Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah we don't really need to use 20*8k maps, and that's mainly what Mari excells at is multiple uv sets. Substance is picking up the pace though and you can work with multiple uv sets you just can't paint across 10 8k maps smoothly because the gpu can only handle so much displayed/cached at once.

But still yeah, I've worked on realistic games and even main characters use 4 uv sets at most. If anything I feel like if Mari slows down their pace of development for it and allows game tools to surpass it people may be switching to game tools for film stuff. I know some vfx houses are starting to use substance and DDO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I notice a ton of ~super realism~ games, for the bulk of the work that's not handpainted, just use Quixel Suite. It seems to produce pretty drat good work for games, and a lot of the Unreal 4 demos use it.

This one uses it entirely I think:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
The one huge issue with the Quixel suite is it runs off of photoshop's engine so it's clunky and slow as gently caress. It's got some nice presets and settings, but it's not worth it for how slow everything updates and takes to generate.

Consider doing a 2000-asset wide texture adjustment in DDO vs changing some nodes in Substance. It'd be ridiculously inefficient at it.

Portfolio pieces and standalone props? Sure, but for team-wide production it's hard to beat a node based system.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 21, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Some of the maps that come with Quixel are pretty clone-brush-bad too. I mean, ideally you start to make your own blend mask maps and stuff, but I remember looking at some of them and cringing.

Obviously people make cool stuff with it though. And bad stuff. It makes me happy to see people making bad art with the fancy tools. The artist singularity is not yet! I'm still employable!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Agreed. Also substance has the ridiculously powerful ability to essentially create extremely complex materials entirely procedural. And I'm not talking about just grunge. I mean full on tiling roofs and poo poo, with maybe 1 roof-tile sculpted in zbrush or created from a height map of a scanned object.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
To be clear that's substance designer, not painter (although painter can use those)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You'd pretty much be doing a disservice to yourself if you have no intention on using them both or subscribing to the full Allegorithmic suite. Especially if we're talking about a next-gen pipeline and engine.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Only that's what I did :cry:

Painter without substance makes some solid textures though and the pipeline is significantly easier when you don't need to bother with substance plugins etc.

On the other hand the majority of what I do is low-poly stuff with no textures so... I shouldn't have bothered anyway :qq: Shoulda pirataed it

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
They gave me a free suite of it all so I'm ok with it haha

I don't really use it at work all that much cause we're still in UE3 and it makes no sense yet. Once we switch to UE4 I'll definitely be using it more.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

EoinCannon posted:

Oh right, interesting.
I reckon Mari is pretty artist friendly as it seems to have taken over in film fairly completely.
It's obviously more geared towards film pipelines instead of realtime pipelines though.

From the feedback we have Mari is pretty easy to pickup in a day or so.

I think the main issue we have is how generic Mari is.

Mari was designed for VFX texture artists and a high end hero VFX asset might have 30+ channels of texture information.

* Diffuse
* Disp * 3 (High, Mid, Low Frequency)
* Spec * 3
* Dirt
* Blood
* Scratches
* Subsurface * 3
* Hair control maps
* Flow maps
* Pressure response maps
.... etc etc etc

These are often kept as separate channels to allow tweaks and modifications at look development time and provide adequate control to quickly final shots.

For this situation having a PBR style workflow for spec, diffuse, bump, roughness is really useful but only a very small part of the problem. A Substance painter style workflow is great for 3/4 of these channels, but you've then got to generate, create, extract, paint, edit the other 27 channels you need.

Many of these maps don't have a reasonable realtime way of showing them in a way that provides useful feedback to the artist so they tend to be painted grey-scale.

We're working on a more material based system and should be announcing some stuff soon. Also, we're sneak peaking some interesting stuff along with the Modo 901 launch this evening.

They're really just coming at the same problem from different directions. Mari is a very comprehensive tool to solve very difficult problems. Substance is a simpler tool to handle relatively simpler problems. That said there is a lot we can do to make simple problems simple to solve, while not loosing the ability to solve the difficult problems too.

forelle fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 21, 2015

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah I'll give it to you guys. You're the only application with actual flow map painting so game dev environment artists love you for that. We had to build a custom one when I was at my previous studio.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

ceebee posted:

Yeah I'll give it to you guys. You're the only application with actual flow map painting so game dev environment artists love you for that. We had to build a custom one when I was at my previous studio.

https://vimeo.com/128607018

Here's the update video we shared with people in the Modo 901 launch last night.

