Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

Unormal posted:

Here's some reading recommendations:

The Intelligent Asset Allocator
http://www.amazon.com/Random-Walk-Down-Wall-Street/dp/0393325350/ref=pd_sim_b_23

All About Asset Allocation
http://www.amazon.com/Random-Walk-Down-Wall-Street/dp/0393325350/ref=pd_sim_b_23

Can you fix these links to not be the random walk book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
And that's the beauty of owning the entire world capitalization weighted market, the entire aggregate lending market, and a broad basket of commodities.

I don't see an optimization that doesn't rely on backtesting bias that is intuitively better than that.

Another caveat being, you are risking quite a bit of money on a 4% real return rate when you could be going on trips and seeing strange new worlds instead of dying of cancer at 62 and having a horde of cash to leave to either no one or retarded irresponsible step children

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
I cannot honestly think of a better investment allocation than half in an aggregate weighting of bonds and half in all world capitalization weighted equities.

Anything else relies on assumptions on equity vs. fixed income returns as well as "domestic stock" bias.

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
What is the feasibility of substituting a junk bond etf for the equity portion of my portfolio?

Paging 80k to threadid 2892928 (or anyone else really) =)

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
It would be in a taxable account. I consider myself below average at analyzing securities at the moment (and this is being fair, I typically low-ball my aptitude but it's served me well so far)

Thanks for the advice

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

PIPBoy 2000 posted:

Have REITs now fallen so far that it would actually make sense to add them to your portfolio? Vanguards REIT (VGSIX) is yielding over 10% right now. Does that really reflect junk-bond levels of risk?

In my opinion, absolutely (to adding them). They are nicely non-correlating and are now priced at a level that pays you for its risk

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
Well, I can't give you a ton of math and probabilities to make the decision, but I can say that my rule of thumb is: If I have debt, I focus 100% on that, because without that, how can I justify having savings?

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
Are they getting rid of your 401k's or something, or the employer match? Just keep it there. Your earnings will accrue and only get taxed upon withdrawal. This compounding action is a very powerful thing

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

Bob Cthulhu posted:

But wouldn't it need to be moved? Or does that just depend on where it's at now?

Oh yeah. Since the company isn't paying anyone to sevice the accounts, it'll probably be liquidated and (should be) put it into a rollover ira

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

Father Boddingtons posted:

Hey guys, I'd like some opinions on my distributions. When I first started making contributions 4 years ago I didn't really have a clue and just picked some funds. I have since started learning and tried to make some smarter choices. I'd really like your opinions and suggestions for improvement. I'm in my mid 20s so I still have some ways to go until retirement. I use Fidelity since my company has their system set up with them.

FBGRX - 15%
FDGFX - 12%
FIGRX - 11%
FLVCX - 9%
FICDX - 7%
FSMGX - 6%
FDCPX - 5%
FSENX - 5%
FSDAX - 5%
FDSCX - 5%
FLATX - 4%
FPBFX - 4%
FNORX - 3%
FCNTX - 1%
FRESX - 1%

I don't have the foggiest what all those funds represent, but my guess is that you could reduce your portfolio to 4 or less without any noticeable difference in return

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
Personally, I feel that the idea that you should own more stocks at an early age is a byproduct of the 1980-2008 bull market making everyone gush about equity. I keep a 50/50 split in my retirement accounts between VT/BND and then forget about it.

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

Diseased Yak posted:

So the place I've worked for the last 10+ years is facing hard times, and instead of firing people they've given across-the-board pay cuts, and also completely killed off 401k employer matching.

Previously it was matched 50 cents on the dollar up to 6%, all with company stock. Now, there is no matching, but I can freely contribute up to 30% of my pay, all pre-tax.

My question is, would I be better served by reducing my 401k contribution and instead using it to invest in other things, or do the tax benefits of the 401k outweigh anything I could otherwise do with the money?

Note: I'm currently contributing 10% per paycheck, my wife is doing 30%. We are already maximizing Roth IRA contributions.

2nd Note: My company 401k plan doesn't allow for a ton of diversity. It is through T. Rowe Price and features their targeted retirement funds plus about a dozen others, from small cap to bonds. As for our IRA accounts, we have started them out in Vanguard's VTI for now (we maxed contrib last year for the first time)

You're limited in nominal 09 dollars to 15.5k a year, so your wife would need to gross around 50k a year to be able to use that contribution without going over. I'm guessing that's the case, but I just want to make sure you guys didn't make a mistake there.

Is your company publicly traded? If not, can you easily get a price on it's stock? Company stock is risk-laden and a poor investment without a form of hedge that is beyond most people's interest in money. Does your company allow the sale of the stock at any time? Is there any vested interest system? If you can sell the stock and buy another vehicle, I would immediately do it (as in, like now-now)

Are you and your wife's contributions nominally equal in dollar size? If not, considering spreading the burden out equally to avoid any hardship that may result in the case of an unfortunate circumstance (*cough* divorce)

On your IRA choice: VTI is a US domestic equity index, so you're exposing yourself to some non-systemic risk by not diversifying beyond the United States. I do this with VT, but it's somewhat thinly traded and a relatively new vehicle.

