Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, I just found out how to grief AirMech. For those of you who don't know, AirMech is a F2P game that's kind of a combo of an RTS and a MOBA like League. You control a plane that transforms into a mech, being the most versitile unit on the field and the only air unit. In order to win you need to destroy the enemy fortress and along the way take outposts to build more dudes. If you try to take on the enemy fortress yourself you will rapidly be overwhelmed.

It is a difficult game to grief, but it is possible.

How do you grief in Aimech? Build only Anti-air units and claim its for a rush (obviously useless at that because AA can't hit the fortress/any enemy in the way). Sure your teammates can recycle them to free up pop cap and get money, but that's only if they realize what you're doing. If they take to long then you using up all the pop cap on useless units will probably lead to them losing a lot of ground, even against the AI. Also, just stall your assaults by telling your team-mates to wait longer, even when you literally cannot build any more things.

Why no, I didn't almost lose a match because of someone doing this, why do you ask?

On the other hand, against players you can grief just by hanging on and making a nuisance of yourself even when it's clear you've lost. Poke at their undefended buildings, keep busting their forces. If they don't respond you may get a comeback, if they don't you may drag the game out by another 10 minutes as they compulsively fortify all their teritory to keep you out. I managed to piss off, or at least annoy some MLG tryhard types this way even when it was clear I was completely outclassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
People who expect you to lie down and die quietly are fools. People who lie down and die quietly are even bigger fools. MOBAs aren't over until your main base building is dead, no matter what anyone says.

In DotA, there's a hero, Nature's Prophet, who can teleport anywhere on the map after ~3 seconds of a cast animation, on about a 20 second cooldown, and can also turn trees into a bunch of treants to be an army and meat shield for him for taking towers. He's really good at warping around and pushing lanes and breaking towers, and is probably the king of sneakily taking towers while the other team isn't paying attention. He's also, in my experience, the king of absolutely ridiculous comebacks.

One particularly memorable game, my friend Jim was playing NP. We were down and in a bad way, but he was continuously sneaking towers to keep us afloat and to snatch draws from the jaws of defeat. Finally, the other team has broken our back, everyone but Jim is down, and they're breaking all of our buildings and working their way towards our ancient - the main base building that's the victory condition. Break the other team's Ancient, you win. The Ancient's HP is dropping - I'm honestly not even mad, it was like a 70 minute slugfest of a game and really fun. We were losing but it was fun anyway because it was a close game - Jim had managed to sneak some key buildings while the other team was breaking into our base over the course of a few fights, and while we couldn't really contest them in a straight up fight, by building count it was a very, very close game that we would have won if we had positioned better for a couple fights. But, as it always is, all good things must come to an end. They're beating on our Ancient with their whole team, and it's down do about 1% HP, and the game ends, as you'd expect.

Except we had won. I didn't even realize what had happened until I hear Jim screaming victory over Mumble, look at the scoreboard and the minimap, and realize that he had teleported into their base and had been knocking down their Ancient while they were breaking everything in our base. While they were busy chewing their way through our base, he had walked past as many optional buildings as possible to bang down the two guard towers protecting their Ancient and blown up their Ancient with about half of a second to spare.

Giving up is for chumps.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

One of my favorite griefs is one I'm using in Dark Souls 2 at the moment. There's a spell called acid fog which eats away at your item durability, eventually breaking all of your gear. Whenever your gear breaks you have to make a trip back out of your way to one of 3 npcs and spend a decent amount of souls to fix it. Naturally this means I immediately load up a tank build that doesn't actually do damage, and instead I just break people's poo poo all day when I PvP. :v:

Soulex posted:

We were a "progression guild" back in Vanilla on the server Anetheron.

Small world, I realize this is an old rear end post but I actually played on Anetheron during Vanilla.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 6, 2014

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
I saw some posts about griefing people fighting the Looking Glass Knight boss in Dark Souls II by healing him when summoned and wanted to chime in with a couple of other griefs that are great to combine with it.

There's a very hard-to-obtain weapon called the Channeler's Trident which has a special ability wherein you can perform an absurd-looking dance which gives your allies a hefty boost to their damage. There's a spell called Sacred Oath which boosts your allies attack strength by a smaller amount and also raises their defense significantly. Lastly, a boss weapon, called the Spider's Fang if I remember correctly, has an ability which sprays hilarious white goop on your opponent, drastically slowing them and making it nearly impossible to dodge attacks.

Basically you come into the fight, heal the boss, massively buff his attack power, and then remove the hapless player's ability to dodge. The boss hits hard as is, and will pretty much bisect the other guy in one or two hits.

The hatemail is incredible.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Magres posted:

People who expect you to lie down and die quietly are fools. People who lie down and die quietly are even bigger fools. MOBAs aren't over until your main base building is dead, no matter what anyone says.

In DotA, there's a hero, Nature's Prophet, who can teleport anywhere on the map after ~3 seconds of a cast animation, on about a 20 second cooldown, and can also turn trees into a bunch of treants to be an army and meat shield for him for taking towers. He's really good at warping around and pushing lanes and breaking towers, and is probably the king of sneakily taking towers while the other team isn't paying attention. He's also, in my experience, the king of absolutely ridiculous comebacks.

One particularly memorable game, my friend Jim was playing NP. We were down and in a bad way, but he was continuously sneaking towers to keep us afloat and to snatch draws from the jaws of defeat. Finally, the other team has broken our back, everyone but Jim is down, and they're breaking all of our buildings and working their way towards our ancient - the main base building that's the victory condition. Break the other team's Ancient, you win. The Ancient's HP is dropping - I'm honestly not even mad, it was like a 70 minute slugfest of a game and really fun. We were losing but it was fun anyway because it was a close game - Jim had managed to sneak some key buildings while the other team was breaking into our base over the course of a few fights, and while we couldn't really contest them in a straight up fight, by building count it was a very, very close game that we would have won if we had positioned better for a couple fights. But, as it always is, all good things must come to an end. They're beating on our Ancient with their whole team, and it's down do about 1% HP, and the game ends, as you'd expect.

