Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

So, I've always just browsed AI, but a few months ago I celebrated 2 years of sobriety and decided that I was finally going to do something I've always wanted to do. I went and took the MSF down here in Georgia and scoured Craigslist for my first bike. On a Friday, this beauty popped up and I went and picked it up that Sunday. It's a 1992 Honda CBR600F2 that's been turned into a 'street fighter'. The fairings have all been removed, the headlight is total junk, there's cut wires everywhere and the handlebars are just a tiny bit bent. It looks like it's been dropped more than a few times in it's life and has 2 tiny tears in the seat. The taillight is barely secured and likes to fall out on hard acceleration. The flat black spray job is faded and chipping off in a bunch of places and it has no mirrors. The odometer is perpetually stuck at 36,000 miles. The speedometer is the only gauge and is off by about 15mph.

I loving love it. I paid $700 for this thing and it was worth every penny. I've got service records for it going back to 2013, it's got new tires, a new battery and a new chain as of a few months ago. The carbs were also jetted out back in June of 2014. The parts and labor for that were more than what I paid for the bike. It's so much fun. I just wish there were more curvy roads in south east Georgia. Everything around here is just straight. I could drive to Alabama and only have to make 2 turns. Also, I've worked on my own cars all my life, since I was 13. I've never done maintenance on a bike and have absolutely no idea what it entails. I've already changed the plugs out, which was interesting but not too difficult. Beyond that? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

So I traded a 20' shipping container for this last fall;

'99 Yamaha Vmax. It had spent 2 years sitting uncovered in a carport. Spent all winter and the better part of spring rebuilding the carbs and repairing jacked up wiring. Finally got it running well and registered a few months ago. It's surprisingly great for just cruising around town. It can also be absolutely terrifying past 6k rpm. Some better fork springs are next on the list, it's a heavy bike and dives when braking from anything above 20mph.

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Went to go look at what was supposed to be an '85 ZL900 Eliminator, but actually turned out to be an '86 ZL600. Still bought it because 1. It's a cruiser with a 10,500 RPM redline and 2. I got it stupid cheap. Like, 'buying my friend lunch to let me borrow his trailer was a significant portion of the money I just spent' cheap. Supposedly needed the carbs cleaned/rebuilt because it wouldn't stay running, got it home and turns out the vacuum line to the petcock was disconnected, and it just couldn't pull fuel down. Still gonna rebuild the carbs though, because I just got a set of JIS screwdrivers and I want to know what it's like to not strip every single screw when working on an old Japanese bike.

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Supradog posted:

I'm not on your continent.

But I still got to ask, did you get the title?

Where is the seat?

How long has it been sitting?

Did you get it for free?

Did you pay more than the cheapest running bike on your local eBay/Craigslist/whatever?

How much did you spend in parts to get in running?

It has a title! And all the parts to make it whole, including a spare seat.

Just took a gander again at the local listings and the only other bike available for what I paid for this ($150) is a Ninja 250 with a locked up motor and no title. If I had wanted something running and ready to ride, I'd probably have to spend $1200. I suppose I should have made it clear that I was after a project. I just wanted something to fiddle around with. If (when) this blows up, I can park it behind the shed and be content that I've had my fun turning a wrench on weekends.

And, no money spent to get it running beyond a can of carb cleaner and a spare piece of vacuum hose I had lying around, I found 4 carb rebuild kits at the bottom of the pile of parts it came with.

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Buddy of mine was selling a bike for friend of his, needed to unload it for cheap, so I figured why not and bought this:

2013 Honda Fury, pictured with my '90 FZR600. Haven't had a cruiser since I sold my VMax a few years ago, and while the factory early 00s chopper style might not be for everybody, I've fallen in love with the thing. There's only like, 3 curvy roads in this whole town, so it's a lot more fun to just cruise around on than the FZR, the shaft drive is nice and smooth, it's just fun.

And, fun story, the friend of a friend that it was purchased from, was introduced to me as Uncle Don. Turns out, Uncle Don used to go by 'Shades' and is a former member of the Straight Satans. He's 70 odd years old, still pretty scary for guy who looks like your grandpa, and has loads of cool stories about the Manson family.