Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Went for a ride with a friend and their friend yesterday. It was amazing. Although it was a typical thing. The other person (on the Duc) was one of the worst riders I've ever seen. He was riding like he was in a car..

Mine's the Ninja, and my friends is the Blade. A lot of fun out to Victor Harbor..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Missing apexes; overtaking stupidly then slowing way down; only using the rear brake; slowing giantly for a corner then only accellerating on the straight out of it.
Just general frustrating poo poo. Other than that stuff, it was a really amazing ride.

e: tailgating...

fingerling fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 11, 2012

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Yeah, it's kind of disenchanting considering it was actually the first ride I've been on with other riders. The guy on the 'Blade was fine, it was his first ride in like 6 months, yet the Duc rider still horrified me.
God.. and there is only like one Adelaide rider Goon. :(

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

The PO took it on a 5500km ride to Nordkapp and back in 2011, so I guess it's proved its touring ability. It could be a blast to do the same trip some day on the same bike.

Nice! I used to own one of them. Stupidly from when I had my learners. Pretty fun bike to have in the city/metro area, but if I remember correctly kinda lacks power past like 110km/h (~70mp/h), which is good as that's the speed limit anyway!

I do miss having something with good fun from down low though.. nice buy anyway!

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Because I'm a massive baby and haven't had a personal bike for almost 5 years, I'm back on my own 2 feet wheels! I'll never use all of the power, true, however I hope some of the other aids keep me comfy.
I'm hoping this turns out better than the last dong-machine I bought :ohdear:

And finally, yesterday, a few days after buying this thaang I found that lying in grass in gear is far comfier than surmised. If only the bike were this comfy..

Looking to get either some replacement bars, risers or something along those lines and some rearsets to ease what was once my knees.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Well I hosed up, wrote the S1000 off in a thoroughly stupid and embarrassing way.

So I bought another bike! I'm taking it crazy easy, and I hope to keep this one for quite a few years. I test rode a local one, so felt buying one interstate would be the best bet (holy gently caress was I wrong).

'06 ZX-12R. Hoping to be able to do some longer distance stuff (first for me), so managed to finagle a full pillion kit along with a helmet case and a bunch of other cool poo poo.
Looking forwards to doing some fun stuff with this one!

Couldn't sleep overnight, so I uhh.. tried installing the rack and poo poo. I am terrible at this stuff, and of course.. you're supposed to put it together before putting it on the bike.

Getting somewhere! I even managed to get those passenger handles off without breaking anything, which is genuinely surprising.

Turns out I loving suck at logging things, so I got it all together. Then I tried putting the seat back on and.. oh.

The latch fouls on the top of the tail when I try sliding it back far enough to clip it down. :saddowns: ugh.

gently caress youuuuuuuuu :mad:

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Mixture of cold weather, tiredness and idiocy (wasn't doing anything irresponsible, though). I'd just come back from being overseas for 2 months and was super excited to get back on a bike. Should have taken my due diligence instead of jumping straight on a new bike. :saddowns:

Forums user Isolationist, (who can't figure out how to link images) and I went for a decent ride today. Though I'd told him the day before - and earlier in the week - to charge his Sena so I could abuse him with every stuffed corner, his charge lasted all of 20 minutes into the expedition. Sped.

Headed east out of Adelaide through some of the most well-known hills for the area, then out onto the tundra thereafter. Surprisingly pretty out there, along with some decent roads (I did get tired of yelling out "BUMPS!" mid corner).

It's a pity there's no real space before this to pull over without being smeared - the hills behind us were akin to what I imagine Scotland must look like.. only brown.

Iso logged at a guess 60% of our trip. We continually find ourselves travelling along the same roads, so we downloaded an app which plots the path you took. Can be really helpful finding roads you enjoyed!

I also put my tank cover on.. and promptly decided it looked freaking terrible and immediately removed it to install the black one. My one defence about this is.. it looks better in person. Black looks better though.

For comparison

Also need to find a powdercoater somewhat near me who can coat the framework on the back of the bike. I'm otherwise pretty happy with how it's looking from an aesthetic point of view.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

If it's not for a tank bag, then what's the tank bra for? Unless you're trying to cover paint damage, or trying to create some, they're even more useless than a bag

It's for a tank bag - I bought the cover (silver), pillion frame and helmet-case together. I've not looked into other alternatives for the tank-compartment side of things (also selection is severely limited in Australia). I was testing the fitment on it, and haven't removed it.

Razzled: duly noted!! thanks for the input

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Going to be leaving on an interstate trip tomorrow, to the same place as posted last page (outback Victoria). I've put this together with a loving shite photo, not totally setup yet. Figuring out where to place a few of the weirder things.

Iso's YamahaR1 DR is.. optimistically loaded. He has more experience than me, but I'll have the speed to run away from his scorn :v:

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Not gonna lie, what with the lovely ergoes on this thing, my considerable weight will all be over the tank/further forwards (and wrists!). Definitely going to be taking it easy, haven't had it laden down but there isn't actually a lotof weight on it. I'll look into Rok straps, I loving hate 'ocky' straps. I swear they're loving laser guided straight for the face :mad:

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
We left Adelaide at 3pm yesterday and managed to make it a whole 30km with any failures! :smuggo:

Then Isolationist's minute luggage capacity fouled on his exhaust, and he almost caught fire. Good times.

My name is Iso and I pack good!

fingerling fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 21, 2017

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Picked this up a week or so ago: 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 with 6000 km.
Bought levers 18 months ago when I was browsing them initially - just waiting on bar-end mirrors and my exhaust now; bloody Aus Post. Should be some (more) fun once it's been tuned!
Super stable and comfortable - especially coming from my brother's postage-stamp sized R1.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I've heard it's been fixed on the ZA (I think 2018+), but for this one - for me, not great. Mainly worst in 3/4th at low RPM maintaining speed, brother didn't say it was as bad as I felt it was but even so.. jerks on/off three or four times before I presume the ECU catches on and levels the input out. Exhaust has been ordered, just waiting on it to arrive so it can get a Woolich tune.
I am coming at this from 18 months without a bike, so it's definitely an amount of confirmation bias of sorts.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

New mirrors on. Thoughts: holy gently caress I can see nothing now. They do look good, though.
Time to find a set that'll actually work and not zoom in on where-ever I'm looking. I promise to actually find somewhere mildly appealing for the next photo!

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Isolationist and I went for another ride. Fun was had. This was prior to the state burning down.
Also, I got my rims painted or some poo poo (boring black before)

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Right. This would be for my GSXR 600 and yeah, definitely with baffle. They have a 'stage 3' baffle, (or something like that) which is even more quiet.

Sans baffle it's.. obnoxious. Not quite FLYIN EAGLE loud, but I feel guilty if I run it straight.

As you've said, you can buy different baffles. This system came with 'stage 1', but I was commuting a lot at the time and bought the most restrictive baffle also (pointless, didn't use as it royally kills responsiveness+makes bike silent).

M4 system though, no complaints. Anecdotally, have seen some of the welds on the exh get cracks (this bike also had like 60k km).