Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Xenoborg posted:

I'm selling all my random mutual funds and moving to Vanguard. I did my retirement accounts a few months ago, and now want to do my taxable account too. I will be realizing ~30k in long term gains, and my AGI is 23k (half a year of income and maxed 401k/hsa). A few questions:

1) The order of operations of taxation happens in such a way that I pay 0% on the first 15k of the realized gain and 15% on the 2nd 15k right?
2) Can you set a custom withholding amount when selling? Ive only done all or nothing before. Rather not wait a few months to get the rest back from taxes.
3) I know that timing the market is pointless, especially since I'm getting right back in, but I wanted to make sure there isn't any reason to wait until late December to sell. What happens to dividend and such if you sell during the middle of a period?
4) Anything dumb I'm missing?

1) How do you expect your income to change for next year? Would there be any benefit in splitting your realized gains across years (i.e., only selling some of your funds and realizing a portion of your gain this fiscal year, and then waiting for January to sell the remainder)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

sean price posted:

Hi there guys. Quick question about the often recommended book The Four Pillars of Investing. I'm reading a review of it here, which I will note was written fairly recently so should be pretty modern/updated advice:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/review-the-four-pillars-of-investing/

Now, something that stuck out was the line "Bernstein says that a smart investor should not have more than 80% of their money in stocks right now. Why? Stock prices are at historical highs and they are paying historically low dividends, which means either the stock market will slow down or it will perpetually push into territory not seen since 1929."

Do some of you use this same philosphy for your porfolios mix? I was under the impression that many mid 20's folks starting out with investing who have recently paid of their student loans and debt and whatnot and whom have serious money to start saving usually just put their money into an index fund like VTSAX and don't really bother with bonds. What do you guys think/can you clarify what I might be misunderstanding about the current outlook?

The advice of not more than 80% in US stocks makes sense to me for the reasons Bernstein has stated. I would likely stick to that if I lived in the US. How people run their portfolios is rather individual. The section on portfolio mix gives a lot of examples but doesn't tell you what is right for you.

US Stock prices are very high at the moment and until more risk is observed by the market the price will stay that way. Things do seem safe when the Fed has 0% OCR, however that is anticipated to change in December with a slight increase. Economic performance globally will probably be poo poo up until around 2018. Given that I can't see into the future I'd recommend deciding a portfolio mix that suits you and make monthly contributions.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

1) How do you expect your income to change for next year? Would there be any benefit in splitting your realized gains across years (i.e., only selling some of your funds and realizing a portion of your gain this fiscal year, and then waiting for January to sell the remainder)?

Income will be solidly in the 25% bracket for the foreseeable future. I was in the 15% bracket with 15k room to spare for LTCG because I didn't work the first half of the year. I was originally going to only realize that 15k, but decided that since I don't like what they are in (1.5% loving ER), I should just do it all now.

Are dividend dates random or planned? Most of the money is in GFACX, can you tell when its going to give one? If its Dec 15 its probably worth waiting for. If its Jan 1 then maybe I should just realize 15k now and the rest wait for the dividend. I want to get out of this fund, but if waiting a month will be a lot of money I can wait it out.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Xenoborg posted:

Income will be solidly in the 25% bracket for the foreseeable future. I was in the 15% bracket with 15k room to spare for LTCG because I didn't work the first half of the year. I was originally going to only realize that 15k, but decided that since I don't like what they are in (1.5% loving ER), I should just do it all now.

Are dividend dates random or planned? Most of the money is in GFACX, can you tell when its going to give one? If its Dec 15 its probably worth waiting for. If its Jan 1 then maybe I should just realize 15k now and the rest wait for the dividend. I want to get out of this fund, but if waiting a month will be a lot of money I can wait it out.
I am not an expert AT ALL, but I think you'd want to cash it out before the div and realize LTCG vs after and have a mix of LTCG and STCG?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Xenoborg posted:

If they are equity mutual funds (as opposed to bond funds), then the value of the shares will drop proportionally to the dividends provided. Thus I'd be with SiGma_X in recommending selling before the ex-dividend date for tax reasons:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Dividend#Mutual_fund_dividends

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

A 0.5% dividend or whatever is going to be a trivial concern next to the overall structure of your income taxes, really don't worry about it but the above post is correct that it's better to take the LTCG than the dividend, although the dividend will probably be qualified and treated at the same tax rate as a LTCG anyways.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The funds I'm selling all just saying December for their dividend dates. It makes sense that when they give dividend or capital gains they would decrease the share price accordingly, so I'll sell before December to avoid them being short term.

