Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Captain Melo posted:

My understanding of it was that I should do the Roth and pay taxes based on my extremely low tax rate now as opposed to when I'm older and in all likelihood have higher taxes. Is that correct or would I be better off going with the traditional?

Traditional also has the advantage of the contributions being tax deductible, The Roth IRA tax free advantage mainly works if you have much higher tax bracket in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Captain Melo posted:

My understanding of it was that I should do the Roth and pay taxes based on my extremely low tax rate now as opposed to when I'm older and in all likelihood have higher taxes. Is that correct or would I be better off going with the traditional?
I would agree with this, and did it last year myself.

etalian posted:

Traditional also has the advantage of the contributions being tax deductible, The Roth IRA tax free advantage mainly works if you have much higher tax bracket in the future.
The discussion was for 401k rollovers, you cannot deduct a rollover. The Roth is also beneficial due to unknown changes that may (will) occur to taxation schemes. Maybe not in your favor, maybe in your favor, worth having some in both!

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
I based it on the fact that currently, I'm at one of the lowest tax brackets for where I live. Is it a wrong assumption to assume that I will obviously move up in the tax brackets as I get older, especially with education?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Captain Melo posted:

I based it on the fact that currently, I'm at one of the lowest tax brackets for where I live. Is it a wrong assumption to assume that I will obviously move up in the tax brackets as I get older, especially with education?

I think that is a very reasonable assumption, particularly if you are going to school for something where you know your career will end up with a much higher salary.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

etalian posted:

Having a known quantity is good. We don't know what the gently caress the tax laws will be in 35 years.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Captain Melo posted:

A little bit of A, a little bit of B.

It is true that your top tax bracket will likely increase in the future, both because our current tax rate is historically low, and because people tend to make more money later in their careers. However, we have a progressive tax system, which works to your disadvantage with a Roth. The money you contribute to your Roth has been taxed at the highest tax bracket you fall into. If you made $45k and contributed $5k to your Roth, that $5k was taxed at your top tax bracket of 25%. Money going into the Roth is always taxed at the "top" of your income.

Let's look into future. You become a baller, pull down $200k, and the government increases tax rates so that your top bracket is 35%! This could happen. I believe in you. But then you retire. Now you aren't pulling down $200k a year. Your income is now whatever you choose/need to pull from your various retirement investments. At this point, the money you pull out is taxed starting at the "bottom" of your income. In 2014, married and using a standard deduction, you could $30k out of a taxable retirement investment and only pay $1800 in taxes, an effective tax rate of 6%. If you had used a Roth, you would have been effectively taxed 25% on that money.

It's also more likely that at retirement have little to no mortgage left to pay, no student loans, no kids living in the house, no kids student loans to pay, lesser bills due to lack of a daily commute, etc. You may simply need less money to fund your daily life as a retiree. Subtracting out rent, commute costs, and money spent on food/coffee at work, I'd easily get by with my hypothetical wife on $30k. We haven't even talked about geo-arbitrage in this hypothetical, but I digress. Point being, don't look at top tax brackets over the course of your career; look at overall effective tax rates and costs of living.

That said, you should definitely have both. If you have sweet pot of money you can pull out tax free, you can use it do to transiently expensive things like extensive travel. So you pull $30k from your traditional for annual living, but then if you want to go to Italy for a month, you pull out $10k from your Roth tax free.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The post above is good advice. It's good to diversify your assets in both type and what their tax status is.

I still contribute to a Roth despite my top marginal bracket being 28% because I'm still young, still in the relatively nascent stages of my career, and have more tax-deferred assets in my 401k.

