Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs

GetWellGamers posted:

The other player would be instantly devoured by the "Sharks" waiting below, and because the NPC guards had to run all the way down and around to get into the water, by the time they actually got to the water they would have ran far enough to trigger the "no kiting" response and they'd run back. Rinse and repeat.

BB guards had a range distance? I've walked halfway up Stranglethorn healing myself through the abuse, and still haven't been able to shake them off. Does the kiting feature only kick in if they're not actually attacking you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Necronomiconomist posted:

BB guards had a range distance? I've walked halfway up Stranglethorn healing myself through the abuse, and still haven't been able to shake them off. Does the kiting feature only kick in if they're not actually attacking you?

It may be before the recent "upgrades". Now, they don't even have to follow you, in the Shark Attack grief, they could just shoot you from the dock. They made town PvP almost non-existant, except for 70 druids that can kill lowbies real quick and then get out of there by shape-shifting.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I suppose that's the nature of rule-bending griefing in MMOs; they can always patch a fix to it. v:shobon:v

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Thunder Malloy posted:

The Halo 3 Plasma Pistol is probably the best griefing weapon ever. For anyone unfamiliar, it's basically impossible to kill anybody with it, but you can make people vulnerable to a one-shot death from pretty much any other weapon. On top of that, if you shoot a vehicle, it takes down all of the riders' shields and disables the vehicle for a good 3 - 4 seconds. And you can just keep on doing this until you run out of ammo.

It's so simple, yet it infuriates people. And every once in a while, something grand happens like it did last night when I was doing this:

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/Minor_H3_Griefing/398836
Well I know what I'm doing with my free month of Xbox Live. Wish there were more H3 griefing stories really, it seems like it would be so easy to do with the kind of people who play on Live.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Kifisonfire posted:

Well I know what I'm doing with my free month of Xbox Live. Wish there were more H3 griefing stories really, it seems like it would be so easy to do with the kind of people who play on Live.

My god you have no idea. All you need to do is make a comment about gay people and half the time there's someone on your team who really hates 'em.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.
I don't know if any one remembers Tanarus on sonystation.com But for a while it was free, along with Cosmic Rift and Infantry ( actually I think its free again, but I couldnt get it to run on Vista) It was an old 3d tank game with a Command and control style play, along with races or capter the flag.

Well I would always get the heavyest tank with the largest inventory. Now you could equip lasers, SABOT, and HEAT rounds. (I believe there were a few others but this was years ago) Well I would forego lasers and load as many HEAT rounds as possible, as well as some battery packs and jump boosters.

HEAT rounds did little damage unless you hit them directly, but they made a shock wave that nudged the other tank. If you got 3 or 4 other tanks you could do some good damage bombarding a choke point. Since unlike SABOT, HEAT rounds arced through the air.

I would get bored and load up the afore mentioned setup and jump booster into a hard to reach place on the edge of the map and annoy the poo poo out of any one within range (which was pretty much every one I could arc a shot at) They called it Heating, and it drove people nuts. This was before the time of voice chat, but you could tell you pissed some one off when they made it their lifes' mission to hunt you down.

Spawn Heating was the best, especially if they had mines protecting their base entrances. The only down side was that HEAT rounds had a smoke trail.

As a matter of fact I found this: http://www.download.com/Tanarus-large-install-/3000-7560_4-10008088.html?hhTest=1 Which says its compatible with Vista, so I'm going to try and get back on.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone have any idea where team roomba got their sound effects they used in their Insurgency griefing video?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

tranceMiNuS posted:

I don't think this guy has been mentioned yet, by far my favorite griefing stories have come from this site, and in my opinion he is much funnier and a way bigger dick than the other UO griefers I've seen mentioned so far.

http://www.spleens.net/

(Click shots on the left)

I'm pretty sure someone posted this earlier, but when a thread is pushing 50 pages there's no foul in posting such a great link again. The stories at that site (e.g. "Bastard Island") are hilarious.

