Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl
It's kind of hard to care about Blackwater being evil to its own employees when said employees are, you know, Blackwater mercenaries.

Reminder that the only reason anyone joins Blackwater is so that they can get paid lots of money for committing war crimes the US government wants plausible deniability for; this is literally the only reason Blackwater exists as a significant entity

The Bayer thing is some serious 80s science fiction movie evil poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Kauka posted:

i dont remember all the details but i remember reading about how shell pressed charges against 14 african protesters who disturbed the production of a plant shell owned or something. all 14 were executed after pressure from shell in order to scare off other protesters.

Nigeria, probably

Dudes owned the country for years, and pretty much had entire tribes wiped out or scattered across the country whenever there turned out to be an oilfield under their land.

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Larva posted:

these plants cannot reproduce

it is a danger that they will reproduce with normal plants and make the land suitable for neither man nor beast

am I missing something?

Most engineered sterile breeds are not 100% sterile, they just have extremely low seed yields or something like that - like signficantly less than one seed per plant, 99.9999whatever percent of their pollen don't fertilize right, whatever. Guess if you want a quick example see how many seedless watermelons at the grocery store are actually completely seedless.

Huge farms of terminator plants cross-pollinate with whatever in the local flora may be compatible, who knows, outcompete the normal plants because in serious agricultural zones we're talking thousands and thousands of farming plants in a concentrated area, end result a big percentage of the next generation of the native plants turn out semisterile hybrids and the viable population takes a dive, which will continue every year the farmers use terminator crops until the species is extinct

Which is all kinda funny because Monsanto used the original public panic about fertile GM crops crossbreeding with/outcompeting and loving up native species to get away with terminator strains.

It's kinda a reach as a hypothetical, but so was genetically modified feedstock giving people mutations or whatever the gently caress Europe was absolutely flipping its poo poo about for years. And it's worth being careful about since there's hardly a place on the planet that hasn't been totally trashed by white people being careless about the environmental impact of their shiny new toys. Just not to the hysterical shrieking extremes people always seem to drive anything biotech-related to, which mostly has the effect of associating any attempt at placing ethical restraints on the industry with fundies ranting about God's plan and OH GOD GENES hippies misquoting The Island of Doctor Moreau.

Some Internet Guy fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 23, 2008

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER posted:

holy motherfucking poo poo Smithfield is evil beyond comprehension

http://www.ufcw.org/working_america...ms_in_the_Plant

edit for more:

The corporate police force thing is actually really common FYI, and a lot of times they boil down to private armies. Smithfield's is nothing - poo poo, lots of shopping malls have their own onsite holding cells and armed rentacops. IIRC, in California it used to be really common for all kinds of sleazeballs to start up rail companies because CA law gives railroad security agencies all the powers of a real police force, including legal access to machine guns and other restricted heavy weaponry, with next to no oversight or standards.

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Necc0 posted:

I don't think any person ever thinks what they're doing is wrong, so I'd love to hear how the people responsible for these atrocities justify what they did.

Not happening to anyone they know personally; clearly just lies and exaggerations concocted by extremists who are out to hurt them personally.

People pretty much go into denial about the inconvenient consequences of their actions unless they're really into moral rigor or have them shoved in their face all the time. If you're skilful enough to have gotten to the head of a business convincing others and yourself of the reality that's most personally advantageous and rationalizing away inconvenient facts has long become second nature.

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

schnitzelburger posted:

Wow. We needed government regulation of corporations before, now they seem to be too all-powerful. What can be done? LF, what can we do? I planted a garden this year but seriously, me eating only my own tomatoes is one person. It is nothing, a speck.

There's been ecological collapse on smaller scales in human history. IIRC, Easter Island was dense forest until its people cut down everything to make canoes. They wiped out the ecosystem because the trees couldn't grow back fast enough. (I could be wrong so correct me if you know better.) If so, we're doing this on a global scale and quite simply we're going to wipe ourselves out.

What the gently caress do we do.

Be rich and powerful

When things start to go bad you will be able to hoard a disproportionate share of the world's dwindling material comforts and security, you will find yourself welcome in all those corners of the world where life is still good, and should civilization ever truly falls you can expend your people and goods in order to ensure that it will be you and yours who survive and rebuild from the ashes.