Another question that just occurred to me: When is the expense ratio paid? One big chunk at some annual date seems impractical. Maybe something like 1/250th of the ER taken off every close?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Avoiding the income from dividends so you don't have to pay tax on them is rather silly. I'd rather have 70% of that 0.5% than 100% of no dividends. It's like in lovely 401(k)s, a 1% ER S&P 500 fund is still better than a 0.5% ER money market fund (or whatever lovely 401(k)s have) even when you're paying more fees.

By all means, minimize your taxes and fees, but don't go so far out of your way to avoid fees/taxes that you lower your overall net income. A coworker asked about what his spouse should invest in in her company's lovely 401(k) (my company's 401(k) is decidedly non-lovely) and two people said to park her money into the money market fund to avoid paying high fees. Utter nonsense. High fees are bad but it's better to have high fees on "high" returns than negligible returns in exchange for lower fees. Likewise if you're paying tax it means, on some level, you've made money.

Granted there's value in simplifying your tax return. That's perfectly legitimate. 0.5% dividends on whatever amount might not be worth the hassle.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Desuwa posted:

Avoiding the income from dividends so you don't have to pay tax on them is rather silly. I'd rather have 70% of that 0.5% than 100% of no dividends. It's like in lovely 401(k)s, a 1% ER S&P 500 fund is still better than a 0.5% ER money market fund (or whatever lovely 401(k)s have) even when you're paying more fees.

By all means, minimize your taxes and fees, but don't go so far out of your way to avoid fees/taxes that you lower your overall net income. A coworker asked about what his spouse should invest in in her company's lovely 401(k) (my company's 401(k) is decidedly non-lovely) and two people said to park her money into the money market fund to avoid paying high fees. Utter nonsense. High fees are bad but it's better to have high fees on "high" returns than negligible returns in exchange for lower fees. Likewise if you're paying tax it means, on some level, you've made money.

Granted there's value in simplifying your tax return. That's perfectly legitimate. 0.5% dividends on whatever amount might not be worth the hassle.
Any dividend matters not if the fund is going to be sold shortly after. The div simply reduces share price temporarily, where do you think the money for the dividend comes from - the company, subsequently reducing book value and lowering stock price. So cash and make the transfer whenever and don't worry about it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Desuwa posted:

A coworker asked about what his spouse should invest in in her company's lovely 401(k) (my company's 401(k) is decidedly non-lovely) and two people said to park her money into the money market fund to avoid paying high fees. Utter nonsense. High fees are bad but it's better to have high fees on "high" returns than negligible returns in exchange for lower fees.

It's not that simple, and depends on how bad the 401k actually is. With load funds and high expense ratios, you might lose money on a year that the market gains. You may want to exit the job with the poor 401k and rollover into better investments and want to keep things steady and predictible. Or maybe you just don't want to pay a fund that charges that much out of principle.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Desuwa posted:

Avoiding the income from dividends so you don't have to pay tax on them is rather silly.

This was my initial thought as well, disproven by the good people of the thread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

This was my initial thought as well, disproven by the good people of the thread.

All the broad market passive funds don't pay sky high dividends either and you shouldn't worry about dividend income for retirement type accounts

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I recently decided to switch my 401k from a target retirement date fund to self managing percentages.

From the stock end I'm OK, I have my allocation in the vanguard 500 index admiral fund

but for bonds, the options all seem kind of crappy. Here is what I have to choose from:

FTHRX
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=FTHRX
FNMIX
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=FNMIX
PIMSX
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PIMSX

I say "crappy" because they all seem to have fairly high expense ratios. I only contribute enough to my 401(k) for company match and then my IRA and other savings are with vanguard so I can select from a better list.

Am I correct in my judgement that these aren't great and does anyone think one is noticeably better than any others?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
What's the ER of the target date fund you had?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
gross .57

net .47

I'm not sure why they are different. I don't think I have seen that before.