Except we had won. I didn't even realize what had happened until I hear Jim screaming victory over Mumble, look at the scoreboard and the minimap, and realize that he had teleported into their base and had been knocking down their Ancient while they were breaking everything in our base. While they were busy chewing their way through our base, he had walked past as many optional buildings as possible to bang down the two guard towers protecting their Ancient and blown up their Ancient with about half of a second to spare.

Giving up is for chumps.

Haha, good grief dude, playing the game's objective sure did grief those guys.

Good Grief...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzsqcZPzbiY

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Playing the objective always pisses of the super serious crowd. I used to get constant hate mail in Chromehounds for it. In that game, two teams of mechs would spawn in a very large map, each with a base spawned randomly at one of three locations. To win, you could either destroy the enemy's mechs or their base. Most of the serious players would build cookie-cutter min/max mechs and ignore their own base, intent on slugging it out with the enemy team. I would build an ultralight, fast mech with no guns and four melee pile drivers, sneak around to their base and destroy it before the fight even began. Even better, occasionally a friend or two would join me as well to kill their base even faster.

The hilarious part is that of the various mech roles players could build, one was a dedicated defender class. These were slower and heavily armed and armored mechs with quick turn speeds, essentially a mobile turret meant to protect bases and other vulnerable mechs like command units or artillery. The catch is that almost no one played them because it was less fun to sit around waiting for an attack that may never happen when you could be on the frontlines shooting stuff. So when the other team would start complaining that you 'based' them rather than meet them in open combat, all you had to do was ask why they didn't have a defender to send them into conniptions.

Other teams would field entire teams of heavy artillery and have lists of the firing angles and directions needed to shell the enemy spawns into rubble without ever moving, giving the opposing team zero chance to even reach them or defend themselves. I never got any good with artillery, though, mostly because I thought it was a boring grief compared to trying to sneak past an enemy team and AI NPCs in a robot made of high-speed tissue paper.

The third and most hilarious win condition was time. If the timer ran out after about thirty minutes, the team that captured the most radio towers scattered across the map would win. This would let you create a fast, sneaky mech and spread landmines around, avoiding any fighting. If your team lost the fight, the remaining enemy forces would often be too low on ammunition to destroy your headquarters. This led to cat and mouse chases around the map as the much slower enemy team tried to catch you or capture more towers, complicated by the landmines which could easily cripple their legs and leave them moving at a snail's pace. Usually it would get to the point where teams would rage quit rather than putter around for 20 minutes and lose on what was essentially a TKO.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 9, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Wild T posted:

Playing the objective always pisses of the super serious crowd. I used to get constant hate mail in Chromehounds for it. In that game, two teams of mechs would spawn in a very large map, each with a base spawned randomly at one of three locations. To win, you could either destroy the enemy's mechs or their base. Most of the serious players would build cookie-cutter min/max mechs and ignore their own base, intent on slugging it out with the enemy team. I would build an ultralight, fast mech with no guns and four melee pile drivers, sneak around to their base and destroy it before the fight even began. Even better, occasionally a friend or two would join me as well to kill their base even faster.

The hilarious part is that of the various mech roles players could build, one was a dedicated defender class. These were slower and heavily armed and armored mechs with quick turn speeds, essentially a mobile turret meant to protect bases and other vulnerable mechs like command units or artillery. The catch is that almost no one played them because it was less fun to sit around waiting for an attack that may never happen when you could be on the frontlines shooting stuff. So when the other team would start complaining that you 'based' them rather than meet them in open combat, all you had to do was ask why they didn't have a defender to send them into conniptions.

Other teams would field entire teams of heavy artillery and have lists of the firing angles and directions needed to shell the enemy spawns into rubble without ever moving, giving the opposing team zero chance to even reach them or defend themselves. I never got any good with artillery, though, mostly because I thought it was a boring grief compared to trying to sneak past an enemy team and AI NPCs in a robot made of high-speed tissue paper.

The third and most hilarious win condition was time. If the timer ran out after about thirty minutes, the team that captured the most radio towers scattered across the map would win. This would let you create a fast, sneaky mech and spread landmines around, avoiding any fighting. If your team lost the fight, the remaining enemy forces would often be too low on ammunition to destroy your headquarters. This led to cat and mouse chases around the map as the much slower enemy team tried to catch you or capture more towers, complicated by the landmines which could easily cripple their legs and leave them moving at a snail's pace. Usually it would get to the point where teams would rage quit rather than putter around for 20 minutes and lose on what was essentially a TKO.

This reminds me of how I used to play Mechwarrior 4. I'd build the tiniest, most agile mech I could that could also hold a self-destruct bomb, then proceed to sort of lay low for a while until I could zero in on somebody's death stomper that had already taken a good amount of damage. That's when it was time to throw the switch.

It's been said before, but nothing pisses off a pub quite like a proper suicide attack.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

deadly_pudding posted:

This reminds me of how I used to play Mechwarrior 4. I'd build the tiniest, most agile mech I could that could also hold a self-destruct bomb, then proceed to sort of lay low for a while until I could zero in on somebody's death stomper that had already taken a good amount of damage. That's when it was time to throw the switch.

