Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jayzlie
Nov 6, 2002

Thanks to being buds with the managers of a local movie theater, I got to see this tonight. To summarize in one word: Incredible.

The short animation before the film started was extremely cute, involving a magician, his magical hat, and an extremely hungry bunny. Best (and longest) short Pixar has done to date.

A lot of people were worried about the lack of dialogue in this movie, and an equal amount of people seemed to be worried about the film having too much dialogue. In the end though, they nailed it. All of the sound effects were masterfully done and as electronic as they are, they feel very human. I was kind of surprised at the music they used throughout the film, it seemed somewhat out of place at first but as the movie went on it improved quite a bit.

I couldn't help but having a giant smile on my face the *entire* movie. Maybe it was all the hype surrounding the film but I was thrilled to be watching it, every detail was crafted perfectly and Pixar really managed to capture a very wide range of emotions. Young kids will love it for the curiously clumsy robot, breath taking special effects and humorous quips here and there. Teens and 20-somethings will like all of that and will either hate or enjoy the political message; clean up the planet or Earth is hosed. The tone they used was light enough for kids but some might say it got a little heavy handed towards the end. Speaking of the end, that is really the only place where we get any dialogue and it's from the ship's captain and a robot that reminds me a bit too much of HAL.

This is a terrific date movie. About ten minutes in we follow WallE around following Eve around looking for a plant so that the fatty people aboard a giant resort type space ship can return back home.

The romantic connection between WallE and Eve is established almost immediately and we get to laugh at Wall-E trying to court Eve with his various antics and junk collection. It's a great date movie and has a lot of underlying elements that the older crowd will be able to appreciate and enjoy. Some might complain about the political message but just take the film for what it is.

There was a lot of speculation that WallE dies. This is not true, however we do get a bit of a tease at the end when he's injured from his battle with The Autopilot and Eve has to repair him.. Like any good family movie, it ends on a happy note. I recommend staying for at least the first 5 minutes of credits as it is kind of an epilogue to the film.

All in all, best movie of the summer for me-yes, including Iron Man, and I'll be seeing it again at least once.

PROS:Amazing animation and special effects, robots you can empathize with and so many "Awwwwwww" scenes that you can't help but grin.
CONS:Lack of dialogue might annoy some, can be heavy handed if you read too much into it.

Overall Rating: 5.5/5

jayzlie fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovaHunter
Mar 13, 2004

Jack Bauer is my hero.
Simply put, the cutest and most heartfelt movie I have ever seen. Instant classic, blah blah blah.

Go see this movie. You'll fall in love right away. I had a huge smile on my face the entire time, and I drat near cried a few times. The way the relationship between WALL-E and EVE is handled is terrific. Its just so real (well, for as real as a robot relationship could get).

5.5/5

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I would love for this movie to pull down at least a best picture nomination, if not the award, and I really think it's that good.

5/5

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax
This movie was amazing. I loved all of the 2001: A Space Odyssey references tucked in there.

5/5

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Best animated film I have ever seen. Also best film I've seen all year, and in a long time. It's been a long, long time since enjoyed a movie as much as wall-e.

5.5/5

numeric_atrophy
Oct 18, 2003

Download Geared - FREE
(17 Million Downloads)

Windows 8
iOS
Android
WinPhone 7
I actually thought the captain could have had less dialog. But I hate saying that, because the movie is brilliant. PERFECT. The best sci-fi film made in years. The best animated film... ever?

5 out of 5.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Wall-e is a very special movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. The film make great use of film rule "don't tell the audience, show them" that many movies fail to follow. This is largely to the fact that the movie nearly exclusively follows EVA and Wall-e who's dialog is pretty much limited to saying each others names. The comedy in this film is mostly physical and sight gags (also a result of the limited dialog).

Speaking of which, this movie did make me smile, giggle, and laugh a lot, but didn't have any moments where I was brought to tears with laughter like, say, The Incredibles. Most of the laughs simply came from Wall-e's mannerism and reactions to the events of the film.

Wall-e falling in love with EVA was comical to me in a different way because it reminded me of a socially-retarded anime nerd who gets a cute girl over at his house and feels so excited to show her all of his collected toys. Then he spends the next 2 hours trying to hold her hand.

