shrimps and urchins goodbye (depending on the urchin).

My last tank was an 18" cube lit by a 250w DE Halide and I had a yellow brittle who I swear could probably have touched all four corners at once if it had wanted. I think it ate an orchid dottyback but man if that thing wasn't fun to feed.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Should add that I could probably sell the 2x bulb fixture for 80+ and just buy a four bulb. I think I would like to run the tank with heavy water changes doing the filtering, and a smaller tank would make that easier though.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Reef Central really is the Mecha for all things salt water and reef related.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

I have a Current SunPod 150w halide for sale with a phoenix 14k. $100 + shipping for goons.

Also, if you're gunna get a 37 gallon for $99 just wait until Petco has the $1/gallon sale. Got my 40br for 40bux.

Can't beat that.

Thats tempting but I will probably never do another MH reef tank unless its a huge tank and I need 400w MH's. Cheap initial cost but holy gently caress, I remember doing a nor cal summer with that 250w MH over my 18" cube and God drat. Even with the AC blasting my room was a furnace - I had to adjust my photo period from 11am to 11pm (which I had set up because I liked evening viewing) to 8am to 8pm or my room would never cool down.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Between LED's, which are getting more efficient and cheaper with each passing year, and fantastically reliable/cheap T5's, MH are just never the answer now.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

I really like the color that 14k phoenix gives off, my LEDs don't even compare, even with a "14k" mix.

Well, theoretically you should be able to use some combination of blue and white LED's to get pretty much that exact color.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

As loathe as I am to admit this, I got into a fight on another forum about the responsibilities of aquarium keepers when it comes to certain animals, like the Moorish Idol and the blue-ringed octopus. Most of the posters on this site were in a fervor that someone could tell them No to any animal they want; in their minds if they can take care of it, then no one should be able to ban the animal period.

I don't know if any marine fish or inverts that aren't on the CITES list are banned (and nor did I ask the posters there their opinion on CITES) but overall, as ethical aquarists, are there some marine animals that do not belong in captivity but find their way there from time to time? I don't mean poo poo like the great white shark, but more common animals, like the blue-ring, the cleaner goby, etc.

I think it is quite logical and reasonable to have restrictions on marine fish/inverts, even those not on the CITES list. Frankly, a number of fish could do with some kind of import quotas or something, if only so they would drive price up and put them beyond the reach of inexperienced hobbyists. Moorish Idols being 60-80 bucks isn't doing anyone any favors. However, that could be difficult to implement effectively.

It would be great to have 'smart' regulations that are met with logical analysis of fish populations, suitability in captivity and transportation. Additionally, if it was done right, it could be the impetus for more investment in suddenly profitable captive breeding research and programs.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

drat, a gallon a day? That seems like a lot. I thought just over 10% a week was a lot haha.

Using big water changes in a small tank in place of skimmers is awesome though.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

The Spookmaster posted:

So on a whim I walked into the local fishstore today after my dentist appointment and walked for like 30 minutes back and forth staring at coral. had no idea you could grow it at home and now I want to spend silly amounts of money to make a section of my apartment look like a reef. How should I get started? Any websites I should read top to bottom especially?

I have really good news - you can have a reef tank without breaking the bank! Heck, there are people successfully run reef tanks with almost zero equipment.

I think Reef Central is still the undisputed best reef site out there, although some people do not like their moderation policies.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Anony Mouse posted:

In other news, I have an embarrassing confession to make. I recently changed the filters on my RO/DI and I realized something terrible... somehow I had my fresh/waste water lines mixed up. For six months. I must have been completely spaced out when I set up my system. I've been putting waste RO/DI water into my tank for six months. The fact that nothing in my tank seems to give a poo poo speaks either to their resilience, or TDS levels not being nearly as important as people make them out to be. :shrug:
I think the issue is that TDS can be a lot of things depending on your local water supply. I mean, obviously TDS in general are not a problem. The ocean has plenty of that. If the rest of your system is pretty stable and other needs are being met, a lot of the creatures in your tank will adapt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I'm actually considering putting a small reef tank (like under 10g) in my high school classroom. That is a big one though!

• Locked thread