Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank

Hamelin posted:

Anyone have a before/after map of the territory that was up cleared? I'm curious.

Before (these are loving huge images by the way), note the big blob of Blue down in the bottom-left corner:

http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/verite/20090204.png

After:

http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/20090205NoText.png

Oops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.
This is a better image, if only because the "sovereignty lost" table for Band of Brothers exceeds the size of the map.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dogtanian posted:

Before (these are loving huge images by the way), note the big blob of Blue down in the bottom-left corner:

http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/verite/20090204.png

After:

http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/20090205NoText.png

Oops!
Ahahahaha, that's like a tenth or so of the freaking map. :v:

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
An acquaintance of mine who plays Eve says it was just a "Billfail" which is apparently a bug caused by the payment system Eve uses. Say it ain't so :(

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Amused Frog posted:

An acquaintance of mine who plays Eve says it was just a "Billfail" which is apparently a bug caused by the payment system Eve uses. Say it ain't so :(

Nope, there's chatlogs and the Goonfleet guys are saying that one of the guys with near-unrestricted access to BoB alliance stuff and their executor corp (the one in charge of the alliance) defected. He had an alt in IGNE (a Goonfleet corp) and when he started getting his privileges revoked for being a spy, he offered to dick over BoB/his old alliance if it'd let him stay in with Goonfleet.

Apparently, BoB was being too serious and unfriendly, and he'd enjoyed playing in IGNE more, because people were nicer/more helpful.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hamelin posted:

Ahahahaha, that's like a tenth or so of the freaking map. :v:

Yeah, that's a good three or so months of building sovereignty flushed right down the shitter. And for the guys who put UP those towers, the logistics folks (towers being the things that lay claim to any one system) do a LARGE percentage of that three months work (namely, putting up towers and fueling them over time). I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a serious case of clinical depression spring up from this one :v:

(edit) I say three months of work, but really, they've been there for three+ YEARS. It's a little complicated if you don't/haven't played :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 5, 2009

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I lost interest in EVE around the time BOB got caught getting hand-outs from certain devs who also had characters in BOB. That's so good to hear, it's like griefing known cheaters.

The 'corruption' in EVE was hosed though, in other MMOs it might mean some low-level GM was spawning some cool items for his friends but in EVE it was developers and they were giving BOB items that allow them to generate stupid amounts of cash. And the blueprints thing wasn't even the worst part but :aaaaa: I don't care anymore it's all a distant memory.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Sanctum posted:

The 'corruption' in EVE was hosed though, in other MMOs it might mean some low-level GM was spawning some cool items for his friends but in EVE it was developers and they were giving BOB items that allow them to generate stupid amounts of cash. And the blueprints thing wasn't even the worst part but :aaaaa: I don't care anymore it's all a distant memory.

So who has those items now? Is it Goonswarm? Tell me it's Goonswarm.

Boyz Scout
Nov 3, 2006

No more pigeon rubbing? Life in the vault is about to change...
That is pretty hysterical, great work GoonSwarm.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Oops indeed, now animated!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Spanish Matlock posted:

So who has those items now? Is it Goonswarm? Tell me it's Goonswarm.

The ones they admitted to were deleted, but they're no longer anywhere near as valuable as they were so the actual BPOs are a bit moot.

Grim Peeper
Aug 1, 2003

by Peatpot

Colbear posted:

Nope, there's chatlogs and the Goonfleet guys are saying that one of the guys with near-unrestricted access to BoB alliance stuff and their executor corp (the one in charge of the alliance) defected. He had an alt in IGNE (a Goonfleet corp) and when he started getting his privileges revoked for being a spy, he offered to dick over BoB/his old alliance if it'd let him stay in with Goonfleet.

Apparently, BoB was being too serious and unfriendly, and he'd enjoyed playing in IGNE more, because people were nicer/more helpful.

He was actually a part of an IGNE (GoonSwarm pubbie corp) recruitment scam but liked us so much that he told them he was a BNC/Executor corp director when we were going to kick him out.

