Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
So the place I've worked for the last 10+ years is facing hard times, and instead of firing people they've given across-the-board pay cuts, and also completely killed off 401k employer matching.

Previously it was matched 50 cents on the dollar up to 6%, all with company stock. Now, there is no matching, but I can freely contribute up to 30% of my pay, all pre-tax.

My question is, would I be better served by reducing my 401k contribution and instead using it to invest in other things, or do the tax benefits of the 401k outweigh anything I could otherwise do with the money?

Note: I'm currently contributing 10% per paycheck, my wife is doing 30%. We are already maximizing Roth IRA contributions.

2nd Note: My company 401k plan doesn't allow for a ton of diversity. It is through T. Rowe Price and features their targeted retirement funds plus about a dozen others, from small cap to bonds. As for our IRA accounts, we have started them out in Vanguard's VTI for now (we maxed contrib last year for the first time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

The Noble Nobbler posted:

You're limited in nominal 09 dollars to 15.5k a year, so your wife would need to gross around 50k a year to be able to use that contribution without going over. I'm guessing that's the case, but I just want to make sure you guys didn't make a mistake there.

Is your company publicly traded? If not, can you easily get a price on it's stock? Company stock is risk-laden and a poor investment without a form of hedge that is beyond most people's interest in money. Does your company allow the sale of the stock at any time? Is there any vested interest system? If you can sell the stock and buy another vehicle, I would immediately do it (as in, like now-now)

Are you and your wife's contributions nominally equal in dollar size? If not, considering spreading the burden out equally to avoid any hardship that may result in the case of an unfortunate circumstance (*cough* divorce)

On your IRA choice: VTI is a US domestic equity index, so you're exposing yourself to some non-systemic risk by not diversifying beyond the United States. I do this with VT, but it's somewhat thinly traded and a relatively new vehicle.

Yes, wife does not gross over 50k a year, she's just under, so we are good on the contribution percentage. The company automatically turns off contributions anyway, if you reach your limit.

Company is indeed publicly traded, and I can get rid of the stock at anytime without penalty as long as it's kept inside the 401k and not withdrawn. We have been keeping check on it each month and not letting our exposure to company stock go above 10% of our total 401k. Do you think it would be a wise decision to dump all of that, seeing as how we aren't getting any more via matching?

As for VTI, yeah I know it's not diversified at all, and what you say is indeed great advice that I was already planning on doing myself, i.e. investing in something outside the US. We have just not gotten around to it yet because 2008 was the first year that we've contributed to a Roth IRA account at all. Perhaps when we fully fund 2009 later this year we'll use part or all of it to start doing just that.

EDIT: After reading through this entire thread, I see now what I need to do. Since we just started with VTI last year, this year's IRA funding will go to bonds, probably BND, and perhaps a little in TIPS. I'm too heavy on pure stock. Same goes for my 401k. I don't think I'm comfortable leaving it in TRowe's 2040 TR fund, and instead I'm going to divide mine up between US stocks, Internation stocks (both via TRowe mutual funds, as that's all I have access to) and bonds. The highest expense ratio in that bunch is 0.77, most are .50-.65 or so.

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 30, 2009

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

So the time has come to make my 2nd ever Roth IRA contribution. I started it in 2008, putting the entire initial $5k into Vanguard's VTI ETF. Then the bottom fell out, and it's spent the whole of 2009 climbing back up, and is still -8% from when I first purchased it.

Now I'm wondering what I should do with 2009's contribution. Should I start to diversify on such a small scale, given I've just started? I was thinking of picking a Vanguard international ETF and a bond fund (like BND) and dividing it between the two, giving me 50% stock market, 25% international, 25% bond.

Does that sound ok? Should I look in a different direction?

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

Yup that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

It feels like it will be easier to diversify a portfolio once I get more built up, but I guess percentages can be applied to any balance, eh? Thanks again.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

80k posted:

yea, as long as you are getting dirt cheap commissions on trades. You don't want trading costs to become a significant percentage of your transactions.

I have my Roth IRA account at TD Ameritrade. They may not be the cheapest, but I'm only looking at 1 or 2 trades per year. So far I've been letting my IRA contribution build up in a savings account all year long and then investing in one lump sum.

Don't know if that's the best way or not, though.