Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Mod note: Greatest hits start page 526!

:siren: Update 11/28/2013: After more than five years and many broken images, it was time to clean up the OP. See the bottom of this post for a subjective list of links to some highlights from the first hundred pages or so of the thread. :siren:

Forest Fuckery posted:

I don't grief for the hell of it, but sometimes it is just too hilarious not to do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer :monocle:

Wikipedia posted:

A griefer is a player who plays a game simply to aggravate and harass other players. Griefing is a form of emergent gameplay… Griefers differ from typical players in that they do not play the game in order to achieve objectives defined by the game world. Instead, they seek to harass other players, causing grief. In particular, they may use tools such as stalking, hurling insults, and exploiting unintended game mechanics.

I think that most of us, at one time or another, have decided to be jerks in online games. This may come when you’ve squeezed all of the regular entertainment you can out of a game but crave a bit more fun before uninstalling. Or perhaps, like my brother, you just enjoy anonymously tormenting other gamers whenever possible.

The Goons are known for being obnoxious in online games, so let’s post our favorite griefing stories/strategies/whatever. (I don’t consider maphacks, aimbots, and other cheats to really count as griefing, so try to avoid talking about them unless it’s a drat good story.)

Most of my experiences come from FPSs. I don’t have much experience in MMORPGs and don’t have many stories to tell about those, but by all means post ‘em if you’ve got ‘em.

Counter-Strike

Hackers go on a rampage using Apache helicopters, magic carpets, forklifts, and other tools of destruction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQhs3y2Lc-E

World of Warcraft - Funeral Raid
A group of players decides to interrupt an in-game funeral.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJVolaC8pw

Lord British is Killed
During the beta test for Ultima Online, a clever player used a scroll of fire field to kill Lord British, who up until that moment had been thought to be an invincible, developer-controlled lord of the realm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_British#Assassination_of_Lord_British

Lame stories of my own griefing fun

Battlefield 1942
By and large I played this game seriously, but on terrible public servers it was so ridiculously easy to rank near or at the top of the charts round after round that I eventually resorted to griefing for fun.

Ghost Ridin’
They may have fixed this at some point, but for the longest time you could climb out of a jeep right before plowing into a teammate or driving over an ocean cliff (with a teammate in the passenger seat). This resulted in no teamkill penalty, and people hated running around on foot so much that it was child’s play to find an eager passenger.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fZJp3_Pbfrk&feature=related
Video demonstrating the dangers of the jeep (the Axis equivalent)

Hard a larboard!
On maps involving carriers, you could steer the aircraft carrier to the left as planes were taking off from the flight deck, causing your team's pilots to crash into wires/posts of the superstructure just beyond the forward bridge. Laggy servers made this a lot easier to pull off. It pissed teammates off to no end. (A few landmines placed on the port side of the carrier would serve as a way to force the pilots to face the ordeal of taking off on the right of the flight deck.)

Diablo

Portal Trick
The Battle.Net for original Diablo was so unsecure against hacks and hostile gamers that joining a public game was tantamount to suicide if you didn’t know what you were doing.

1. Make your player aggressive
2. Clear area of dungeon around a town portal
3. New_Player joins
4. Cast high-level fire walls around portal
5. “Sup dude, just in level 3 killing the Skeleton King. I have a portal up.”
6. Collect items from New_Player’s remains

Example of a town portal to a dangerous spot.

Greed is Good
In the days of dialup and slow load times, you could start a public game with a name that indicated freebies were being handed out by experienced players. People would flock in for a good while after you’d left the game, wondering when they’d get the item(s).

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Teammates can be so trusting, turning their backs to you...

You Have Been Kicked From The Server
Bazooka to team at spawn. :laugh:

Doorblocker
Some maps in this game were really susceptible to doorblocking griefers. On servers with friendly fire turned off, there would be nothing stopping a single guy from blocking a passage to an objective. The enemy would sit back, defending the objective and leaving you well alone if they had any sense. Meanwhile, your teammates would make comments about your sexuality.

Starsiege: Tribes

Gain command of a transport vehicle of some sort – helicopter, APC, etc. – and once everyone has climbed aboard take them on the scenic tour. Crash into a mountain, plunge into the sea, or something similar to finish the job (try to bail out if you can). I am usually as bad as Toonces. A variation is just ferrying your squad to the middle of nowhere (see below).

”Jump in, guys. I will ferry you to your destination!”

:worship: Quality Griefing :worship:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post345408597
Linden - Team Fortress 2 griefing video featuring door blocking, teleporters, & turrets.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post345442058
Doctor Fatty - Age of Conan surprise base jumping.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post345557615
Arms_Akimbo - Second Life griefing of the John Edwards '08 in-game campaign HQ by supporters of John Edward the TV psychic.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post345610180
Isometric Bacon followed up that effort with some more details on Second Life griefing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post345734728
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post345860195
FAG ON THE FORUMS - Dating Game Online & Second Life antics

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post345806556
Virxas - Ultima Online death portals and bank crashes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=32#post346119085
Blast of Confetti - To Catch a Predator (Second Life edition)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=41#post346802465
Ray_ - Stealing an ultimate weapon from a player during the glory days of Ultima Online.

