Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Yup, you guys are right. It's rendering a new version now. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 16, 2017

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Hahaha holy poo poo, you're from Perth and worked at FTI too. I'm there doing Excalibur's next landcorp thingo. gently caress, small world. I'm about to move to the states to do a masters in VFX @ SCAD. It's gonna be fun.

There's some nice stuff in that reel, but you gotta cut it back bigtime.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 16, 2017

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Yeah Perth is poo poo for 3d training, unless you want to simply learn the very basics. There is basically no post industry either, which is something I want to have a go at for a bit. So to pack up and leave seems to be the best bet. You can however make good money doing the corporate animation stuff, but it's hardly stimulating work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp, back to sculpting. Still a little soft and lumpy in places, but coming along nicely.

edit: The neck and ears are terrible now that I look at them.
edit2: and fixed

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 6, 2008

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
Anyone using RenderMan? What's the opinion on it these days, is it still the thing to know in serious rendering business?

I finally took some time to experiment a little with the shading language and here's what I got so far - it's supposed to look like wet asphalt or something (the sphere is there just for testing):

The whole thing is procedurally calculated and formed by displacement, except for the HDR environment it's reflecting. It's about 150 lines of RSL, applied on a flat plane and a sphere. I find this way of working and thinking pretty fascinating, and the reyes algorithm has some very interesting and unusual features.

Also on the linear workflow, in general... holy crap, so that's why even a simple teapot in the cloudy, dull uffizi.hdr environment looks glaringly bright on the top and almost completely black in the bottom. I always thought that the excessive contrasts had to do with some subtle tone mapping issues with computer screens, but turns out it's caused by something as relatively trivial as incorrect gamma handling. I guess some people have workflows that unintentionally work around most problems, but generally that sounds like something that definitely introduces a sense of unrealism in images, especially with GI. I wish someone had told me about this years ago.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm trying to start a new bust, but these holes appeared and I just can't get rid of them no matter what I try. Does anyone know what I can do?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Increase the radius of your smoothing brush? Mask everything else and use the smooth deformer? Drop your resolution back down and delete the higher subdivisions?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SynthOrange posted:

Increase the radius of your smoothing brush? Mask everything else and use the smooth deformer? Drop your resolution back down and delete the higher subdivisions?

Already tried all of those, they're still there after

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Let's see the frames then.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

sinc posted:

Anyone using RenderMan? What's the opinion on it these days, is it still the thing to know in serious rendering business?

I finally took some time to experiment a little with the shading language and here's what I got so far - it's supposed to look like wet asphalt or something (the sphere is there just for testing):

The whole thing is procedurally calculated and formed by displacement, except for the HDR environment it's reflecting. It's about 150 lines of RSL, applied on a flat plane and a sphere. I find this way of working and thinking pretty fascinating, and the reyes algorithm has some very interesting and unusual features.

That's loving awesome. One of my first classes at SCAD is making procedural renderman stuff and integrating it with maya, I can't wait! What render time are those clocking and on what?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

change my name posted:

Would have been better if the frames were taken at the lowest subdivision, but even now there's still a lot of wierd joins and edges going on. How're you constructing this?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SynthOrange posted:

Would have been better if the frames were taken at the lowest subdivision, but even now there's still a lot of wierd joins and edges going on. How're you constructing this?

It started out with a zsphere base, but I used the unified skin instead of the adaptive and went from there, which might explain the odd edges but not the holes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're part of the same problem though. Adaptive skins give cleaner base meshes.

You might want to go through a few basic tutorials on using zspheres for base meshes.

Here's one

A whole heap of them, just pick out the sculpting and zsphere ones.

And videos. http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 7, 2008

sinc
Jul 6, 2008

Heintje posted:

That's loving awesome. One of my first classes at SCAD is making procedural renderman stuff and integrating it with maya, I can't wait! What render time are those clocking and on what?

Thanks. :) The rendering time is about three minutes at 1280x800 (edit: on Dual Core T7700), so that crop would be maybe 1 min. Which feels kind of fast after having played with unbiased renderers for a while. Currently it's just a fed directly to prman executable as RIB but it shouldn't be too difficult to plug it into some actual modeling program.

sinc fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 7, 2008

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

sinc posted:

I get more of a muddy tidal pool vibe off it rather than asphalt. But then again, it's been proven in the past that I have no artistic talent or knowledge, so take that as you will.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Welp, back to sculpting. Still a little soft and lumpy in places, but coming along nicely.

edit: The neck and ears are terrible now that I look at them.
edit2: and fixed

There's someone about his face that's getting to me. I think its a little flat. Looking nice though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/ice/default.aspx

XSI7 loving ROCKS

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

True. I should bring in the forward planes a bit. There's also the problem that I use a mirror for quick reference when I cant remember offhand what a particular feature should look like.

This only works if I'm sculpting an asian though. Ooops.

(drat the shoulders are really making him look wierd. Gotta fix that.)

And drat, I was going to say that FumeFX does better smoke and flames, but the other stuff in XSI looks really sexy.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 7, 2008

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ha finally got that camera projection problem fixed. Left it alone over the holiday...came back to it and just stared at the projection camera and said "what if I make the horizontal and vertical aperture match the res of the image?" The world matte is 3900X3000 (don't ask me why) so I just made the aperture 3.9X3 and voila! Works like a charm.
:downsrim:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

concerned mom posted:

There's someone about his face that's getting to me. I think its a little flat. Looking nice though.

