Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MetaJew posted:

Does this look like a bad insurance ad to anyone else?

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVnXsZfySX8

This makes riding look so boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Ripoff posted:

You know how many I've gotten? Zero. loving zero. :negative: It's the only disappointing thing about owning this bike for me - you'd think that some jackass would make fun of my "lovely bike" or whatever but no, nobody cares, nobody looks, nobody even notices it exists. Everyone's windows are rolled up, even on these beautiful 75 degree days with blue skies. It's so freaking gorgeous out, and nobody lifts their heads from their phone screens.

Hell, you know that goon with the crazy jet-ski scooter? Let's one-up it and take the dildo gas cap, put a fuel pump and spark plug in the dong, and have it pop a boner and shoot a 2 foot flame out the tip when you hit the horn. You could have a flaming cock on a jet ski driving down the middle of the street, and I bet you'll have three people in this entire area look at it.

Maybe that has something to do with:

quote:

I bought baffles off a 796 owner for my Termignoni carbon cans

Why in the world would you ever do this? Like, were the police constantly up your rear end or something? The PO of my bike threw the baffles in the river.

I think one of the best things about debaffled Termis on a Monster is that they're just shy of being antisocially loud while still sounding like the apocalypse. I can tut-tut and roll my eyes at how inconsiderate hipsters and Harley riders with cutoff exhausts are and still scare the poo poo out of geriatrics in Mazdas in traffic. It is the ideal enabler of my cognitive dissonance about how much of a dick I really am. I love it.

But then I suppose mine has a significantly smaller engine. Still, though. Was it some kind of legal thing or was it just too drat much?

quote:

Sadly, I was having trouble finding a person willing to sell an EVO for anything short of a hilariously high price. There was an example out there with 5k miles on it, only 1k away from the first major service, and I had the guy tell me he wanted $10k for the thing which was only $2k less than brand-new. With an expected $600 service interval coming up in 1,000 miles, you basically were paying $10,600 for a bike that was, what, $11,900 brand-new? For an almost 4 year old bike? Hell no.

:stare:

Uh, a new 1200 goes for $20k in Australia (that's about US$16.5k) and the S for $24k ($21k), both with the best part of another thousand required for registration and compulsory insurance. Mine, a 2012 696, was $10k on the road with 20k kilometres on it, ABS, titanium Termis, new Michelins and pillion grab-handle-thingies and that's considered a pretty reasonable deal considering the only thing not-perfect about it is a small dent in the left-side exhaust from a stray hailstone. If I could get an 821 Dark for the $13.5k (in our money) they seem to cost in the States I'd have a deposit down right this very second.

quote:

Finding a 2010 with ABS was tough, so when I came across a local non-ABS S model with 13k miles on the clock and a seller that didn't have his head shoved up his rear end, I jumped on it. It's missing the electronic rider aids, but that doesn't bother me too badly. Or at least it won't until I ham-fist it in an emergency stop and eat poo poo.

You have to squeeze *hard* to find the ABS. I used to feel it all the time on my Ninja, but only ever once on the Duc when I was curious as to where it was. Granted, when I had the little Ninja I sucked a lot more, but I have had to make stupid stops on the 696. They're just really, really good brakes.

P.S. "Duke-atty" "Dew-KA-tee" or "Doo-kah-tee?

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 14, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

darth cookie posted:

"if this keeps happening that I buy a new bike because "I need reliable transport." :getin:

So, Ducati Scrambler or triumph triple? :D

Key word being 'reliable', perhaps neither?
Sounds more like an FZ-09 is in order.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

Key word being 'reliable', perhaps neither?
Sounds more like an FZ-09 is in order.

My wife is unaware of the difference in (in general) reliability between Japanese and Italian/British bikes. :ssh:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The Ducati is beautiful, the triple is just kinda lumpy looking. I had a 2010 speed triple for a couple years and it was just ok. Once the new wore off I spent most of the time on my other bikes. The power is nice, and the handling was satisfactory but looks wise it just falls flat for me.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I liked the slightly older 675 triple with the two round headlights, but yeah that Scrambler. Pity there's no way I can afford one. :sigh:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

darth cookie posted:

My wife is unaware of the difference in (in general) reliability between Japanese and Italian/British bikes. :ssh:

In that case, if you get a Ducati, she will quickly form an impression that all bikes are horribly temperamental and high maintenance and soon demand you sell it and get a nice reliable Toyota car instead. :colbert:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

In that case, if you get a Ducati, she will quickly form an impression that all bikes are horribly temperamental and high maintenance and soon demand you sell it and get a nice reliable Toyota car instead. :colbert:

In a European bike it's called character, not unreliability. :colbert:

Also my wife doesn't like Toyotas.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Maybe that has something to do with:

Why in the world would you ever do this? Like, were the police constantly up your rear end or something? The PO of my bike threw the baffles in the river.

