Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

webwench posted:

I don't know much about that era of BMW bikes. I will tell you that you would probably get used to the weight of whatever you end up with. I'm not a very big person, but as long as I'm not pushing mine up a hill or something, I don't even notice the weight.

Well I'd be coming from a 66' YDS3 which weighs all of 320lbs. Either way its not a pressing issue as I'm happy to rack up some experience on this vintage beauty for a while. I just think I'd like a nice touring bike that I can keep around for years and the BMWs look like a good candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Repo Man posted:

Having a GSXR750 of that vintage in good shape would be really cool.

Nerobro, I still have the July 1983 issue of Cycle that has a write up of the GS550ES. Would you like me to scan it and put it up?
I think whitesnake94, wherever he is, has an 86 gsxr750.

As for the article. SCAN IT. Please, very much.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
Picked up my first bike yesterday. 93 Ninja 500, 4,550 miles, $1900. This poor thing has been sitting in garages its whole life. NOT FOR LONG. Got all my paperwork done today and put 30 miles learning how to ride.

I'll probably remove the custom exhaust. I'm not into ridiculously loud pipes and I suspect, based on reading around, that it throws off the mixture unless you do jetting. I have a good feeling that this was just slapped on.

Don't plan any mods, maybe just add some bags for camera and foods.

See the pink stuff? Yeah, the bike was covered with that poo poo. Spent a couple hours pulling it off and cleaning it with goo gone. I'm going to have to put a decal over that last bit - its clearcoated on. loving early 90s and its bright colors.

RIDING MOTORCYCLES IS FUN JESUS CHRIST

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Well guys I've been waiting a long time for this post.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Bought it tonight after work, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 8500 miles on it. I was going to try and load it in the back of a friends truck and bring it back. However I couldn't locate a ramp nor tie down steaks for his ranger in time. So I did what any sane person would do and rode it 50miles back home. It was awesome, and worth every penny. This is my first bike, and thanks to all of you guys who recommended the Ninja 250, I love it. Pants and proper boots are forthcoming this weekend, as I felt naked from the waste down in those jeans. Possibly a new set of gloves too.

EDIT:

darknrgy posted:

This is what I meant to post.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

blugu64 posted:

So I did what any sane person would do and rode it 50miles back home.

That first ride is pretty fun eh? I did my first ride a week ago and I was grinning like a fool and making GBS threads my pants in fear at the same time the entire ride. When I got off the bike I had been smiling the entire ride and had a few bugs stuck in my teeth.

Below is me on the first ride preparing to pussy out and go sloppy and wide on a turn

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

8ender posted:

That first ride is pretty fun eh? I did my first ride a week ago and I was grinning like a fool and making GBS threads my pants in fear at the same time the entire ride. When I got off the bike I had been smiling the entire ride and had a few bugs stuck in my teeth.

Below is me on the first ride preparing to pussy out and go sloppy and wide on a turn

I love your bike. Don't ever sell it.

Well unless it is to me. :iamafag:

I want my bike so I can post it in all its glory. Come on Monday!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MONDAY SHALL BRING THE INCEPTION OF THE RV90 ARMY.

GLORY BE TO TINY BIKES.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Phat_Albert posted:

MONDAY SHALL BRING THE INCEPTION OF THE RV90 ARMY.

GLORY BE TO TINY BIKES.

HAIL TO THE 2 STROKES!

This is Christmas in July.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 17, 2008

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

darknrgy posted:

Picked up my first bike yesterday. 93 Ninja 500, 4,550 miles, $1900. This poor thing has been sitting in garages its whole life. NOT FOR LONG.

That looks sweet. Nice score.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Spiffness posted:

Thank you much. That looks like a great touring setup.

No problem. They've done me good so far on two out of state trips. I'd reccomend them to anyone.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jay_Zombie posted:

No problem. They've done me good so far on two out of state trips. I'd reccomend them to anyone.