Also, entirely speculative, but like the post above I also am inclined to believe that tax rates will be higher in the future because they are at historic lows right now and we continue to have federal budget issues. That could be entirely wrong, but I have a hard time believing that we will see significant tax reductions in the future.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah the way I see it, if I'm in a fairly high tax bracket(I'm in the 25% now), most of what I'm investing is going to be 401k. Currently it's about double what I put into my IRA, which I'm maxing. So if the 401k is traditional, and the IRA is Roth, its not entirely dissimilar to the recommended split between domestic and foreign stocks :v: Much as foreign stocks help protect against domestic stocks underperforming, my Roth protects against the possibility of crazy tea partiers instituting a flat 30% tax in the future.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 18, 2014

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
What's the scoop on cash value life insurance? I just started working with a financial planner and his advice is to make use of it as a safe place to store some percentage of our money. I just can't wrap my head around how it's supposed to work and as a skeptical person that's very concerning to me. I've asked a lot of questions and my summation is that you can overpay into your insurance policy and that money can be invested (like a mutual fund) by the insurance policy. The advantage being it's not taxable like a mutual fund would be. According to his projections going the mutual fund route works out better for the first 15 or so years at which point the tax advantages start to work in the insurance route's favor. A couple of hours googling has revealed a lot of negative opinions about this scheme though.

To be clear, this wouldn't be our entire portfolio.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Summit posted:

What's the scoop on cash value life insurance? I just started working with a financial planner and his advice is to make use of it as a safe place to store some percentage of our money. I just can't wrap my head around how it's supposed to work and as a skeptical person that's very concerning to me. I've asked a lot of questions and my summation is that you can overpay into your insurance policy and that money can be invested (like a mutual fund) by the insurance policy. The advantage being it's not taxable like a mutual fund would be. According to his projections going the mutual fund route works out better for the first 15 or so years at which point the tax advantages start to work in the insurance route's favor. A couple of hours googling has revealed a lot of negative opinions about this scheme though.

Horrid ripoff. Google it. Look at past posts here, too.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Summit posted:

Use insurance for insurance. If you want a tax advantage, then why not use actual tax advantaged accounts? If you have maxed those out, then look for low fee funds and make sure your planner isnt getting a commission for what he's recommending. For your piece of mind, ask if he's willing to document any conflict of interest, and fiduciary responsibility.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It's a pretty bad hybrid of life insurance and a lovely mutual fund. Buy term life insurance if you want life insurance, and leave the investing to your IRA's and 401k's first.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
I currently have a Roth IRA with about $4,000 in it. I'm 20 years old and have been contributing to this IRA for about 3 years using small amounts from my internship salaries. The IRA was started with AYCO, and it's essentially a Fidelity Roth IRA. I'm not 100% sure what the expense rate on this is.. but it seems like Fidelity Roth IRAs are no fee?

I was wondering:
-Should I rollover my IRA to a different company if I want to make it fee-free (if I find out that it is not)
-Should I also be investing in index funds? Or is maxing out my IRA right now the best plan until I get hired full-time out of college (where I plan to maximize a Roth/401(k) match)

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Fluue posted:

I currently have a Roth IRA with about $4,000 in it. I'm 20 years old and have been contributing to this IRA for about 3 years using small amounts from my internship salaries. The IRA was started with AYCO, and it's essentially a Fidelity Roth IRA. I'm not 100% sure what the expense rate on this is.. but it seems like Fidelity Roth IRAs are no fee?

I was wondering:
-Should I rollover my IRA to a different company if I want to make it fee-free (if I find out that it is not)
-Should I also be investing in index funds? Or is maxing out my IRA right now the best plan until I get hired full-time out of college (where I plan to maximize a Roth/401(k) match)
If you're paying over 0.2% ER or so, look at moving to Vanguard.

I would absolutely suggest investing your Roth vs letting it lose money as cash or money market. I'd go with a Target 2060 fund until you have money to buy in to the various underlying funds.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

SiGmA_X posted:

If you're paying over 0.2% ER or so, look at moving to Vanguard.

I would absolutely suggest investing your Roth vs letting it lose money as cash or money market. I'd go with a Target 2060 fund until you have money to buy in to the various underlying funds.

Also move to Vanguard rather than get Fidelity's Target fund because Fidelity's target funds are expensive.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kilty Monroe posted:

Also move to Vanguard rather than get Fidelity's Target fund because Fidelity's target funds are expensive.

