Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

So my roommate went to china and left a bag of ground deer meat in the freezer...

so my question is, what is something good to make out of it. I tried to make some venison burgers, but they were amazingly disgusting.

ideas
go

qwertytrewq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

disgusting how? what was wrong with them?

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

Venison burger usually taste a lot better if there is some beef fat mixed in with the deer meat. Deer meat is just too lean to eat like that, and deer fat is gross.

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

Superhaus posted:

Venison burger usually taste a lot better if there is some beef fat mixed in with the deer meat. Deer meat is just too lean to eat like that, and deer fat is gross.

hmm, beef fat? well, lets for the sake of argument say i had no money to buy anything else, what could you do with straight up (ground) deer meat?

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

ex.hav0k posted:

hmm, beef fat? well, lets for the sake of argument say i had no money to buy anything else, what could you do with straight up (ground) deer meat?

Brown it and eat it....seriously, NOTHING else? Throw us some bones here; we can't make something out of nothing.

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me

Feed it to a deer and confirm your ticket to hell?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

Sometimes I get a
bad case of "stupid"

ex.hav0k posted:

What the hell?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

It's a formal title.

this thread has promise!

are you saying that you have no other ingredients whatsoever?

tycho_atreides
Oct 25, 2006

Here be dargonz

Hmmm, ONLY ground venison? not sure what you could do with that.

But you could use it to make some interesting things if you had other stuff. Like a venison bolgnese on pasta. Or a venison meatloaf. Or venison sausages. The thing is, as others have said, ground venison by itself is so lean, it'll end up dry unless you add some kind of other fat into the mix, like fatback, bacon, salt pork, etc.

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

i just meant i couldn't buy any beef... but i do have bacon! i didn't think of that. i mean, i have flour, bacon, sugar, some seasonings (salt pepper cayanne basil garlic etc) so i was looking for something to make with basic things i may already have.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Mix in a bunch of bacon and sugar, shape it like the twin towers and then grill it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

Sometimes I get a
bad case of "stupid"

Tie it to your bike and ride around the neighborhood for meat tenderizer. Then pee on it.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

make a venison pate

Locutus of Burg
Aug 1, 2003

o<:O

For the sake of argument let's say I have no arms and legs. I've been blind since second grade and I'm legally deaf. I have poor motor control and my cognitive abilities are just about non existent. I have no edible ingredients and live in a well in the garden.

What should I make for breakfast?

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

7744 posted:

Mix in a bunch of bacon and sugar, shape it like the twin towers and then grill it.

so what i think i may do is, cook up like 6 things of bacon, but im going to cut them up into bacon bits when i fry them up. then im going to take those fried bacon bits, mix them in with the venison, add half a cup of sugar and spread it out like a big patty in my cast iron skillet. then im going to chop up a green pepper and put it on top of it and cover the whole thing with cream cheese. i was considering mixing the cream cheese with cayenne pepper and texas pete to give it a little kick. so my only real question is, how long should i cook this delicious pie for? and at what temperature...

20minutes at 350? ( i really am clueless when it comes to cooking things and how long)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I would never shop at Costco. The paper towels won't fit into my sports car!

ex.hav0k posted:

so what i think i may do is, cook up like 6 things of bacon, but im going to cut them up into bacon bits when i fry them up. then im going to take those fried bacon bits, mix them in with the venison, add half a cup of sugar and spread it out like a big patty in my cast iron skillet. then im going to chop up a green pepper and put it on top of it and cover the whole thing with cream cheese. i was considering mixing the cream cheese with cayenne pepper and texas pete to give it a little kick. so my only real question is, how long should i cook this delicious pie for? and at what temperature...

20minutes at 350? ( i really am clueless when it comes to cooking things and how long)

20 minutes won't be enough to caramelize it all the way through. I suggest 60 minutes at 500. If you get flames, remember that's okay since that's what all the fancy chefs use to make things taste better. DO NOT PUT OUT THE FLAMES BECAUSE THEY ARE FULL OF FLAVOUR.

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

20 minutes won't be enough to caramelize it all the way through. I suggest 60 minutes at 500. If you get flames, remember that's okay since that's what all the fancy chefs use to make things taste better. DO NOT PUT OUT THE FLAMES BECAUSE THEY ARE FULL OF FLAVOUR.

my oven goes from 400 to broil... so should i just go for the broil? or will i have to cook it longer too?