I think the corners of the eyes are too far back at the outside. If you look at a person's face, the inside and outside corners of the eye are nearly on the same XY plane.

olblue
Nov 9, 2003

...lets go exploring!
Fallen Rib
Any chance of having my video tutorials site added to the resource list? 3d-palace.com

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like the rest of the entries for the latest CGChallenge are up and I'm really blown away by them. I'm definitely going to be playing through those 'making of' videos frame by frame.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Finally got some time to start working on some environments our dealers can drop playgrounds into. This one's going to to be used for some standard units we supply to Burger King. I started using gamma 2.2, and I think it's working out pretty well, though I've got some work to do on materials today, darken them down a bit.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
Still working on my scene - gave up on the background for now until I decide just how I want things laid out, and began trying my hand at texturing - this is the first texturing I've done and it's taking some getting used to, not only the uv unwrapping but the fact that working on 2048*2048 images in Photoshop brings my old rig to its knees.

Scale is still hosed slightly, and a lot of stuff needs fixing/tweaking, but it's something to show, I guess. Crits welcome as always.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

This is a new exhibit rendering that I put together for work. It's going out in the aquarium. I made them buy Lightwave when I was ordering all of the equipment and so I feel obligated to use it every once in awhile.

The reflections aren't really all that accurate but I don't really care because it just needed to give the idea. That's a view of a gallery that is already existing, and I photoshopped out all of the tanks that were there and then composited in the new tank. It's an exhibit with Arapaimas, the world's largest freshwater fish. I think it will be a really fun exhibit once it's finished. It's slated for 2010 at the Oklahoma Aquarium (where I work).

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Saw this linked somewhere, it's loving incredible: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/07/09/otoy-developing-server-side-3d-rendering-technology/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just wanted to say that Autodesk is loving amazing. I submitted my Maya selection bug, got a personal response and now I'm working with QA one on one to track it down. If every product I bought had this type of support :monocle:

IHeartBoobs
Apr 20, 2003

Hey guys. I'm fairly new to the world of 3d; I've only been using Maya for about 7 months, mostly for motion graphics work, and a little bit of stylized VFX work. My question is, has anyone gone from using Maya to Cinema4D? If so, how easy is it to adapt?

To contribute to the thread, some absolutely amazing recent work by Nervo:

http://www.thiagocosta.net/dneuron.html

edit: Royale's first ever showreel:

http://www.weareroyale.com/site_work/reel08.html

IHeartBoobs fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 11, 2008

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Coolest medical animation I've seen all week. Hell maybe ever!

http://www.hybridmedicalanimation.com/demoReel.html

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

DefMech posted:

Saw this linked somewhere, it's loving incredible: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/07/09/otoy-developing-server-side-3d-rendering-technology/

I'm sorry, I can't think of anything to say since my head just exploded. :aaaaa:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DefMech posted:

Pretty cool, although while it has a lot of useful applications I don't see portable gaming being one of them due to the lag. Now personal navigation devices and similar things, this could really help out there.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

Pretty cool, although while it has a lot of useful applications I don't see portable gaming being one of them due to the lag. Now personal navigation devices and similar things, this could really help out there.

Yeah, I have no idea what the eventual applications of this tech will be, but it sure sounds promising for something. Someone in the comments said something about it causing a resurgence in arcades. They'd have the servers on site, making latency a non-issue. While I think they're probably 100% wrong on the arcade thing, keeping the geographic distance as low as possible would be one solution. FOX or EA or whoever would lease space at ISPs, who would cache the content locally, preventing users from having to go too far out of their network. That said, I'm still not sold on this being used for traditional video game entertainment. I can see the government, higher education and the military having lots of interest, though.

I'd also like to know a lot more about the hardware they're using. It says most of the load is handled by a bunch of ATI cards working in parallel, not necessarily by lots of computers. That sure sounds like it could be cheaper than the rack of render servers we have at work. Of course, this all depends on the highly specialized software they're using to get all that to work together. What technology are they using for their lighting? How does it handle the gigabytes of texture data and the ultra dense polycounts of those film assets? How do they keep it all that parallel processing perfectly synchronized? Lots of questions...

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

DefMech posted:

I'd also like to know a lot more about the hardware they're using. It says most of the load is handled by a bunch of ATI cards working in parallel, not necessarily by lots of computers. That sure sounds like it could be cheaper than the rack of render servers we have at work. Of course, this all depends on the highly specialized software they're using to get all that to work together. What technology are they using for their lighting? How does it handle the gigabytes of texture data and the ultra dense polycounts of those film assets? How do they keep it all that parallel processing perfectly synchronized? Lots of questions...

I don't know about ATI, but I have a fair chunk of experience using nvidia's CUDA programming language, which is probably how they'd handle that. This same technology was used in the FASTRA imaging system, which blows my mind.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

DefMech posted:

I also agree this is pretty revolutionary. Curious to see how far they can take this.

IHeartBoobs posted:

To contribute to the thread, some absolutely amazing recent work by Nervo:

http://www.thiagocosta.net/dneuron.html

edit: Royale's first ever showreel:

http://www.weareroyale.com/site_work/reel08.html

Those are very very cool.

Here are some rings my student modeled set against my desk and rendered with a home-made HDR probe.

. . . I have been away too long. I have a lot to catch up with this thread.

In Max is there any way to get the background image to render which one sets up using "alt + b" as opposed to using the "8" key?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 12, 2008

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

PowerLlama posted:

Coolest medical animation I've seen all week. Hell maybe ever!

http://www.hybridmedicalanimation.com/demoReel.html

gently caress. That is insane.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

drat. That's real nice. Their print work's just as pretty too.

And workwise, I finally figured out why backburner was just refusing to work on my computer. Having renders going off in the background lets me feel productive, even when I'm just browsing.

Of course that disappears once I come back and look at the whole sequence and realise that I hosed up with scene states and lighting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
New scene with no textures save the sky and the trees, and only a half-assed lighting set-up, but this is essentially what it's going to look like. Comments and crits would be well appreciated.

There she be.