It's been said before, but nothing pisses off a pub quite like a proper suicide attack.
I used to do similar, but with an Uziel carrying a few flamers and artillery beacons. The trick was to dance around an overheating PPC boat dodging him juuuuuuust enough that he'd shut down if you flamed him while throwing down artillery strikes right on top of the two of you. Caused major rage if you could pull it off.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Plus you could always Ctrl-Z, causing a self-destruct, which did a stupid amount of damage in a range far longer than it should be. Due to shoddy programming the damage happened when you hit the button, not when the explosion happened, so it was basically undodgeable.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013
In a fps named Dust 514 tanks are currently overpowered, AV (anti vehicle weapons) were nerfed around the same time that they were buffed making a properly fitted tank almost unkillable. The way people have gotten around this has been using "Jihad Jeeps" where you call in an LAV (light armored vehicle, basically a car) and strap about 6 remote explosives onto the hood. The explosives will go off if an enemy shoots them or you ram them into something, something like a wall or a tank. In an added bonus to the fun the enemy is less likely to shoot your bombs if you stack them all on top of each other so you have a Jihad Jeep running into a tank with it's explosive penis of fiery justice and blowing them both up removing the much more expensive tank from play.

Hatemails are fairly common but the best is when the tanker goes on the game's forums to complain where they are mocked relentlessly for whining about their godtank being sullied by a mere mortal.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
This also works in Planetside 2. But instead of the Harasser, it's usually done with the Flash, an ATV that can also be fitted with a cloaking device and a grenade launcher. So you strap in a few bricks of C-4 on your Flash, and then switch back to an Infiltrator to use the cloaking device. You drive up to the target, uncloak and set off your explosives with the splash damage from your grenade launcher.

Both the Harasser and the Flash have a rumble seat, which can be used by a fellow Engineer to drop down mines or C-4 on the run. So if you have a buddy, you can flee and live to bomb someone else.

hirvox fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 10, 2014

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Jihad jeeps are also present in the Battlefield games and are a pretty well known and common tactic. If someone sees you careening towards a tank on a motorcycle, they'll assume you're doing a suicide bomber run. You can do a bit of a fake out by gunning towards a tank without any explosives. While tanks and LAVs can have machine gunners on them to help defend them, a lot of tanks drive solo (because pubs are dumb), and some vehicles are always single seaters. So if you manage to ram them, a lot of folk will panic and leap out of their deathmobile to either try to shoot you or to get away, leaving the vehicle unmanned. Which lets you steal it. And they don't get a new one until they blow you up.

It can get people a bit upset, which is understandable. Losing a game of chicken against a bike when you're in a tank is kind of embarrassing.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
I've stolen a tank with only a Glock in BF3. Just running up to a tank is enough to get pubs to eject even though I was a class without explosives.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This also works in Titanfall if you are jumping on the back of a titan without electric smoke.

Essentially, for those unfamiliar, you can jump on top of the mech and do a preset animation to take them out by shooting their core. If you jump on someone without countermeasures then they have to leave the titan to kill you.

So just jump on so they get the alert, immediately jump off and shoot them when they disembark. Saadly you can't hijack but it makes killing the mechanism much easier

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Another mechanic in Titanfall (one that needs serious adjustment) is the satchel charge, which has a ridiculous area of effect. Along with the usual use against mechs and ground forces in normal battle, one way to make players rage is in the Epilogue portion of the game, where surviving pilots on the losing side try to make an evacuation ship that shows up after 30 seconds. So you throw a charge or two down right where the ship's hatch will be and some poor bastard thinking he's safe gets blown up just before he can get inside.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 11, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It can get people a bit upset, which is understandable. Losing a game of chicken against a bike when you're in a tank is kind of embarrassing.
"A bit upset" is an understatement. Many Battlefield servers ban for Jihad Jeeping, and have since BF1942. Though, ironically, running an FAV up on someone and manually clapping your payload on the tank's engine block is a perfectly legitimate tactic to these people, despite the fact that it amounts to much the same thing.

In a few iterations of Battlefield this duality is deliciously exploitable. BF2142 had the exact right mix of things for that. In many games, when you bail out of a car, the car continues moving forward until it slows to a stop. Because friction. Well, in 2142, for whatever stupid-rear end reason, bailing out of a car would quadruple the coefficient of friction the car had with the ground, bringing it to a halt pretty quickly. You would think this would make the carbomber's job harder, but really it just meant you needed to blow yourself up a half dozen times before you got used to the stop time and blast radius.

Furthermore, 2142 was one of the first games that experimented with having classes fulfill multiple roles, based on their loadout. The 'Recon' class started out as a bog standard sniper, but with unlocks it could get a light assault carbine, the signature RDX/C4 explosives, and, most importantly, an active camo emitter that made you really hard to see at range. Up close you saw the Predator-like wavy lines and you tended to get shot in the face, but from a good 50 feet away it was super easy for someone to overlook you. This made the Recon class wildly good at sneaking into enemy strongpoints and stealing their equipment.

Enter me and my old buddy Justin on these stupid-rear end 'no Jihad Jeep' servers. We would two-man a squad where he played Squad Leader, Recon class with a beacon that let us respawn at it when we died. He would hide our beacon a decent bit off from enemy spawns as not to have it compromised, and then wait for most of the enemy team to leave with their heavy equipment like walkers and tanks. Me, playing the Support class, would hang out for a bit until he stole and returned an FAV and littered the grille of it with C4. I'd drop an ammo resupply for him to get his C4 back, put an infantry sonar thing on the back bumper, and speed off. I'd find an armored column and ram the jeep into it, bailing out just outside the blast radius, and scream at him to blow the charges over the mic. A walker or tank would go up in smoke, and since I'd had an infantry sonar on the back, I'd know where the infantry support was, and I'd immediately go charging at them with a shotgun. A fair bit of chaos and my inevitable demise later, I'd respawn at the beacon and we'd do it all again.