All joking aside, the relationship between Wall-e and EVA is actually pretty cute and fun to watch.

The humans in the movie were pretty annoying, I though. But I wonder that that was the point. They are supposed to be stupid and ignorant and really play up the Wal-Mart consumer stereotype. Thank fully they are not in the film for very long at at time or very often.

All in all, Wall-e is not the best animated film I have ever seen. But it is probably the best movie of any type that I have seen all year and you owe it to yourself to see it.

Preferably with a date.

So you can hold hands.

5/5

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
This might be my new favorite Pixar movie. It's the best film I've seen this year, and probably will be the best film of the year. Hell, it's probably the best film I'll see for years to come.

I probably won't come down from the euphoria and childlike whimzy of seeing this movie for hours, if not days. This is the first film in the film dump I wish I could rate a 5.5, so it's too bad it's not there anymore.

5.5/5

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.
I honestly don't have anything to say, which for me is pretty rare. All I can come up with is... don't science nitpick. It's trying to make a point by way of hyperbole.

This may be the best love story I've seen. 5.5/5

Swiftboat Rookie
Jan 12, 2005

It's Sexin' Time!
Wow. All I can really say without going into detail. But I'll do that anyway, because what's the use of a one word review?

Not taking into account the opening short (which got a few genuine laughs out of me, by the way) the film starts off rather strangely, with an off-the-wall choice of music that becomes clear within a few minutes. It's a perfect start however, because it is decidedly not your standard summer/sci-fi/date/animated movie by any means, and it establishes that instantly with the music.

WALL-E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class) is shown going about his (yes, his) business, and you get short snippets of his personality, cleaning up humanity's ridiculous mess and passing by enough BNL displays to explain to the audience what has happened to the planet and where everyone has gone, and giving us our first peek at the real (read: live-action) humans who populated the Earth in the not-too-distant future before embarking on their "five-year" cruise. We see that countless other WALL-E units have broken down over the years, leaving him the only moving thing upon the planet aside from his pet cockroach.

The animation is simply incredible. By far the most loving CG I have ever seen, putting Pixar's previous efforts on a lower stage, and making Dreamworks' and Disney's CG films look like some animation student's final project. Not just the movement and modeling but lighting, environmental effects, camera depth and movement, etc.... simply beautiful.

After hundreds of years of doing his job (and collecting various odds and ends while finishing his nights watching an old VHS copy of Hello Dolly) another robot, EVE (Extra-terrestrial Vegetation Evaluator), arrives, and WALL-E is (almost) instantly in love. He befriends her and shows her about the city, until she finds what she's looking for, instantly goes into a lockdown mode and a ship retrieves her. WALL-E hangs on for the ride, blasting into space and eventually aboard the human space cruiser AXIOM, the home of all of Earth's human population, where he desperately tries to get EVE back while the captain begins to long for their home planet.

Fantastic physical comedy, breathtaking visuals, touching wordless interaction amongst the principal cast (except for their names, of course) and quite a few moments where I choked up and had to hold back tears. Hey, I was with the kids, who wants to see their older brother sobbing because WALL-E just wants to hold someone's hand?

While I admittedly have a soft spot for robots (I even enjoy Short Circuit and its sequel, though I can most definitely admit their shortcomings and would never dub them "great cinema") this was simply a beautiful movie that was genuine and heartfelt in my eyes. Pixar's finest achievement, quite possibly one of my most favorite movies ever made, and easily surpassing the previous summer fare despite my love of Iron Man. I didn't find its message heavy handed at all (it was the driving force of the entire plot) and didn't even mind the "sound in space" aspects, as unrealistic is it may be, and in opposition to all of the 2001 :ASO references (from HAL (visually and in terms of plot) to the music used during a dramatic moment) because I was so wrapped up in the moment.

This will be the movie to get me to upgrade to Blu-Ray upon its release, and I have a feeling that will be the same for many others.

