Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Sorry, that was phoenix running in max. It's shaping up to be a pretty robust fluid sim. Hasnt crashed on me once (realflow) and runs natively in max/is cheap (anything else)
perfect integration with vray too, as expected. I broke apart all the passes and re-assembled them to look exactly like the base, and rendering just foam on black, just above/below water foam etc is all just a couple of checkboxes.
idk how others are because I never learnt them to this level but it's been a dream to use so far.

Bear in mind a lot of the foam tools to get it to drift into patterns don't exist in the main builds, it's very new - you need to ask to use the nightly/betas. they're gearing up for a big release soon which should turn some heads. they've re-worked in the interface and how you access some features a fair amount in the last few months too which make it much easier to use.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been doing more water r&d for potential future boat jobs. This is the first test done in my spare time to convince my ceo to give me a few days to give it an environment, a few cameras & turns etc.

https://vimeo.com/91627172

There's an emitter at the back of the boat to create the wake caused by the propeller but it needs turning up a bit. The power was right but it was too big, so I scaled it down and forgot that the lower surface area would drop the power too. Easy to do, but I couldn't be arsed waiting 1 night to sim and another to render for such a small change.
Simulation time was 30s a frame at the start, up to 1min at the end (1,000 frames in total, took 300 to establish a good foam pattern) Render time was 8 minutes a frame at 720p.
all in, 700 frames were simmed and rendered on 4 machines here over 2 nights (no days, just 8pm to 10am). I think it's nearly production ready.

I think you have too much wake in front of the boat? I think the wake should be extending like a V with the point of the V at the front of the boat where the hull comes out of the water; it looks more U shaped in your video and screenshot. That's based on my memory from when I used to live near water and a quick google search for images of motorboats.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Dad Dick Embrace. posted:

Hey, have a workflow query - I'm working on a project with another animator who is using 3DS max - I'm using C4D. He's doing the rigging and animation and I am compositing the scenes, doing environmental effects etc. I'm aware that there's a number of problems with trying to export rigged animation objects from one software to another, but I understand that you can bake the animation in max into the object and use that in c4d?

Secondly, one of the animated objects needs some strands of dynamic hair added - is it possible to add this onto the baked object in c4d or will it need to be made in max and turned into a polygon object for rendering in c4d?

e: we tried out a sample and it works suspiciously smoothly - you can just drop hairs on anything.

Have you looked into Alembic?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

Sorry, that was phoenix running in max. It's shaping up to be a pretty robust fluid sim. Hasnt crashed on me once (realflow) and runs natively in max/is cheap (anything else)
perfect integration with vray too, as expected. I broke apart all the passes and re-assembled them to look exactly like the base, and rendering just foam on black, just above/below water foam etc is all just a couple of checkboxes.
idk how others are because I never learnt them to this level but it's been a dream to use so far.

Bear in mind a lot of the foam tools to get it to drift into patterns don't exist in the main builds, it's very new - you need to ask to use the nightly/betas. they're gearing up for a big release soon which should turn some heads. they've re-worked in the interface and how you access some features a fair amount in the last few months too which make it much easier to use.

Cool stuff! The water material is a foggy fresnely thing made inside vray or are there material presets for phoenix?

sweet to chat
Mar 28, 2007

keyframe posted:

Have you looked into Alembic?

looks really useful, thanks!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Odddzy posted:

Cool stuff! The water material is a foggy fresnely thing made inside vray or are there material presets for phoenix?

the material is a simple vray one. Black diffuse, fully white reflection, fresnel, full refraction with just enough fog to make it go black a couple metres in. the look is all sky reflection and the ocean vector displacement map from phoenix (which is amazing and i've never seen it tile, and i think comes with the demo)

Listerine - you're right - I got approval from our ceo to work on this more and make an example we can shot to potential clients so i'll get to fix that :)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've been doing Low Poly (sub-1k tris) and low tex res (256x256 and lower) models partly as an exercise and partly as an art test for a project I might be starting soon.