EDIT: While I'm here what is the thread opinion on REITs for a Roth IRA? I recently signed up for personal capital and its advisor app is recommending a small percentage in non traditional investments. Maybe because I don't own a house, I'm not sure. Is it worth looking into?

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 25, 2015

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I really like REITs for tax sheltered accounts.

Resultswise I think they're one of my best performers this year.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

EDIT: While I'm here what is the thread opinion on REITs for a Roth IRA? I recently signed up for personal capital and its advisor app is recommending a small percentage in non traditional investments. Maybe because I don't own a house, I'm not sure. Is it worth looking into?

It's mainly because REITs provide fairly decent yields since by law they have to return a majority of the profits back to investors via dividends and also combine bond-stock like characteristics.

They make sense for non taxable retirement accounts but no so much for taxable accounts for tax reasons.

For REITs I go with 15%

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The other thing to keep in mind with REITs is that (at least according to Bernstein) you should look at it as part of your portfolio as a whole, including property you own.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

I currently have <10% of my retirement savings in a Roth TSP account and the rest in a 3-fund Roth IRA with Vanguard. I was planning on rolling the Roth TSP into my Vanguard account after I exit the military, mainly for the convenience of not having to manage accounts with 2 brokers.

Is there a reason I couldn't or shouldn't do this? The TSP does have rock bottom expense ratios, but the fund options are very limited. There shouldn't be any penalties for rolling a TSP account into an IRA as long as the accounts involved are both Roth or both traditional, right?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
There should be no penalties.

Personally I would leave it in TSP for the crazy low fees. You shouldn't have to do much management of the TSP funds, you might be able to do any necessary rebalancing via changing allocations within your Vanguard IRA.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Gray Matter posted:

I currently have <10% of my retirement savings in a Roth TSP account and the rest in a 3-fund Roth IRA with Vanguard. I was planning on rolling the Roth TSP into my Vanguard account after I exit the military, mainly for the convenience of not having to manage accounts with 2 brokers.

Is there a reason I couldn't or shouldn't do this? The TSP does have rock bottom expense ratios, but the fund options are very limited. There shouldn't be any penalties for rolling a TSP account into an IRA as long as the accounts involved are both Roth or both traditional, right?

What limitations do you see with the TSP fund selection? I would love to get in on that action with my employer-provided plan (I get ERs of ~0.3% with my 457, which is plenty fine but not TSP low).

I suppose there's not a real estate fund but as Tyro says you should be able to get that--or anything else you want--with your Vanguard IRA.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I need some help figuring out whether this is a stupid move or not.

I have an outstanding car loan of a bit more than $16,000 @ 1.99%. I bought my car in June of 2014 but refinanced back in March of this year when I changed credit unions for a better interest rate and to consolidate my accounts.

I've been paying $630 per month to eliminate the loan in about two and a half years (it's financed for 7 years, normal payments are $290). I hate debt, so I sat down this morning and determined that I could pay off the loan in its entirety today if I liquidated my VFIAX mutual fund of $11,000 and combined it with $5,000 from my liquid savings. At that point I'd be completely debt free by the end of this month, but I'd have about $100 in savings until next month when I'd start replenishing it with the $630 former-car-payment.

I've had my VFIAX account since June of 2014. It's seen about a 7.2% ROI since then. My savings account has a laughable 0.10% interest rate. Thanks to YNAB (I started using it back in May, it's the best thing you guys had me do!) I have about $3000 in various "eventual funds" that I could pull from in case of emergency while I'm rebuilding savings. I also have some other tangible assets I could cash in to survive any surprises in the short-term.

Is there anything about this plan that seems like a bad idea?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

That seems like a very bad idea. You would be liquidating investments, paying capital gains tax, and obliterating your emergency fund to pay off debt that is essentially cheaper than inflation.

Edit: leave your mutual fund alone, move your $5k to a 1% online savings account, and continue paying the debt off at your accelerated rate.

Jan 11, 2004

Droo posted:

That seems like a very bad idea. You would be liquidating investments, paying capital gains tax, and obliterating your emergency fund to pay off debt that is essentially cheaper than inflation.

Edit: leave your mutual fund alone, move your $5k to a 1% online savings account, and continue paying the debt off at your accelerated rate.