5/5. Perfect.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

Wall-E is most definitely the must-see film of the summer and probably of the year. There are so many wonderful things about this film that I actually wanted to see this a second time. I think that the amount of character development alone is worth an oscar nomination for this film. They really nailed the interaction between EVE and WALL-E. There is an amazingly human quality to they way they interact and you can't help but care about their relationship.

spoilers:

While WALL-E is most certainly an amazing cinematic achievement, I can't help but ponder a few things that I felt were a little unresolved about this film. The first 30 minutes are pretty amazing, but I actually wanted more backstory. It went so quickly to the "main plot" of the movie and I felt I wanted to understand just a little bit more about what it's like to be a lonely robot on earth. I also think that the plot with the humans was perhaps a little bit weak. I understand what they were going for but it felt like it detracted a little bit from the overall idea of the film. I felt that there was a bit of disparity with the amazing detail level and realism of the renderings on earth as opposed to the cartoon-like quality of the human beings in the film. I guess it's pixar's trademark to a certain degree though. I actually didn't care that much about the plight of humans, because WALL-E and EVE's story was much more palpable. One more thing - I sort of wish that this film didn't have to try to be a "kid's" film. I almost feel as if the story of WALL-E and EVE could have taken to a slightly different place because as an adult - you connect with the love story.

Despite my slight nitpicks about the film, there is an unquestionably enduring quality to the overall concept to WALL-E. So many amazing accomplishments in one film. This movie tries the hardest it can to be original, which is an admirable accomplishment. The emotional impact of the animation is just great.

summary:
animation: 5.5
design and detail: 5.5
character development: 5
story: 4

in short: a solid 5

TedKoppel
Nov 30, 2002

They sure look ripe to me.
This movie was really brilliant, but it's frustrating it wasn't even moreso. The first 30-45 minutes are pure masterpiece - the best Pixar has ever done, probably. You get a beautiful story with a very dark backdrop that kids aren't going to pick up on - and one of the rewarding things about it is that it doesn't do much to fill you in on the specifics. Which makes the second half disappointingly heavy-handed, when suddenly the movie isn't so much about Wall-E and Eve as the humans, who are painted with such broad strokes it's hard to really care about them, let alone convince yourself of their motivations. Anything besides the love story should have taken a back seat, but eventually a story which is more cliched and one you don't really care that much about is supposed to be just as important to you in the second half as Wall-E and Eve. It isn't.

Which isn't to suggest that this was bad, so I'll reiterate: it was brilliant. Just not a masterpiece, and so very close.

4/5

edit: I should clarify that this is actually a 4.5 or so, I was just rounding down since you can't vote them that way anymore.

TedKoppel fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 3, 2008

cayke
Jan 1, 2008
boneless ham
While watching the movie, I knew it was amazing. I could feel myself having a good time, that said, I immediately went home and thought about certain elements that I am disappointed to say won't make me purchase the film as a DVD.

Mind you, I DID enjoy the overall film, so this is all nitpicky.

I sort of wish Wall E was given more dimension than just being some EVE fanboy. They had a moment or two where he did his own thing, and I liked that. When he took charge or showed some sign of wanting to be who he is, those were my favorite moments. The fanboy thing got slightly old/predictable. But I definitely died when they showed EVE watching the footage of Wall E protecting her, the combination of her seeming to get so emotional from watching adorable picture of Wall E and his umbrella melted my heart. The end of the film was also handled very very well, there was enough tension where I thought for just a moment that he wouldn't get his memory back.

The human element bothered me a bit. A tiny tiny bit. The message itself, global warming and technology taking over every aspect of our lives until we're completely helpless got preachy. Too preachy for a society who has to log onto MSNBC and still read about how we're all hosed, then we go to see a cute children's movie and get hit with the same concepts.

But on top of that, the humans just weren't memorable. I will always consider Finding Nemo Pixar's best because I will remember each and every one of those characters for either being determined, heartfelt, or hilarious etc. The Captain was there to help preach. We didn't know anything about him really besides what happened in that isolated period of time. I guess the point is that he and all of his citizens don't have much of a personality, but to me that does not make for a classic story.

But Pixar never fails in its creativity, never fails in its mission to bring people in with sights and sounds they've never seen or dreamed of. To not see Wall E is a huge mistake, but so is walking in determined to find it flawless.

4.5/5

cayke fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 28, 2008

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
This movie is probably the best film I have seen this year. The nonverbal communication between the robots was really drat clever (think Ratatouille.) I can't really say anything bad about this movie and have to agree with the sentiments of the other posters.

