Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Title: Shine A Light

imdb - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0893382/

Directed by: Martin Scorsese

Starring: The Rolling Stones (Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood, Charlie Watts), Martin Scorsese, Jack White, Christina Aguilerra, Buddy Guy

Plot Synopsis: The Rolling Stones play an intimate setting, (4,000 seat Beacon Theatre, New York) for two nights, and Scorsese runs 19 cameras and a bajillion watts of lighting to capture one of their better live performances. Intertwined with the live footage are interviews from the past, going back to the 60's, getting their opinion of the band's future, inspiration, their legal woes.

With most of the live Rolling Stones movies, (well, since the 80s at least), the films are shot with very little direction and the sound is good enough but not amazing. This is one of the first times where the camera shots were amazing, the sound mix was fantastic. The audio would boost temporarily for whichever person they were focused on - so when you got a shot of Keith, you'd hear his guitar a little clearer, almost the way you might experience it if you were on the third row.

Keith and the boys must be on some amazing vitamins to put out this much energy at this late in the game. With every new Stones concert movie, I expect to see the years wearing them down. This movie either hides it well or the band are indeed still kicking rear end.

They left out some amazing classics, but with a catalog spanning almost half a century, it's hard to imagine a film with every hit. The guests were good - the biggest surprise was Christina Aguilerra, who's voice was very live and energetic and a refreshing break from most of the cutie shitpop gals out there.

Watching the band was great. The cameras focus on every person on the stage - it's not a highlight of just the 4 remaining members of the band - they focus on the backup singers, the horns, the keys, the crew, they even track Martin in the setup of the movie, trying to figure out what the hell he's going to be doing.

I would give it 5 stars, but I'm highly biased towards the stones. And there were some lulls where I thought maybe it was either running on too long or maybe that particular song just wasn't as energetic as everything else. So I'll give it a 4, with an asterisk saying I love the stones more than any band on the planet, so it's a 5 to me, but, if you aren't crazy about the Stones, okay, maybe it's not a 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU