Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MRI chalk
Oct 22, 2005

by Peatpot

Nonsense posted:

i remember the gbs thread about diamonds, and people really hated the idea of people not buying diamonds for their ladies because it meant you were cheap. when people explained why de beers is evil, I still remember a lot of people coming up with the usual. I WILL BUY WHAT I WANT, ITS MY MONEY

diamonds are one of those horrible gbs topics alongside feminism, drunk driving, and p much every other topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mylakovich
Feb 25, 2008

Now more Modern
than ever before!

Nonsense posted:

i remember the gbs thread about diamonds, and people really hated the idea of people not buying diamonds for their ladies because it meant you were cheap. when people explained why de beers is evil, I still remember a lot of people coming up with the usual. I WILL BUY WHAT I WANT, ITS MY MONEY

How is GBS so routinely terrible? List factors, causes, anecdotes thanks in advance

REO Teabaggin
May 13, 2008

a more perfect union
I'm also going to go with Monsanto.

Entire communities' agriculturally-tied economies are hosed by Monsanto. And the health and ecological implications of a lot of what they do is not even yet known.

sammythemc
Jan 14, 2008

Sullen Child Hitler

Kauka posted:

coca cola, there are coca cola vending machines in african villages that don't have clean water

do they at least dispense dasani

MRI chalk
Oct 22, 2005

by Peatpot

sammythemc posted:

do they at least dispense dasani

dasani is unclean water

autopsy-turvey
May 3, 2002

Arouse the masses and overcome the obstruction of rightist deviation!
america inc

LS!
Oct 18, 2002

by Fragmaster

Mylakovich posted:

How is GBS so routinely terrible? List factors, causes, anecdotes thanks in advance

its demographic makeup is primarily 15 year old dorks, college-age libertarians and 45 year old shut ins

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

nestles pretty bad too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestle#Controversy_Regarding_Nestl.C3.A9

blood chocolate

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Xephero posted:

it's bayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg-52mHIjhs

it's so loving bayer look at this loving poo poo

gently caress bayer

Alright which one of you posted the comments about colloidal silver own up

WORST POSTER EVER
Nov 25, 2007

yeh its a real fucken beard mate i grew it for space
nestle is pretty lovely but the bayer thing blew my loving mind

e: beaten by seconds

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mylakovich posted:

i would love to do this, but it will require at least an entirely new wikipedia site.

Simon Magus Says
Jun 30, 2006
Bechtel, the answer is Bechtel. The fact that the corporation responsible for the Big Dig, the post invasion reconstruction of Iraq, and the Katrina cleanup can still be turning a multi-billion dollar profit every year is a testament to how many Americans don't give a gently caress and don't care to ever give a gently caress.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

part of me just cant believe that bayer thing is true, because like... if its true... and people know about it... why hasnt anyone done anything about it

if i wanted to do something about it, what should i do

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

gullibilityindex posted:

nestle is pretty lovely but the bayer thing blew my loving mind

e: beaten by seconds

yeah suddenly after watching that video i dont feel as guilty for not getting vaccinations recently

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

cams posted:

part of me just cant believe that bayer thing is true, because like... if its true... and people know about it... why hasnt anyone done anything about it

if i wanted to do something about it, what should i do

thats what i thought too, im just thinking "how can they get away with this?"

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
oh, turns out that bayer thing was like 20-30 years ago. man.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

sugary posted:

oh, turns out that bayer thing was like 20-30 years ago. man.
so did anyone ever do anything about it

some banned jerk
Sep 30, 2004
No, I'm sorry it's Blackwater.

They simultaneously employ their workers as contractors and salarymen so they can avoid any responsibility for their actions while retaining complete control over what they do. Blackwater's contracts routinely include clauses such as :

1) If you defy a direct order for any reason you will be abruptly terminated and Blackwater will withhold all back salary and sue your family into oblivion.
2) If you die or are injured on a mission due to the negligence of Blackwater you can't sue them. If you sue them, they will withhold all your back salary and bring legal action against you and your family.
3) You can be terminated for any reason whatsoever and if you sue they for wrongful dismissal they will withhold all your back salary and bring legal action against you and your family.

Basically, their contracting system holds you in a state of legal servitude until you quit, and if you have a problem with Blackwater they will sue you until the problem goes away. Who remembers this picture:

Right, those are two Blackwater contractors who drove through the middle of Fallujah in a jeep and got murdered. Turns out their superiors at Blackwater ordered them to do the run, even though they objected, and the US Army deemed it "operationally dangerous" and refused to allow soldiers to enter. Blackwater also failed to provide a heavy gunner who was promised to the men to safeguard their trip. As a result, and the fact they couldn't refuse the order without bankrupting themselves and their families, they ended up like that.

Naturally, when this came to light, the families of the men were upset because Blackwater failed to adequately safeguard the lives of its men and openly lied to them about the working conditions. They opened legal action against Blackwater for negligence and wrongful death. In reply, Blackwater refused to release their dead husbands back wages (some collected during the run they died doing) and filed suit for breach of contract and a bunch of other legal mumbo-jumbo like the cost of their defense and poo poo.

As a result, they pointlessly lost their husbands due to corporate negligence, have not been paid the monies owed them, and are being sued to the tune of millions for holding the company to account for its failures.

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

quote:

In 1997, Bayer and the other three makers agreed to pay $660 million to settle cases on behalf of more than 6,000 hemophiliacs infected in United States in the early 1980s, paying an estimated $100,000 to each infected hemophiliac.[2][4][8][9]

Soon after the settlement, because the New York state statute of limitations required people to file a lawsuit within three years of discovering an illness, New York Governor George Pataki signed a bill allowing people infected by blood products, or their survivors, two years to bring product liability suits against the manufacturers.[9] The settled class members are barred from filing suits against the companies, however the bill allowed an estimated additional 75 eligible to file suits.[9]

edit: didn't see anything about paying damages to the other countries yet

LS!
Oct 18, 2002

by Fragmaster
you could not buy any bayer products that's a start

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
$660 million. christ. after something like this im just amazed the company still loving exists. it's just totally unacceptable for that to happen.

LS!
Oct 18, 2002

by Fragmaster

Hemogoblin! posted:

They simultaneously employ their workers as contractors and salarymen so they can avoid any responsibility for their actions while retaining complete control over what they do. Blackwater's contracts routinely include clauses such as :

1) If you defy a direct order for any reason you will be abruptly terminated and Blackwater will withhold all back salary and sue your family into oblivion.
2) If you die or are injured on a mission due to the negligence of Blackwater you can't sue them. If you sue them, they will withhold all your back salary and bring legal action against you and your family.
3) You can be terminated for any reason whatsoever and if you sue they for wrongful dismissal they will withhold all your back salary and bring legal action against you and your family.

Basically, their contracting system holds you in a state of legal servitude until you quit, and if you have a problem with Blackwater they will sue you until the problem goes away. Who remembers this picture:

Right, those are two Blackwater contractors who drove through the middle of Fallujah in a jeep and got murdered. Turns out their superiors at Blackwater ordered them to do the run, even though they objected, and the US Army deemed it "operationally dangerous" and refused to allow soldiers to enter. Blackwater also failed to provide a heavy gunner who was promised to the men to safeguard their trip. As a result, and the fact they couldn't refuse the order without bankrupting themselves and their families, they ended up like that.

Naturally, when this came to light, the families of the men were upset because Blackwater failed to adequately safeguard the lives of its men and openly lied to them about the working conditions. They opened legal action against Blackwater for negligence and wrongful death. In reply, Blackwater refused to release their dead husbands back wages (some collected during the run they died doing) and filed suit for breach of contract and a bunch of other legal mumbo-jumbo like the cost of their defense and poo poo.

As a result, they pointlessly lost their husbands due to corporate negligence, have not been paid the monies owed them, and are being sued to the tune of millions for holding the company to account for its failures.

yo also if you're not into words frontline did this amazing and infuriating piece about them http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/warriors/

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Hemogoblin! posted:

yeah, mercenary companies are mostly scum by definition

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Hemogoblin! posted:

that's pretty loving terrible but it's not as bad as deliberately infecting thousands of people with AIDS for a small profit

MRI chalk
Oct 22, 2005

by Peatpot

Hemogoblin! posted:

agh gently caress hnngg i'm choking on my own bile

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Hemogoblin! posted:

i dont like humanity any more

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
yeah so not only does everybody hate you because you're a god damned moral-less mercenary working for a disgusting company, you and your family also get hosed on back wages because you're working for said disgusting company

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

goddamn hemo

cams
Mar 28, 2003

seriously if invading aliens ever show up im joining them

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

cams posted:

seriously if invading aliens ever show up im joining them

this is ARE PLANET, you race traitor

but i would join the invading aliens if they were composed entirely of hot blue lesbian chicks, like in mass effect

hell yeah

Mylakovich
Feb 25, 2008

Now more Modern
than ever before!

sugary posted:

but i would join the invading aliens if they were composed entirely of hot blue lesbian chicks, like in mass effect

hell yeah

gently caress yea maximum paragon for alien appeasers

cams
Mar 28, 2003

sugary posted:

hell yeah
psh they have apparently mastered interplanetary travel they're better than us let em win

GyroFry
Jul 2, 2002

by mons all madden
i'm slow

Kauka
Jan 23, 2005

ja...JA!!!!jaaa

GyroFry posted:

i'm slow

drink dasani

Diagnosed
Jul 16, 2007

by Fragmaster

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

threads like this make me want to kill myself

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

LS! posted:

it's funny because now diamond companies are telling people it's the flaws in natural diamonds that make them valuable

and yet they still want you to get an internally flawless diamond, or as close to it as you can, because if you don't get your GF the perfect diamond you obviously dont love her :cool:

Nonsense posted:

who are these artificial diamond manufacturers? I will support them with my bleeding heart dollars

Apollo Diamonds (http://www.apollodiamond.com/) and Gemesis ([url]http://www.gemesis.com/[/url)

right now Apollo diamonds cost as much as the real ones and Gemesis only does colored fancies, and i consider them both pussies because they make micro-inscriptions on their diamonds that state they're made by man

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Hemogoblin! posted:

Post this in GBS so we can read about how they should have read the contract more closely and it's their own personal responsibility.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MRI chalk posted:

diamonds are one of those horrible gbs topics alongside feminism, drunk driving, and p much every other topic

wait does gbs defend drunk driving or what

I know fraternite does but I've never seen a gbs thread about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl
It's kind of hard to care about Blackwater being evil to its own employees when said employees are, you know, Blackwater mercenaries.

Reminder that the only reason anyone joins Blackwater is so that they can get paid lots of money for committing war crimes the US government wants plausible deniability for; this is literally the only reason Blackwater exists as a significant entity

The Bayer thing is some serious 80s science fiction movie evil poo poo