His own words were that when he joined BNC they didn't even say hello, but when he came to us he was helped by everyone from the start.

The rest is history.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

What is a recruitment scam?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

How long until we understand the full extent of the fallout from this? I've read that EVE devs are generally pretty hands off when it comes to scamming, but it sounds like you basically just kicked the legs out of one of the major power players, one that had direct dev involvement. Does GS expect any type of retaliation, even from BoB allies? What about the other major corps?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shooting Blanks posted:

How long until we understand the full extent of the fallout from this? I've read that EVE devs are generally pretty hands off when it comes to scamming, but it sounds like you basically just kicked the legs out of one of the major power players, one that had direct dev involvement. Does GS expect any type of retaliation, even from BoB allies? What about the other major corps?

To my knowledge, after they were exposed, CCP denied everything and then fired those responsible and has been pretty legit since. Sure BoB still had the advantage of momentum, but CCP doesn't give a gently caress about 'em anymore. And I can't imagine anyone in Iceland doing anything to risk losing a job at the moment.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think we are counting on someone trying to do something about it. Goonfleet survives off of drama and pubbie tears. If CCP reverses it, there will be a massive threadnaught and the anger of thousands of angry goons will be unleashed upon the EVE-O forums. If their allies gently caress with us, well, we are fully expecting them to. ROL and AAA are still kickin around, and will probably end up taking in some of the former BOB, so we'll have them to fight. And if by some chance, we just won 0.0 and no-one feels like fighting us for it (lol yeah right), I'm guessing that Goonfleet uses the resources to fund large scale griefing in Empire on an unprecedented level, and hopefully the absolute raping of Jade Constantine and his Star Legion or whatever it's called.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dramatika posted:

If CCP reverses it

Seriously? Would they do this? That'd make a lot of people angry, especially those who've jumped in to grab the new, open territory. Also it'd be retarded and just reek of favouritism.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Morpheus posted:

Seriously? Would they do this?

Anyone who thinks they even might consider it is retarded. This metagaming stuff is by far the best advertisment they have for the game, even ignoring notions of fair play and rules.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Morpheus posted:

Seriously? Would they do this? That'd make a lot of people angry, especially those who've jumped in to grab the new, open territory. Also it'd be retarded and just reek of favouritism.

I highly doubt they would. It wouldn't make sense. It would poo poo up the EVE-O forums to hell and back, no matter what. Then, either goons would unsub and never play again, losing around 5000 subscribers, and considering CCP is based in Iceland, that's bad. The other possible outcome I could see is goons taking over empire and making the game no fun for anyone to play, resulting in even more people unsubscribing.

I think we'd be OK with it if it was actually account hacking like many in BoB are claiming, but the way it happened, it was completely legit and within game rules.

Or maybe I give goons too much credit, we'd probably flip our poo poo if they reversed it even if they had a video of Mittani holding a gun to Molle's head next to a computer at the alliance management screen.

Mura
Feb 3, 2008

Colbear posted:

What is a recruitment scam?

Basically, goonfleet is goons only, on occasion, we'll have people say that we're out open recruiting ("War effort left us short on manpower, blah blah") and we set up an application fee, the size of the fee depends on the scammer. Often times, we'll have them give some or all of their assets over and offer to fly them down for them. I think you can figure out how it goes from there.

Q-tank
Jan 29, 2009

Cat Murderer
lol, you deleted BoB?

I think you just won eve....

Yuji
Feb 25, 2006
Only you can set you free

Mura posted:

Basically, goonfleet is goons only, on occasion, we'll have people say that we're out open recruiting ("War effort left us short on manpower, blah blah") and we set up an application fee, the size of the fee depends on the scammer. Often times, we'll have them give some or all of their assets over and offer to fly them down for them. I think you can figure out how it goes from there.
Well, I guess all's fair in love and war. Are scams like this actually legit by EVE rules though? If so, I'm amazed.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yuji posted:

Well, I guess all's fair in love and war. Are scams like this actually legit by EVE rules though? If so, I'm amazed.