El_Geeko
Dec 7, 2004

Goddammit, this thread has made me cave and register a secondlife account. The signup seems to be down or something though because the "activating your account" page hasn't refreshed in forever for me =/

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Quite some time ago I played on a MUD called Abandoned Reality. AR was a mix of pk and RP, but my friends and i just asshatted about pking people. There was this one guy in particular we tormented. The most notable time was when i was logged into a mage, and my friend was on his warrior. We just happened across the guy (he would usually logoff if he saw us online) in the middle of town and i instinctively cast a time stop to freeze him. Then I use a spell, infamous on the MUD for being a bitch spell which breaks open carried containers on the inventory, and manage to break open his bag on the first try spilling all his poo poo into the street. My warrior friend then hits the guy for massive damage because he was paralyzed and ends up killing him in six hits, a single round of combat. We loot him dry and take his junk to some random cave to divy up our new finds.

While dropping and sacrificing most of the items I for some reason do this sparkle cantrip that makes all the light sources in a room twinkle with a room echo and we see one that isn't one of ours... So an admin decloaks and starts chatting us up about being lame griefers and what not when I decide to just cast sleep on him and it actually worked. The guy was a new admin so he didn't know how to wake himself up from it via commands. Since i added a lot of sorcery to the spell he was asleep for a good 30 minutes in which time our PK timers had worn off and we simply logged off having ganked an admin and a super sword an admin gave to a player.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Necronomiconomist posted:

Healing yourself reaggros them and extends their leash. This is how you kite things.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
I used to play on Neverwinter Nights RP servers, some of which took themselves far too seriously. I had never griefed before, nor since - I'm just not a griefer, though I find most of these stories hilarious - but occasionally I would victimize servers with the "Invisible Bear" trick. It's been a while since I played so don't quote me on the details.

You see, if you played a ranger or druid, you had access to an ability called Animal Empathy. If the ability was successful, it made a hostile creature part of your party for a period of time. The creature would refrain from attacking other players and would follow you around. Skill checks in NWN were not capped by level, so there was no theoretical limit to how powerful a creature you could control provided you were lucky and had made your character to maximize animal empathy. In many servers, rings of animal empathy (providing a bonus to the skill) were not hard to find because it was generally considered a worthless skill, and skill buff items were generally quite cheap.

Animal Empathy, however, could be canceled, and when it ended the creature would revert to its previous hostile state. The basic bear trick went something like this:

a) Find biggest, meanest animal you can. A Dire Bear (huge, obscenely strong bear that can rip low/mid-level characters apart) will do nicely.
b) Use animal empathy on bear. If it fails, you will probably die, but you can always respawn and try it again. Sooner or later you are bound to roll a 20 and succeed.
c) Go into a populated area where low-level players gather, preferably at a time in which nobody is around.
d) Tell the animal to stay, then go hide somewhere in the same area far from the animal.
e) Wait until the area is crowded with players, and then cancel Animal Empathy.
f) Watch carnage from a safe distance.

This became the "Invisible Bear" technique when I paired up with a friend of mine who was playing a sorcerer (and could thus cast invisibility). With the dire bear invisible, I could stroll into town and leave the bear without anybody noticing (nobody has detect spells on in no-PVP gathering areas), and then have my friend make me invisible to watch the ensuing chaos.

Basically, the bear would go hostile, and attack the nearest person it saw. The first time I did this, the person was a 2nd-level player alt of an admin, sitting around a campfire with a bunch of other players. The bear crits on its first hit; from everyone else's point of view, the admin alt abruptly screams and keels over in a shower of blood, replaced by a giant loving bear that just came out of thin air. And half of the players around the campfire were AFK. The bear proceeded to murder them along with every other player who wasn't fast enough to get away. Two NPC guards came over to stop it; they exploded in fountains of gore. This was also the area where players appeared when they logged into the server, so several kills were made within seconds of logins, followed by chats from dead bodies of "WTF BEAR." In NWN, if you're logged in as a player, you have to quit and restart the whole game to enter the DM client, so it took several minutes for the aforementioned admin to return with DM powers and remove the bear, by which time the zone was entirely empty.