Basically the setting is a medieval fantasy romp but instead of dark ages quasi-europe, the whole thing takes place in a late 80's/early 90's coastal city. Think "Romeo + Juliet" but with actual knights and paladins and wizards and stuff.

Also working in low-poly is just plain fun.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Babe Magnet posted:

I've been doing Low Poly (sub-1k tris) and low tex res (256x256 and lower) models partly as an exercise and partly as an art test for a project I might be starting soon.

Basically the setting is a medieval fantasy romp but instead of dark ages quasi-europe, the whole thing takes place in a late 80's/early 90's coastal city. Think "Romeo + Juliet" but with actual knights and paladins and wizards and stuff.

Also working in low-poly is just plain fun.

Pretty impressive. Great reduction. The C on the biker guy's head seems HUGE in the UV, it's too bad you can't shrink it and give a bit more space to the helmet, but they're on different islands.

EDIT: I'm working on a big fat guy, I've been playing a lot of Loadout lately so I wanted to mimic their character's proportions a bit.

The thing on his head is going to be a green translucent blob with a skull and spine underneath, and a bunch of those heart monitor pads all over his body with the wires ripped off.

EDIT: A bit more progress:

EDIT2:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 14, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thanks! The idea behind the "C" on the biker's helmet is that I could put just about any symbol there if I ever wanted to change it, such as in the case of alternate skins.

Also your big fat dude looks like an ice cream golem. The goo thing sounds like it will be gross as heck and awesome.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been doing more water r&d for potential future boat jobs. This is the first test done in my spare time to convince my ceo to give me a few days to give it an environment, a few cameras & turns etc.

https://vimeo.com/91627172

There's an emitter at the back of the boat to create the wake caused by the propeller but it needs turning up a bit. The power was right but it was too big, so I scaled it down and forgot that the lower surface area would drop the power too. Easy to do, but I couldn't be arsed waiting 1 night to sim and another to render for such a small change.
Simulation time was 30s a frame at the start, up to 1min at the end (1,000 frames in total, took 300 to establish a good foam pattern) Render time was 8 minutes a frame at 720p.
all in, 700 frames were simmed and rendered on 4 machines here over 2 nights (no days, just 8pm to 10am). I think it's nearly production ready.

The foam/spray generation is really weird and doesn't make sense. Far too much on the bow for the speed it's going and then there's a weird secondary generation on the trails.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The foam/spray generation is really weird and doesn't make sense. Far too much on the bow for the speed it's going and then there's a weird secondary generation on the trails.

Agreed. It looks completely wrong. There is also no dissolve or fade on the farthest waves, they have that turbulence effect on them to the same amplitude the whole time which looks very weird. Your rendering is very nice though.

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

:ese::saddowns:
Just messing around and made a short little thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD0KqOTRgOg

Does anyone know if you can use the reduce polygons in c4d and make them 'stick' to other polygons so they don't spasm when you're animating them? In this whenever I animated anything on the spherical landscapes it would go crazy and then stop as soon as they were done transforming, so I ended up putting another small noise displacer on the objects so at least they'd be equally as crazy the whole way through instead of abruptly stopping and looking really weird.

sweet to chat
Mar 28, 2007

hey, has anyone worked with hair in c4d before? I have to add some hair to a character that runs around with a long hair piece and then shakes it out and it falls away - my understanding is you can make hair fall away from an object by removing the 'fixed roots' option and reducing the root hold to 0% - but unfortunately you can't do that halfway through a simulation.
I'm just planning the scene now and as far as I can see my options are either A) to run the animation through to the point where the hair needs to fall out, set a new initial state, and create a second version of the project where the hair starts in that state without fixed roots and hope it matches up, or B) have a series of invisible objects on the character that the hair is attached to that animate away from the character when it shakes, taking the hair with them. any ideas? long hair seems pretty fiddly to work with in c4d so far so it'd be good to find a streamlined method.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

A few renders, including the troublesome clock I asked you guys about a little while back:

I ended up going the MEL route for the numbers, then took a converted DWG into Illustrator. The only real wrinkle at that point was that I had to make any digit with nested paths into a compound path for the fill to work, but that wasn't a huge deal. Thanks to SynthOrange for the tip on aligning to points of a star - I used that for the hour markings. Here's the script for the numbers:

code:
int $text;

for ($text = 1; $text < 61; $text++)
{
    textCurves -ch 0 -f "DejaVu Sans" -n "Num" -t $text;

string $object[] = `ls -sl`;
    float $x_center = `objectCenter -x $object[0]`;
    int $rot = ($text * -6);

CenterPivot; 
    move -x ($x_center * -1);
    move -y 20;
    move 0 0 0 ($object[0] + ".rotatePivot");
    rotate -z $rot;
    CenterPivot;
    rotate -z 0;
}
A couple earlier projects:

All of these were rendered with Maxwell.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

The 3D is more of a supplement in this case, but here's a cover for Frederick Pohl's Tunnel Under the World, which I was inspired to do after listening to the radio play they made out of it in the 1950s.

And a comic kinda thing (the first 2 pages have no 3D but I'm including them just for the sake of the "story"):

3DS Max & V-Ray

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
You integrated the CG into the hand-drawn stuff really well, Hernando. Looks great!

Here's some low-ish poly stuff I finished last week to start getting my freelance portfolio into shape for game art:

sweet to chat
Mar 28, 2007

Hernando posted:

The 3D is more of a supplement in this case, but here's a cover for Frederick Pohl's Tunnel Under the World, which I was inspired to do after listening to the radio play they made out of it in the 1950s.

And a comic kinda thing (the first 2 pages have no 3D but I'm including them just for the sake of the "story"):

3DS Max & V-Ray

wow that's bananas, it's great

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Crossposted from the daily drawing thread:

Hope everybody had a great easter. Here are some old bunnies I made in zbrush. I posted them here before but I wanted to put them next to the original sketches by Gris Grimly.

Bonus Valentine's day version here:

. . . and a Cat In The Hat.

Made in zbrush and photoshop.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a vray global illumination question: I have a scene where a projector is playing a video against a wall via a spot light + volume light. Would it be possible to use the multiframe incremental mode for the irradiance map and light cache to save render time, or does the fact that the only light source is constantly changing disqualify that option?

e: V That's really interesting, never thought of that

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 22, 2014

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you wouldn't be able to precache GI for that.
You could turn off GI and fake light bounce with an area light facing away from the wall with the same texture blurred out maybe.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
yeah do your gi with the projector and that light turned off, then switch them on as you load the gi for the final render.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Just testing out some transparency settings.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009
The older one seemed marry the green blob and skin together better. It seemed to be casting more of a shadow.
I also think the extra noise of the veins and such doesn't really add much and makes it everything look way messier.

Not to be negative, I thought the earlier version was super cool as it was.

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

I really like this one! The abstract architecture just kind of jives with me.

I've been doing small one-day projects when I'm in between jobs to get some decent practice in, and this is todays:

I kind of like it so far, so I'm thinking I might spend a bit longer on it. Anything jump out to people as something that needs fixing? I know the wallpaper's pretty far from the wall in some of the holes and there's no wires or anything yet.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
for a run down place they sure do read a lot of books.... i'd expect more beers, cigarette butts, food wrappers, drugs, booze etc.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
You have quite a few objects in there that all read the same, as if they're made from the same material. Specifically the couch, books, and coffee table all have a very toothy, dry appearance to them; there's very little specular information for me to differentiate one from another. Actually, there's very little specular information going on period in the piece. Toss in some gloss and fresnel components to some of those materials. It will make the rendering much more convincing and easy to understand.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The books jump out at me because they're all the same apart from color. Mix in some thinner and thicker ones, paperback and hardcover. There's some weird speckle lighting on the ones on the bottom too.

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

Awesome, thanks guys. There is gloss to most of the stuff, I think I just kept driving it down to stop anything looking shiny. As for the books and lack of other junk around the place, that was just pure laziness from me.

E: put a bit more into it, thanks for the tips guys! It's definitely getting there I think.