Yes. CCP's ridiculously hands off, most of the time -- someone got away with 700 bil a while ago, by running a Ponzi scheme.

(Also, okay; that makes sense. I've seen recruitment scams before, just never knew there was a name for them.)

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Colbear posted:

Kind of a pity that the Goonswarm forums are restricted like that, I'd have loved to read up on all the juicy history and ensuing drama of this debacle.

And yeah, this comes pretty close to a big win in EVE, I'd reckon. Biggest act of screwing over a corp in the game's history, I'd even wager.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Yuji posted:

More like encouraged. The entire gimmick CCP has going is if it doesn't involve hacking, and doesn't involve using the EVE-O forums to scam people for timecards/accounts, it's legit. Read up on the Guiding Hand Social Club, and the Eve Intergalactic Bank scam (this may not be the correct name, try googling 'EVE online bank scam'). I'd find a link for you but I'm on my way out the door.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
So somebody in EVE had their big dick chopped off. That is not very cost efficient.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

So somebody in EVE had their big dick chopped off. That is not very cost efficient.
It's more like they got the rest of them chopped off and was only left with the dick.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Dramatika posted:

More like encouraged. The entire gimmick CCP has going is if it doesn't involve hacking, and doesn't involve using the EVE-O forums to scam people for timecards/accounts, it's legit. Read up on the Guiding Hand Social Club, and the Eve Intergalactic Bank scam (this may not be the correct name, try googling 'EVE online bank scam'). I'd find a link for you but I'm on my way out the door.

It was the Eve Investment Bank Scam. Would be funny if the current EVE financial giant, eve-bank. was a scam. It has had over 6 trillion in deposits.

Also I've heard rumors the person with the most isk in eve has 26 trillion isk :aaa:.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Currin Trading and Eve Intergalactic Bank scams - http://www.geocities.com/currintrading/

Long, but a great read.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Dramatika posted:

Currin Trading and Eve Intergalactic Bank scams - http://www.geocities.com/currintrading/

Long, but a great read.

These EVE bank scams are always a fun read. If a Ponzi scheme can fool Wall Street, then I suppose it can fool EVE Online. But drat if players aren't naive to trust these EVE banks given all the horror stories out there.

Q-tank
Jan 29, 2009

Cat Murderer

Narev posted:

Ariel The fat dude

That's loving bizarre, but to be honest, I did something like that once, but I had clear goals in mind.

In eve online I was sitting outside station harassing people, when some dumbass convo's me and asks me if I was a girl in real life because my avatar was female. I ignored him at first, but then he kept asking, while approaching my ship and bumping me. My first response was mostly sarcastic - something to the effect of "if I had a hatchet wound, would you let me kill you?"

The guy laughed, and at this point, I thought he would take a hint and buzz off.

He didn't.

I already had a bad reputation in the system, and I’m pretty sure anyone who paid attention to local would have seen that I was, in the very least, a questionable individual. I stole from people constantly and ganked them when they shot back - the fact that I was an opportunistic, homicidal- klepto-sociopath was well established.

But he kept on. Eventually I discovered that the guy was an idiot, and that he really thought I was a chick. After going back and forth a while, I convinced him that we could practice pee vee pee together outside station. I said I wouldn't kill him, and had him take from my can. I ransomed and killed my new internet spaceship boyfriend.

lulz.

He convo'd me again. and he still is too thick to understand that I just wanted to kill him and that I would say or do anything to do so. After a long convo, I tried to get him to join my corp, which was standard procedure back then for our greifing corp. We would invite idiots into our corp, and then kill and pod them, since you could openly engage your corpmates. Unfortunately, he wasn't buying it, and became suspicious. But he said that if I showed him my pic, he would join.

I googled the first picture of a chick I found and posted it on a free hosting site. Unfortunately, he raised his standards by asking that I show nipple! The picture was a series of a girl wearing a bikini, but since I really wanted to kill him, I tried desperately to Photoshop nipple over the girl's bikini. I did perfect on one nipple, but couldn't manage to fix the other nipple without making her look like a breast cancer survivor. Feeling tired, and having high hopes that my victim was even more retarded then he already appeared to be, I posted the image.