The beauty of it was that it was impossible for a player to determine who had done it, since the bear ceased to become part of my party as soon as it became hostile. Admins could see us, of course, but the one time I was caught I RP'd my way out of it, bullshitting about how I was an evil druid hell-bent on a jihad against all urban areas and their miserable inhabitants. The admin threatened to ban me for PKing low level players, but I pointed out that I was actually low-level too and not technically in violation of the rule, since it was hardly my fault that animal empathy let me control retardedly strong creatures with a lucky roll.

The very next day, taking charmed animals into no-PVP zones was made against the rules on that server.

Glass Hand fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 4, 2008

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Glass Hand posted:

:byobear:

I don't have much to add to this besides :iia:, but since you don't have PMs I'm expressing my adulation for you name/avatar here. One of my favorite Outer Limits episodes ever. :gonk::hf::gonk:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I don't think this link has been mentioned in the thread: http://www.ventriloharassment.org/1-10.htm

Some guy with a bunch of soundboards that enters random Ventrilo servers. Watch them in order to get the jokes in the later ones. My personal favorites are 'Predator' and 'Duke Nukem Forever.'

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bashez posted:

Healing yourself reaggros them and extends their leash. This is how you kite things.
I was hoping no one would mention this to him, I was amusing myself by visualising him running around with a pack of monsters on his rear end, spam-casting on himself, going "Why won't they leave me alone!? They only chase me this far, noone else!" :laugh:

Oversized_Gidding
Jan 13, 2006

Stokes posted:

I don't think this link has been mentioned in the thread: http://www.ventriloharassment.org/1-10.htm

Some guy with a bunch of soundboards that enters random Ventrilo servers. Watch them in order to get the jokes in the later ones. My personal favorites are 'Predator' and 'Duke Nukem Forever.'

35 was completely hilarious, pretty boring start but by the end, oh man.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Stokes posted:

Bahaha some of those are awesome, but I'm glad I didn't try to play them at work. ;)

The "Koreans" one on the front page was awesome, and "extreme edition" was pretty hilarious when the chick started going on about the magic bot linked to a website full of celebrity voices that he'd somehow linked to ventrilo to automagivcally respond to people correctl-STOP WHINING! STOP WHINING! STOP WHINING!

"Get your mother!" "uh no dude, she's sleeping" "don't bullshit me, get your mother!"

Thanks for posting this, I am gonna waste all night listening to these now.. :laugh:

Oh poo poo, I always wondered where that "4 strength 4 stam leahter belt URGHHH AUUUGHHH!!!" came from. I'm loving DYING here, crying I'm laughing so hard.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 5, 2008

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

After waxing poetic over Vendetta Online in the badassery thread, I decided to resub and was reminded why I love this game.

Docking with a station is simple: Fly into the docking port and push "enter". Well the ports are small, small enough that the biggest player ship barely fits. So what did I do? I bought something bigger.

Raptors are like pancakes. Big, flat, but very long and wide. I bought one, loaded it with mine layers full of Grappling mines (No damage, but they slow you down and drain energy) and parked it outside of a station used by a "raiding" guild of sorts as home base. Then I turned it on its side and dropped my mines.

Word of a Hive queen got around, and this bunch of scrappy pilots showed up to kill her. And one by one, they clotted up outside the docking bay. Now, a few important facts:
1) Impact with another ship does damage. A more massive ship will do more damage.
2) Grapple mines will make you drift.
3) Hive queens leave a sector after their resources run out.
The most common Hive queen killer is, of course, a raptor, and the strategy for killing them is simple: Rush in, empty all your tubes, rush out, repeat. So a Queen-hunting ship is heavy but agile. It was like watching a car accident as they ran into each other, eventually pushing their impact damage past the security threshhold and bringing the police over. This sent the entire station into a sort of riot, with stray shots hitting innocents and even more people getting caught up in the fight.

