Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

After a recent spell of forum updates I found myself intrigued by a certain enigmatic character. He's the dismissive little fellow that tells you when things are broken or generally lovely here on the forums, and I don't think he gets enough credit. That's right: I'm talking about the SA Support Robot.

Just where the gently caress does he get off? He must have a reason for being so aloof, right? Maybe he did some cool stuff before Lowtax gave him a job, and maybe he still does some stuff on the side for smack money and whores. Maybe all of these awesome life experiences shaped him into the cocky little brute we know today. Who's to say?

So after some research, I found out that he was in the film industry for a while back in the day:

Click here for large clipped-out robot against white background

So he apparently like the ladies, even when they're dressed in a two-piece leather space poncho. Awesomeness.

After my interest was piqued by this photo I spent some time doing more extensive research, and was able to dig up a couple more evidence photos. There has to be way more stuff in this fine robot's past, present, and future. That's where you come in: Let's investigate and explore the life of the forums Support Robot.

Here are the requisite lovely starter images:

Which came first, the stovepipe or the corresponding hat? Our little fashion trendsetter with some tall guy and a redneck:

It even seems that he may be largely responsible for the destruction of Caprica, as well as a whole new generation of TV geekery:

(bigger here)

And lastly, he creeped the hell out of thousands of children in the late 80's with this airbrushed Coney-Island-boardwalk-t-shirt-lookin' poo poo:

So there we go. I'm glad the forums work again, but I'm gonna miss my new friend. Proclaim his awesome unknown life with your pixels!

See here? I already did the hard part for you. --Big clipped robot w/ a rebuilt right hand, all up in that rear end one more time--

My apologies if this has been done before (I should've made friends with the Search Robot first).

fake edit-->No, I have no idea what the name of the movie from the original pic is.
fake edit deux-->If The Robot doesn't have a name already, we should give him one.

-UPDATE: A motion has been proposed to name the robot "Donny" in honor of Steve Buscemi's character in "The Big Lebowski" (see page 3; thanks ApeAgitator). This is due to the fact that the robot just wanders into the middle of a conversation, states his point, and derails everything. He doesn't care about the little bullshit we have going on yet he still hangs around for some reason. Please state your opinions. We have a chance to establish canon here, people.

-UPDATE UPDATE: Debate/general floor votes are now being taken for the robot's being named Donny. Make yourselves heard; democracy is a participatory sport.

-WE GOT IT. After much thought and consternation, the general consensus is that the SA Support Robot will be named Donny due to the aforementioned reasons and posts. Donny is now our own, and I hope you'll continue to help us welcome him to his new family. Keep it up!

-DONNY'S BIRTHRIGHT: Donny is now canonized in SAclopedia under "Donny (the Support Robot)" and "Support Robot (Donny)". Please add anything to the wiki that may have been left out.

-WASTE OF MONEY: I have a shiny new custom title/avatar. I specified that the money must go straight to Donny. I hope Lowtax doesn't mind.

-SHUTTIN' DONNY DOWN: Well, we had a week to help our new buddy Donny find a lifestory. I'm ending this while it's still good. It sucks knowing my next PShop thread won't go over like this one has. Thanks SA!

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Verviticus posted:

All of the images are very good.

Well, I had a couple hours to kill while "getting to know the robot"...
Hopefully some folks will be interested. I thought it was a fun idea.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 6, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Wow. I go to sleep, I wake up and go to work, and I check SA and find a little golden nugget of a thread! Sweet. All this work is hilarious and awesome to a degree I didn't expect; keep it up and we could all be a PShop Phriday, boys. You can't buy fame like that.

Have we thought of any names yet? It seems we have a chance to set canon here. I was thinking of something along the lines of Jemaine, or perhaps just a loud, monotone computer noise like -BEEDEE BEEDEE BEEDEE-.