He didn't fall for it though. He didn't join the corp and never stopped convo'ing me. After about two days of ignoring him, I eventually told him to buzz off, and he's pretty dumb to think that I’m anything other than a jerk (with a penis) that will do and say anything to kill him. Even after I told him I was a guy, he thought I was joking.

I actually had to block the guy because he kept making advances on me. But even after like a month, when I cleared my block list, he continued to convo me. I eventually had to get him on vent to convince him.

...In retrospect, I think I may have been trolled, but the guy was pretty dumb even on vent, so who knows.

Seriously, pretending you have a pair of tits opens a lot of doors when it comes to griefing, but can end up being a pandora's box - use sparingly.

Q-tank fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 6, 2009

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Dramatika posted:

Long, but a great read.

This was fascinating, and makes me want to do something similar.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
Another corp in HellMOO, KGB, are dicks. They pretty much destroyed the GOON corp and a couple of them decided to gently caress with my corp.
The laws in the city were changed recently making it legal to attack vampires but if they should happen to kill you then they get wanted stars and the cops start chasing them. So we attack them and die on purpose.
If you do it right then this happens

quote:

CheechLizard asks, "still hunting me farhan?"
Farhan says, "of course"
1Alton smashes the glass cover of the emergency switch on the wall, and jams down the switch.
Steel gratings rattle down on rails and snap shut over the doors and windows.
CheechLizard slices viciously at Farhan with his fine katana.
Farhan flashes a deadly large scythe strike at CheechLizard!
A loud siren starts blaring through the room, rising and falling.
FakeChuck laughs.
[F###C] CheechLizard shudders; Farhan's large scythe rends his abdomen wide open.
CheechLizard kicks dirt at Farhan's eyes.
CheechLizard smiles.
Notdeadyet says, "i'll stay out of it if you do fake"
CheechLizard waves.
[F#*C] CheechLizard goes limp when Farhan carves a chunk from his foot.
CheechLizard's limbs twitch feebly; he coughs weakly, and moves no more.
CheechLizard's white cocoon capsule deploys around his gear with a foamy whoosh.
A red light flashes on the FCPD cam as it swivels toward Farhan.
[FCPD]Farhan earned 6 stars at City Hall.
FakeChuck nods to you.
1Alton says, "Half my customers are filthy animals, look at this, blood all over the place."
1Alton wipes up the last splashes of blood.
[FCPD]Sending 1 new agents after Farhan.
[FCPD]Dispatching C3-50 to Farhan.
Farhan says, "gay"
A C3-50 comes in from the south.
Farhan flashes a deadly large scythe strike at the C3-50!
Horatio arrives on the C3-50's heels.
The C3-50 swings its shock baton at Farhan in a brutal strike.
[F###C] The C3-50 staggers when Farhan cuts deep into its abdomen, spraying blood.
The C3-50 bursts into flames!
[F)C] The C3-50 smoothly dodges out of the way.
Horatio says, "Drive-by..."
Horatio puts on his sunglasses.
Flames cover the C3-50's body amid screams of agony.
Horatio says, "Freedom City style."
[CxF] Farhan knocks aside the C3-50's shock baton!
[F/C] Farhan's large scythe sails high.
[F)C] The C3-50 smoothly dodges out of the way.
[C##F] Farhan grimaces when the C3-50 wails on her with its shock baton!
Farhan says, "ow"
[F'C] Farhan scores a bloody line on the C3-50's leg.
1Alton says, "Ugh, corpses again."
1Alton drags CheechLizard into the back, then emerges, wiping his hands.
Horatio tries to go south, but finds the way blocked.
Horatio says, "drat! I'm stuck."
Farhan rears back and winds up for a power large scythe attack.

player Notdeadyet [ 100% ] horny
player FakeChuck [ 100% ] caff band
player Farhan [ 42% ] caff horny band
npc 1Alton [ 100% ]
npc C3-50 [ 46% ] (attacking Farhan)
npc Horatio [ 20% ]