----

It's also pretty drat fun to be a pirate, and let people go if they answer trivia questions or sing to me on voice chat.

The_Hatt
Apr 29, 2005

For three days, I and two other goons ruined Tremulous.

The game had just come out, and there was a big thread in games which caught one of ours' attention so we turned to that, as we were bored of fagging up second life. Originally we started to play straight, but at that stage I think there was a fair bit of imbalance; I remember hating bugs because the starting bug was poo poo. Marines weren't much better in my opinion, but they had turrets and, potentially, lots of them. I don't remember which of us had the brilliant innovation of using turrets exclusively to defend our reactor, but we soon discovered that getting rid of the extra useless bits like the ammo caches, the med stations and the spawn pads yielded us almost all the turrets we could fit in our base. With the way the other human players reacted, you would have thought we slapped their mothers, and though we tried to explain to them that the spawn points had the lowest defensive capacity, what with their inability to shoot, and that turrets were much better, it did little to ease their anger.

Eventually, the ungrateful fools started initiating kick votes on us, but after being bounced around from server to server, one of us discovered that changing our names would protect us from the wrathful claws of democracy. It was at this time we began importing some secondlife drama into our game, and we each adopted the tag [LLJK]Nexterholland, and the demented howls of the scorned goons in the tremulous games thread, crying out for the tar and feathering (or at least banning) of the goon Nexterholland, only fueled our valiant efforts against the spacebug menace.

There were several moments of serindipity while griefing that game. The one that stands out most is when I got the entire server to votekick a player. I wish I had logs or screenshots, but I was too busy giggling maniacly to save them, but I remember it going something like this: (names changed)
code:
Churfle Durflestein has initiated a votekick for [LLJK]Nexterholland
You have changed your name to [LLJK]NotNexterholland
random pubbie #1 has voted to kick [LLJK]Nexterholland
random pubbie #2 has voted to kick [LLJK]Nexterholland
random pubbie etc.
After changing my name, I quickly typed in the command to ban the player that tried to ban me, and sent it mostly as a social experiment. The votekick I sent triggered a Pavlovian response in the players, and they gleefully mashed their 1 keys to push my agenda through the bureacracy. Perhaps my foe was not familiar with the tactics we were using to defeat his political scheming, or perhaps he was just stupid as we had been doing this for the last hour and nobody caught on, but as the votes were tallyed, first came his indignant shout of disbelief "NO!!!!!!" followed by
code:
random pubbie #12 has voted to kick Churfle Durflestein
Churfle Durflestein: why?
Churfle Durflestein has been kicked from the game
After that, everything else we tried to do was just so... faded. it was as if we had reached paradise, went home to tell all our friends about it, and came back to find the sheer bliss we had experienced that first time had soured with age. The last time I logged into the game, we had put a turret next to a bug spawn point, and a bug acid tube next to a human spawn point, and had moved the reactor and hive brain to the opposite side of a small room.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The_Hatt posted:

After that, everything else we tried to do was just so... faded. it was as if we had reached paradise, went home to tell all our friends about it, and came back to find the sheer bliss we had experienced that first time had soured with age. The last time I logged into the game, we had put a turret next to a bug spawn point, and a bug acid tube next to a human spawn point, and had moved the reactor and hive brain to the opposite side of a small room.

A better grief if you could pull it off was to put trappers near the telepads. Trappers were an alien building that shoots a ball of goo out in a line that immobilizes humans. You add to that the fact that telepads can't spawn new humans if someone's already standing on them and you have a shitload of angry players. I managed to do this only once, and it required the co-operation of two guys I had on teamspeak moving the human spawns AND the entire pubbie alien team to not wreck the human base while we were trapping them. As a bonus, since we had the whole alien team and some human conspirators, votekicks never went through.

