Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slackarius
Jul 30, 2006
Master of Slackery

Pardot posted:

Even if every episode of Six Feet Under was poo poo, it would be worth watching all of them just to see the last part of the finale. Best ending of any show.

Luckily the show itself is was very well done. Probably the best TV drama series I've ever watched, definitely the only one that I've ever really cared about the characters. Which is probably why the last few episodes were just so jaw-droppingly awesome.

Think I'm going to give Deadwood a try, heard a lot of good things about it, westerns aren't normally my thing. But hey, what's the worst that could happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I just finished Californication and enjoyed it for the most part. The ending didn't totally sit right with me, but there was more then enough in the show to make up for it. I think I'm gonna start up Weeds now.

I'm surprised at all of these great shows that have just sprung up on Showtime.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My boss finally convinced me to start watching Lost on ABC.com. I was skeptical at first, since I don't typically watch a lot of TV, but now I am absolutely hooked. This show is loving amazing (as Bivens or Doctor Roosevelt can attest to since I keep IM'ing them to tell them how amazing it is).

Also, I borrowed Season 1 of The Sopranos from a friend, and I'm really digging it. I love mob movies, and this show stands with the best of them. I'm definitely buying the big box set when it comes out.

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006
Went through season 5 and 6 of The Shield, the wait for season 7 is going to be tough but atleast it won't be as long as it was waiting for season 6 part 2 of the Sopranos.

McHuman Deluxe
Dec 11, 2004

just the tip...just to see how it feels

Orvin posted:

I just noticed that the entire first season of Mad Men just showed up on Comcast On-Demand. I caught it in repeats, but missed the very last episode of the season, so I had been keeping an eye out for it.

I just watched the entire first season on demand a few days ago and I loved the hell out of it. Donald Draper is a cool motherfucker.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I just finished Malcolm in the Middle - it really is a very good show that stays at a surprisingly consistent level of quality all the way through. What really strikes me about the show is how it's a family show that has something to offer for pretty much every age group, and everybody who has a family can identify with at least one character. Also Brian Cranston and Jane Kaczmarek are absolutely amazing, possibly the best comedic acting over a series I have ever seen.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Nate RFB posted:

Season 5 of The Shield is very, very good...but, I don't know, it's almost a bit too unsettling. The pacing, the writing, the acting, all of it is excellent. But I think the ending and overall theme just hit me a bit too hard. I needed a major break after that because I just felt so drained. I can barely bring myself to watch season 6.

Go ahead and blast through season 6 because nothing really dramatic happens. I'm not sure it's possible to top season 5 anyway.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Smorgasbord posted:

I just finished Malcolm in the Middle - it really is a very good show that stays at a surprisingly consistent level of quality all the way through. What really strikes me about the show is how it's a family show that has something to offer for pretty much every age group, and everybody who has a family can identify with at least one character. Also Brian Cranston and Jane Kaczmarek are absolutely amazing, possibly the best comedic acting over a series I have ever seen.

I completely agree, MITM used to be the staple of my Sunday nights (UK goon) and it really is a complete and utter loving mystery to me how it kept losing Emmys to loving Everybody Loves Raymond. The fact that Brian Cranston never won one is complete madness.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
The first three discs of season 4 of The Wire arrive today. I really enjoyed The Wire's first three seasons and everyone keeps saying season 4 is the best so I'm looking forward to it. It's been over a year since I saw the first three, though, so I'm a little worried about being lost as to what's going on because I barely remember it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I accidentally caught an early episode of The West Wing. That show is like a drug to me, I'm completely hooked again and have embarked on yet another watch-through. I may skip series 5 and 6 this time though.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster
So I've gone through Scrubs now and I'm searching for something new, any suggestions?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

From this thread, I just burned through Mad Men over a week or so. Great show, but watching it episode by episode for season 2 will be hard.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Blazed through How I Met Your Mother.
Awesome show, great characters and leads and exceptionnally good jokes.
It would be a huge pop-culture hit if it was on NBC.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just started Mad Men last night, it's on Comcast OnDemand if anyone else is interested. It is really good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I devoured Paranoia Agent in about 24 hours. Absolutely amazing show, the best anime I've ever seen.