A spray of C3-50's oil hits you!
Farhan slashes her large scythe across the C3-50's elbows, chopping through the tendons. As the C3-50 squeals and flaps its mangled arms in a gruesome penguin impression, Farhan stabs him right in its stupid face.
The C3-50 sparks and pops as it falls over sputtering to a stop, completely ruined.
A red light flashes on the FCPD cam as it swivels toward Farhan.
Farhan says, "er"
Farhan says, "woops"
Farhan foams at the mouth.
FakeChuck says, "Heh"
Horatio tries to go south, but finds the way blocked.
Farhan says, "i need to get out"
[FCPD]Sending 1 new agents after Farhan.
[FCPD]Dispatching McBain to Farhan.
McBain comes in from the south.
Farhan slices viciously at McBain with her large scythe.
McBain calmly lines up his samaritan at Farhan.
[F)M] McBain smoothly dodges out of the way.
CheechLizard arrives on McBain's heels.
Farhan says, "nooo"
CheechLizard throws a clumsy blow at Farhan.
FakeChuck laughs.
CheechLizard waves.
[F*M] McBain grunts; Farhan scores a bloody line on his abdomen.
[C/F] CheechLizard nearly falls over in a wild kick.
Farhan flashes a deadly large scythe strike at McBain!
You laugh.
[F>M] McBain dodges away from Farhan's attack.
McBain aims his samaritan with deadly accuracy at Farhan.
CheechLizard yells, "LET ME COUNT THE STARS!!"
[C/F] CheechLizard lurches a clumsy kick at nothing.
[F)M] McBain smoothly dodges out of the way.
[C/F] CheechLizard's clumsy punch misses by a mile.
Horatio says, "drat! I'm stuck."
[M###F] Farhan goes limp as McBain's samaritan shot blasts a gaping hole through her leg!
Farhan explodes, showering the area with blood and chunks of flesh.
Blood spurts from one of McBain's gaping wounds.
FakeChuck says, "Oh dear"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CheechLizard posted:

Another corp in HellMOO, KGB, are dicks. They pretty much destroyed the GOON corp and a couple of them decided to gently caress with my corp.
The laws in the city were changed recently making it legal to attack vampires but if they should happen to kill you then they get wanted stars and the cops start chasing them. So we attack them and die on purpose.
If you do it right then this happens

I have no idea what the hell is going on here, but Horatio is awesome.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Morpheus posted:

I have no idea what the hell is going on here, but Horatio is awesome.

He's trapped in a store by the security gratings, while police officers keep keep streaming in and killing him.

And yes, a Horatio NPC that tracks down murders only to make cool comments is the best thing in any game.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh man, I read through this entire thread from post #1 and loved it. And amazingly, I didn't see any of the stories that I thought I'd see (aside from the obvious ones). Let me share a couple of my favorites. Unfortunately I have no screenshots, but someone may have a shot or two of a couple of my stories.

This first was when I was brand-new to MMOs and I didn't even know what "griefing" was--I just knew I liked to gently caress with people in games sometimes.

-

I started playing City of Heroes when it was pretty brand-new. I quit around Issue 3. Somewhere between those two time points, I can't remember exactly when, Christopher Reeve died. Cue a small platoon of pubbies creating alts to look like Superman, dressed in all black, and saluting under Atlas as a tribute to him. I immediately recognized it as incredibly gay, logged out, and created an alt named SuperQueen, who had flaming red hair, a fabulous goatee, and a pink-and-purple themed leotard with a giant crown on his chest. I quickly ground my character to level 14 so I could get the Flying travel power, went to Atlas Park, and began to dance homoerotically in front of the Superman Tribute formation.

I figured they'd all be AFK, because they'd just leave the alts there for hours on end. But as soon as I started my dancing and taunting, I started getting furious messages through whisper and local chat. After I got bored of dancing, I turned to face the same direction as all the saluting pubbies and activated Fly, spamming my battle cry of "UP, UP, AND A GAAAAAAAAAAY!" all the way into the sunset.