The rage, of course, was sweet and predictable. But what was an unexpected bonus was the utter CLUELESSNESS people had about it sometimes. They'd immediately see that they were killed by Justin and start bitching him out for Jihad Jeeping. He, of course, would say he has no idea what they're talking about, he's not even near the fight (and then prove it, by back-capping a flag). After that, it was a coin flip between them flipping out and accusing him of hacking, or disarming and going 'HUH MAN I DUNNO WHAT'S GOING ON THEN THIS STUPID GAME GOD'. Only one in every 20 or so victims would pick up on the fact that he could be using teamwork in a team-based game. This included one admin who culminated in banning everyone in our squad (3 of whom were pubbies we didn't know from Adam and Eve) because he was convinced we were cheating SOMEHOW.

BF2142 was remarkable among BF games because there were quite a number of relatively unexpected ways to die, and all of them pissed people off like crazy. Even Roadkills worked like this. The reason Roadkills were so horrible to do is because FAVs were horrendously fragile. A basic assault rifle could turn one to scrap with 2 mags. So if you got roadkilled, you kind of deserved it. You weren't paying attention and you were hanging out in the open like a dumbass.

This combined with the surprising suppressive ability of the stationary anti-tank installation in the game, the Rorsch rail gun. The Rorsch was intended to be anti-armor, but if you zoomed in with it, it became astoundingly accurate at a long range. After someone watches 2 fellow infantrymen get killed instantly and blown back 30 feet by taking a rail gun slug to the chest, they become pretty attached to their cover.

Killing people with the Rorsch was enough to piss off some of the more hair-trigger players, but to really, really salt the wound, you needed to combine it with a bigger insult that didn't respect their cover. So, one day when Justin and I were playing on a long map that somewhat resembled a big C, I realized that we were on our way to a win, so I hopped in a Rorsch to keep our enemies from advancing and whittling our advantage. Pretty quickly, they started grouping up behind a big hangar to wait for the walker to come by and give them a chance of dislodging me.

Justin, smelling an opportunity, took an FAV and took a circuitous back route that basically nobody ever took to get behind the squad I'd suppressed. Once there, he slammed the turbo boost and went tearing through the squad, racking up 2-4 kills and bowling them out from the hangar like tenpins into my view. Once was funny enough, but he did it another 6 times throughout the rest of the map. I was never removed due to a combination of a cleverly placed vehicle radar and some incompetent walker pilots on the other team, so Justin just kept tearing through this hiding spot and harvesting every slur on the planet for doing so. He ended the map by mentioning how many medals he'd gotten specifically for running people over (Wheels of Hazard pins), to a torrent of death wishes and gently caress you fags from the opposing team.

The icing on the cake here is that we got best squad for this performance...and we always named our squad 'GAYPRIDE' just to twist the knife a little bit more on the score screen. So everyone throwing homophobic slurs throughout the entire game then had to deal with the fact that they'd been turned inside out by two dudes who named their squad Gay Pride. This naming convention went on to pay even more dividends after, out of sheer boredom, we created two new soldiers named BATTLEPOPE (me) and BATTLEBISHOP (him). I'm Catholic and was well aware of the sex scandals, but absolutely did not predict the vitriol we got from the "No swearing on this Christian server" nerds. Most of whom would call me a sacrilegious rear end in a top hat and a papist bastard in alternating sentences. :psyduck:

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 10, 2014

Schnugaf
Mar 23, 2011

The Great Derposaurus
I remember 4-5 years ago me and the guys that I usually hung out with on Ventrilo were really bored, so we figured we'd look into some lovely mods for Source that we could waste our time on.
This was when we found two glorious games; "Massaker" Mod and "International Online Soccer Source", I will talk about the latter.

IOSS was basically a really badly coded and unfinished soccer game for source, it was so down to basics and felt like a first person view of the first fifa games, but still hilarious to play.
I remember there being about 7 servers that surprisingly had quite a bit of traffic on them considering the mod.
But we did our usual thing and played loud digdug remix music and screamed "TOUCHDOWN THURMAN THOMAS" over and over again across the voip whenever we got the ball into the goal.
Someone kicked the ball outside though, and I was randomly selected to throw the ball in again, I decided I would waste as much time as possible and just stood there.
That was when the first amazing glitch happened, the ball fell on the ground.

Basically when you are throwing the ball out on the field, players can only come so close until they hit an invisible wall, but now that the ball had fallen to the ground with me still in my throwing animation, I could kick the ball around and prevent any players from getting close to me. So basically free goals. We had a lot of fun with this.

We started getting tired of playing it and I don't know exactly who, I think it might have been me, that decided to go "gently caress it" and threw the ball onto the audience several times in a row respawning the ball in my hands for an endless loop. However, there was one sweet spot amongst the audience, and if the ball was thrown into that sweet spot, low and behold, the server would crash.

And that is how we crashed all the servers of IOSS several times a day for a couple of weeks.

PS: Massaker is the best mod for general time waste with friends, it is a neglected gem in the modding community.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
About five pages back (I just caught up with the thread again) someone mentioned mob trains.

I don't know how many folks here played Anarchy Online, but back in the old days, almost NOTHING was tethered to its spawn points, and you could do some ridiculous poo poo. Now, many of the endgame areas were separated by teleporters or separate floors (Inner Sanctum, Mantis Caverns, etc etc) but there was one low level zone that had none of that: The Temple of Three Winds. ToTW, as we called it, was sort of a newbie rite of passage. It could only be accessed by players level 60 and under. Thing is, in Anarchy, a "new" level 60 and a "twinked" level 60 were two completely different things.

That might require some explanation: levels go to 200 and go faster than levels do in most MMOs. You can grind a character from 1 to at least 75 in a day now, and a good level 60 twink only took maybe a week to make even in the old days. A lot of that was finding the right level implants. These are things that make your character stronger and you can use them in every slot even from level 1.