Also I put a robot in because why not:

He's probably not going to stay unless I can be bothered making him fit in a bit better/fix his textures.

OtherCubed fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 23, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My first complaint was that everything was way too procedurally generated. Then you put the robot in there and it all of a sudden fits! Leave it in there. (but dent up some of the beer cans).

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
I was going to suggest you change the books to magazines, but it looks like you did it. If you're looking for something else to add, some water damage stains around the outside of the ceiling would fit with the peeling wallpaper and stucco nicely.

The robot resident makes the upright beer cans hilarious in context. I keep imagining it putting them down with complete robotic precision, despite the trash strewn everywhere else.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Theres a book placement script floating on the net for max that could help you out if you ever need it in the future.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think the cans all being upright looks a bit weird. You'd think if someone let a room go that bad they'd not care if a few fell over.

The other thing for me is that it looks a bit too small. I'm not sure if it's the camera angle, or the huge bump on everything; but its making the room look much smaller than a normal room to me.

Other than that it's looking great.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The uniform gap between the torn wallpaper and the wall is really bothering me. When a sticker or paper has been torn away and only been partially left behind it's because the glue is still adhering there. The edges of some of those holes should still be stuck to the wall.

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

Amazing, thanks guys! I'll make another pass at it.

Everything in the room is built to real world specs, I guess if it's looking a bit small it's either because I'm using a slightly wide lens or, like you said, the bumps are a bit off. I'll see what I can do!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Oh I'd proper sink those seat cushions in a bit too. Like a real slob has been sitting on them.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

OtherCubed posted:

Amazing, thanks guys! I'll make another pass at it.

if you're using max, use massfx for the beer cans and other clutter. get a bunch of it floating in space and just drop it into the scene. move some around, but let it all fall naturally.

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

I'm using cinema, I used modynamics for the books but I got a bit more control with a bunch of cloners and random effectors for the cans/bottles in the end.

Thanks everyone! I've tried to make a bunch of adjustments, I got the wallpaper bumps working decently and having some bits stuck to the walls in the preview renders, but in the final one it decided to go back to being completely off, so I dunno.

Beat up the sofas a bit, added in some variation to the cans and added in some extra stuff! I think I hosed up the bump on the wall a bit, preferred it in the older ones but I've done a kind of paintover between renders. Think I'm about done with this one.

Here's the straight render before photoshop:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is the first version of my CG animation demo reel I'm comfortable sharing. Before I've mostly done rigging. Got an interview tomorrow with a studio in Halifax, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up on being hired, so be merciless with (constructive, hopefully) criticism. I need to improve!
https://vimeo.com/92857009

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

OtherCubed posted:

I'm using cinema, I used modynamics for the books but I got a bit more control with a bunch of cloners and random effectors for the cans/bottles in the end.

Thanks everyone! I've tried to make a bunch of adjustments, I got the wallpaper bumps working decently and having some bits stuck to the walls in the preview renders, but in the final one it decided to go back to being completely off, so I dunno.

Beat up the sofas a bit, added in some variation to the cans and added in some extra stuff! I think I hosed up the bump on the wall a bit, preferred it in the older ones but I've done a kind of paintover between renders. Think I'm about done with this one.

Here's the straight render before photoshop:

I think the beat up sofas look great, the place has a really nasty-grungey look that feels right. It feels like it should smell, you know?

The only thing, and I hesitate to bring it up at this point in the process, but the wallpaper holes don't feel right to me. They look like actual holes in wallpaper, but the placement of them seems truly random. I feel like if it were a real house, the holes and rips would likely start at the seams of the paper and move inward, not at the center of the panels. Furthermore, there might be some caused by furniture moving around, or where nails were hammered in, or some 'real life' process.

This image shows how stains, rips, and dirt seem to collect around the seams leaving the centers of the panels comparatively pristine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah at this point I'd move away from the procedural generation of the wall stains and holes (which is what is allowing you to be less precise) and see what you can do to manually do those. I think it'll add a ton.