-

Shortly after I joined a CoH Goon Supergroup, someone, I forget who, made an awesome plan. A good dozen or so of us created alts wearing business suits, shades, and having a hairstyle very close to Hugo Weaving's. They were all Super Strength/Invuln if I remember correctly. We'd all log on at the same time and chase pubbies around, spamming chat with lines like "It is inevitable!" and so on. We'd mime punching them and stuff and corner them while they raged at us, which was hilarious because this was way before CoV and PvP wasn't even possible, but they'd get so loving pissed.

-

There was a huge lowbie area called Perez Park. Awesome for low-level grinding, because it was massive and had a huge variety of low-level mobs, usually in decent size groups for quick xp. The level range was probably around 4-14, if I remember. Anyway, one day a whole bunch of us goons coordinated on a time to rush in there with our high-level 40+ characters. We all teleported in at the same time and immediately began to fan out, destroying every low-level mob in sight with our AoEs and other awesome attacks as we shouted things like "FEAR NOT, CITIZENS OF PEREZ PARK! TONIGHT YOU SHALL SLEEP SAFELY IN YOUR BEDS!" and all the pubbies kept screaming poo poo like "STOP U FAGS"

-

When I was at Kadena AB, a few of my buddies would play Halo multiplayer with two Xboxes and TVs linked together. It was a good time. I only actually played with them once, though, and it had been so long that my skills were nonexistent. Two awesome things happened, both unintentional.

During a game of CTF in Sidewinder, I managed to sneak through the tunnels completely undetected and grab the opposite team's flag. The entire other team was gone, so it should've been a loving cakewalk back to base. My team was yelling at me to climb the ladder and take the teleporter back to the halfway point. Problem was, I didn't really remember how to dismount the ladders very well.

I climb the ladder and get to the top, try to step onto the platform, and instantly fall and lose all my shield. My team's still yelling, even louder now, so I scurry back up the ladder but miss the platform again and die.

I could hear the other team when they found my body and the flag about five feet from the flag spawn point, because they were all "What the gently caress?" "What happened?" etc.

Later on, same game but regular deathmatch mode, I managed to change the objective completely. Someone had grabbed the warthog, and after watching and leading them for a second, I blew them up with the rocket launcher. The second they were dead, I rushed to the Warthog and began to drive it around, running everyone over, teammate and enemy alike, until someone else blew me up with a rocket. They began to do the same thing, until soon none of us cared about the game itself, it was simply a rush to see who could actually get to the Warthog and drive it as long as they could until someone else rocketed them to death.

It was so awesome.

Okay maybe that last one wasn't griefing but still emergent gameplay :colbert:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 7, 2009

TouchFuzzy GetDizzy
Oct 29, 2007
Hey dude, can you convert an mp3 to a jpeg?
The creation of a Left 4 Dead grief (X360):
((Hadn't seen one like this posted))

-Yes there is the classic, jump off the roof onto the air conditioner and speed running to the end in coop, but this stopped amusing my friends and I, so we headed into versus.

-First couple games go okay, but than in No Mercy 4, someone blocked up the elevator with that little yellow machine next to the elevator and blocked us in. Annoying, and yes has probably happened to most of you, but easy to melee out of the way so we added that to our list and moved on.

-The next game, my friend ran ahead in No Mercy 3, and was waiting for the survivors up above the sewers in front of the gas station, when he spies a dumpster. So he takes it and covers up the hole, and sure enough the survivors can't get out, unless all four of them melee it at the same time. Clearly irritated, because the rest of us are beating the gently caress out of them from below, and in general creating problems. So my friend starts hopping ontop of the dumpster and slashing at the sides, and to our surprise it slides into the sewer hole, crushes the entire other team instantly incapping them.

-So basically now, the game is try and see how many survivors we can get onto the ladder and crush with one dumpster OR try and get all three dumpsters to smash down ontop of them before they can come up.

Some tips:
-The dumpster that is on its side should go down last because it will wedge itself in there, and usually can't get knocked down. Sometimes it can but it is rare.
-This is done best with the hunter, slash once and than push toward the object is usually the best method to move poo poo.
-You should run ahead as soon as you spawn to be able to do it properly, and get it jammed or into position.