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

Oh see you didn't mention you had green pepper.

Fry up the bacon. Remove bacon, reserve fat.

Throw in sugar and chopped green pepper, cook until caramelized.

Add venison. Broil.

Crumble bacon into cream cheese, heat until soft. Pour over cooked venison. AWESOME.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

It's a formal title.

ex.hav0k posted:

my oven goes from 400 to broil... so should i just go for the broil? or will i have to cook it longer too?

Honestly in order to cook it properly you're going to need a new oven.

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

so is this still kind of like my meat pie i suggested? or are you talking about mixing the green peppers in with the venison/baconfat? i also like the bacon and cream cheese idea.

the venison is thawing out now, so i've got to have a solid idea of what to do with it in the next few hours.

but this is good, very good. i mean, i can't screw up venison... it already tastes horrid as it is.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

Sometimes I get a
bad case of "stupid"

DEEP FRY THAT BITCH! Use the cream cheese as a filler and make deer rangoons.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

ex.hav0k posted:

so is this still kind of like my meat pie i suggested? or are you talking about mixing the green peppers in with the venison/baconfat? i also like the bacon and cream cheese idea.

the venison is thawing out now, so i've got to have a solid idea of what to do with it in the next few hours.

but this is good, very good. i mean, i can't screw up venison... it already tastes horrid as it is.

You want to caramelize the peppers with the sugar IN the bacon fat, then cook the venison in the bacon fat too. Don't waste a drop of the bacon fat.

Bnot
Oct 29, 2005

Locutus of Burg posted:

For the sake of argument let's say I have no arms and legs. I've been blind since second grade and I'm legally deaf. I have poor motor control and my cognitive abilities are just about non existent. I have no edible ingredients and live in a well in the garden.

What should I make for breakfast?

Water!

Bnot
Oct 29, 2005

ex.hav0k posted:

I take no resposiblity for this mans demise.

Take some cream cheese in a pan, heat it to 800C (be sure to check the temp with your finger). Make a giant deer ball (frozen is better) then drop it in the hot cheese. I would call it "Cheesy Deer Balls".

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

Bnot posted:

I take no resposiblity for this mans demise.

Take some cream cheese in a pan, heat it to 800C (be sure to check the temp with your finger). Make a giant deer ball (frozen is better) then drop it in the hot cheese. I would call it "Cheesy Deer Balls".

your idea isn't practical or funny... please stay out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

I have an idea that's impractical but somewhat funny. Can I come in?

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

Demagogue posted:

I have an idea that's impractical but somewhat funny. Can I come in?

somewhat works

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

The moment has passed.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Demagogue posted:

The moment has passed.

The moment never passes when you have venison unitl you pass the venison at which point the moment is way past for passing on it.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The moment never passes when you have venison unitl you pass the venison at which point the moment is way past for passing on it.

That's like....meta.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

It's a formal title.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Mr. Wiggles could you only talk in koans from now on because that's when I like you best.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Venison chili is delicious; I'll bet it would also work well in a nice slow cooked stew.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Lord of Space posted:

Mr. Wiggles could you only talk in koans from now on because that's when I like you best.

Unask the question.

Would you like some venison?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Unask the question.

Would you like some venison?

no don't take it it's a trick

everyone knows venison tastes HORRIBLE

The Fear
Dec 10, 2003

Penison.

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

anyways, im carmalin the green pepper now... this thing is go!

DiscoKid
May 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl

WAIT STOP!!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ex.hav0k posted:

carmalin

New, from the makers of Advil and Pedialyte.

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

ok, well i put it in the oven... but now im just thinking about how gross it's going to be.... i put those carmalized peppers on top of the huge venison patty i made, and then put some of the cream cheese sauce on top of it... and stuck it in the oven at some temperature.... i guess ill check on it in a minute...

this isn't going to turn out well

giacomo fucked around with this message at Jun 7, 2008 around 00:47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Let me tell you a little story about HURF and DURF

ex.hav0k posted:

ok, well i put it in the oven... but now im just thinking about how gross it's going to be.... i put those carmalized peppers on top of the huge venison patty i made, and then put some of the cream cheese sauce on top of it... and stuck it in the oven at some temperature.... i guess ill check on it in a minute...
this isn't going to turn out well
I think this is going to turn out wonderfully.

Be sure to cook it until the inside reaches some temperature.

«2 »