Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Oh, wow. Great timing here. I've actually been in the process of trying to figure out if I should buy Mudbox or Mari right now. The Steam version looks a little worryingly limited, though I'm not 100% positive if that's true given that I'm mostly going to be doing videogame related texturing.

Are there any regular/goon discounts on the proper full version? $1200 or whatever is just a bit steep right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Pathos posted:

Oh, wow. Great timing here. I've actually been in the process of trying to figure out if I should buy Mudbox or Mari right now. The Steam version looks a little worryingly limited, though I'm not 100% positive if that's true given that I'm mostly going to be doing videogame related texturing.

Are there any regular/goon discounts on the proper full version? $1200 or whatever is just a bit steep right now...

We've got a 40% sale coming up soon for the full fat version.

The limitations should only really come into play if you need paint >4k, have more than two texture patches (udims) per object or paint 16bit or float textures.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Damnit internet, when I want a technical document of a WWII plane for 3D modeling reference its because I want the front and side views to be scaled correctly! :sigh:

For humans and animals it isn't so bad when something's off. If you have some experience drawing you're already trained to mentally compensate; its a lot harder for equipment and vehicles.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

Raenir Salazar posted:

Damnit internet, when I want a technical document of a WWII plane for 3D modeling reference its because I want the front and side views to be scaled correctly! :sigh:

For humans and animals it isn't so bad when something's off. If you have some experience drawing you're already trained to mentally compensate; its a lot harder for equipment and vehicles.

What kind of plane? And you might have luck asking on some history sites. There are probably books that you could get your hands on and scan images from.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
I've got 2 x Mari Indie Steam keys to give away. That's a $150 value folks.

Convince me you're going to use it and it's yours.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

forelle posted:

I'm the td for a recreational products company and we use the same rigged kids as everyone else; either Character Collective or ProVis. The industry is hungry for more photorealism, and decent rigged child models with good textures are, in general, hard to come by. I'm working on models, rigs, and proprietary configuration tools to try to break into that space and make some money on the side, but a wide variety of textures will be pretty crucial to my plan. I've done very little texture painting, mostly years ago when it was an exercise in masochism. I'll probably end up going with Mari Indie anyway, but anything to cut my investment cost would be p sweet.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Handiklap posted:

I'm the td for a recreational products company and we use the same rigged kids as everyone else; either Character Collective or ProVis. The industry is hungry for more photorealism, and decent rigged child models with good textures are, in general, hard to come by. I'm working on models, rigs, and proprietary configuration tools to try to break into that space and make some money on the side, but a wide variety of textures will be pretty crucial to my plan. I've done very little texture painting, mostly years ago when it was an exercise in masochism. I'll probably end up going with Mari Indie anyway, but anything to cut my investment cost would be p sweet.

One down. One to Go.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

forelle posted:

You guys call me every couple months and ask me if I've used Mari yet. The answer is always no because I couldn't afford the software, I always assume that they were calling me to give me the software to try it out but it never happened! I work at a large video game studio and we're probably going to be making the decision on whether to use Mari, Substance, or DDO in our pipeline in not too far off from now. Would be sweet to be able to see what Mari can do since I already have Substance and DDO.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
2/2 Gone. Thanks for playing.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have much experience with Shaderforge here? I'm trying to create a billboard texture but can't really find any documentation at all on how to do it other than the creator posting somewhere that you do it with vector transform from view to world with a vec 3 on 0 0 1, which makes sense but I don't know where to put it or where to link it up to!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't use it much anymore, but if you can find any tutorial on how to do it in udk or unreal, you may be able to recreate it in shaderforge. The SF guy pretty much ripped udk's material creator design as a base for SF so there's a lot of overlap.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

forelle posted:

2/2 Gone. Thanks for playing.

Missed it so it's bad timing on my part but drat, that's a nice gift for the thread Forelle. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Rubber Slug posted:

What kind of plane? And you might have luck asking on some history sites. There are probably books that you could get your hands on and scan images from.

An Il-2 attack plane and a Bf-109. Turns out the problem was something went weird when I rotated the original image and imported it back into my software; I had to remap my brain to use different camera keys but its working better now.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

forelle posted:

One down. One to Go.

No consolation price for the third place? :colbert:

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Odddzy posted:

Missed it so it's bad timing on my part but drat, that's a nice gift for the thread Forelle. :)

I hope people get some use out of them. It would be really cool to see some images / updates in the thread if possible.

Keyframe - Set of Steak Knives?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

forelle posted:

I hope people get some use out of them. It would be really cool to see some images / updates in the thread if possible.

You were nice enough to send me a trial and then a week later my company's funding disappeared and I eventually lost the job. Sorry for not posting something cool! Bad timing, heh.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks forelle for helping this thread out you're awesome.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
You ever have that moment where you finally completed something, and you find yourself spending hours in the day trying to get juuuust the right beauty shot because you're so enamored with your work?

It's quickly followed by self-loathing and doubt, but oooh, so happy with how this model came out...