Thanks for the excellent work, and keep it coming!

fake edit-->loving splendid Iron Man .gifs. I literally inhaled coffee and giggled like a girl.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Fake Green Dress posted:

The look on the guard's face is perfect; doubly so since he's holding a metal detector wand. He can just sense that this will have to go all the way to a cavity search.

eightcell posted:

I have made this PSD to make it easier on people who would like to participate (its not perfect but...):

http://www.cubeecraft.com/TEMP/SA_bot.psd

Way to chip in, thanks! I get lazy sometimes.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

looking.glass.eyes posted:

You know, I almost didn't and now I'm glad I took the extra 5 minutes since someone noticed. :)

It's the little things that count, duder. If you're going to do something do it right.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Good idea. Dibs.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Grundulum posted:

This is wonderful. You all have great ideas and incredible ability.

Fake edit:
Please, oh please, with sugar on top. Somebody do this one.

NO ROBOT NO OH GOD

SOMEONE HELP HER OH NO ROBOT
WHY DID SOMEONE HAVE TO ASK FOR THIS PICTURE
HER BLOOD IS ON YOUR HANDS

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 6, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Hopper posted:

/\ /\ /\ This pic is from that time when he got confused as to where is loyalties lie in the battle at canary wharf...
HAHAHAHA
It looks like he's the one "special" cyberman who was hired because there was a union requirement. They make him sweep up after every laser battle, but at least they give him some ice cream while he waits for the bus.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

/\ /\ /\ Check out the upper right quarter of the picture. You gotta squint.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

wait.
that way?

aw poo poo

It's okay, they'll both get together eventually. I also like how frightened Tincock looks as he's being molested by the sailor. He's just trying to find his happy place until the sailor finishes.

To contribute:

LUMBERING UNSTOPPABLY AND RELENTLESSLY TOWARDS CHANGE.

Totally missing the point of the thread, but still. It's okay because it's a robot and I'm at work.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

/\ /\ /\ HAHAHAHA

I officially file a motion for the Support Robot's name to be "Donny" from this day forward. He shows up in the middle of an otherwise good conversation, and just interrupts without context. Do I have a second before we put it to a vote?

Hellequin posted:

This is the greatest photoshop thread in the past year, OP you friggin rock!
Everybody else is doing all the hard work, but I appreciate your enthusiastic hyperbole. You too are loved!

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 6, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Silas the Mariner posted:

I second the motion.
Mr. Mariner has seconded. Let us bring it to the floor. Anyone who wishes to express an opinion for or against naming the robot Donny for the aforementioned reasons, please feel free to do so. Make some arguments both pro and con; I'll give it a while.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Brand New Dance posted:

I support the name Donny but only if a wife is spawned for him named Dot.

Dot, GBS. GBS, Dot.
(Caution: NSFR)

I never thought I would have to clean .jpg artifacts off of the vagina of a B-movie robot.

(Before you ask: "Not Drinking Water".)

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 6, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I've just updated the first page with the news that yes, indeed, it seems that the SA Support Robot should henceforth be named Donny (see page 3). It seems to me that, in order to welcome him home proper-like, he needs a blurb on the SAclopedia. Anyone want to write the first one? I'd do it but as the OP it seems a bit self-serving.

Ape Agitator did provide the inspiration, though...where's he at?

\/ \/ \/ --> That is an outstanding idea. SAF(t) Punk!

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 7, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Fickle Fascination posted:

Prime directives:
1. Serve the public trust
2. Protect the innocent
3. Fix the loving search

You, sir, are one funny son of a bitch. Post + image = :iia:.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Aww, poor little Donny. He can't move for poo poo.
(I love the lady in front of him. She's apparently being robbed at knifepoint by a man just out of frame.)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Teim posted:

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear some.

Umm...keep doing things like this. It's cool. That is my first thought.

Oh, and Edit-->Transform-->Distort would be handy for changing the perspective on the head. It's like the Free Transform tool, except you can move corner anchor points independently from one another instead of just resizing a rectangular marquee that contains your object. It's super handy.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 7, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

PixieRocker67 posted:

What is this picture from?
Donnie Darko.

-->gently caress. Beaten.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

/\ /\ /\ --> HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Donny's Mexican now.