For god knows whatever reason, they would keep respawning no matter what. The alien's builder class can shoot a projectile that does a piddling amount of damage, but can still get counted as a headshot. We ended up with two "firing squads", half of the team at each telepad as builders. A human would spawn, get trapped, and take four headshots. Inefficient executions, sure, but being spawnkilled by the weakest class in the game was humiliating.

It never ceases to amaze me how long it can take people to just leave the server when they're being done that badly.

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp

Oversized_Gidding posted:

35 was completely hilarious, pretty boring start but by the end, oh man.

Watch 64 after watching 35. Sheer brilliance.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I wondered how long before someone mentioned 4 STR 4 STA LEATHER BELT

Seriously, I remember when that first hit, guild chat was impossible.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

With all this talk of Mind Control griefing in WoW, I feel I should mention the most famous priest on the Dragonmaw server, Zizek. If anyone played there pre-BC, you knew this guy. All he did all day was hang out in BRM MCing people into the lava. That's it. You know how Victor Nefarious had the guild tag <Lord of Blackrock>? Well, when the honor system was implemented, this guy hit Warlord and made his own guild <Warlord of Blackrock>. It got to the point that everyone on Horde loved him and to Alliance he was the real first boss of BWL and MC. There were even screenshots on the realm forums of entire raids standing around Zizek's body saying they had to kill the boss of BRS before they could get into BWL.

Watching his PvP videos were even more amazing, since he had spent so much of his time in the mountain, he knew literally every single trick he could pull, like jumping up onto the island-spire thing in the middle where it took his opponent like 5 minutes to reach him. He'd do it in about 5 seconds.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Toastline posted:

Outstanding.

I can listen to "4 STR 4 STA LEATHER BELT" all day.

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

Toastline posted:

"OH MY GOD, <blah blah>"
4 minutes later...
"OH MY GOD, <blah blah> => rainbow music out of nowhere"

I somehow missed this post earlier, I'm freaking dying (#9).

3s Box
Oct 1, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Back in 1998, I used to play a game called The Realm. It was Sierra Online's foray into the MMO scene, and it was basically a glorified text MUD with cartoonish characters.

Prior to my friend and I abusing the hell out of them, dungeons used to work like this.

There was a screen where the entrance to the dungeon was. Generally, groups gathered in these screens and waited for their turn to go into the dungeon. Every thirty seconds or so, the entrance would open and close, signifying a new instance. During that time, anyone could enter the dungeon.

There was one dungeon in particular, popular among mid-level characters, that was rather small but packed with mobs. It had three treasure chests, all guarded by rather tough mobs. The one weakness to the mobs was that they could not see invisible characters.

So my friend and I decided to exploit this. One morning we created new accounts (back then you could get 30 days free without a credit card) and named them to resemble famous griefers in the game. We loaded them up with invisibility potions, and systematically robbed every group of their treasure. Because the dungeon was small, we could run in, hit every treasure chest, and head out just in time for the next one to open.

We did this for approximately ten hours straight, inciting hilarious rage from everyone involved. Finally, after people bitched about barely getting through the dungeon without any reward, someone cast an invisibility purge in the room, revealing our naked players. We quickly fled and logged off. The ten hours of work had made our main characters fairly rich.

Two days later we decided to try again. We did it for about three hours, before both of our screens froze simultaneously. We had been teleported to a mod's tent, where the mod toon told us flatly that what we were doing ruined the game for dozens of groups, and that we were going to be punished by a ban. Since we were playing on lab PCs, we didn't care.

About a month later, a patch came through. Now, instead of the dungeons opening for a set amount of time, it would only allow one player in and a new Summon Group spell was introduced to bring groups into the dungeon.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Cheesus posted:

Outstanding.

I can listen to "4 STR 4 STA LEATHER BELT" all day.

Wait, where's that link? I can't find it.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Thank you for the vent griefing site, I don't think I ever laughed so hard. It is even funnier when you realize that the people hes griefing could easily just mute him on vent, turn off vent, go to another channel or just turn their sound off but instead they put up with his crap.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Greed posted:

Thank you for the vent griefing site, I don't think I ever laughed so hard. It is even funnier when you realize that the people hes griefing could easily just mute him on vent, turn off vent, go to another channel or just turn their sound off but instead they put up with his crap.