Just a little hint of what's coming.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
N/M

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I am extremely delighted that the foundry was bought by a company not beginning with the letter A. I was worried there for a bit :sweatdrop:

Forti
May 5, 2009

Hey guys, can anyone point me to a quick and easy primer on rigging in maya 2015/14?
I'm applying to a bunch of positions that list rigging skills as a requirement but I last rigged something in softimage in 2011 so I'm pretty rusty and need to bone up on new tools.

I know 'quick and easy' and 'rigging' dont necessarily go together...

Forti fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 23, 2015

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This series is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4XRgmTynY

Though if you're doing dual quaternion skinning you'll need to use a ribbon setup for the spine instead of that spline IK, because for whatever reason dual quaternion and spline IKs don't work with each other. But the major things to pay attention to with rigging in Maya is joint orientation, constraints vs. parenting, naming conventions, hierarchy, and IK vs. FK. There's fancier stuff, but most places with fancier setups will just use scripted tools to do the complicated things.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Started to get back into using Blender to make things, opinions?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mmmm, pineapples

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Keket posted:

Started to get back into using Blender to make things, opinions?

Looks good :) You need to practice your UE4 foo and dump it in there for ease of goregousness

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I used Mari briefly in University, but it seemed really pointless. All we were taught to do was things like masking stuff, and multiple layers of textures for various maps, as well as making them from other textures and using filters and such. Doesn't seem like anything special that any other program can't do just as well, what is it best used for?

Forti posted:

Hey guys, can anyone point me to a quick and easy primer on rigging in maya 2015/14?
I'm applying to a bunch of positions that list rigging skills as a requirement but I last rigged something in softimage in 2011 so I'm pretty rusty and need to bone up on new tools.

I know 'quick and easy' and 'rigging' dont necessarily go together...

My uni tutor Jay is great at Maya rigging. He released a cool book: https://shop.3dtotal.com/books/3dtotalpublishing/beginners-guide-character-creation-maya.html

If you understand the fundamentals of rigging, this should be really great at getting you up to speed in Maya, and you might learn some new things along the way.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I dont think anything but mari can do this - http://media.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-ep165.mp4

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Megaspel posted:

I used Mari briefly in University, but it seemed really pointless. All we were taught to do was things like masking stuff, and multiple layers of textures for various maps, as well as making them from other textures and using filters and such. Doesn't seem like anything special that any other program can't do just as well, what is it best used for?

You must have some pretty sweet tutors if they couldn't explain what Mari is used for in the industry. What university did you go to?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

keyframe posted:

You must have some pretty sweet tutors if they couldn't explain what Mari is used for in the industry. What university did you go to?

I'm sure they would have if I had thought to ask. I know it's a texturing program, I was just wondering what makes it worth a grand and a half a year. We didn't have a lot of lessons on it, it was one of the many things we were taught so we had a basic understanding to let us explore it if we were interested.
Most of our tutors were great at Bournemouth, but we definitely had a couple terrible ones, like one who was late to a lecture and spent the remaining time trying to pirate Up.

That's really cool, it makes me want to do more realistic projects so I can get back into Mari.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Sounds like Mari is what I should learn over Substance Painter, but I am sure both are VERY powerful tools.

Working on a 3d bust which will be cast into bronze. Would appreciate any C&C on the sculpt before I create a mold of it.

I can tell the folds in the eyelids aren't defined enough and one corner of the mouth is too high. Sculpting the hair will be next since I am sure the 3d printer won't like fibremesh very much. Tried to dynamesh fibremesh and zbrush immediately crashed.

Reference:

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 26, 2015

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

Sounds like Mari is what I should learn over Substance Painter, but I am sure both are VERY powerful tools.

Working on a 3d bust which will be cast into bronze. Would appreciate any C&C on the sculpt before I create a mold of it.