Ladies and Gentlemen:
Donny has now been immortalized within the tomes of the SAclopedia. From here on out, the Support Robot shall be known as Donny, complete with historical documentation.

See "Donny (the Support Robot)" or "Support Robot (Donny)" for the lowdown on our little friend, and feel free to add to the wiki if I forgot anything important about our little explorations here.

To everybody who's posted so far:
Fuckin' A, folks. I thought for sure this thread would go nowhere, and now little Donny's canonized. You guys are awesome and this is a lot of fun. Keep it up and we'll have a PShop Phriday under our belts. That's the kind of thing the ladies love, my friends, so prepare your ponchos for the downpour of poontang.

Sweet.
-HoboZero

fake edit--> Gruvmeister, I'm seriously thinking about doin' a little magic with that avatar and puttin' it in my pocket. Your call. Let me know.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

PixieRocker67 posted:

Send me an e-mail or sms so we don't get banned for non topic posting.
gently caress that. Let it out here. Come on, let's have a reunion to watch! Seriously! I'll vouch as OP.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

"LV-426 is down for temporary scheduled infestation. We already know about this problem so don't set off a distress beacon, because nobody cares. The colonists should have weird-looking poo poo jumping out of their chests shortly. In the meantime, why don't you read the xenomorph contact procedural manuals again?"

Sincerely,
Weyland-Yutani Forums Team

After seeing this on the site, the color matching bugs me. Especially on the arm. Stupid Photoshop, lookin' all acceptable while I'm workin'...:iiam:

SuperSlacker posted:

No other bots shall be around to dethrone the support bot! :argh:
I didn't get this or your image until I read the image title in the properties, and then I felt stupid for not immediately recognizing it. I am retarded and you have shown me the error of my ways.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 7, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

/\ /\ /\ We were just commenting on each others' images in different threads at the exact same time. Weird.

\/ \/ \/ Awwww... That image always kind of bummed me out even before it featured an indifferent robot.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 7, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Battle Bott posted:

Awww, isn't that cute?

Wow, dude. Holy poo poo. Way to make us all look like simpering half-assed chumps. That is fantastic! Could you post a link to a larger one? I'd love a higher res image.

And, once again, holy Jesus. Seconding the 'what did you do this with' question.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Battle Bott posted:

(love the avatar)

I rendered and modeled it in 3ds max, the shadows are "advanced lighting" using a skylight. If you have max, look up clay rendering. It makes EVERYTHING look better, at the cost of taking forever.

To tell you guys the truth, I sort of cheated with the cubes, I just ripped them from the game. I'll start rendering a huge version, it will take a while.

1600x1200 good?

That would be sweet, 'cause I'm needin' a new desktop. Thanks for the follow-up.

I'm also seconding the 'what is the Juggalo fetus funeral from' question. Good call, horseblow.

looking.glass.eyes posted:

Something is looking off though, so any advice is welcome.
I've always found that in my repertoire of go-to Photoshop tools, the following are both easy to use and super frequently needed:
1.)Image->adjustments->curves (or brightness/contrast, if you're feeling lazy): This helps with adjusting the overall contrast of a layer, especially bringing out the darker areas and defining edges more sharply (like in Donny's shirt; it looks a bit grey, but bump up the contrast and it'll match the main juggalo's hoodie).
2.)Filters->sharpen->unsharp mask helps with general tweaking of internal and external edges, especially when something needs to be adjusted to give the appearance of depth-of-field placement.
3.)Filters->blur->gaussian blur. A nice general blur tool, and simple because it's only two sliders (pixel range and tolerance levels) and it's previewable in real time. Helps soften edges and blend small components nicely.

Hope those help, if you didn't already know about them. Cheers!

I was actually thinking about this the other day: Has anybody ever done a general Photoshop advice/tutorial thread in GBS or A/T before? I think lots of goons have questions about the little things, and an equal number of goons have advice they're just waiting to unleash on the world. Also it would lead to a greater number of quality PShop threads, which is always a good thing. Let me know.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 8, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Battle Bott posted:

Big version.