Not to mention Fidelity Target funds also have a much bigger tracking error aka now following the base index closely in addition to having a much higher expense ratio.

If you have Fidelity for a 401k make sure you pick their Spartan low expense ratio funds and the large cap spartan also pays a dividend.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
I went looking for some IRA documents I had issued to me and it's a Fidelity Premiere Select IRA (administered by Ayco). I can't find any information about the fees, though. I do have info about fees for specific funds I'm invested in through the Fidelity IRA, though.. does anyone know where I could possibly look for the overall IRA information?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kilty Monroe posted:

Is there any difference between Vanguard Target funds and Vanguard Target funds served through Fidelity? One of my 401k accounts is through Fidelity and is sitting in a "Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Trust Plus" fund at 0.07% total ER. I've been hesitant to move it because the 2040 over at Vanguard open to someone with my range of investment (just over $100K to consolidate across four 401(k) plans) has a higher ER for what appears to be identical metrics.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Sundae posted:

Is there any difference between Vanguard Target funds and Vanguard Target funds served through Fidelity? One of my 401k accounts is through Fidelity and is sitting in a "Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Trust Plus" fund at 0.07% total ER. I've been hesitant to move it because the 2040 over at Vanguard open to someone with my range of investment (just over $100K to consolidate across four 401(k) plans) has a higher ER for what appears to be identical metrics.

No difference except ERs sometimes. Investment management companies won't force a workplace to choose from only their own funds when setting up a 401k, so you sometimes see funds from a variety of companies in a 401k plan. They might charge extra for them, which may get passed on to you, so you do want to look at the ERs in the literature that is specific to your plan. You appear to be getting a premium (cheaper) share class not available to individual investors, though, so I'd keep as much money in that Target fund as you can.

Kilty Monroe fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 20, 2014

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Thanks, Kilty. I appreciate it. :)

I'm still going to roll my other 401(k) accounts (I job-hop like mad) into Vanguard, but I'll leave that one alone.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

So is the standard IRA advice to put your money in the funds that make up the target retirement fund once you have enough to meet the minimums? I'm transferring my IRA over from my bank to Vanguard but I wasn't sure what was ideal. My 401k is almost entirely domestic stocks and I have a taxable account through Vanguard already that has VWELX (2/3 domestic stocks 1/3 bonds) and VEIEX (international stock) in it, so I think I'm fairly decently balanced for my age (I'm 29). I was originally just going to throw the IRA into a target retirement 2040 fund but I thought this might be an opportunity to step back and see if anything needs to be rebalanced.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
With Vanguard, the expense ratio of the Target funds is equal to the weighted expense ratios of the funds it owns.

However, if you have enough for Admiral shares (Typically $10k), those will save you some money.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
I told a friend of mine about the backdoor Roth contribution scheme a couple years ago. So he used it, but neglected to file IRS Form 8606 to inform the IRS that his contribution was non-taxable (which I didn't realize at the time was required, so I hadn't mentioned that to him). This year he got a letter from the IRS stating that he owed them $1500 because they misunderstood his Roth conversion as being taxable since he hadn't filled out the form. Oops! Don't forget to cover all your bases, folks.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
After doing even more research and asking some friends about the whole cash life insurance thing it seems the common opinion is that it's complete crap. I asked planner dude to send me over his projections that had originally convinced me that this seemed like a good idea. If you guys wouldn't mind, what's wrong/misleading in here?

(red text is mine, per his in-person explanations)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I would have a lot of questions. What's his commission for selling these policies? What are the withdrawal rules of the policy, especially regarding taxation and changes in the death benefit? How much will term life actually cost you? Could you invest the money in a tax-advantaged account instead of penalizing at 39% tax bracket? Will you definitely contribute $20k per year for the next 15 years? What happens if you don't? And don't get fixated on this particular table - you need to understand how it will change when the assumptions that went into it change.