Aside from that, still working my way through Mad Men, and the Twin Peaks gold set should be arriving any day now. I also leant my friend the first season of How I Met Your Mother a few days ago, and he finished it last night.

Groundbase
May 26, 2006

I just finished watching Weeds, and while it started out ok I have to say I ended up hating all of the characters except Doug and Andy by the end of it. I'm starting Battlestar Galactica now and I hope it'll be better.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Annakie posted:

The first three discs of season 4 of The Wire arrive today. I really enjoyed The Wire's first three seasons and everyone keeps saying season 4 is the best so I'm looking forward to it. It's been over a year since I saw the first three, though, so I'm a little worried about being lost as to what's going on because I barely remember it.

The first disc has a 3 season recap. :c00l:

Groundbase posted:

I just finished watching Weeds, and while it started out ok I have to say I ended up hating all of the characters except Doug and Andy by the end of it.

I just finished this today no less, and while I can understand what you mean I thought it got a lot better by the end. Sure the characters are nihilistic, and by the fifth time someone tries to blackmail Nancy you feel like rolling your eyes- but it's all a part of the charm of the show. Andy is probably the best character on the show and 'saved' it, and made me keep watching.

RustySporkinmyI
Jan 29, 2006
Morbo can't understand his teleprompter. He forgot how you say that letter that looks like a man with a hat.
So I was going through my moms dvds and she bought first 5 seasons of the shield. In a week I am halfway through season 2 and so far it has been amazing. Season one was good but so far season 2 has topped it in every way possible. I was speechless at the end of the second episode. With the grill, that was so brutal

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video
I'm also working through The Wire. I'm four episodes into season 5. Season 4 really was the best.

Next up, I'll either go with The Office or Oz. After those two, probably Six Feet Under.

But The Wire... god drat, that show is amazing.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

I just went through the first 3 series of The Wire. I thought they were all great. I've heard people saying series 4 is the best, but I really can't see how it could top the first 3, especially considering how well series 3 rapped everything up

If it's got more Omar though...

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Just started season 2 of Six Feet Under and we are enjoying it quite a bit. Before that we plowed through Arrested Development which is now one of my all time favorite shows.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I just finished Californication. The season finale was kind of a copout but I'm interested to see if they have Karen figure out that the book was his, and also that it was based from personal experience, I don't see how she won't seeing as how Charlie figured it out in an instant and now I'm watching.... Fastlane. It's cheesy but fun DONT JUDGE ME OK?!?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Mad Men

Started Season 1 around 4 PM and didn't get done until 5AM

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Well I finally finished Six Feet Under. I moved the final two discs after Nate collapsed as the last episode of the 3rd disc. God drat what a great last few episodes. Those few episodes made the entire series. The ending was also perfect. Now I have to find a new show to watch.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
I stumbled upon ReGenesis at hulu and now I'm already on the second season. It starts off slow but once Ellen "I Act By Wincing My Face" Page leaves the show after the first half of the first season, it picks up and gets a LOT better.

Edit: I guess I could best describe it as House meets 24 in Canada.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 9, 2008

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster
Plenty of great shows are getting out on dvd in the next couple of months, but now I've mostly been going through the first season of Prison Break. I never gave it a chance before because... I don't know why, really. I thought it looked interesting but I just could never muster up the energy to give it a try. Well now I'm watching episode 11 and I'm really really digging it. It's really the perfect kind of show to watch while working out.

After I'm done with it (though sadly I heard that the last(s) seasons were pretty bad and ridiculous) I'm going to go through a Shields marathon again because the last season is starting very soon. Then Pushing Daisies or Chuck, whichever I end up buying first.