That is severely cool of you. Your brilliance now resides on my desktop. Thanks for pitching in, hombre!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Go Team Venture! posted:

Hey Hobo, I loving love that avatar. Do you mind if I use it in a place that pretty much no one from SA goes, and the only folks that will see/appreciate it will be my other nerdy friends who like The Big Lebowski? (Weewar)

By the way, if you say no, I won't use it, though most folks on the internet probably would. I promise. :)
Do what you gotta do, brother.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

scorpiobean posted:

Guys, I think I know what's been happening lately...

Anyone seen Frags lately? :(
He got dysentery, and Donny is forcing fluids and applying liniments.
Maybe I'm out of the loop here, but what's been 'happening lately'? Or is this an accidental response to another thread? I feel dumb all of a sudden.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 9, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

scorpiobean posted:

Also this is my first time using GIMP or any other kind of photo editing thing. I'll get better I promise.
S'awright. It's not the image's fault, I'm just a dumbass and didn't get it. My bad. Also, seconding the love for the Lascaux cave thing.

Oh, and just in case anybody wants to fly in the face of logic and give a poo poo, I'll be shutting this thread down on Thursday at, say, a minute or two before it turns Friday (US central/mountain). I figure that the ultimate goal of any PShop thread is to make it into the hallowed halls of Photoshop Phriday and so that seems like an appropriate cutoff given the feedback so far.

Keep 'em coming while you can, folks, and we just might be famous. I can't believe this dumb thread has brought so much awesome skill to light! You guys loving ROCK.

edit--> No Warhammer 40k poo poo yet? drat.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 9, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

/\ /\ /\-Dammit, I was thinking of doing this but couldn't find any source imagery that was worth a poo poo.
"SOMEONE LEFT A BABY. ANYONE? BABY HERE."

Battle Bott posted:

Hahahahaa! Awesome.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 9, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

IŽll gladly do some of that once I have some more time again. Which is to say tomorrow.
I'm right there with you. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BooDoug187 posted:

I just laughed so loud that I woke my wife up. I showed her your image as an explanation, and she was not amused in the least. I apologize for the fact that this pic only has a 50% approval rating among all those polled within my apartment.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

drat you, 1mb limit. Again. :doom:

Hey, no love for my awesome Donny? :(
You are a fantastic human being and this is awesome. Watch out for the stikka bomb, Donny,WATCH OUT FOR THE loving STIKKA BOOOOOOOMMMMMB

Sadly, I know it ends poorly for our little friend. On the bright side, though, his arm is longer than the dreadnought's and so it looks like he's fatally fisting that Ork. More Dakka indeed.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Tabachinova posted:

Donny speaks spanish?
He was originally manufactered as a protocol droid, fluent in over 6 million forms of communication. (see page 2, if memory serves.)

edit--> /\ /\ /\ -Nerdiest 'gently caress, beaten' EVER. Same time sig and everything. I feel like a part of some grand cosmic scheme.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 10, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

You are my favorite person. That is stellar and the looping isn't really even noticeable unless you squint and look for it. Goddamn, Battle Bott. You're hardcore.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Blobone posted:

Careful, Indy. The natives guarded Donny well.

I wouldn't sweat it, brother Blobone. He's done this once before.

Doedipus posted:

(from p.3)

Although, that is a very distant F/B. I suppose diversity is important.

ephex posted:

he also was the grandfather of fellow goon ADHDan!!!

Hahaha! This is awesome, and I love all of the crosspost ones! It's like being in on a very specific, complex inside joke without actually having to...you know... go outside. All the better.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Bedevere posted:

an soemone do a Donny/HK-47 crossover?

Seriously, eviscerate some meatbags!

Holy poo poo, dibsdibsdibs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Well folks, I guess that's about enough of that. I can't begin to thank everyone enough for creating such stellar images; this was an awesome thread! I'll close it down now so it doesn't fade away into a seldom-updated amalgam of low-effort crap and lackluster trolling. I feel that you've all brought us to a high note at which it's best to end on. I can only hope that the next PShop thread turns out nearly as well as this one.

Bravo!