Yes, definitely do not liquidate any reasonable long term investments to retire debt at 2% interest.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

2% interest is low enough that, if you have a stable financial situation, it would be the kind of debt you keep around because it's more profitable to invest in other assets than to aggressively pay it down.

Don't necessarily take that as advice to do that, though. Investing is all about securing the optimal returns for the amount of risk you can tolerate, and paying down a debt gives you guaranteed returns with no risk.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
One thing with car loans is that by paying it off you can reduce the amount you insure it, since you're no longer required to have comprehensive/collision insurance. If you are not driven to financial ruin by total loss of a car, not insuring it for comprehensive is something to consider.

Another small thing is that inflation is (currently) under 2% and predicted to be that way (judging by bond prices) for a while. So a 2% loan isn't quite "below inflation"

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Like they said, leave your long term stuff alone.

Pay and extra 200 a month on the loan, if you can swing it, and cut six months off of it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gray Matter posted:

You don't need lots of fund options to do good investment, it's all about high quality and most importantly low cost funds.

For TSP you could just move everything over to one of their target retirement funds.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Vanguard Whistleblower Could Get Billions in Tax Dodge Complaint

quote:

If you are among the 20 million Americans saving for retirement through Vanguard, you may be in for an expensive shock. The nation’s second-largest mutual fund company (after Fidelity) is under fire for not taking more of your money. That sounds ridiculous, but based on arcane provisions of the endlessly complex U.S. tax code, the Pennsylvania-based company may soon be forced to pay a staggering amount of back taxes because of the famously low fees it charges to manage your nest egg.

Two years ago, David Danon, a former Vanguard tax lawyer who is now a whistleblower no one would ever confuse with Erin Brockovich, filed formal complaints with the Internal Revenue Service and many state taxing agencies claiming that Vanguard’s low fees are an illegal tax dodge. He argues that Vanguard should have charged investors an extra $19.8 billion in investment fees this year alone and owes almost $35 billion in taxes, interest and penalties since 2007. Under a 2006 law, a tax whistleblower may collect 15 to 30 percent of what the IRS collects, which means Danon could be heading for a payday of up to $10 billion.

Vanguard insists it does not owe any corporate income taxes, but Danon just collected a $117,000 whistleblower bounty from Texas, which suggests the company paid that state at least $2.3 million in taxes based on his information, because the reward rate is 5 percent. Texas audited Vanguard four times last year, finding taxes owed in each case, public records show without revealing the amounts. In November, the California Franchise Tax Board sent Danon an email saying his complaint against Vanguard warranted assigning criminal investigators. Vanguard could be on the hook for about $750 million there.

If Danon wins in other courts—and tax law seems to be on his side—people investing through Vanguard would accumulate much less money in their accounts because higher fees would cut into their investment gains. One of the most widely read tax scholars in America, professor Reuven Avi-Yonah of the University of Michigan Law School, says the case against Vanguard is clear-cut. “The IRS will win in court if it challenges Vanguard’s” policy of not earning profits, he tells Newsweek.

David Danon, a Vanguard Group tax lawyer and whistleblower, says he was fired for alleging large-scale tax fraud by the mutual fund company. He filed formal complaints with the IRS and many state taxing agencies claiming that Vanguard’s low fees are an illegal tax dodge. Tom Gralish/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT/Newscom

There is a double whammy here for Vanguard’s customers: Raising fees to cover those taxes could require quadrupling its average fee, according to Avi-Yonah, who is working with Danon on this issue. Increasing Vanguard’s average annual fee of $2 per $1,000 invested to the industry average would mean a fee of $8.20. If the stock market goes up by 5 percent, or $50 for every $1,000 invested with Vanguard, the amount investors keep after fees would drop from $48 to less than $42. Over time, that smaller return takes a larger and larger bite from investors because there is less money to reinvest.

The paradox behind this dispute is that federal tax law assumes for-profit corporations like Vanguard Group Inc. earn a profit. But by design, the Vanguard Group does not earn any profits, even though every other major mutual fund company does. Congress has carved out 29 exceptions to taxing corporate profits under Section 501(c) of the tax code—it authorizes tax-exempt electric power cooperatives and even small nonprofit insurance companies—but there is no exception authorizing a company investing mutual fund money to operate without profits.

