Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

525 enduro which has been living immobile in my garage for like a month. I can't imagine how terrifying a 690 is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

525 enduro which has been living immobile in my garage for like a month. I can't imagine how terrifying a 690 is.

I think the 500 is probably scarier than the 690 today, but I don't know about the early-2000s model I assume the 525 is. What you really want is the 530 and then bore it out to 570. :getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

advion posted:

What seat is that? I've been looking to do something with the seat on the FZ since my rear end was so sore on the last six hour ride I went on through upstate Maine.

I know the Corbin is comfortable but I just don't like the way it looks on the bike. At some point I may stop caring and just get one though.

After spending years thinking about getting a Corbin for my last bike to replacing it with a bike that came with a Corbin, goddamn do I really regret not having gotten one for my old bike. Compared to how uncomfortable the stock seat on my FZ was, sitting on the SV with its Corbin is like sitting on a cloud.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

What's your comfortable topspeed on 14/44? I just ordered a 44t rear so I'm gonna try 15/44 and see how it wheelies from there. I'm on stock motor with 160/25 keihin carb and a full pipe though

95ish nominal cruising. Ceiling is at 120, cdi limited.
Dirt wheels get vibey above 80. Not ballsy enough to get over 110 on knobs. Itll cruise at 85 all day in that mode provided i stop often to replace rear tires :v:.

Mind you 1-3 are drz. 4-5 is act wide ratio gears. I dont run a steering damper.
3rd ends about 52. 4th ends around 92(earliest shift at 40). I end up splitting between 3-4 often, as a 424 stroker it got annoying as there wasnt much low-mid range power. Going bigbore + stroker solved it.

It should be a wheelie machine with those final gears even stock, but your top speed will suffer bigtime.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Paint Vagrant please come to IRC so we can chastise and abuse you irc.synirc.net #bieks

For starters, when people suggest a Ninja 300 as a starter bike they mean for more than 2 months.

Don't get me wrong that f4i is beautiful and a cool and good bike but you are probably going to ruin it :(

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

captainOrbital posted:

Well, I don't know; that's not my bike. I hate Maine and everyone who lives there.

I know at least Corbin and Sargent both make seats for the FZ. My PO was trying to sell me a pack of upgrades he took off the bike because it wasn't moving on CL, including a seat and a remote-res air-horn, but I never took a look at the seat. Give him a call: his name is Bob.

to quote my governor to the naacp: kiss my butt

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Just imagine what it's going to feel like when we finally get our hands on fuel injected Super Dukes. :unsmigghh:

???

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I felt bad for not posting a photo so I went outside to ride my biek and i left the key on so i took this terrible photo for you

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

nsaP posted:

Paint Vagrant please come to IRC so we can chastise and abuse you irc.synirc.net #bieks

For starters, when people suggest a Ninja 300 as a starter bike they mean for more than 2 months.

Don't get me wrong that f4i is beautiful and a cool and good bike but you are probably going to ruin it :(

I'm too busy out riding sry

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Noooo don't do that the more you ride the better chance you ruin :(((((

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Our 100+hp bikes with carbs feel so crazy fast it is difficult to imagine the next step. Getting on even more insane bikes eventually, like the 1290SD, will be monstrous fun.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Dont bother.

Once you do you have nowhere left to go.

Also you can't afford European with your insurance fraud premiums.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

Dont bother.

It never gets old

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Dont bother.

ZRX is insured for $480 a year with a 1k comprehensive deductible. :cheeky:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Went for a 150 mile ride, only thing that's dead are my buttocks

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

PaintVagrant posted:

You were warned.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Not enough knee down obviously.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

rode both of my girlfriends today~

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

So I traded a 20' shipping container for this last fall;

'99 Yamaha Vmax. It had spent 2 years sitting uncovered in a carport. Spent all winter and the better part of spring rebuilding the carbs and repairing jacked up wiring. Finally got it running well and registered a few months ago. It's surprisingly great for just cruising around town. It can also be absolutely terrifying past 6k rpm. Some better fork springs are next on the list, it's a heavy bike and dives when braking from anything above 20mph.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

'99 Yamaha Vmax. It had spent 2 years sitting uncovered in a carport. Spent all winter and the better part of spring rebuilding the carbs and repairing jacked up wiring. Finally got it running well and registered a few months ago. It's surprisingly great for just cruising around town. It can also be absolutely terrifying past 6k rpm. Some better fork springs are next on the list, it's a heavy bike and dives when braking from anything above 20mph.

The masochistic part of me still really wants one.
Fork swap would be absolutely necessary though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah VMaxes are great - if I didn't already have the CBX build they'd be prime candidates for the "terrifying bike that makes an awesome sound" niche for me.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

"Interesting trades considered"

Ok, that's it, I'm officially asking for a do-over of my childhood.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gorson posted:

Ok, that's it, I'm officially asking for a do-over of my childhood.

Same

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Do you really want a goon for a dad

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:kimchi:

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is goondad buying me a motorcycle? Yeah, I'll take it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I already have an autistic weirdo father, I'd rather trade him for the one that at least let's me do fun poo poo.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

You could ride that bike right now.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Rode this yesterday, dad traded in his NC700 for it

It's the DCT version which dampers it a little bit in my eyes, but he only wants to ride DCT bikes.

I've not ridden one of these big adv touring bikes before so it was an interesting experience. He's a shorter man so he had the lower seat thrown on and set to the lowest setting which achieves a 2-3" drop without messing with lowering links or anything else. The net result is that it's easier to mount and rest at stop than my DRZ in dirt config (21/18).

I only did a short 10 minute ride without figuring out all the buttons and poo poo so I apparently missed out on the fun mode. I think I would need to ride it in sport 3 mode with TC off to get the full experience :rad: It felt very stable in corners for a 520 lb bike on 21/18s but I also wasn't tossing it around like the DRZ, it being new and all.

Everything else is pretty standard, it's a ptwin that's smooth as poo poo but can pull pretty hard if you're aggressive on the throttle, the electronics were pretty impressive. The throttle felt a bit loose though and not as responsive as my Tuono. If you whammed on it hard from stop it felt like there'd be a .5-1 second delay before anything starts happening.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The masochistic part of me still really wants one.
Fork swap would be absolutely necessary though.

I feel like that comment went better with that picture.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Got a braaap project.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Got a braaap project.

Those colors aren't even that bad.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was actually hoping for the radical 90s pizza parlor arcade scheme. This one looks like a serious old dude ADVRider.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice crashed RSV1000 :smugdog:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm waiting to come across a crashed Factory for those glorious Ohlins forks. :v:

I don't want to pay the $800-$1200 everyone wants for them.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 3, 2016

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm waiting to come across a crashed Factory for those glorious Ohlins forks. :v:

With your horse trading skills, why not find an uncrashed Factory and sell your regular model? Then you get forged wheels, too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tarzanspuma posted:

With your horse trading skills, why not find an uncrashed Factory and sell your regular model? Then you get forged wheels, too.

Because if I sell this I know a v4 Tuono will end up in the garage and I'm not mentally ready to spend an extra $4k ontop of what this is worth to do that. :)

There are a whole group of things behind that, but it's way too much backstory.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 3, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

drat that's tidy.