So you could make a super 60 and solo most of the instance, if not all of it (some classes could solo the end boss, some just didn't have the tools to beat its various phases, like where it stuns, etc) - but that's not the fun part. Only one boss, and NOT the final one, had an actual tether. They would reset if you got too far away from them, but they could be trained to anywhere in the instance, along with every single trash mob along the way. You just couldn't be out of their range for too long.

Of course, that means you have to be able to take a lot of damage. So a friend and I made twin level 60 twinked the gently caress out Doctors. They're the best healing class by far (I mean, makes sense) and also have good tools (damage over time nanos, basically spells) to keep aggro on mobs so they wouldn't reset if we got out of range for a few seconds. We would get the last boss to his final form, run like hell, then split up and go after the two side minibosses, then join up to grab the central mini off respawn (if he wasn't camped, but most of the time he was - this also got rid of those drat campers!) on the way back to the last boss.

So we'd have Aztur, Lien, the other side dipshit and sometimes the Guardian (he was camped a lot and was also very hard to glitch through the door, since he doesn't actually fit through it), along with all the cultists we didn't have to kill (usually respawns on the way back) chasing us all the way back to the very front of the instance where sometimes the players are just level 30 and farming the lowest level mobs in there for quick XP. Of course we'd just disengage and run off when there was a group of players, and we'd lose aggro once those guys were closer than us to the mobs. Sometimes we'd get help and there would be so many mobs that the game slowed down to a slideshow and literally everyone in the entire instance died if they couldn't get out the door fast enough.

When we knew it was too late we'd just shout out "ALL ABOARD" while usually listening to Crazy Train, and go hide somewhere and heal while the mob we unleashed started slaughtering everyone. God drat those were good times. I wish I had videos of ToTW trains, because it's really hard to explain 40+ dark cloaked cultists along with two 8 foot tall minibosses and a huge glowing red bastard that stands 3x the height of your player gleefully murdering everyone in sight with a 10 foot fire sword.

Back in those days, death in AO instantly sent you back to your last spawn point (well, it still does that) and you lost all XP since the last time you either gained a level or bought insurance. Those were a pain, but nothing big at low levels since you'll get that XP back fast. The best part was (and this also still exists!) resurrection sickness. You had to wait several minutes for your stats to regenerate, and during that time you didn't even have the skills to use your gear, and its effectiveness was drastically reduced.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 12, 2014

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
Sometimes you guys post SS13 textwalls. This is probably better than all of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz2beUGhizQ

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You should post his other video which is way way better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4WI58j8Q8

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
People posting in this thread about griefing MOBA's are just griefing themselves by playing a MOBA.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Tokit posted:

People posting in this thread about griefing MOBA's are just griefing themselves by playing a MOBA.

What an insightful and original observation. :frogout:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Perdido posted:

Another great thing is that in EQ hit detection was turned on for character models. Cue players rolling level 1 Ogres (largest character model in the game) and taking naps in doorways to places like the bank.

Or a group of them forming a line and blocking access in the Commons tunnels.

The best grief using hit detection was in the Shadows of Luclin zone called The Bazaar. This zone let you turn your character into a merchant and essentially AFK sell whatever gear you wanted to sell. There was no automated auction system in place prior to this, so it was all sitting in the East Commons tunnel shouting your rear end off to get someone to buy your poo poo until this zone was implemented.

In a... questionable design decision, The Bazaar also included a free-for-all PVP arena. If you walked into that area, anyone could attack you.

The grief was this. Someone would cast a levitate spell on the intended victim (in my server's case, a total dickwad who everyone hated). Then, a player on an Ogre character would gently nudge them, because levitate caused your character to bob up and down. Ogre hitboxes weren't a cube. There was a slight bulge at their gut. If the Ogre was slightly reduced in size, any race would bob just high enough that the Ogre could get their gut under their feet, and on the downward fall, the other player would slide off. We're talking maybe 6 inches to a foot of movement, in total.

After 3 hours of buffing, shrinking, nudging, steering, and rear end-numbing boredom, we got the player-merchant in to the arena, and killed it. Then we crashed the zone. This caused two things to happen. One, everyone who was in the zone at the time was disconnected from the game, but not the server. Two, this triggered the two hour timer on a corpse. If you were logged in to the game and had a corpse anywhere, you could get a resurrection within 2 hours and not suffer any experience loss. This didn't apply to a PVP death, but the other downside of having a corpse in game did apply. Corpses could "rot". As in disappear, along with anything you had on them at the time. The amount of time this required was drastically shortened if you were logged in, from 1 week to 1 day.

This guy had made it well known he was out of town for the weekend before he set up shop.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

Azurrat posted:

What an insightful and original observation. :frogout:

DOTA2 player spotted

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Tokit posted:

DOTA2 player spotted

More like 'dude who said what about 100 other equally clever people in this topic have already said' spotted.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Kruller posted:

The best grief using hit detection was in the Shadows of Luclin zone called The Bazaar. This zone let you turn your character into a merchant and essentially AFK sell whatever gear you wanted to sell. There was no automated auction system in place prior to this, so it was all sitting in the East Commons tunnel shouting your rear end off to get someone to buy your poo poo until this zone was implemented.

In a... questionable design decision, The Bazaar also included a free-for-all PVP arena. If you walked into that area, anyone could attack you.

The grief was this. Someone would cast a levitate spell on the intended victim (in my server's case, a total dickwad who everyone hated). Then, a player on an Ogre character would gently nudge them, because levitate caused your character to bob up and down. Ogre hitboxes weren't a cube. There was a slight bulge at their gut. If the Ogre was slightly reduced in size, any race would bob just high enough that the Ogre could get their gut under their feet, and on the downward fall, the other player would slide off. We're talking maybe 6 inches to a foot of movement, in total.