If you read his how to page, what he's done is connect to the server with multiple clients simultaneously- once one instance of him gets banned/muted/whatever, he connects with another client. That's why in some videos he gets banned but it immediately continues.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

my mind is freaking blown that other people from The Realm actually exist on SA... or on earth for that matter. I thought i was the only one. The griefing on that game was fantastic, mainly because the majority of the population was so uptight and near insufferable.

In the declining days of 3x, the antics of Bacon Patrol and the like were the only reason to actually login to that game. I even ran a really, really terrible geocities page dedicated to the griefing we did as /\/, the territorial gangsters of East Lienster. People getting furious about cussing, being called racists for no reason... that game was heaven. The page still exists, but im sure as hell not linking it here.

I had most of my accounts disabled, but i still think i have one. The game maxes out at like 200 people online at any given time now. Pretty sad.

My old ralm name is the same as my SA name, if anyone cares.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Stokes posted:

What is the maniacal laughter this guy uses from?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Blackula69 posted:

Wait, where's that link? I can't find it.
On http://www.ventriloharassment.org/1-10.htm, the very last "video".

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone know where I can get an mp3 of that "4 strength 4 stam leather belt" clip mixed to the tune of (I think it's) a Super Mario Land song?

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

Cheesus posted:

On http://www.ventriloharassment.org/1-10.htm, the very last "video".

Or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kAmlIB9UYc

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Kahrytes posted:

What is the maniacal laughter this guy uses from?

I think it's from Akira or something. It's pretty amazing no matter where it's from.

Edit: the laughing skeleton is from this Pearl Jam video but I still don't know what the audio is from.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 7, 2008

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Drox posted:

Does anyone know where I can get an mp3 of that "4 strength 4 stam leather belt" clip mixed to the tune of (I think it's) a Super Mario Land song?
This?

http://ahhhohhh.ytmnd.com/

Jesus. Thanks for that and the side link to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5msT0AOF20&feature=related

Cheesus fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 7, 2008

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I reinstalled BF2 today just do to some ghostriding car kills only to find out they give you a negative score now, and you get kicked outta every server if you do it like 3 times. This sucks.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cheesus posted:

This?

http://ahhhohhh.ytmnd.com/

That's the one, thank you!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dirp posted:

I reinstalled BF2 today just do to some ghostriding car kills only to find out they give you a negative score now, and you get kicked outta every server if you do it like 3 times. This sucks.

You can still be creative with griefing. Just jump in the way of friendly vehicles and let yourself get run over. Run blindly into Artillery fire, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Wow I just typed up a huge wall of text about my griefing exploits in Earth & Beyond and then SA told me to change my password and I lost the wall of text. I'll condense it, which is most likely what I needed to do to begin with.

Ugh. Anyway, I was a part of a forum community project designed to use ACTools to macro with E&B, and we were very successful. We got pretty good at it, and people took notice of non-responsive guildmates/pubbies who were just efficiently hauling rear end all night like clockwork. Without these macros, I imagine I would have actually had to play the uninteresting parts of this game. Since when is running jobs back and forth a good game? Anyway people were very angry about the macro community, and GMs said they would ban anyone they caught macroing, but they never got me at least.

Occasionally some random holiday quest would arise that would require you to go farm little one-shot baby mobs for some semi-rare drop. Devs made a mob that was labeled neutral so you would target it and be able to fire, say if your macro simply hit nearest target and fire. But my macro knew its target. It was endlessly satisfying seeing all the noobs trying to beat my macro accidentally shoot a combat level 66 (max enemy) mob and get one-shot. My macroing upset one group of people the most: my first guild, which I formed with some old black man who took me hunting and was a really nice guy. He didn't like macroing at all, though, so he gave me some speech about it and kicked me out of the guild. Meanwhile all my macroing had maxed my warrior out at 150, so I just starting solo raiding and got really good at it. Was very lucky and won a lot of good loot very fast. Suddenly I get invited into a very popular guild on the server, and man the entire game from then on was amazing.