The Noble Nobbler fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 28, 2009

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

Don Wrigley posted:

Likewise, I feel that the idea you shouldn't own more stocks at an early age is a byproduct of the 1998 - 2009 bear market making everyone gush about safety.

See how anything can be spinned?

I can't tell if you disagree with me or not! I'm just challenging the conventional wisdom of stock returns. A book called "Unexpected Returns" contains a nice equity matrix heat map that shows the reality of the past returns given a realistic (ie. human) timeframe for investing.

I'm guessing the 0% real return of equity for as much as 30 years at points would be enough to consider diversification beyond any one asset class. The same probably goes for intermediate bonds, I'm sure.

I don't see asset allocation as a useful thing beyond it's use to build up reasonably reliable correlations (and that's actually an amazingly powerful thing if you make sure you're not extrapolating too much from the data).

My personal portfolio is Gold (GLD), a broad, worldwide, developed and "emerging" equity index (vt), an aggregate of the total bond market (BND), a broader commodity index with tax advantages (DJP), and the real estate market (VNQ) in a ratio of 10%, 30%, 30%, 15%, 15%

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

Captain von Trapp posted:

Quick question: how did corporate bond funds do in the high-inflation period of the 70s? I'm a little worried about stagflation and am looking into bonds as a lower-risk way to keep up with (and hopefully do a little better than) inflation even if stocks decide to tank again.

Hobologist is right about what he said, but to elaborate a bit more, your longer term bonds will be the most affected by the scenario you're describing, so what you really want is something that is more coincident (in a good way) with inflationary conditions.

variety is also correct in that you have too many funds. I'd personally ditch USO and get a broader commodity index that represents a larger portion of your portfolio. 5% in OIL is just a novelty and won't have any real affect on performance besides frustrating you during rebalancing

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

Happydayz posted:

Here's my situation:

By October I'll have around $135k sitting around. Broken down as follows:

Taxable accounts:
-$40k in a 4.25% CD that matures in October. New rate on offer is around 1.5%
-$10k in a CD-type account that will mature in October as well.
-$25k in a Vanguard Life Strategy Growth Fund (VASGX)
-$6k Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund
~$20-25k from salary and other pay that will come in by October.

OK, so we have around 105k here, 25% cash, 55% money market, and 20% equity. This is a really good conservative savings allocation, honestly, and I can see nothing wrong with it other than a lack of a very mild commodity exposure. I always advocate a little exposure to commodities, but it won't make or break you. Some people disagree with even touching commodities. It can be contentious.

Happydayz posted:

Tax-advantaged accounts:
-$25k in a Roth IRA that is entirely in the Vanguard S&P 500 index
-$15k in a 401(k) - entirely stocks - 50% S&P index, 30% broad based US market index, 20% international index

As you can see there is no coherent strategy going on here and I'm fairly exposed to the market.

This equity allocation is essentially 40k split into 92% U.S. and 8% international which, to be honest, is pretty bad and exposes you to some unnecessary sovereign risk. I may love this country that I live in, but I don't want to have my retirement resting solely on it's business' performance during the next 30 years. You also don't have any sort of asset allocation in your advantaged accounts, so you're relying on your savings accounts to offset the risk you're taking on here.

Because you plan on using that savings for a large purchase in the future, I wouldn't consider it part of your retirement, so I can only suggest you start blending in fixed income to your IRA's and 401k. You'll get various suggestions on mix, risk, and whatnot. My recommendation is at least 25% in fixed income and at most 75%. Personally, I'm 50/50. If I could (ie. if Vanguard would actually offer good commodity exposure), I'd be 40/40/20.

Maxed out your IRA contributions yet? You have a lot in savings in proportion to your tax advantaged savings. Something to consider.

I hope you found some of this advice useful

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

80k posted:

--

Hi 80k,

I was wondering if you (or anyone else) had input on my asset allocation (taxable account):

30% BND
30% VT
20% DJP
10% GLD
10% VNQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

bam thwok posted:

The important thing to remember is that asset allocation is all about maximizing your risk-adjusted return. It's a negligibly difficult math puzzle where you mix and match investments for their historic returns and standard deviations in different combinations to ensure that, for a given target rate of return, the volatility is as low as possible, increasing the likelihood that you can accurately predict the value of your investments on some future date.

I don't really believe in the value of speculation. The impetus behind the choices I made is that the bond/equity situation is such that neither outperforms the other (so I chose equal portions) and the remainder of the portfolio is a value-retaining portion / hedge made up of gold / broad commodities, and REITS.