5.5/5

Animaniac
Jul 14, 2003

Take a good look at the men and women that stand next to you. Remember their faces. For one day you will tell your children that you served with such men and women.
In the running for film of the decade. Easily the best animated film ever.

5.5/5

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
One of the best movies I've seen in the past few years. The message of the film was pretty clear, but Pixar did a good job of not beating you over the head with it. They also did a great job conveying the various emotions of the robots, and MOE was definitely my favorite (anyone know what that stands for?)

5/5

Cypher
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
It's amazing how Pixar can make a box with a pair of binoculars attached to it have so many emotions. Terrific film.

5.5/5

Hot Dog Hotline
Jul 24, 2004

Hello? Hello?
An amazing film. Felt like it was only 5 minutes long. Amazing how well we can do without dialogue. So many excellent aspects to this film. Loved every minute of it. It was beautiful. 5/5

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

This movie absolutely enthralled myself, my girlfriend, and my younger sister for the entire runtime. This movie is loving awesome. 5/5.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
Hands down Pixar's best film to date. I have walked out of almost all their films thinking "That was amazing. I can't wait to see how they top it." I walked out of WALL-E thinking "that was amazing. They will never top this." The first half alone is incredibly breathtaking, it's amazing how much story Stanton and crew managed to tell with next to no dialogue (going back and watching Luxo Jr, it's actually not that amazing. They've been doing this since their first [second if you count the Lucasarts effort] film). The second half is a lot of fun, just an incredibly cute film with a real message.

This is my favorite film of the year, topping Iron Man which I thought would be just nigh-unbeatable.

Final rating: 5.5/5

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Pixar doesn't make computer animated movies. Pixar makes beautiful films that happen to be computer animated. The Incredibles was one of the finest films I have ever seen, and though I thought that would be difficult to surpass it is entirely possible that Wall-E has done so. If come Oscar season it is merely nominated for Best Animated Picture but not the full-blown Best Picture, the Academy needs to be tarred and feathered.

What are you still sitting here for? Go watch it!

5/5

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Wow. Simply fantastic movie. I found myself tearing up quite a few times through the movie. I kept telling myself "It's just a stupid animated robot. It's not real." But the emotion that Pixar has imbued the characters with is too complex to dismiss. I would not venture to say it's the best movie of the decade, but it's most definitely one of the tops this year, and one of the best animated movies I've seen.

5.5/5

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

In my opinion the movie would've been better without the humans. They're there for the message obviously, but without them it'd have only been the beautiful, emotional movie that it mostly already is. The humans provide the smack in the face for you in case you don't get what the message is. Still an amazing movie, deserving of a 5.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The movie was fantastic, my only gripe was that whenever the movie started making me think, moving the plot towards the profound, it always pulled away too quickly, which leads me to believe that the movie could have been far more reaching if it hadn't been made overly accessible for younger children, but that obviously comes with the territory of feature animation.

Like I said, great movie, but I'm not even joking when I say that what WALL-E teased me with what could have made this movie a 2001 Space Odyssey contender had different decisions been made.

5/5

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

WALL*E (2008) Dir. Andrew Stanton - There's no doubt that Pixar is the best American animation studio, as far as feature films are concerned--yet even they were guilty of adhering to popular trends by making nearly every one of their projects part of the "things that talk but shouldn't" genre. The Incredibles offered a brief bit of hope, but in the following years Pixar fell back on making cars and rats talk--and while these films shouldn't be dismissed on the terms of their predictable premises, there was a feeling that studio was holding back.

WALL*E, on the other hand, represents a complete lack of restraint from Pixar, and, astoundingly, is the forerunner in a new genre for animated films: "things that should talk, but don't." That last fact that makes WALL*E extremely impressive, and unmistakably Pixar's best movie.

Maybe it was the screaming minstrel show of abominable cartoon previews that made me appreciate the silence more, but WALL*E is proof of Pixar's status as master storytellers (if the Pixar slobbering is getting out of hand, please bear with me). Outside of around three words, the principal characters of WALL*E don't communicate through dialogue, nor does the movie (it eventually does, though minimally and not through our main robot characters); instead of narration or goofy voices by A-list celebrities "doing it for their kids," WALL*E's stars communicate through nothing but body language--and given the fact that they're not anthropomorphized (like the cars in Cars), this is doubly impressive. WALL*E is a film of remarkable restraint in a way that so few animated films are: we, the audience are left to figure things out, and while these things are admittedly not very complicated, it's refreshing to not be given a forced plot enema ever five minutes by an insecure writer.