Happy Griefing!

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
Here's a griefing story where I was the victim, not the griefer.

I was a volunteer in Ultima Online, first as a Counselor, then as a Seer. For those that don't know, Counselors wore blue robes and were basically the online help desk for the game. We answered various questions about the game world and settled minor disputes between players. While seers were basically Lesser GMs who were able to run quests, maintained persistent characters and enhanced the story of the game world. This particular incident happened while I was a seer...

One day, I was running a persistent character that visited one of the player run cities, just socializing with the players. This character had a very bad rear end looking suit of armor and a midnight black katana that had max damage and an insane hit rate (used for slaying dragons and other beasts in one hit, it was part of my character's story). A group of PKers (people who killed other players) ran through town hunting people. My character was sitting in the tavern and one of these PKers ran right through the door and made a beeline to me, since I looked to be the juciest target. The PKer engaged me and before he even swung at me, my autodefend kicked in and I smacked this guy for what had to be an insane amount of damage, killing him instantly.

Now, this guy was one of the people on the server whom was notorious for killing players left and right. In UO, at the time, people who were considered murderers by the game (over a certain number of kills in a certain period of time) were unable to resurrect without losing a significant amount of work. My recent "victim" was considered a murderer and at the current rate of decay, it would have taken him being logged in about a month straight to be able to resurrect without penalties. Of course, once this player got killed by the "GM" he posted about it all over the forums and demanded he be reimbursed...

The next day, I was removed from the program for killing a player. I guess overnight the player launched a campaign to remove the "corrupt GM" from the game. He then started posting brag posts about how he got me removed. However, I got the last laugh as I watched the program spiral out of control the next month until it was finally dissolved due to the volunteer lawsuit.

I wish I still had access to my old screenshots.. but they were like 4 hard drives ago. I would post the time that I was tasked to take over the town of Trinsic as a green lich across all servers, basically being the epic griefer who couldn't die. It was the one time the GMs told me to kill players with impunity... But that's a story for another day..

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Fizzle posted:

But that's a story for another day..

Why can't it be a story for today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

TouchFuzzy GetDizzy posted:

The creation of a Left 4 Dead grief (X360):
((Hadn't seen one like this posted))

-Yes there is the classic, jump off the roof onto the air conditioner and speed running to the end in coop, but this stopped amusing my friends and I, so we headed into versus.

-First couple games go okay, but than in No Mercy 4, someone blocked up the elevator with that little yellow machine next to the elevator and blocked us in. Annoying, and yes has probably happened to most of you, but easy to melee out of the way so we added that to our list and moved on.

-The next game, my friend ran ahead in No Mercy 3, and was waiting for the survivors up above the sewers in front of the gas station, when he spies a dumpster. So he takes it and covers up the hole, and sure enough the survivors can't get out, unless all four of them melee it at the same time. Clearly irritated, because the rest of us are beating the gently caress out of them from below, and in general creating problems. So my friend starts hopping ontop of the dumpster and slashing at the sides, and to our surprise it slides into the sewer hole, crushes the entire other team instantly incapping them.

-So basically now, the game is try and see how many survivors we can get onto the ladder and crush with one dumpster OR try and get all three dumpsters to smash down ontop of them before they can come up.

Some tips:
-The dumpster that is on its side should go down last because it will wedge itself in there, and usually can't get knocked down. Sometimes it can but it is rare.
-This is done best with the hunter, slash once and than push toward the object is usually the best method to move poo poo.
-You should run ahead as soon as you spawn to be able to do it properly, and get it jammed or into position.

Happy Griefing!

Welcome to a loving long time ago!

Newer griefs include:

-Throwing propane tanks at people to make them drop through the elevator and die.
-Parking the tank in NM5 so that the finale never ends.
-Blocking the panic event room in BH (the one where you have to open the alarmed door.
-Running through the level and knocking all of the upgraded weapons off the tables so that the survivors pass them by

• Locked thread