After 3 hours of buffing, shrinking, nudging, steering, and rear end-numbing boredom, we got the player-merchant in to the arena, and killed it. Then we crashed the zone. This caused two things to happen. One, everyone who was in the zone at the time was disconnected from the game, but not the server. Two, this triggered the two hour timer on a corpse. If you were logged in to the game and had a corpse anywhere, you could get a resurrection within 2 hours and not suffer any experience loss. This didn't apply to a PVP death, but the other downside of having a corpse in game did apply. Corpses could "rot". As in disappear, along with anything you had on them at the time. The amount of time this required was drastically shortened if you were logged in, from 1 week to 1 day.

This guy had made it well known he was out of town for the weekend before he set up shop.

That is fantastic. The corpse rot mechanic in Everquest was pretty vicious back then (although I think it was supposedly better than other MMOs at the time). So, every time you died you left a corpse with all your gear. Your corpse would rot after a specific amount of time, with it occurring much faster if you were online. You could also leave many corpses, if you died a bunch of times.

If you died deep in a dungeon and there wasn't a cleric or necromancer to resurrect you, you were left with a few options. Since resurrection spells targeted your corpse, you needed to get it back in order to get your (very expensive) equipment and have a chance at recovering some of your lost XP. You could consent for the group you were with to drag your corpse behind them when they fought their way back out of the dungeon, with the risk that they could drag your corpse anywhere in the dungeon if they wanted to. You could also try to run naked through the dungeon (hopefully with a speed-enhancing spell on you), get to your corpse and either loot it quick or drag it to a zone boundary as a train of mobs followed. Looting your corpse wasn't even a quick process always, because (if I recall correctly) it didn't put your equipment back on, so you didn't have enough inventory slots to loot most of your stuff at once. And if you died in the middle of looting your corpse that made things worse, as your stuff was now spread across 2 corpses. On top of that, the XP penalty would continue to be applied for every death you got while trying to retrieve your corpse (as well as the deaths from naked running to the entrance of whatever zone you died in, which might be a hugely dangerous undertaking to begin with).

If you were lucky, you could pay a Necromancer to come with you and summon your corpse once you were in the zone you died, and then resurrect you to restore some portion of your lost XP. That was often expensive (or it was until Planes of Power made travelling across the world pretty easy) since it might take like an hour to pull off.

I think they might have made this system more gentle in recent years (maybe the ability to summon your corpse from a different zone? and maybe no equipment loss?), but it seriously added a huge amount of tension to the game. Losing all your equipment to corpse rot was pretty rare (I think I only had it happen once at low level) because the consequences were that severe--you might loss equipment that took several raids to drop, or dumb quest rewards that might take weeks to complete. So, not only did it give you a strong incentive not to die, it made simple griefs like wiping a party at the bottom of a dungeon (that required going through another dungeon to reach) extremely satisfying.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Not sure if this is a troll, but I used to play a game (read back in 2004) called Knights Online. This was a f2p mmo that had amazing pvp. The pvp zone was set up as two camps for each nation and these camps were surrounded by npc archer towers that would 2-3 shot most characters trying to enter.

However, (being the lazy nerd that I was) I had gotten my warrior to max out the offensive tree (like most did) but had then continued to level (67 I was the only one on the server above lvl 66) so I had picked up two huge defensive perks in the defensive side of the tree.

What I would do is party with two clerics, and three mages. I would equip my defensive gear, run into their base while being spam healed, this would draw all the towers shots and allow the mages to aoe spam all the afkers in the safe zone.

I still wouldn't call this truly a troll except for the fact that at the time if you died to pvp in the pvp zone you were auto revived in the middle of the safe zone (where my mages were spam casting high dmg aoe) we did this for about a month straight, until next patch there was an notification you had to accept saying you had died in the pvp zone :(.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I play age of wushu, a kung fu mmo and occasionally I mess with people who are dueling. Most duelists aren't aware that they can still be attacked by outside players, until I just run and headbutt them to death or start knocking them off their feet with vomit. Sometimes I do ranged attacks from where they can't see to knock them off their feet or break their blocks, one guy is convinced that he has serious ping problems due to this sort of thing and is going to start drilling holes in his place so he can run some cable instead of relying on wireless.

I also like teaching new players how to fight in mass combat as a team then having them jump some random person while I play healing music, which makes them heal 3% of their health every second. Coupled with the hit and run CC tactics I taught them a very valuable lesson about ancient Chinese honor is learned while being suplexed to death by people who've only being playing a few hours. :kiddo:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Everquest today is a lot more forgiving. You can summon corpses to a convenient lobby zone by paying a small amount of money to npcs, and you keep all your gear. There are also npc clerics that can resurrect you. Some complain this waters down the challenge, but the old way was just too unfair to certain classes. A naked caster could still teleport, turn invisible, and cast all their other spells, while a naked warrior could punch something twice before dying a second time.

Fun fact about the consent command: in addition to letting people drag your corpse, it originally allowed them to loot your corpse as well. Its intended use was to let your friends retrieve your possessions for you, but it's quite obvious where things could go wrong with it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

You should post his other video which is way way better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4WI58j8Q8

Daman posted:

Sometimes you guys post SS13 textwalls. This is probably better than all of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz2beUGhizQ

Weird seeing these here. I'm friends with most of these guys. The stories they told in Mumble were loving hilarious.

For [related, somewhat lovely] content:
Some of those guys, myself, and a few more people were playing on one of those super serious roleplaying modes in ARMA 2. Usually we did a gimmick, like we were people from Breaking Bad, or schizophrenics or something. My favorite moment was when, during the middle of the a huge battle between two factions, we decided to spread peace in the Middle East by becoming the Takistani Teens, a hip boy band. We used dance animations in the middle of battlefields and it went about as unfunnily as expected, until we did make peace in the Middle East.
However, that peace was conditional on our deaths.
So, the lesson is the solution to the Middle East crisis is a tour of dancing Takistanis

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Tokit posted:

You got people posting about how they still play World of Warcraft in 2014 and this is what you go with.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

You got people posting about how they still play World of Warcraft in 2014 and this is what you go with.