The bad press is because these kind of products conflate two things that you can get separately, usually to the advantage of the person who is selling them. It's a complicated contract that was drafted 100% by someone other than you, and the someone is most likely a profit-oriented institution.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
What's the A/T rate? Why are you paying $20k as a premium but their "investment" comparison only invests 19 something? That's bullshit.

If you put 20k each year into a mutual fund that gains ONLY 5%, you would have $694,385.04 at the end of 20 years, as per http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm

As compared to their whatever lovely math that gets you $556,112. And would have the fund "have to have" a 6.77% return instead of a 5% return, as in my assumption. I don't know what math they're using, but it looks like a choice between "our lovely mutual fund" and "our lovely life insurance scam" instead of vs "a non-lovely fee-free fund".

When things looks overly complicated, it's because they're hiding something with the complications. Run the numbers at 5% a year for however many years until you turn 65 if you want a comparison for that. I'm guessing the nonshitty no-fee 5% fund would still beat their "7.74% mutual fund that doesn't actually return 7.74% for whatever reason."

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The math responsible for that is the 39% tax bracket, which is applied to the mutual fund returns but not the cash value policy. Whether that's realistic depends on their income and the details of the contract I think.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
My previous employer made some major layoffs over the past year so I'm starting a new job next week but unfortunately they do not offer a 401(k). I started a 401(k) (Fidelity) with my previous employer but by the time I was eligible for it they let me go only a few months afterwards so there is less than a thousand dollars in there. I have a Roth IRA with Vanguard maxed for 2013/2014, am I best served to roll that tiny 401(k) into a traditional IRA with Vanguard and then max that out for 2014 as well? Are there any other accounts I can open to help fund my retirement? Thanks!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The 5500 dollar limit for IRA is total across both Roth and Traditional. If you cobtribute 4500 in a Roth in 2014 you can only contribute 1k to a traditional.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

But a rollover isn't a contribution. You can rollover $1k or $100k from a 401(k) to an IRA and this has no bearing on your annual contribution limits.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bearnt! posted:

My previous employer made some major layoffs over the past year so I'm starting a new job next week but unfortunately they do not offer a 401(k). I started a 401(k) (Fidelity) with my previous employer but by the time I was eligible for it they let me go only a few months afterwards so there is less than a thousand dollars in there. I have a Roth IRA with Vanguard maxed for 2013/2014, am I best served to roll that tiny 401(k) into a traditional IRA with Vanguard and then max that out for 2014 as well? Are there any other accounts I can open to help fund my retirement? Thanks!
I would roll it into a Roth IRA, and pay the taxes out of pocket up front (more so, on 4/15/2015), but that is just me. If you don't want to pay the taxes, roll it into a traditional IRA.

Like Leperflesh said, rollovers do not count against annual contribution limits.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Thank you all for the info. On that note I also am self employed and am my only employee. After searching around a bit I found I could start a SEP-IRA or Vanguard Individual 401(k). Which would be better? The only major difference I see is with the SEP you can only contribute 25% while with the Vanguard Individual 401(k) you can put in up to 100%. I'm probably missing something though. https://investor.vanguard.com/what-we-offer/small-business/compare-plans Is this something I can rollover into?

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012
Also self-employed; no employees. No experience with the individual 401k, but I can tell you that it's a mild pain in the butt figuring out the exact dollar figure for the max I'm allowed to contribute to my SEP IRA. It ends up just being one more thing my accountant figures out for me. Not sure if the 401k is any easier in that regard.

That said, the SEP IRA treats me fine once the money's in there, and I personally don't want to contribute much more than 20-25% of my annual income.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I have a friend who used to work in finance, and he was explaining how his company used to use write covered calls as an easy way to generate high returns for their investors (mostly retirement accounts I think). I got to thinking about it, and it made sense, so for the last few weeks I've been playing around with it. Seems I can get $40-50 for writing call options that are like 5-10% out of the money (single contract) with a week or two until expiration. Obviously that varies by stock, but that's the general ballpark I've seen.