I can tell the folds in the eyelids aren't defined enough and one corner of the mouth is too high. Sculpting the hair will be next since I am sure the 3d printer won't like fibremesh very much. Tried to dynamesh fibremesh and zbrush immediately crashed.

Reference:

A few things that I notice just looking at the photo, it's a bit hard to tell with those renders all being from one angle though and the ref photo being a high angle.
You may have been working for a photoscan or something in which case disregard, just comparing the appearance of the render with the appearance of the photo.

the obicularis oris seems ill defined, the lips seems to lack structure and they don't have the "tucking" in the corner where the top muscle band overlaps the bottom
The curve of the top lip doesn't seem to match, the philtrum area doesn't have the tightness of the model, basically the "M" curve of the lip is too flat overall.
The bottom lip appears not to protrude far enough, there doesn't seem to be that definition between bottom lip and chin.
The overall eye shape doesn't seem quite right, like they are not quite angular and almond shaped enough.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nevermind.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 27, 2015

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

The eye outline looks good do me when I look at just that, but something about the eyes still seem off. Maybe it's the lack of eyelashes? Her top eyelid's fold crease might need to be a bit more exaggerated, or maybe do an ambient occlusion layer to show it better.

I'm really bad at the eye part of sculpting.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

grenade materials heavy w.i.p.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Motherfucker. Guess who found out that leaving 'edit zsketch' on causes the sketch to not be saved after working on a thing all day. :negative:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

echinopsis posted:

Looks good :) You need to practice your UE4 foo and dump it in there for ease of goregousness

Thanks duder, started messing with UE4 yesterday, already starting to like things with it over Unity.

Here's a couple more for the pyramid set.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Motherfucker. Guess who found out that leaving 'edit zsketch' on causes the sketch to not be saved after working on a thing all day. :negative:

Yeah Zbrush's saving is super confusing. I think I still have a couple GB of files because I kept saving projects and objects and stuff just to make sure.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Keket posted:

Thanks duder, started messing with UE4 yesterday, already starting to like things with it over Unity.

Here's a couple more for the pyramid set.

Nice. Easier to see detail now with different lighting

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I made something today.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
That's so cool! Is it Blender/Freestyle?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
you should take that further and try making a whole scene with that style. it would be neat!

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
I don't know if anyone saw this or cares (it's from GDC, so kinda old news), but Epic created a few proprietary pieces of software that vastly improve the photogrammetry > game asset pipeline, and when someone asked the question, "Are you planning on putting together a giant box kit for the photography aspect of this?" the Epic guy replied: https://youtu.be/clakekAHQx0?t=3282

The most exciting feature is the "de-lighting tool" which, if you feed it an HDR probe from the scene the model was captured in, it will create an accurate color/diffuse/albedo map for the object. They talk more about that here.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

For scanning objects? That will be neat if it's accessible, but only useful for so far (you'd be limited by what objects you had on hand as well as the physical size of the unit). I'm more interested in material scanning like what Ready At Dawn did for The Order or what Megascans has. Not needing to be beholden to a 3rd party library of materials would be awesome.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

EoinCannon posted:

A few things that I notice just looking at the photo, it's a bit hard to tell with those renders all being from one angle though and the ref photo being a high angle.
You may have been working for a photoscan or something in which case disregard, just comparing the appearance of the render with the appearance of the photo.

the obicularis oris seems ill defined, the lips seems to lack structure and they don't have the "tucking" in the corner where the top muscle band overlaps the bottom
The curve of the top lip doesn't seem to match, the philtrum area doesn't have the tightness of the model, basically the "M" curve of the lip is too flat overall.
The bottom lip appears not to protrude far enough, there doesn't seem to be that definition between bottom lip and chin.
The overall eye shape doesn't seem quite right, like they are not quite angular and almond shaped enough.

Thank you!

Here is a start on the hair. Still have a long way to go.

I want to add eyelashes but I am concerned they won't come out in the 3d print out -> rubber mold -> wax -> bronze process. Even the hair may cause problems I suspect. Hmmm.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 29, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Any way to force backface culling in VRay for Maya? Can't find that option at all even though it seems to be pretty obvious in other versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Fyadophobic posted:

I made something today.

Love the style on this, how did you achieve it?