My set already arrived and they definitely rock. Gunna have to make a long trip here soon :)

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I just sold my baby :cry:

for way more than I probably should have been able to get :D

rip my #1 stunna

edit- the guy who bought it drove a mail van to pick it up. he bought it from a university auction. A MAIL VAN! it was the coolest ride ever.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 17, 2008

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I forgot to post my old bikes.

Current - '06 600rr

Before that - '03 954rr (good loving god I miss her)

Before that - '00 R6

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Not an Anthem posted:

I just sold my baby :cry:

for way more than I probably should have been able to get :D

rip my #1 stunna

edit- the guy who bought it drove a mail van to pick it up. he bought it from a university auction. A MAIL VAN! it was the coolest ride ever.

Wow, that thing is radical.

Ben
Mar 18, 2001
IF YOU'RE CRIPPLED, DON'T COME TO MY GOON MEETS. I'LL TOSS YOUR CRUTCHES IN THE LAKE

darknrgy posted:

Picked up my first bike yesterday. 93 Ninja 500, 4,550 miles, $1900. This poor thing has been sitting in garages its whole life. NOT FOR LONG. Got all my paperwork done today and put 30 miles learning how to ride.

I'll probably remove the custom exhaust. I'm not into ridiculously loud pipes and I suspect, based on reading around, that it throws off the mixture unless you do jetting. I have a good feeling that this was just slapped on.

Don't plan any mods, maybe just add some bags for camera and foods.

See the pink stuff? Yeah, the bike was covered with that poo poo. Spent a couple hours pulling it off and cleaning it with goo gone. I'm going to have to put a decal over that last bit - its clearcoated on. loving early 90s and its bright colors.

drat, so that's what mine is supposed to look like. Good choice in the bike, agreed that the color scheme isn't quite what it used to be.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
first bike, sold to AntiFederalist on these here forums

current bike, minus a few updates

not pictured is the 04 FJR I had previously that died at the hands of a 19 year old texting while speeding in daddy's 540i

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jazzzzz posted:

not pictured is the 04 FJR I had previously that died at the hands of a 19 year old texting while speeding in daddy's 540i
i think i remember that thread. still kinda surprised you're alive.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

cheese eats mouse posted:

HAIL TO THE 2 STROKES!

SCREW YOU ATMOSPHERE

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

So I've been riding my new bike for a few months. My first street bike, by the way. I kinda overshot the recommended engine size.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

It's 1203cc

But she rides like a dream, and is very forgiving. The power delivery is linear and predictable (and doesn't seem to end :awesome: ). Got it used with 814 miles on the odo, and have nearly doubled it. Previous owner (room mate) put on a K&N, Jardine cf slipon, and RACE ECM! I found this out after riding it for a month. He also dropped it twice, so no worries there. Overall I'm extremely pleased. Every time i see it I think "drat, that's one fine bike".

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Stormangel posted:

So I've been riding my new bike for a few months. My first street bike, by the way. I kinda overshot the recommended engine size.

It's 1203cc

But she rides like a dream, and is very forgiving. The power delivery is linear and predictable (and doesn't seem to end :awesome: ). Got it used with 814 miles on the odo, and have nearly doubled it. Previous owner (room mate) put on a K&N, Jardine cf slipon, and RACE ECM! I found this out after riding it for a month. He also dropped it twice, so no worries there. Overall I'm extremely pleased. Every time i see it I think "drat, that's one fine bike".

I Love the loving Buell xb12r's. They make a 900cc version too (except this year). I know when I upgrade from my SecaII, that's what I'm looking to get.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

8ender posted:

SCREW YOU ATMOSPHERE

Oh god, I can actually SEE the atmosphere dying :cry:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It smells delicious though, so its worth it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Casao posted:

Oh god, I can actually SEE the atmosphere dying :cry:

To be fair it doesn't always smoke that much, only when its cold and grumpy or I'm giving it lots of beans. Also the smoke deters tailgaters and the elderly.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Some people just want to watch the world burn.

What's so wrong with that?