And why would a company do that? Most mutual funds are sold by an investment company created to make a profit by managing investors’ money. These companies buy and sell stocks and bonds, keep records and do other work. They charge investors annual fees to cover their costs and generate a hefty profit. Industry records indicate that more than 30 cents out of each dollar in mutual fund fees goes for profits. That’s extraordinarily profitable—the 100,000 or so largest companies in America typically keep as profit less than 7 cents out of each dollar they collect from customers.

Vanguard Group does not take a profit from the mutual funds it manages because of its unique structure. The Vanguard Group is not an independent company; it is owned by all the investors in Vanguard mutual funds, and one board of directors oversees both. Vanguard Group founder Jack Bogle has said his motive in creating the Vanguard mutual funds was to maximize returns to investors through lower costs, not to maximize profits for the managers of those funds. Charging yourself a profit makes no sense, Bogle explained long ago.

Bogle also says the profit motive creates a conflict of interest between the investment company managers, who want to make as much as they can, and the mutual fund investors, who want to keep as much of their investment gains as they can. He maintains that eliminating the profit motive eliminates that conflict. It can also eliminate a huge tax bill, as Danon argues.

Making a profit matters because of a widely used tax dodge involving related companies, known as transfer pricing. Consider a company that manufactures shoes in Asia at a cost of $2 a pair. While the shoes are on a ship crossing the Pacific, the company’s manufacturing subsidiary in Asia transfers ownership of the shoes to a sister company in the Cayman Islands that exists only on paper. The Caymans subsidiary pays $52 for the shoes, then resells the shoes to American retailers for $60, producing gross profit of $58. (And you pay $120 at the register.)

Of the $58 gross profit, $50 was taken in the Caymans, where no tax is imposed. Edward Kleinbard, who for years was a prominent designer of tax shelters before he began exposing such techniques, says the goal of such maneuvers is earning “stateless income,” so-called because no government taxes the profit.

To limit such ploys, Congress requires that internal company transactions be at arm’s length. That means charging for all goods and services at close to what an independent company would demand.

But in Vanguard’s case, there are no profits hidden offshore. Instead, investors keep more of what the market generates and, when they withdraw their money, pay higher taxes only because they have earned more money.

Danon’s lawyer for his whistleblower claims, Stephen Sorenson, argues that under Section 482 of the tax code, “you are not allowed to offer services internally at cost except for a few truly administrative things.” The Vanguard setup, he says, “clearly does not qualify.”

Sorenson acknowledges that “this is not the prototypical Section 482 case,” in which tax havens are used to hide profits offshore, because Vanguard seeks no profits.

Sorenson and others say Congress could resolve Danon’s complaint in several ways and allow Vanguard to stick with its low fees. One would be to add a line to Section 482 explicitly exempting from tax any mutual fund investment management company owned by the mutual funds it serves. That would surely set off a huge lobbying blitz by other mutual funds, which would surely like to see Vanguard forced to raise its fees and diminish its huge competitive advantage.

Another solution would be to add a 30th exemption to the list of nonprofit activities allowed in the tax code.

If Congress bails out Vanguard with either of those moves, it could add a requirement that Vanguard disclose how much it pays its executives and money managers, perhaps all those making $1 million or more. “Nobody has any idea what anyone at Vanguard makes,” Sorenson says. “They can pay themselves whatever they want because it’s kind of a black box without any disclosures, and no one [who invests through them] cares because Vanguard’s fees are so low.”

Even with those low fees, those managers’ pay could be significant since the Vanguard Group manages more than $3 trillion, a fifth of all American mutual fund assets. Given how much Congress has expanded disclosures of executive pay at both nonprofits and publicly traded companies, requiring such disclosures for mutual fund companies is likely to enjoy broad political support.

Or Congress could do nothing and see if the IRS smacks Vanguard with a $35 billion tax bill. That would make for a lot of unhappy Vanguard investors, but for all those competing companies charging higher fees, the news would be glad tidings of great joy.

Jan 11, 2004
Guess we will see how that pans out but it sure seems like a shakedown to insist that vanguard produces taxable profit to cut into shareholder returns that are in turn subject to personal tax liability.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Didn't they try to do that before and it didn't work?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Well I'm sure all congressmen and senators are vanguard investors so we know how this will pan out.