Hey, it got two people mad so far so :shrug:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
jokes on them, I was only PRETENDING to be retarded

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

Tokit posted:

It's not that you said it as much as you may be the hundredth person to say it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tokit posted:

Looks like the griefing thread is...

GRIEFING ITSELF :haw:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

If someone has been playing WoW since release, they have payed Blizzard around $2000 to do so. This is for a single game where you often do the same stuff over and over each week.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Machai posted:

If someone has been playing WoW since release, they have payed Blizzard around $2000 to do so. This is for a single game where you often do the same stuff over and over each week.

Actually, $2000 for a decade of video games seems pretty reasonable. At current prices that's a little more than 3 current gen games a year and most people seem to spend more than that anyway.

Bonald Farndhardt
Apr 18, 2005
Ye it up
Esteban Winsmore's latest masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogCe48Du96U

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EVE Online has been pretty awesome lately, or at least as awesome as a bad open world game about spaceships can get. There's still all of the normal admin-sanctioned scams and ganks that generate a bottomless trough of tears from autistic manbabies that people have read about many times before in this very thread, so here are some stories that you may not be aware of:

The N3 Hellcamp -- At this point in the game, there are basically two relevant factions: goons + goon friends (The ClusterFuck Coalition) and people who hate goons (N3 Coalition). Goons decided to help out one of the smaller factions, a group made up mostly of Russians that we've had a long love/hate relationship with, to take back some space that the N3 Coalition currently owned. Eventually this turned into a full-scale conflict, and by February the Russians had taken enough space from N3 that N3 was now staging all of their ships out of a single station.

By February, an opportunity to take this station presented itself. You can't actually destroy stations, but you can seize control of them and then restrict people from docking. You can't steal the assets in the station that others own, but if no one can dock then all of those ships and modules are trapped. The call went out, and a fuckton of CFC members dropped on the station and blew up anything trying to get in or out. Huge blobs of warp disruption bubbles were deployed all around the station, and the CFC maintained an enormous fleet around the station 24 hours/day for an entire week until ownership of the station changed hands. A few breakouts were attempted, but failed. The station changed hands, and furious pubbies could only watch in despair as tons of expensive ships and modules became completely inaccessible to them.

Burn Jita 3 occurred last weekend and was a great success, smashing the records from the previous years. In EVE, a large amount of space is "highsec", meaning high security. In these systems, if you shoot a ship unprovoked then a huge pile of NPCs spawn on your location and blow you up. A lot of pubbies falsely believe that living in highsec means that they are completely safe, so they do boring things like shoot space rocks and haul goods from one place to another while mostly AFK. But many goons (and other groups) enjoy traversing highsec in cheap high-DPS ships that can easily blow up a low-HP and often-expensive mining vessel.

Burn Jita is an annual event where tons and tons of CFC members descend on the game's single major trade hub, the Jita system, with only a single objective: destroy all of the freighters. This is the third year that this event has been running, and the event's announcement was made a week in advance, giving everyone plenty of warning to not try to transport things in or out of Jita during that 3-day period. Despite that, we were still running 2 simultaneous Burn Jita fleets that were each killing a freighter every 15-20 minutes throughout the weekend. A freighter has a ton of health but is slow to enter warp and can be prevented from warping by basically bumping into it with a high-mass ship, so the fleet would have a few heavy ships and scouting vessels watching for freighters or extremely expensive mining vessels in Jita and the surrounding systems, while hundreds of goons would warp in with cheap high-DPS ships (which are distributed for free by CFC members, and also reimbursed by the CFC so that the people flying them are actually getting paid to do so) and all suicide on the freighter at the same time. This spawns an enormous pile of NPC police that proceed to blow up all of those cheap CFC ships, generating horrible amounts of lag that slows down the entire system to 10% of normal speed (the game actually has a mechanic for displaying this).

Sometimes we lag the system so badly that the NPC police become buggy and one of two things happen:
1) The NPC police will randomly start shooting everyone, even those who were uninvolved. This results in more pubbie deaths

2) The NPC police will ignore suicide ganks, and we can start indiscriminately killing everyone instead of just seeking out high-value targets every 15-20 minutes due to game mechanics

Best of all is that Burn Jita is actually a profitable venture. The freighters often drop some very valuable stuff, so the fleet has a few guys waiting around to scoop the loot. The suicided ships are already handed out for free and covered by the bottomless CFC warchest, but the freighter loot likely covers all of those losses anyway.

Burn Jita also results in some great artwork:

The most recent damage estimate is that we blew up about 580 billion ISK worth of ships. If you were to convert this to USD, it'd be approximately $12000 (you can use real money to buy an in-game item that can be used to add subscription time to your account). Goons dealt about $12000 worth of damage to pubbies in a weekend. And that's a somewhat conservative estimate, buying only the largest PLEX pack using a discount that gets applied every year during fanfest.

Another fun detail: so many goons pile into Jita that during peak hours no additional people can enter the system. This results in pubbie freighters (which are often autopiloted) sitting idle on the Jita stargate, completely defense and ripe for destruction. This only makes our job easier.