Of course, if the story was complete garbage, it wouldn't really matter how well it was told. WALL*E's plot about the fate of humanity is incredibly subversive and delivers the same criticism of contemporary culture that Idiocracy wanted to deliver, except effectively, non-didactically, and without all of the creepy support of eugenics. But at its heart, WALL*E is a love story, and though the romantic leads neither look nor move like humans, it's impossible to not get choked up like a colossal sissy at the interstellar journey of a sentimental garbage robot. Forget how stupid that last sentence sounded--WALL*E is Pixar's best film to date.

5/5

Note: You may be forced to sit through trailers for tripe like Beverly Hills Chihuahua and Madagascar 2, but please try to remain sober for the feature.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
One of the most refreshing films I've seen in the past few years.

Brilliant animation, exceptional character designs, and an absolute treasure to see on the big screen.

WALL-E and EVE manage to make a robot love story, ironically, very human. I love the fact that this film speaks volumes without having hardly any dialog.

The sound team deserves a pat on the back too, WALL-E and EVE had voice actors packed with sincerity, very fitting to their characters.

If you've been losing faith in the Box office lately, this film might just reconsider that incredible people can still come together to tell very touching stories.

An instant classic. This is a must see film.

5/5

Jedah fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 2, 2008

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I've run out of superlatives - this is quite simply one of the best movies I've ever seen (and if I were to sit down and think it over, it'd be in the conversation for the #1 position). Absolutely magnificent in every way. 5.5 out of 5 almost isn't enough.

And that's the story and the characters - it almost goes without saying at this point that Pixar has once again outdone themselves in the animation department. The opening sequence until they arrive at the Axiom in particular is the finest work Pixar has ever done. The level of detail is astonishing - I remember being blown away by Toy Story when it first came out, and wondering where they'd be in a dozen years. Now we know, and I'm blown away anew, and wondering where they'll be in another dozen.

5.5/5

binkmeister
Jun 1, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
:siren: Warning: not 5.5/5 post :siren:

I thought the movie was your typical Pixar flic: a happy story with happy endings and everything in general is just happy and wonderful, with some sad parts thrown in the middle. It had its funny momments and it had a couple of messages and themes behind it. Really, this is kinda of similar to Toy Story, Cars, Nemo, etc etc.

What really gets me though is that this movie is rated on IMDb as a 9.1, same rating as the Godfather series (or so I was told by my brother). Now, the movie was great and entertaining, but it was certainly not as masterful and brilliant as something with the caliber of The Godfather. Sure, Wall-E had it's message about not depending on machines/automation too much and taking risks and living life, so on; but, these themes weren't fleshed out beyond topical jokes about how humans got fat or how they suddenly have this zealous urge to leave their comfortable ship and return to a crappy, run-down Earth. When I left the theatre I wasn't pondering about what the meaning of the movie was like I did with Into the Wild; I walked out thinking it was a decent Pixar flic and that's that, now what's for dinner?

I'm sorry to be the sore thumb in this thread of "GREATEST MOVIE EVARRRR" but I just am irritated by how everyone is seeing this as some sort of message from God and it should be worshipped. I honestly think people are saying it's so good because all of the hype or just because everyone else around them is saying its good; I'll never know.

tl;dr: Typical Pixar movie with the same patented Pixar Movie Formula. Entertaining but nothing "masterful" or "brilliant."

4.0/5.0

edit: After reading over my post, especially the second paragraph, it reads like I'm a douchebag who thinks a movie is poo poo if it isn't "deep" or dark. Also, I'm not trying to shoot this movie down as a fluffy worthless film. I understand that there are different ways people rate whether or not a film is good or bad, and I'm not trying to strut my opinion as superior to yours; I don't want to come across as that. I'm fine with saying a movie was incredible purely for the content and no themes or messages. Matrix Revolutions is widely regarded as a poo poo movie, but I had a blast watching the fight scenes and battle scenes. I may have thought differently so about the message behind the film, but it was very entertaining for me. In that regard, Wall-E was very entertaining and I could give it a 4.5 for having a nice story that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If we're all rating Wall-E on the latter criteria, I would still probably give it a 4.0 as it was entertaining, but not THAT entertaining (for me).

binkmeister fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 3, 2008

ConneryAtLaw
May 20, 2006

by Fragmaster

binkmeister posted:

Ignorance

I'm thinking the greater messages and sincerity of emotions of the film were lost on you then.