Jan 11, 2004
I definitely understand the impulse to ensure that corporate fatcats like me, 0.0000001% owner of Vanguard, pay enough taxes on our posttax retirement investments

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
So what do they want Vanguard to do, charge "industry standard" expense ratios, pay taxes on those profits, then return what is left as dividends? That seems like bullshit.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Alereon posted:

So what do they want Vanguard to do, charge "industry standard" expense ratios, pay taxes on those profits, then return what is left as dividends? That seems like bullshit.
It does sound like bullshit. I hope they prevail.

The cynic in me though recognizes that those "industry standard" folks are behind a very large amount of the money powering laws and they all absolutely hate Vanguard.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alereon posted:

The whistleblower was angry since Vanguard is not as run as a for profit company due to its unique structure.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

It's quite clear that the law wasn't written with something like Vanguard in mind, and this is a pretty clear cut case of the letter vs the spirit of the law. Doubly so because the :airquote:missing:airquote: profit is still being taxed in the US, just on the other end as individuals realize their gains.

Not sure if there's an easy way out because there are a lot of financial institutions with a vested interest in forcing Vanguard to raise its rates because then they can raise their rates on their own inexpensive index funds that compete with Vanguard's current prices. I think Vanguard stands a good chance, though, but it'd be a different story if Vanguard were more dominant because then it'd be easy to spin it as Vanguard being anti-competitive. As it is the worst case is some kind of government-mandated price fixing, which is weird in the other direction.

etalian posted:

The whistleblower was angry since Vanguard is not as run as a for profit company due to its unique structure.

The whisteblower stood to gain a lot.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 5, 2015

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yeah, as far as frivolous lawsuits go, this one had an EXTRMEEEELY LARGE CARROT attached to it.

I honestly cannot blame the plaintiff. This is one of those things that would have come up next year by a different dude if the current dude didn't do it. All that said, the lawsuit should be immediately legislated around or defeated in a high court.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
I joined a company 6 months ago, and I'm reviewing my initial choice for where my 401(k) funds are allocated. I'm contributing up to my employers match, and currently have 100% in JP Morgan's 2050 retirement fund.

I've read ifyoucan.pdf and now I'm looking at maybe my previous choice not being the best option. Our company has vanguard index funds, but they're different than those indicated in the pdf. Our list of choices are for Vanguard :

VANGUARD DEVELOPED MARKETS INDEX FUND: VDVIX

VANGUARD INSTITUTIONAL INDEX FUND: VINIX

VANGUARD SMALL-CAP GROWTH INDEX FUND: VISGX

VISVX: VANGUARD SMALL CAP VALUE INDEX FUND

No bond index from Vanguard, but there is:

DODGE & COX INCOME FUND: DODIX

I can't imagine this is right, but would the allocation be

33% VDVIX
33$ VINIX
33% DODIX

if I was looking to emulate the advice laid out by William Bernstein?

Thanks for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

GordonComstock posted:

I joined a company 6 months ago, and I'm reviewing my initial choice for where my 401(k) funds are allocated. I'm contributing up to my employers match, and currently have 100% in JP Morgan's 2050 retirement fund.

I've read ifyoucan.pdf and now I'm looking at maybe my previous choice not being the best option. Our company has vanguard index funds, but they're different than those indicated in the pdf. Our list of choices are for Vanguard :

VANGUARD DEVELOPED MARKETS INDEX FUND: VDVIX

VANGUARD INSTITUTIONAL INDEX FUND: VINIX

VANGUARD SMALL-CAP GROWTH INDEX FUND: VISGX

VISVX: VANGUARD SMALL CAP VALUE INDEX FUND

No bond index from Vanguard, but there is:

DODGE & COX INCOME FUND: DODIX

I can't imagine this is right, but would the allocation be

33% VDVIX
33$ VINIX
33% DODIX

if I was looking to emulate the advice laid out by William Bernstein?

Thanks for the help!

Glad you read the Bernstein piece, it's great.

We need more information to know if a 67-33 allocation between stocks and bonds is right for you. How old are you? How risk averse are you?