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO
I've never really been into bucket-seat cruisers or sports bikes, so about three years ago, I worked pretty hard towards buying a ~1970s Honda CB 350-440 off of Ebay since I like that classic, straight-seat look... It never really worked out because there's apparently a 500 mile wasteland around my house for old, used bikes.

Now, I have a real job, have some money, and decided to look for a new Triumph since they look a lot like the old Hondas but don't have the maintenance...

About 5 weeks ago (after drilling down into every nearby area of Craigslist and searching), I bought this:

An '06 Triumph Scrambler (the last and only year they had silver engine blocks). It's not gonna win any races, but man do I smile every time I see it. :)

I saw that Ropekid has a new Bonneville too, but apparently you don't see many Triumphs around these parts...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
God, that's a gorgeous bike. Those and the Bonnevilles are on my shortlist for when I upgrade from scooters.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

kdc67 posted:

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

What's so wrong with that?

So someone else was up at midnight at a theater. :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

phishnut posted:

Gorgeous bike, if my 250 wasn't my first bike I would have sprung for a Scrambler.

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster
You should've bought a Moto Guzzi V7 Classic instead. :colbert:

Captain Amazing
Sep 2, 2000
Here's my little SV done up like an insect.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Amazing posted:

Here's my little SV done up like an insect.

What's so wrong with the stock SV headlight? Maybe I'm the only one, but I think side-by-side round headlights look ugly as sin on nakeds, and it seems like just about everyone puts them on. I love those handguards though, awesome looking and practical.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

mantaworks posted:

Click here for the full 800x500 image.

Moto Guzzis are so pretty.

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO

mantaworks posted:

Alright, fine... I guess I'll admit that Moto Guzzis are pretty great looking bikes too. :)

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
Very jealous of that beautiful triumph. Also I have been eyeing Moto Guzzis here ever since we got a dealer last year.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Current bike: Almost done. The new bars complimented the snowmobile seat nicely, and I really like the look it has now :)

Old bike : I miss it so much :cry:

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 19, 2008

Captain Amazing
Sep 2, 2000

Zenaida posted:

What's so wrong with the stock SV headlight? Maybe I'm the only one, but I think side-by-side round headlights look ugly as sin on nakeds, and it seems like just about everyone puts them on. I love those handguards though, awesome looking and practical.

Nothing is wrong with a single headlight. In fact I wish I had one. It was in a wreck and the last guy who owned it took the opportunity to replace the stock headlight with that buell thing. It sucks for night riding. The handguards I like though. I figured if the frame is black, everything else should be black too.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Captain Amazing posted:

Nothing is wrong with a single headlight. In fact I wish I had one. It was in a wreck and the last guy who owned it took the opportunity to replace the stock headlight with that buell thing. It sucks for night riding. The handguards I like though. I figured if the frame is black, everything else should be black too.

Ah, cool. I guess it's just cheapness that makes everyone use those buell ones. There was an SV of the month on SVRider that had over-under headlights like the Ducati 748:

It was hot stuff. It had handguards like yours too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

phishnut posted:

An '06 Triumph Scrambler (the last and only year they had silver engine blocks). It's not gonna win any races, but man do I smile every time I see it. :)
Man and drat, Bonnies are tasty. I saw more of them in four days in Nova Scotia than I have in four years here. I'm right with you on the love for the classic standard/UJM look, though. It's a real shame Honda pulled the last big Nighthawk and Kawi yanked the ZRX, those were both seriously handsome.

TurboLuvah, is your bike diesel-electric because it looks like a freight locomotive, and I mean that in a good way.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Here's me on my biek.
My second day at Jennings GP. I low-sided about 30 minutes before that shot. You have to crash in order to find out how fast you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WingAttackPlanR
Apr 30, 2002

POE/OPE

Up around Angeles Crest

^ How are the Buell's mounted on that SV, I have a pair that I want to mount on my DRZ but don't have the proper brackets. I bought some aluminum and a hack saw from Home Depot to try to rig something up. I wish I had a CNC machine and some CAD skills.