I think one of the best things about debaffled Termis on a Monster is that they're just shy of being antisocially loud while still sounding like the apocalypse. I can tut-tut and roll my eyes at how inconsiderate hipsters and Harley riders with cutoff exhausts are and still scare the poo poo out of geriatrics in Mazdas in traffic. It is the ideal enabler of my cognitive dissonance about how much of a dick I really am. I love it.

But then I suppose mine has a significantly smaller engine. Still, though. Was it some kind of legal thing or was it just too drat much?

:stare:

Uh, a new 1200 goes for $20k in Australia (that's about US$16.5k) and the S for $24k ($21k), both with the best part of another thousand required for registration and compulsory insurance. Mine, a 2012 696, was $10k on the road with 20k kilometres on it, ABS, titanium Termis, new Michelins and pillion grab-handle-thingies and that's considered a pretty reasonable deal considering the only thing not-perfect about it is a small dent in the left-side exhaust from a stray hailstone. If I could get an 821 Dark for the $13.5k (in our money) they seem to cost in the States I'd have a deposit down right this very second.

You have to squeeze *hard* to find the ABS. I used to feel it all the time on my Ninja, but only ever once on the Duc when I was curious as to where it was. Granted, when I had the little Ninja I sucked a lot more, but I have had to make stupid stops on the 696. They're just really, really good brakes.

The last one.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Z3n posted:

The last one.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Got home from work and my little man wouldn't shut the gently caress up until I let him explore the garage

my Apurrlia

GriszledMelkaba fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 14, 2015

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Honestly for me it was just at that borderline of "too much". The one day I lost one of my earplugs (found it under the desk at work just yesterday) and had to ride back home on a short jaunt without them, I was actually annoyed by the bike. The exhaust sounds incredible under acceleration, but the massive cul-de-sac that is my town has speed limits set artificially low for "safety". This place is relatively new and was definitely built during the hyper-large SUV craze of the mid 90's in the US, so the roads are hilariously wide and could easily support 50mph on a bike, however the limits are set at 35 everywhere. The exhaust drones with a fury around 40-45mph and actually got me annoyed to the point where I didn't want to ride the thing until I put some baffles in.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Sounds to me like Ducati (Doo-kah-dee with my weird Western Pennsylvania way of pronouncing "t's" like "d's") put the same level of brakes on the 696 as they did on the 1100. I was screwing around at an empty intersection to see how quick I could stop the bike, and it's pretty obvious I forgot how good motorcycle brakes can be. :stare: These things stop in a hurry, and while I'm hoping I never need to test them to their full extent, it's nice to know the capability is there.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Package just arrived in the mail:

Fork spring compressor and oil level syringe from Traxxion Dynamics. I can finally take my forks apart to replace the leaky seal and put fresh oil in!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Let's discuss "Aprilia" and "Gilera"

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Fork spring compressor and oil level syringe from Traxxion Dynamics. I can finally take my forks apart to replace the leaky seal and put fresh oil in!

Sorry, but there's no way you can convince me that's not a combination penis pump/enema kit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

Make your rebound adjusters flush with the cap (or bottom the adjuster before removing) when you remove them :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Let's discuss "Aprilia" and "Gilera"

Guzzi.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
My toybox is getting full. This isnt even every thing, I have a bunch of random stuff in the barn.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He's right actually, and as a parent, I am laughing my rear end off at that

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

bird cooch posted:

My toybox is getting full. This isnt even every thing, I have a bunch of random stuff in the barn.

Are we supposed to be feeling sorry for you? You jerk.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
This is my new baby.

Shmirgin44
Apr 22, 2010
The FZ-07 seat and headlight look so much better and in proportion to the rest of the bike than the FZ-09. How do you like it? The wife is interested in one.

Ironically, I just traded my FZ-09 in on this today.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Shmirgin44 posted:

The FZ-07 seat and headlight look so much better and in proportion to the rest of the bike than the FZ-09. How do you like it? The wife is interested in one.

It's great, such an easy to ride, fun as hell light bike. Good power, great handling, but my rear end starts to get sore after an hour of riding. Then again, it only has about 700km on it so the seat isn't broken in yet.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Shmirgin44 posted:

Ironically, I just traded my FZ-09 in on this today.