I've been doing this for two weeks and I'm gobbling up about $200 a week. What am I missing? This seems too easy.

jbetten
Dec 30, 2009

District Selectman posted:

I have a friend who used to work in finance, and he was explaining how his company used to use write covered calls as an easy way to generate high returns for their investors (mostly retirement accounts I think). I got to thinking about it, and it made sense, so for the last few weeks I've been playing around with it. Seems I can get $40-50 for writing call options that are like 5-10% out of the money (single contract) with a week or two until expiration. Obviously that varies by stock, but that's the general ballpark I've seen.

I've been doing this for two weeks and I'm gobbling up about $200 a week. What am I missing? This seems too easy.

What you're missing is upside. It isn't unusual for the market to move in bursts, and when it does you'll miss those gains.

You should also consider the tax implications of being forced to sell your underlying if you have unrealized gains.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I have to do a backdoor Roth for 2014. In May, I'll be getting a lump sum from an ESPP sale that I can either use to fully fund my 2014 IRA or I can put it in my emergency fund (I have 3 months of expenses and would like 6). I haven't contributed to my 2014 IRA yet (I finished funding my 2013 IRA instead).

I think I have have three options:
  1. Fully fund IRA from ESPP in May
  2. Make 5 months of IRA contributions ($2300) using ESPP money in May, contribute $460/month for the rest of the year
  3. Contribute $786/month for the rest of the year, starting in May

What should I do? If I go with options 2 or 3, do I do a Roth conversion each month?

I feel like I'm totally overthinking this due to being nervous about not dollar cost averaging over the next year...but I'm 24, so it might just all come out in the wash anyway.

jbetten
Dec 30, 2009

turing_test posted:

I have to do a backdoor Roth for 2014. In May, I'll be getting a lump sum from an ESPP sale that I can either use to fully fund my 2014 IRA or I can put it in my emergency fund (I have 3 months of expenses and would like 6). I haven't contributed to my 2014 IRA yet (I finished funding my 2013 IRA instead).

2. Make 5 months of IRA contributions ($2300) using ESPP money in May, contribute $460/month for the rest of the year

What should I do? If I go with options 2 or 3, do I do a Roth conversion each month?

I feel like I'm totally overthinking this due to being nervous about not dollar cost averaging over the next year...but I'm 24, so it might just all come out in the wash anyway.

Personally I'd do #1, but I'm not worried about my emergency fund only having 3 months of expenses.

If you are concerned about your emergency fund you should take the money from your ESPP sale and fully fund your emergency fund, and then max your IRA contributions for the rest of the year.

Not dollar cost averaging isn't actually a problem. The expected return of investments is positive, so investing now is on average better than investing later.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

turing_test posted:

In the next 41 years, it's definitely a wash. Do what makes you the most comfortable, eg peace of mind. If you're on track to save 15%+ of gross all the same, I'd do half and half, a $2300 (not quite 50% of 5,500?) bump to your IRA and efund, and step up contributions to the IRA and 401(k). Probably.

You need to decide if you'd like more reserves now or over x timeframe. That is the deciding factor, you realistically gain zilch by getting your money into the market for an extra 7mo.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Bearnt! posted:

Thank you all for the info. On that note I also am self employed and am my only employee. After searching around a bit I found I could start a SEP-IRA or Vanguard Individual 401(k). Which would be better? The only major difference I see is with the SEP you can only contribute 25% while with the Vanguard Individual 401(k) you can put in up to 100%. I'm probably missing something though. https://investor.vanguard.com/what-we-offer/small-business/compare-plans Is this something I can rollover into?
(self-employed and regularly employed): After looking at those options I started a solo 401k. Mainly because if you get a job that offers a 401k and max that out, you can still contribute up to 20% of self-employed profits to your solo 401k as your own "employer" even if you've maxed out 401k contributions as an employee elsewhere. So apart from the $17.5k you contribute as an employee, you can also put in however much extra as an employer. It's pretty bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If I've got $12,000 in an Admiral class fund at Vanguard and the market tanks 30%, will they get downgraded to Investor shares? Or do they only downgrade when you sell to below $10,000?