Well, that’s the whole ball of wax. Sorry if it looks like a website from 1996. Post away with your own stuff. :protarget:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Pound_Coin posted:

Sticky c4 is the greatest thing to happen in the history of griefing.

Please elaborate. Is that TF2?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

nitty gritty titty posted:

I remember the sniper unlock was able to shoot through the windshields of vehicles, so people hopping into helicopters was funny because their head would pop up in the cockpit, the rotors would warm up, sometimes they'd try to turn the helicopter if they knew you were there, but they would usually get instantly sniped and the helicopter would go back to idling

Awesome. That's kind of like what happened to the chopper that was trying to take off in Predator.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

bondster posted:

In the beginning days of WoW, there was a 30 elite abomination named Stitches that would only spawn for a quest. 2 players spawned him, and then proceeded to kite him all the way to a questing hub town that were for level 6-10 players.

That's good. I read once that there was some giant demon near the Dark Portal, and that it was kited a long distance to Stormwind City?

Edit: found it
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/kazak-pwns-stormwind-city/226451896

WoW_Wiki posted:

Your group will have exactly three minutes to finish the demon off. If you fail to kill him in that time due to lack of DPS, people dying or not dispelling Twisted Reflection properly, Lord Kazzak will enter what is called the Supreme Mode. Named after his yell once it triggers, the supreme mode causes him to cast his Shadowbolt every second. That's 800-1000 DPS on everyone, and that means a wipe.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 27, 2008

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Vet in Debt posted:

Does anyone have a link to the story of an EVE player who duped some high level organization out of nearly everything? He did this by working his way into several EVE forums and posted on several fake accounts to back up his own ideas. I just remember that it was a great read on griefing.

I'm not sure whether it's what you're thinking of, but there's this:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060828-7605.html

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Has anyone in your group ballparked the amount of ISK/month lost by miners from your griefing? I ask because a glanced at a couple of killmails, and one listed 526 million ISK in loss (pre-insurance I guess) for a Hulk pilot. Impressive stuff.

Edit: Nevermind; I just noticed the campaign information. 32 billion ISK in damage.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 30, 2008

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

GenericEric posted:

Chop chop, Master Onion!

Are there any decency laws (apart from the obvious illegal stuff)? Are there any limits to your avatar's design? (it looks like on the last page the poster's avatar was Thomas the Tank Engine and some giant flesh monster...) I ask because I was wondering whether there was a size limit for your character.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Star Wars: Galaxies
Couldn't you kill other players' NPC vendors for a while? I seem to recall that there was a way to go around murdering them until they patched in a hotfix.

I also remember an early patch note reading something along the lines of: "/launch command now only works for fireworks." You can imagine what must've been going on before the fix.

ExtremeODD posted:

Dumb question, is there (still?) a 2nd life thread anywhere. Im interested in seeing if any goons still get together to grief and whatnot.

I can't find one in The MMO HMO subforum. Even if you don't play, there's nothing stopping you from starting a thread over there.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 4, 2008

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

(Shadowbane and EVE Online griefing stories)

Mmm, delicious!

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 5, 2008

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

YancyDCjew posted:

The original story's epilogue was talking about this guy. It's funny, the guy running the bank could have done it legit if people in EVE took out loans to finance ships (I have no idea if this is the case), but instead he scammed the gently caress out of people, and it's completely within the rules. Awesome.

That sounds good, but could an EVE "bank" reach debtors that default on their loans?

Colbear posted:

All this talk about griefing's made me want to gently caress with pubbies some too, so I'm downloading this fortnight's MMO Roulette target to mess around and see how much havoc I can wreak on a game and character I don't give a drat about. It's stickied in the MMO HMO subforum.

I should probably add a link to that in the original post.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

coyo7e posted:

This should be a shirt.

Haha, thanks, but hopefully any artwork would be done by someone 1) with talent, and 2) with a tool better than their laptop's touchpad. If I could, I'd sketch the tear-chugging Goon so that he had a neckbeard and a food-stained "College of Engineering" t-shirt.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The South Shall Rise Again!

...Once there we would change our names, usually along the themes of 'Stonewall Jackson, General Lee, Thomas Jefferson' or whatever and we'd all buy scouts. Another person would follow behind those with guns, spamming some sort drum song over his mic. We would walk in a broad line towards our enemy, cursing the damned Yankee CTs with their new fangled weaponry. Running was strictly forbidden, as a gentleman of the south never ran.

Definitely more Gettysburg than Fallen Timbers. I can imagine the non-griefing teammates growing furious at that one. :cheers:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

ATM Machine posted:

I hope this is ok with you LLCoolJD, I was after just a smaller version but thanks to Kirby, I got this huge thing in its place.

Looks good. :cool:

EVIR Gibson posted:

wait wait wait LLCoolJ is *back* or is it just a gimmick account?

I'm someone else. What I've heard about the original guy gives me shivers.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Mornacale posted:

Would anyone be interested in getting together at some point, finding some crazy sex club or whatever, and saying a full Catholic Mass there?

