Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Yay I can finally post again!! And a sparkling new thread to do it in, too!

http://rapidshare.com/files/123189111/Infested.avi.html

Here's a video of a scene I've been working on for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
New scene with no textures save the sky and the trees, and only a half-assed lighting set-up, but this is essentially what it's going to look like. Comments and crits would be well appreciated.

There she be.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

SynthOrange posted:

I'd say if you were trying to go for a clean, stylized look, all that's missing is the ground and roof textures.

And maybe do something about the lamps, they look wierd as hell.

What do you find weird about the lamps?

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
A few textures, and a bit better lighting. I might do something about the lanterns, but that can wait.

Again, comments and crits welcome.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Anybody have a nice grass tutorial they'd be willing to share? Not clean-cut grass mind you, but the wild stuff that possibly would hide velociraptors if left unchecked.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

IHeartBoobs posted:

What software do you want to do it in? I know how to create pretty realistic grass in Maya using fur.

It's maya, yeah. Probably should have specified earlier, whoops!

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

IHeartBoobs posted:

Paint effects can be good but can require a lot of tweaking to not look like a preset. You can attach a hair system with dynamics (ie. turbulence) to a fur description to make it look like it's blowing in the wind, and it's very fast to calculate/render.

Have you got a tutorial I can look at or am I just going to have to fiddle with it? I've never really used fur all that much.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

IHeartBoobs posted:

Let me try to do a screen capture.

edit: I'll get this uploaded later tonight

edit 2: here you go: http://www.mayzis.com/furtutoriallq.mov

That is supremely helpful, thank you!

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Some objects appear to have outlines, and I have no idea why. I'm assuming it's because of the passes and the black hole matte is somehow marginally larger than the objects, but I don't know why that would happen or how to fix it.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Another shot:

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

ACanofPepsi posted:

What are the trees in the background if you don't mind telling. Transparent images on a 2d plane, or are they CG trees?

Transparent images on a 2D plane. Though I'm using two planes, one behind the other, to try to give a little bit of depth.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Could someone tell me how to get my point lights to stop flickering, please?

In Maya.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Kirby posted:

are you using glow? theres an exposure setting that is set to auto, which means it changes every frame, giving the flicker.

I'm not using glow. This is what it looks like in two consecutive frames.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Here's a short video I put together:

http://rapidshare.com/files/166501207/Graveyard.avi.html

You can see it on youtube too, but the video quality is just awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DWOInufO8w

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Start of my new scene. Simple shapes to denote where objects will generally be, very basic lighting set up. I'm mostly trying to get the cameras/composition set up before I get to work.
http://www.vimeo.com/2480792

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

A work in progress. It's a little dark, but you can still see everything okay, I think.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

This is it for now, until I get some good feedback and end up having to change everything. So, speaking of feedback, what do y'all think?

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Hinchu posted:

I think the lighting doesn't pop. It's hard to see into the cell. If it were my scene I would make the window a brighter blue, and then have the moonlight obviously shining into the room. Squint your eyes and see how the room reads. That'll blend all of the values together to show how they react. The bars are so bright that they dominate the scene. If you look up the artist Gustave Dore you can see how he uses light and dark to make scenes dark.

One way to do that would be to make the bars really dark, and then the interior a lot brighter. You could even add blue rim lighting as if it's shining from the window, and then a soft yellowish fill on them to make them distinct. Lighting is about creating a mood and effect rather than just straight out doing what could possibly be realistic.

Also I've noticed this a lot but your images always feel fairly blurry as if there is a lot of compression is going on.

What kind of lighting are you using on this scene?

Edit: Short answer on the way Gustave Dore uses dark and light. Dark is in the foreground and light is in the background making for a really dramatic pop. See some of his stuff to really experience it though. PM or IM me if you want me to send you a zip of his images.

Thanks for the great advice! I appreciate it.

Here's an update with my attempt to put those words into practice.

Edit: Altered the render a bit.

spottedfeces fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 1, 2009

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Gromit posted:

How does the water get from the cistern to the pan?

Underground pipes? I'll admit I kinda fudged that part, since all the pictures I could find were from the front, so I just guessed. I take it when it's that kind of toilet the pipe attachs directly to the john?

Edit: I just google image searched cistern and pan, and it turns out that it does. I guess it would have been easier if I knew the technical terms like cistern and pan. Anyway, I'll fix that now. Thanks for pointing that out!

spottedfeces fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 2, 2009

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Gromit posted:

Hey, no problem. I don't like to be super picky on things (who am I kidding?) but that stood out. And you got to learn ancient crapper topology, so it's been a huge win for you. :)

Well now I know. Hurray for knowledge!

Here's the next one I started.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Texture Update:

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

International Log posted:

Better, but:

The field of view is huge, make it smaller (like 55-65 degrees), now you have 2 big empty areas on the left and right side of your image. Make the doorstills a lot thinner too, unless you're going for somekind of style.

BonoMan posted:

Couple of things. It looks like a model. This is due to inappropriate use of DoF and size of details. The carpet texture is way too large in its tiling. The print should be smaller. It appears like a swath of real carpet was put in a model building.

The cup/water tank is fine but everything else just appears a little too oversized which makes it appear model like again.

Also need to up the photon count or whatever so the walls will be smoother.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the tips, and I tried to implement the things you said into my project.

Here's a quick render I did to see what people thought before I did a final, high rez render.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

SynthOrange posted:

Something is still quite off about the scale in it. Try setting the camera at eye level and see if it helps, because right now it's hard to get any sense of height on the bench and the low angle just distorts the view a lot.

Here's a boring ol' perspective view of it. If there's something wrong with the scale, it's from the camera lense I set up to get the view I wanted, since the scale looks fine in this shot. I'll fiddle with it some more so that the scale looks less weird.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Okay here's another render, so you guys can tell me my scale is off again.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
A new fun and exciting project I've started:

This is just the basic model with a light thrown in.

And this is sort of the jist of the lighting that I'll be going for in the finished product. It of course needs a lot of work:

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Here's an update with a few textures thrown on, with the same lighting set-ups as in the last post.

The checkered areas haven't been unwrapped yet; that's why they look wonky. Yes, I stole an Iggy Pop poster.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Another texture update:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

I fiddled with the lighting a wee bit too, but I still don't like it.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

-A n i m 8- posted:

Just got this scary email:

Hi -Anim8-,

I just saw your site and see that you are a graphics artist but I could not see if you use 3DS Max. I am looking for 3DS Max artists available for freelance work. We are looking for 3DS Max artists who can work on-site in the Riverside area and specifically using 3DS Max and After Effects doing modeling, lighting, compositing, etc. We are a branch of the Church of Scientology and do the audio and visual productions. If you are available, you can email me or call myself or Charlotte at 323 960 3569 at anytime.

Your work is definitely impressive and I see that you are a Character Animator but possibly you do other things as well.

Thank you.
Eve

Working for the Scientologists? Maybe they need you for the next Battlefield Earth movie. It could be your big break into obscurity.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
All right guys, time to tell me what you think. One higher rez, the rest smaller.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Thanks to alla y'all. You helped me make some real progress. Especially Kirby, your advice and spiffy diagram really helped me out.

Here's some more renders.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
I think the fact that it's got round eyeballs that fill out its sockets perfectly is what's making it look human to me. I do like the nut irises though.

I got a new project, as I'm sure you're all thrilled to hear, and I'm working on the composition and lighting.

Here are some screens:

That thing on the door is painted on (poorly) just to show where that light will be coming from.

And here is a video:
http://www.vimeo.com/5672811

How am I doing so far?

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Unexpected EOF posted:

I have to design a semi-large crowd of people (see: 20-30, about half that being in enough detail to see clearly) and I was wondering if there was a cheap and easy way to have a semi distinct crowd. Time is a serious factor here.

I was perusing some tutorials today, and saw one that said how to do crowds. I wasn't looking to make one, but apparently you are, so here's the tutorial.

http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/maya/crowd/

I have no idea how well it works since I really only just saw it today, but it seems simple and quick enough. If it works, it works. If not, well I tried.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

It's coming along. Sorry about the global illumination spots, I'm sure they'll get fixed somewhere along the line.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Anyone know why these black spots:

are showing up on these reflective surfaces?

I'm using Maya and Mental Ray.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
http://vimeo.com/13792818

Finished Operating Room! Thanks to everyone for your help! The advice given trimmed the black flecks down some, but in the end I had to go over each frame in photoshop to cover it up. It was tedious but it got the job done to a satisfactory level.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Here's a blocking of my next project.

http://vimeo.com/15476388

Diablo-y style church. It's gonna be fun.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

Should be sleeping posted:

Looks nice. Maybe also have a shot that's at eye level as well. You have some nice church-like vertical structures going on, and I think you might be missing out on how imposing a church can be by having your camera that high. If you confined your viewer to the center aisle as you pulled back, you would get that Gothic effect of cathedrals, where it's meant to feel like you're there to be at the foot of God looking up.

Just a thought :D

Thanks for the tip. I tried incorporating it into my second run-through of this. Let me know if you think it's better, worse, or about the same.

Take 2: http://vimeo.com/15511926

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Progress on my church that I haven't touched in months. Hopefully I can get a good momentum going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
The weird little guy in the centre is just the blocked out version, and will eventually (hopefully) look like a person. Still need to texture as well.