Be one of the guys who caused the problem in the first place, and everything will turn out just fine. Otherwise you're hosed.

That or face up to the fact that the world is not going to end suddenly and catastrophically because industrialists are evil, it's just going to gradually get a little bit worse forever, you big babby.

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

schnitzelburger posted:

Yeah, pretty much. My guilt is massive, I work in the diamond industry.

But can any of us honestly think of something we can do other than become unheard protesters (which loving sucks) or voting for a different congressman because they "care about the environment" or some other bullshit? Because I can't think of anything.

Stop dicking about working for murderers while imagining you're socially responsible for engaging in daydreams of cathartic global apocalypse, if you don't care enough to dedicate your life towards making the world a better place at least don't buy lovely products from lovely people who are making everyone's lives lovely?

I dunno, man, doesn't seem all that challenging to me, but then my range of responses to problems doesn't stop at 'whine and continue perpetuating the problem until someone else fixes things for me'.

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl
FYI you can live very comfortably never buying anything from any company listed thus far, and if you're indulging in stupid genocide fantasies about how we will all be purged for our evil capitalist ways without making any effort to shop locally or cut back on consumption of inherently destructive products (say, oil, where no company is non-evil) you are an enormous oval office and morally equivalent to any greasy executive authorizing policies that will lead to the deaths of thousands because he just doesn't give a gently caress.

This is the absolute minimum amount of effort any person living above the poverty line can exert towards not being completely vile.

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Sargs posted:

Excuse me, but who can I buy saltpetre and opium from, if not for the East India Company?

Local-grown organic opium from your neighborhood hippie druglord lacks some of the quality of the Turkish strains but is conflict-free and supports small business :)

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl
It'd be pretty sweet to establish some broader version of the local-foods movements that are getting popular to cover other fields; probably too much to ask that you get a generic pharmaceuticals factory in every city or anything like that but shop equipment, warehouses, and people with basic manufacturing skills are all dirt cheap, with the help of a little volunteer work from young activists and the like it wouldn't be terribly unfeasible to create a line of small-scale 'clean' factories producing pretty much any consumer good from lightbulbs to cars to power. Keep it linked to the greenies and counterculture, and you've got a market that'll be willing to pay a little more for products that don't come from some amoral conglomerate. And making regional economic independence a little more feasible would provide a great platform for all kinds of local grassroots reform movements and social change.

Be a lot more practical than waiting for the Second Coming of Marx to usher in the glorious Revolution at least.

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

schnitzelburger posted:

I do what I can, but what I can do seems insignificant. Bitching at me isn't helping anything, I am trying to see what other ideas people may have. Activism is a good step. Not buying from these corporations is a good step. What do you do that I can incorporate into my life to also try and help the 'situation'? Or do I need to compile a list of "good person values" so you can direct your internet rage to a more appropriate audience?

Ok I'm done with this derail. I'm going to DIY do or die to figure out how to compost.

You work for a loving diamond company, then come in here and jerk off all over our faces about your sick little private survivalist fantasy of jobs like yours getting everyone killed. And then act all helpless before the inevitable apocalypse because activism is too boring or something I guess and writing a letter to your loving congressman and leaving it at that does not magically solve everything, oh but I'm trying to change boss really if only somebody would tip me off as to what I need to do I'd save the world no for serious.

Do gently caress off.

Some Internet Guy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 25, 2008

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

schnitzelburger posted:

Why no PM? I guess you do need a list. Obviously I'm looking for a better job, mr. eco-warrior sir, but I'm not going to stop paying my bills for my measly less than 30,000 a year because I work for a company that supports the diamond trade.

I guess the only way to settle this is to whip out our sexy carbon footprints and compare.

So what part of my post did you read as "please give me more lame excuses why you don't do anything, they are fascinating and just as good as actual accomplishments"? I'd really like to know, I feel it'd be a key insight into how you people think.

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

s0j posted:

i can't possibly think of living any sort of lifestyle that requires a 700k salary that wouldn't make me feel like a total jackass

Pretty much continuous blowjobs

Trust me, you wouldn't be worrying about what a jackass you were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Internet Guy
Oct 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Modern microstates don't function