-----

This film blew me away. It never once felt too childish for me. I actually think 90% of this movie is lost on the children it "targeted".

I remember commenting to my friends that they made the robots more "human" than humanity itself.

If you have any inhibitions about seeing this movie, remember that you are never too old to see this movie, and I think everyone can take something away from it.

Extreme thumbs up to Pixar on this film. Easily one of my favorites.

5.5/5

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM
Some LIGHT SPOILERS are in this review so scroll past it if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Animation
Robots have limited movement so how could Pixar make Wall-E lovable? They found a way. Pixar knows how to make characters move around in a very organic, real way. Unlike Fox's Robots, Wall-E is shown with all his moving parts and he still moves around with grace and humanity. Eve is like a slick ipod with hover parts but we accept this because she's a very advanced piece of equipment. The idea to give her little LED eyes was a nice touch. She is fairly expressive with them along with her sweeping movements. There's some live-action in the movie (gasp!) but it fits. It's as if they are showing how humans looked in the distant past. They also move around like cartoons which really works. You have to see it to know what I'm talking about. B+

Sound
An odd choice of music that makes more and more sense as the story goes on and very amusing "voices" coming out of the robots. The auto-pilot (Otto) speaks with that very deep, menacing drone, but they still manage to make him sound very comical, especially whenever he says "NO!" Wall-E's voice is almost too cute for its own good but he doesn't speak much and he doesn't go too far with being annoying. All the other robots have their own unique voices and languages as well. If Frank Welker was a robot he would sound like this. A-

Story... Moral? Message?
It's really easy to be cynical and completely drat the entire human race for its ignorance and sloth. Humans make a lot of trash and then leave their planet to let it die. Yeah, there's a bit of an environmental message going on. What makes it unique though is that it actually has compassion for humanity. There is none of that sense of angry, pushy, hippie crap going on. Humanity is shown as being generally good... if it's given a chance! Consumerism has taken over the future and a big company (akin to Wal-Mart) has decided to send humans out into space while robots on earth clean up the mess left behind. We're left to wonder (until near the end) why Wall-E is the only one working on clean-up. Turns out he's been there for centuries. All the other robots were shut off when Project Clean-Up failed. The people on the space station have just been living there for hundreds of years and have grown fat and lazy on a constant diet of routine. At first glance it seems like Pixar is saying "SHAME ON YOU," but when a fat man is jostled off his mobile chair Wall-E shows him human compassion that he hadn't seen from his robot caretakers. Later still, a woman is pulled away from her video screen long enough to take in the beautiful world around her. Perhaps the best turn-around is from the lazy captain that goes from a heavy sleeper to the first human to WALK on his feet in seven hundred years. It's all for the sake of a tiny plant and proving that Earth can be saved. Yes it would be easy to be cynical and say that humans are garbage making fatasses and that we're all doomed. In any other movie that might happen, but not here. There are no talking animals that save humans from destroying themselves or have to escape oil-drilling big businesses. Humans save themselves and the planet on their own. All they needed was to be given a small chance to do so. That's perhaps the most endearing commentary I've seen from a major motion picture in years. A++

If all you walked away with from this movie was CONSUMERISM=BAD then you missed some very important points.

final score:
5/5

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Goddamn those trailers were hard to sit through. Grit your teeth and get through them, though--it's worth it.

5.5/5

Aygtets
Nov 8, 2005

I'll fluff your Garfield if you know what I mean.
I don't have T.V so I wasn't expecting anything, I actually thought WALL-E was about a Lunar Rover :confused:
I was blown away. This is probably my favorite animated film. The story was wonderful, and I fell in love with the main characters after they were on screen for less than 10 minutes. I almost cried several times during the movie, it hit every cute button in my body. I probably loved this movie because it was about a sad lonely robot and armageddon:iiam:.
When the movie ended I was amazed, then I saw the ending credits. They could have been their own short animated feature, worthy of so many awards, be sure to sit and watch them.