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

I'm trying out Agisoft Photoscan, and it's an amazingly powerful tool, but one thing I can't seem to figure out is the camera controls. It seems like no matter how I rotate my object, the camera rotates around it in a bizarre and really uncomfortable fashion. This is the standard version. I think the pro version comes with some object orientation tools that help? Is it possible to make the camera work like it would in a normal program?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

forelle posted:

I was thinking more a mari tshirt :unsmith:

Seriously you guys need to sell swag on the website.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Rubber Slug posted:

I'm trying out Agisoft Photoscan, and it's an amazingly powerful tool, but one thing I can't seem to figure out is the camera controls. It seems like no matter how I rotate my object, the camera rotates around it in a bizarre and really uncomfortable fashion. This is the standard version. I think the pro version comes with some object orientation tools that help? Is it possible to make the camera work like it would in a normal program?

rotate your object before touching the camera controls - go into front, side, top and get it oriented properly and the camera controls work as normal. you're rotating around your object when it's base it up at some hosed up angle, try that in max and you'll get a similar result.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

Thanks, I'll try that. I thought that might be the problem, but after trying to rotate the object to various positions, the camera remained screwed up. It's hard to tell what's up and down once you've rotated the camera though.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Hey forelle, any bets on who's gonna buy your employer? :v:

People are already freaking out about the prospect of Autodesk or Adobe swooping in. Corporate politics is probably one of the things I'm least qualified to speculate about but for whatever reason it doesn't strike me as that kind of a deal. They'll probably just get shuffled to another private equity firm or something yeah? It'll be interesting to see how this shapes up in any case.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ugh, I don't want Autodesk to own MORE industry tools...

mutata fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 17, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
countdown to Nuke: Elements 2.0...

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

Cyne posted:

Hey forelle, any bets on who's gonna buy your employer? :v:

People are already freaking out about the prospect of Autodesk or Adobe swooping in. Corporate politics is probably one of the things I'm least qualified to speculate about but for whatever reason it doesn't strike me as that kind of a deal. They'll probably just get shuffled to another private equity firm or something yeah? It'll be interesting to see how this shapes up in any case.

I can't comment as I don't know any details, but as Brad commented on our forums we've been sold before, at some point we may be sold again, and as far as we're concerned it's business as usual.

I've been through a sale here before and the only difference was I got a nicer desk and our travel system was upgraded.

forelle fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 17, 2014

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

keyframe posted:

I was thinking more a mari tshirt :unsmith:

Seriously you guys need to sell swag on the website.

How about another opportunity to pickup something for free?

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145506&page=7

Open for the next couple of hours.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Rubber Slug posted:

Thanks, I'll try that. I thought that might be the problem, but after trying to rotate the object to various positions, the camera remained screwed up. It's hard to tell what's up and down once you've rotated the camera though.

in the view options you can switch between perspective and orthographic, and front/left/top views - i dont do much rotating by hand until the very end now, it's much easier.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

forelle posted:

I can't comment as I don't know any details, but as Brad commented on our forums we've been sold before, at some point we may be sold again, and as far as we're concerned it's business as usual.

I've been through a sale here before and the only difference was I got a nicer desk and our travel system was upgraded.

Yeah my impression was that it's really just typical business / financial maneuvering and not the huge shake-up that we're worried about, so thanks for confirming that. 3D / VFX people are paranoid about this kind of stuff given the recent history with Softimage & Naiad being bought and killed by Autodesk.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

forelle posted:

How about another opportunity to pickup something for free?

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145506&page=7

Open for the next couple of hours.

I participated! Some entries were much more involved than I thought they would be.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 17, 2014

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
New free 3D SK reference out today merry christmas

http://christmas.3d.sk/?utm_source=...e4d37b25ddce0e0

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

concerned mom posted:

New free 3D SK reference out today merry christmas

http://christmas.3d.sk/?utm_source=...e4d37b25ddce0e0

That's a NWS link by the way.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

That's a NWS link by the way.

Sorry, it's art ref, fine line!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

concerned mom posted:

Sorry, it's art ref, fine line!

I'm sure HR will see it that way too. ;)

SynthOrange posted:

"Yes, poopinmymouth.com is a legitimate website. It's for art reference and tutorials."

"What do you mean I'm fired?"
I always hoped that if I had to be brought into an office to explain my web browsing at work, it would be for having this URL come up in some sort of flagging software.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 19, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Yes, poopinmymouth.com is a legitimate website. It's for art reference and tutorials."

"What do you mean I'm fired?"

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
To be honest as a 3d artist anywhere I've worked wouldn't have the slightest problem with 3dsk but I apologise if anyone's work here would have done.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Stupid question but how the hell do I model something like a d20 dice?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think i'd look for a flat one to get the layout, figure out the angles involved and rotate each panel. that would take a while though, max has a primitive object that can do this instantly, i saved one out for you here - http://we.tl/TOqZUfivoh

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Has anyone ever been animating a CAT rig in max, only for the IKs to suddenly start jittering for no reason [move on one axis thousands of units away and then back ever other frame] between two static keyframes? I've had this happen before but I have no idea how I fixed it.

This is a blank frame between two keyframes in which nothing happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

cubicle gangster posted:

I think i'd look for a flat one to get the layout, figure out the angles involved and rotate each panel. that would take a while though, max has a primitive object that can do this instantly, i saved one out for you here - http://we.tl/TOqZUfivoh

I love you. Thank you.