If you do it, be sure to take pictures. What I'd really like to see is an Animal House-styled Death Mobile crashing an in-game event.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

PFlats posted:

This always makes me think of those images that look like something else when turned upside-down.

Edit: And murdering cartoonists for idolatry, of course.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

tranceMiNuS posted:

I don't think this guy has been mentioned yet, by far my favorite griefing stories have come from this site, and in my opinion he is much funnier and a way bigger dick than the other UO griefers I've seen mentioned so far.

http://www.spleens.net/

(Click shots on the left)

I'm pretty sure someone posted this earlier, but when a thread is pushing 50 pages there's no foul in posting such a great link again. The stories at that site (e.g. "Bastard Island") are hilarious.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Azareil posted:

1) On the UO:G Hybrid server there's a decent amount of players, most are horrible in every manner. One thing I remember doing was becoming friends with this 12 year old who was in my guild at the time. Nobody really liked him so I never got in trouble for doing this. I took him on a sight seeing tour which was to some hard to reach places that needed GM assistance, like a roof or something. I took him to a couple spots then we went to his house. He had a donation item, a $45 ethereal polar bear that was blessed as in, it couldn't be stolen. I said to the kid in Ventrilo, "Watch this... Put the polar bear in THIS empty pouch." So he does. Now, the bear itself cannot be stolen because it's blessed. But the pouch that he put the bear in is fair game. So as soon as it's in, I steal the pouch and remove the bear from it. Mean while, he's like "haha, that's awesome. Can I have it back?". I get on the bear and book it out of there.

A fool and his $45 ethereal polar bear are soon parted.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Dramatika posted:

Currin Trading and Eve Intergalactic Bank scams - http://www.geocities.com/currintrading/

Long, but a great read.

These EVE bank scams are always a fun read. If a Ponzi scheme can fool Wall Street, then I suppose it can fool EVE Online. But drat if players aren't naive to trust these EVE banks given all the horror stories out there.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

CaptainStag posted:

I miss the RTCW demo too, that was way too much fun. I'm almost convinced they released it in the state it was so they could determine what counter-griefing measures were needed.

If that was the case, then they did a pretty bad job of fixing griefing. The retail release was full of things to do.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I'd forgotten about this one. It's been a while since I've seen it. The music selection really adds to it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The guy was going for a reference to The Big Lebowski.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I downloaded Moonbase Alpha. If you click on a suitcase full of tools or a beacon, there's an option to destroy them, although I think more can be had from those control panels.

I wasn't able to pull any cables out of place, but I did run around toggling the solar arrays on and off. The rovers are also easy to take for a joyride and park at the limits of the map.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I don't own Forza 4, but I imagine there were a few angry pubbies here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2cZm9hhfus

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Jesus Christ, four years on and my thread is still going.

bucketmouse posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't realize that guy had more videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfBR6OhPr8

Nobody skip this. This is what griefing is all about.

I happened to be listening to Guns N Roses' song Patience when I loaded this up. How appropriate. Funny way to annoy that kid. If he didn't leave it was probably "his" server or something stupid like that.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Rixen posted:

I'm really glad to see Fkpuz' latest video is catching on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_BfBwyOXJ4

I love this man.

He seems a little too into it, but it makes for a good cautionary tale.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

meme posted:

The guy who bought the account had aparrently been using it as his main. He had millions of gil, top-tier gear, all the new quests completed, and he had been paid £1200 for the privelege of playing his character for a year. He still messages Vivi every week or so in an increasingly antagonistic or desperate manner, and for his part, Vivi just replies with :P. The poor guy can't even complain to anyone, It's against the ToS to buy accounts, and when SE suspended the account on suspicion of foul play, Vivi just said he'd been hacked and they let it go. He works in a bank now.

Defrauding someone out of £1200 is different from defrauding someone out of virtual currency worth £1200. What a sad and foolish victim, though.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

The horrible OP has been updated to look a little less horrible.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Ahahahaha "I'm gonna contact Steam and if I can get any information out of them I'll just sue him"

Lawyer something something loss of wages. I'd watch a stream of him in small claims court irritating the judge.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

In a perfect world, they'd emit an exaggerated pogo stick boing! whenever they were activated.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually they do make a vaguely springy noise!

:troll:

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 4, 2014

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but I thought it was worth sharing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z5cS6q7s5w

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

TheObserver posted:

kill this thread

No, it must live.

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's funny to see people complain about about the community going down hill considering Counter-Strike has been especially notable for it's terrible player base for more than 15 years now.

I gave up playing when I started to follow random players after being killed. They'd run around facing walls, not looking where they were going. All the while keeping an eye on opposing players through walls across the map. So much cheating.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spcKsM-_AcM

This Britbong guy is an oddball but he's pretty darn funny. "I'm fwom Wun-DON Ing-a-lund"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Blister posted:

15 years ago it just took too much effort and time to type fag in chat for most players, now everyone has a mic ready to go. Humanity is terrible and lazy

Mics are for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIP95WmvPpQ

• Locked thread