5/5

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Absolutely fantastic. One of my favorites from Pixar (if not THE favorite).

What makes it a masterpiece in my mind is that it refines what Pixar does to a ridiculous point. Yes you can kind of figure some of it out because of what it is. But instead of trying to be gimmicky or edgy, Pixar just refines their story telling ability to masterful proportions.

The human element was a bit preachy and hell I wouldn't have even minded the message if it was a bit more subtle. But that's a minor complaint. Fantastic film.

5/5.5

NebZ
Oct 26, 2005
Eddie would go.
When a movie can make you feel empathy for a digital character who only beeps and wails in 8-bit tones then you know what you're watching is something magical.

5/5

Wall-E owns. Anyone who hates this movie is a heartless monster.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Wall E just shot to the top of my list of "Favorite Movies Ever Made."

I am man enough to admit that I cried. Twice.

The word I saw appear most frequently on RottenTomatoes reviews is the best way to describe this film: Perfect.

5.5/5

wajack!
Oct 1, 2006

by Fragmaster
One of the most romantic and poignant films I have ever seen. 5.5/5

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.
If this doesn't get a Best Picture nomination, the Academy is going to lose what little credit they had left. Amazing film. I felt the same watching it as I did watching Toy Story for the first time, back when I was 15. This may even top it a bit.

5.5/5

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I'm glad im not the only one who teared up during this film, being a man and all. Not only where its animations flawless to the point of wondering if its somehow actually filmed, but its emotional core was so simple and so moving that, with 3 other dudes and a few ladies with us, i had no problem admitting that i nearly shed tears. Others said the same. The first 30 minutes leave you stupified, as if such emotion could be illicited from some stupid robots.

The people digging into the undercurrent of hyper-capitalism are doing just that; digging, for what is there but for not for what is featured. That a message can be conveyed so subtly, overtly, and dismissed entirely in a 90 min. run time with every other message reaching you equally as poignant is a testament to PIXARS strength as story tellers.

5.5/5. Kids will be bored, adults will have their bleak souls poked.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Walt Disney posted:

When finding a new picture, we don't think of children and we don't think of grownups. Instead we think of that fine, clean, unspoiled part down deep in every one of us, that maybe the world has made us forget, and that maybe our pictures can help recall

Mission accomplished.

5 / 5 because this is as good as (or better than) anyone could reasonably expect a movie to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

LIGHT SPOILERS

One of the few movies I've ever seen where I was whispering in someone's ear throughout "wow this is amazing/brilliant/incredible" etc.

I was floored by how well they handled Wall-E. Wall-E himself is the cute, spiritual offspring of Johnny-5 and ET. I could have watched him explore and interact with the garbage on Earth for hours. Eve was just a riot. Her programming made her tough as nails, but inside, she was sensitive and sweet. They way the handled the masculine/feminine dynamics between the two characters was very impressive. The characters overall are just great. It's amazing how Pixar can give more personality to computer generated characters that most films do to real characters.

I loved the film's message. Bravo to Pixar for showing humanity what we could become. We are on that path. We are fast becoming a society of fat slugs that lay around with a screen permanently stuck to our face and something fattening in our hand. They took it to the logical conclusion. Genius. We are part of the planet, not separate or above it. We let our gadgets and toys distract us from the true joy that comes from being centered. That centeredness comes from living in harmony with our environment. Get off the sofa. Ride a bike, shoot some basketball, climb a mountain, explore a cave, visit a rain forest, jump out of a plane, surf a wave! I'm not advocating being a race of Wookies living in the trees, technology is fine, but balance and moderation is definitely key. They did wrap up their warning to humanity with a hopeful message, so even more kudos to them.

I applaud Pixar for the astounding feat they pulled off with this movie. Once I noticed the nods to 2001: A Space Odyssey, I knew I would love Wall-E forever. Brilliant, genius, astounding, beautiful, tender, rich, and overall amazing. Their best one yet, a nudge ahead of The Incredibles. My only gripe is I felt like it ended too soon.

See Wall-E if you haven't already!

5.5/5

Bozz fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 9, 2008