Since cancellation of this game had already been announced, a large chunk of the playerbase had left entirely already for EVE or to await the WOW beta, though a lot still remained. Anyway, this guild had been one of the best from the very beginning, and they had such intimate knowledge of the multitude of rare spawns, mobs, quests, items. All this epic poo poo, they knew, and I was able to learn... before the guild was basically deserted by the leader, who said he was going to EVE... most went with him, they were all british and poo poo.

In a case of me being griefed, some 13 year old stole an account I had bought from another player. He asked the guy I had gotten it from for his last 4 digits on his credit card and got a GM to reclaim my account. I lost billions of credits and a lot of time. He deleted the character and disabled the account altogether after looting what he could. Rest assured he got away with 2-3 billion+ credit items and completely put to waste a character that had a lot of unique weapons that took a lot of raiding. I had even been spending money on referalls, which would give you extra skill points so you could actually max a character out. It was a tremendous loss.

However, when the guy who gave the digits realized what a little dick kid he had just tremendously helped out, he felt really bad and handed me over another account. At the time he had just been convinced that I was a bad person from a rival guild that it would be nice to screw but he didn't realize what kind of poo poo he gave that little prick. Anyway his new account had a warrior on it, and it was the only character of high level on the account, so I loaded it up. Maxed out. Has some very rare weapons not only equipped or stored, but on his build list. It was a tremendous thing this guy didn't have to do for me, but he insisted he didn't play the account at all.

So, I took it... and I immediately joined another guild who was also very good at any kind of raid, relying almost entirely on our own. With my knowledge and this new character, we put on a true show of galaxy control whenever possible. I controlled rare spawns with my really good guild and angered some people to the point of quitting over it. It was the level of self-reliance I had in this really good guild that had my character easily one of the best warriors on the server. Put me with a group of my guildmates and we could take out a LOT of things.

Everyone in this game was hungry for weapons turbo, and it used to be a lot harder to get, you could get a tremendous 40% turbo from max level raid-dropped weapons, but that was VERY difficult to get done. That is, until the devs handed free power out with a level 8 equippable 40% turbo gun that was manufacturable, turbo flooded the market. This made the harder to get turbos very valuable, and we controlled the spawn on a 3-day respawning mob that basically would be one-shot and drop a billions dollars worth of item ;). Anyway, a lot of people didn't know the time of the spawn but they would figure it out anytime the server reset and come with the goal of outshooting us. It was always fun to sit there alone and have this group of 3-4 guys laughing at me saying I have no chance, only to have 6-7 of my jenquai guildmates unclock and blow the mob away with energy beams immediately. Silly guys.

I coordinated/managed a lot of public raids since my operations always went smoothly, and it gave me a chance to mess with people the server didn't like. One time THE GUY, the one who STOLE MY ACCOUNT earlier... managed to spend a ton of time and work to get everything needed for a pretty hard quest to get done, even with a guild working together. Most likely he funded this with the multi-billion dollar character estate "inheritance" he got from my hard work. When he needed to fight the mob for the loot, he didn't have a guild or any friends so he was asking for pubbie help but nobody knew what they were doing and the mentality of more people more power wasn't going to get him very good results.

I offered to run the raid for him, capping it at 16 people, to maximize the chance of loot. It went off without a hitch, but when he demanded all the loot immediately, I was kind of put off by his attitude, that we as helpers deserved nothing, so I randomed off all the loot much to his dread. Even worse, I won the most valuable item. He begged me for it for a while, and about 4 hours later I gave it to him.

The reason for the 4 hours? I waited for a guildie to log on and swap his item with the one I had gotten, it was 20% higher in quality, but this guy didn't know that. Said guildie rewarded a lot of credits for this too, close to double what the guy got on the open market.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 9, 2008

• Locked thread