Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WORST POSTER EVER
Nov 25, 2007

yeh its a real fucken beard mate i grew it for space
nestle is pretty lovely but the bayer thing blew my loving mind

e: beaten by seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WORST POSTER EVER
Nov 25, 2007

Kauka posted:

nothing, actually it keeps footfungus away

btw read the wikipedia article on Bayer, they've done a lot more wicked poo poo since the bloodthing

sometimes when you check out the wiki articles on these companies you can catch corporate whitewash edits that last for a few hours or days at a time

WORST POSTER EVER
Nov 25, 2007

I found the song for the thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV3SHBFyDZM

WORST POSTER EVER
Nov 25, 2007

Hemogoblin! posted:

Notso much with coral bleaching — which is much more widespread and dangerous:
Chiefly caused by global warming, created by man-made emissions, coral bleaching occurs when temperature rises in the ocean kill off the algae that inhabit coral. These dense, lush environments, rich with animal and plant life go from this:

to this:

Lifeless, dead, devoid of animals or plants. Some of the richest fishing grounds in the world, and large parts of the oceans' biodiversity are at risk from this effect.

You think that's bad, you may not want to hear about ocean acidification.

The ocean is one of the largest carbon sinks in the world. About one-third of all the CO2 we put into the atmosphere is absorbed by it, delaying global warming. However, this comes at a cost: the pH of the ocean is decreasing at an incredibly alarming rate.

Now, a few years ago, U.S., Japan and Germany started looking into pumping liquified waste carbon from power generation directly into the ocean, to prevent it from reaching the atmosphere. The first small-scale tests they performed in aquariums were very startling: snails and crabs were dissolving practically before their eyes. CO2 in water forms carbonic acid, which breaks down into hydrogen ions and bicarbonate. Free hydrogen ions combine with carbonate ions in the water to produce more bicarbonate. Carbonate ions are required by every organism that creates calcified shells/exoskeletons. We're talking all crustaceans, most mollusks, hundreds of kinds of phyto- and zooplankton, and coral.

Results:

Economic: Commercial fishing will not exist in 50 years. Flat out, WILL NOT EXIST. Almost all commercial fish rely on calciferous plankton, without them, they will not survive. All coastal communities worldwide who subsist on fishing will be unable to survive, we're talking hundreds of millions of people.

Ecological: We're talking about a change in the ecology of the ocean unseen for hundreds of millions of years. As best humanity can determine, the oceans have never been affected this quickly by anything before. The corals will die, and then the fish will die, and almost nothing short of a massive shift in human activity will change this. We're looking at oceanic extinction on the level of the big one, 250 million years ago, that killed off 90% of all marine life.

Some choice quotes from a panel of marine scientists four months ago:
"We're entering a new geologic era."
"We talk about it calmly in a way that's not appropriate for the scale of what we are doing."
"Society right now is not willing to pay the tab for a lot of things... we are inflicting these changes and all this chaos on those who will come later."

http://oceanacidification.wordpress.com/
http://www.ocean-acidification.net/

I feel bad for anyone with kids right now

WORST POSTER EVER
Nov 25, 2007

Necc0 posted:

Does anyone have enough information to start a feel-good version of this thread? Like how the CEO of the Red Cross has a salary of 700k or something.

how is that in any way 'feel good'

WORST POSTER EVER
Nov 25, 2007

Necc0 posted:

For a company as large as the Red Cross that's not much.

just because modern ceo salaries are absurd doesn't mean seven hundred goddamn thousand dollars isn't excessive for the ceo of a publicly funded charity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WORST POSTER EVER
Nov 25, 2007

Necc0 posted:

well go find some CEO's who are more deserving of praise and make a thread so that we all can gain a little more faith in humanity.

man you aint gonna regain faith in humanity trying to find 'good' ceos

only way you gain a little more faith in humanity is cute pics of animals