So jealous. Actually been thinking about picking up a fz-09 but ultimately would like a s1000r or 1290. I'm curious to see how you like the bmw vs fz. Did you end up doing any mods to the fz-09 (suspension or fueling)?

Recently rode a s1000rr and can confirm, heated grips are the bomb.

Shmirgin44
Apr 22, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

It's great, such an easy to ride, fun as hell light bike. Good power, great handling, but my rear end starts to get sore after an hour of riding. Then again, it only has about 700km on it so the seat isn't broken in yet.

That's good to hear, my wife liked it and the bolt based solely on aesthetics, I figured the seating position and weight of the 07 would be excellent. I loved the looks of my 09, but ever since the 07 came out it just looks so much more proportional with the same design elements. And white looks killer, good choice!

Shmirgin44
Apr 22, 2010

velocross posted:

So jealous. Actually been thinking about picking up a fz-09 but ultimately would like a s1000r or 1290. I'm curious to see how you like the bmw vs fz. Did you end up doing any mods to the fz-09 (suspension or fueling)?

Recently rode a s1000rr and can confirm, heated grips are the bomb.

Text wall incoming...

FZ-09 was stock except for a windscreen, put just under 11k miles on it since I got it last June. This is in the midwest where the riding season is 8-9 months if you're lucky. Never wanted to have it down for a significant timeframe, so never started modding it. Honestly, most of the stuff people complain about with it I think is overblown. The suspension is soft if you're ripping through twistys or grabbing a handful of front brake, but it was great on my commute and totally adequate day-to-day even with my 240 lb fat rear end on it. Fueling was actually fine as well, I rode around mostly in A mode and didn't have an issue with it. The thing that I think people confuse with fueling is the throttle. The ride by wire throttle is fine as soon as you get into the actual position greater than 0%. Unfortunately, there is some slack in the throttle tube and the 1st 1/10 of a turn gets you no throttle, and then the next 1/5 is very touchy. After 2 months, I learned very good throttle control, but there were times in the wet or in stop and go traffic that it made me not smooth. The worst was when the soft suspension and that somewhat snatchy throttle conspired against you as one. If you were on wavy pavement traveling at low speed, the suspension would get unsettled at the 1st undulation and if you weren't rock solid stable on the throttle, it would cause you to goose it a bit, further unsettling the suspension, and the viscous cycle would repeat. That happened to me about 5 times in a year, so not a common occurrence. The upright seating was nice for around town, but made me a sail on the highway, even with an aftermarket windscreen. It was dead reliable and required absolutely no maint other than oil changes and tires, and I did not baby it one bit. The S1000R is like butter compared to the 09 though. Every control input is 10x smoother, something I doubt I'd appreciate as much if not coming from the 09. I still contest that dollar for dollar, there is no better sport/naked bike than the FZ-09. I am getting older and like to stretch the riding season, so all the electronic farkles of the S1000R called to me. The extra power can't hurt either :) Even with the neutered redline, it still gets the front up with ease. I did the break-in of the FZ-09 in a weekend, unfortunately with my current work schedule, it will probably be a week this time around but I cannot wait to experience the S1000R in 100% of its glory.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
The seat isn't going to get any better. sorry dude. You might be able to push the time out a little longer but a new seat is likely needed to get extended riding times. I need a new one for my tiger and will probably go with a seat concepts seat.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dudes just get a bead seat, they're the poo poo. I just put mine on cause in the cool weather I like that the undertail exhaust heats my seat and the beads are too chilly.

But for real. Bead seats.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nsaP posted:

But for real. Bead seats.

Sorry about your piles.

VVV :golfclap:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 20, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I got one pile but it's posting in this thread

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

I think that's what they're called in the Haynes manuals...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's French for "battery."

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think a lot of times people are too quick to judge a new seat. It took like 4000 miles for my vstar's saddle to break in comfortably. Part of it is getting your body used to a new thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The seat doesn't break in, but your rear end does.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Last time I heard that advice was when I got taken in for an overnighter. Those cement benches are tough but man does it get worse.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

I really do love riding in NE Ohio.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

nsaP posted:

Last time I heard that advice was when I got taken in for an overnighter. Those cement benches are tough but man does it get worse.

You know what hurts the most is the... the lack of respect. You know? That's what hurts the most. Except for the... Except for the other thing. That hurts the most. But the lack of respect hurts the second most.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm back at my parents' for the long weekend and got to take my Buell out for the first time in over a year.

My dad was out riding me on his Street Glide with my mom on the back.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think you accidentally got a motorcycle in your flag picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

My dad was out riding me on his Street Glide with my mom on the back.

So your parents moved here from Austria then?