EVE developers grief the DUST fanbase -- DUST 514 is a Playstation 3 FPS that is attached to the EVE Online universe. It's free-to-play and generally considered to be a bad game, but there are still plenty of people who play it, including horrible pubbies. It has the same sort of skill-progression system as EVE; you select which skills to train and they train over time, even while you're logged off, with some skills taking potentially months to learn. Being F2P, there are also a lot of real-money things that you can buy, including various cosmetic things

EVE Fanfest 2014 is a big EVE Online (including DUST 514) convention in Iceland (where the developers are headquartered) where people gather each year to talk about Eve and hear about the latest Eve-related developments, sort of like Blizzard's Blizzcon. Yesterday at EVE Fanfest the developers announced that they were working on a new FPS for the PC called Legion and were eagerly hyping up some of the planned features for a game that is basically in pre-pre-pre-alpha

The announcement infuriated pubbies, who began biomassing (deleting) their DUST characters en masse while simultaneously demanding that the developers should transfer characters from DUST to Legion. The forums have been boiling amazing pubbie stories like this one:

quote:

It's really hard for me to explain things. I never heard of CCP until I became involved in DUST 514. A free FPS that looked like a solid game. I really enjoyed being able to be a part of this from the ground up as a beta player and all. Sure the game had its faults, but they were being fixed and with the players help, my help, we shaped it into something solid. I felt like I was part of a strange family, sure a digital one, but family.

Then I hear about this Fanfest and CCP really pushing DUST players to come up to Iceland and enjoy the party on top of the world. A party with the rest of the family and to meet EVE players as well as other DUST players. I am a family man and really wanted my family to experience the CCP and EVE family. We flew up here to join in on the Fanfest activities. My wife and little boy. Hopefully will try to get him another sibling to pick on later this year! (still trying)

At first things were great. It was interesting to walk around and introduce yourself as a DUST only player and everyone was so friendly. I meet a ton of people. Things were great. Finally, after all the other stuff we get to the DUST presentation. For a moment I felt special. This was a presentation about me and the rest of my friends who play DUST. A presentation for us and to become closer to the rest of this family here at CCP and with EVE. Everyone around me knew I was a DUST only player it seemed.

Never in all my life have I been this utterly embarrassed to be somewhere. To really feel executed on the spot and all eyes on you. I felt like the biggest fool in the universe. My wife just covered her mouth and looked at me with pity. It felt as if everyone was looking at me for a reaction.

Every single moment after that it seemed like my family and I had leprosy. People steered clear and ended conversations as fast as possible and vanished. I just don't know how else to explain it. I have never in all my life felt this betrayed and publicly humiliated.

I wish I never came up here.

There are other little details that piss off the pubbies to no end

Goonswarm is basically a socialist utopia, and we make enough money from taxes and other resources that we're able to pay people to go blow up ships. Not only are lost ships fully reimbursed, but we offer a huge bonus on top of that, so pilots are actually making a profit just to go out and die. We were even able to pay people to suicide ships into freighters during Burn Jita 3, even when those ships were provided for free. The fact that our players are paid to die pisses off pubbies to no end.

There's a council of players called the CSM who meet with developers and help guide the direction of game development. The players vote for members of the CSM. Since we have a large number of players and are a well-organized group, every year we get at least 75% of the seats locked down with people that we like.

Manufacturing in EVE Online has been mostly unchanged since the game launched, and recently the developers announced a bunch of new manufacturing changes that are basically going to make the entire system better... unless you're a horrible highsec pubbie who hates change. Some pubbies are so stupid that they'll pay an absurd amount of money for in-game blueprints that would take hypothetically take 10 years just to break even on (ignoring things like opportunity cost). These changes are going to make these blueprints slightly less valuable, so at this year's fanfest a guy stood up in front of the Manufacturing panel and basically demanded that they reimburse him the value of one of these insanely-valuable blueprints that he had recently purchased. This prompted a developer to comment that they were going to nerf or possibly remove these blueprints in the future

At fanfest this week the developers just announced some new vessels that are going to make it way easier to gank miners in highsec

The developers have recently unveiled a big statue with every in-game character's name on it for some stupid reason. My best guess is that it's meant to be a monument to stupidity. During fanfest this week, someone put a sticker of the CFC logo on the statue. This was apparently sacrilege because it generated page upon page of rage on the forums. Any sane voice of "it's a sticker get over it" was drowned in a sea of "BAN ALL GOONS FOREVER FOR THIS INDIGNITY TO MY HONOR", all over a tiny sticker of a bee on a statue that most of these players will never even visit.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

QuarkJets posted:

EVE developers grief the DUST fanbase -- DUST 514 is a Playstation 3 FPS that is attached to the EVE Online universe. It's free-to-play and generally considered to be a bad game, but there are still plenty of people who play it, including horrible pubbies. It has the same sort of skill-progression system as EVE; you select which skills to train and they train over time, even while you're logged off, with some skills taking potentially months to learn. Being F2P, there are also a lot of real-money things that you can buy, including various cosmetic things

EVE Fanfest 2014 is a big EVE Online (including DUST 514) convention in Iceland (where the developers are headquartered) where people gather each year to talk about Eve and hear about the latest Eve-related developments, sort of like Blizzard's Blizzcon. Yesterday at EVE Fanfest the developers announced that they were working on a new FPS for the PC called Legion and were eagerly hyping up some of the planned features for a game that is basically in pre-pre-pre-alpha

The announcement infuriated pubbies, who began biomassing (deleting) their DUST characters en masse while simultaneously demanding that the developers should transfer characters from DUST to Legion. The forums have been boiling amazing pubbie stories like this one:

So a bunch of puppies got infuriated that there's going to be a game on the PC that may or may not be even related to EVE or DUST 514 at all? What a bunch of spergs. It's always hilarious to see pubbies rage out and make demands that no one in their right mind in the real world would even consider to be sane or close to legitimate. Reminds of me of Planetside 2 where every time a weapon or ability is changed slightly, even if its been known to be obscenely over-powered and nerfed, or made slightly better to be competitive, there are cries for refunds.

• Locked thread