Yay for downtime at work

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Against my own advice, I'm going through X-Files again. I know I'm gonna lose interest when Doggett shows up, but as for right now, I'm still enjoying it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Anorak Revolution posted:

After I'm done with it (though sadly I heard that the last(s) seasons were pretty bad and ridiculous)

Opinion varies. While it does get a bit crazy in the next two seasons, I wouldn't call it "bad". I found season two a big step up over season one's repetitiveness.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
Seinfeld. Pretty much all of it. My dad has the whole series and my girlfriend and I have been going through the whole thing. While it's on TV all the goddamn time and I've seen countless episodes of it I kind of just want to watch it straight through picking up ones I've never seen along the way. Watching the first two seasons was awesome since I never really saw any of them and wrote them off as being possibly terrible for some reason.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I've been binging through The Wire and Entourage, both for the first time. The contrast actually works out pretty well.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Slackarius posted:

Think I'm going to give Deadwood a try, heard a lot of good things about it, westerns aren't normally my thing. But hey, what's the worst that could happen?

The worst that could happen is you enjoy it all the way through to the end of season 3 only to be gazing at the long, unyielding middle finger of HBO.

And to everyone watching The Wire, be so glad that it didn't get canceled and got to have an ending, because everyone needs to watch that show.

Going through Angel right now and Battlestar Season 3 should be arriving sometime.

Oh, and the Men in Black animated series--the animation is horrible, but the stories are neat.

FatLittleFatDog
May 6, 2007
Rotund and Small
Great shows to watch in binge fashion:

First: The Wire - it's better than the hype. If you don't like it halfway through season 1, I do not understand you.

Other quality shows: Dexter, Weeds (quality deteriorates in 3rd season), Six Feet Under

Comedies - Arrested Development (also better than the hype), Curb Your Enthusiasm (6th season is so amazing!), The Office (both), 30 Rock (seriously, by the end of the 2nd season I'm convinced it's the funniest show still on TV)

Teenish shows - Freaks and Geeks (this is a MUST SEE for all), My So-Called Life (stick with it- this show really tested my patience at first but by the end I was very glad I stuck with it), Undeclared (about 10% as good as F&G but it's still the apatow crew), the wonder years, THE ADVENTURES OF PETE AND PETE, hells yes.

Lesser known recommendations - Twin Peaks (I was too young to have heard of it, it's the most unique and fascinating thing I've ever seen come out of the world of television), Breaking Bad (Incredible! You'll be hearing lots about this soon enough. Superficially similar to Dexter or Weeds but more subtle)

I'd also like to express my disappointment for the Sopranos and my disgust with nip/tuck.

Backstage Larry
Sep 20, 2004

"Unless you consider worlds coolest daddy a job."
Recently I powered through Mad Men (fantastic!) and Black Books (hilarious!) Right now I have season 1 of Rome but I can't get motivated to watch it and I think i'll try the Sheild next.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rome is loving awesome. Stick with it.

MadManiac
Jun 17, 2008
My first TV DVD collection was House and I burned through three seasons in three weeks. I really need to get season 4.

I love going through the Looney Tunes Golden Collection just looking at all the art. The best ones are the old wartime cartoons.

Bought Dexter season 1 hearing it was good, and watched it in two days. Luckily for me season 2 came out next week and I had to restrain myself from watching it all in one day.

I love It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and am currently watching season 3 on hulu.com. God I love that website.

I have bought Arrested Development seasons 1+2 and need to watch that, and now I am really really curious about The Wire. How much does a season usually cost?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why don't you get netflix? It's much cheaper than buying every TV show. Amazon had a sale last year where each season of The Wire was like $20 but they cost much more right now.

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky
I've been powering through Battlestar Galactica myself.

I also became addicted to Greek while in Japan of all places. Why is there not a thread on it? Does no other goon watch this show?

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.
After seeing a few episodes of it on various networs, I've burned through most of Seasons 1 and 2 of the original CSI:Crime Scene Inestigation series. Though I must admit that Grissom leaving in the new season, noly to be replaced with Lawrence Fishburne makes me a little uneasy. I shall have to wait and see, though.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I just started Entourage yesterday. I hope to be done with it in time for Season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanthabar
Feb 26, 2005

Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable.
I powered through Stargate SG-1 in June and July, now I'm working on Stargate Atlantis (I had just started season 2 when it was announced that it had been canceled).

If I had more time, I'd re-watch How I Met Your Mother. I'd also like to go back and watch season 6 of The Shield, but I think I will wait until season 7 is finished and then watch all 7 seasons.