Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
Temperatures below 60 and a few clouds meant the Los Angeles roads were empty today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Probably Hates You posted:

Where did you take this picture? I'm in the LA area and that looks like a nice ride.

This was about halfway up Big Tujunga Canyon Road, which connects to the Angeles Crest Highway.

Here's the specific location: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...ee81e1c834c51e9

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Probably Hates You posted:

Oh, that looks nice. I've been meaning to take that for a while but I've never gotten around to it because Angeles Crest is closed. I figured Big Tujunga would be pretty dangerous around the same time AC is closed. How was it?

Well, after this weekend's rain, Big Tujunga is closed due to flooding and a few mud slides. It should be cleared out enough to drive in a couple days, but give it a few more weeks for the dried mud to be worn off the road.

It's a fun ride, nothing to challenging (which I like since I'm a slow poke). There's also been a real life flowing river, which is a fairly uncommon site in the LA area. My only complaint would be that it's pretty short, about 10 miles from the start to where it joins with the AC.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

redscare posted:

Actually, Big Tujunga dumps you out onto Angeles Forest Highway, not Angeles Crest Highway, but that's just nitpicking. Of the Angeles Forest roads, its my second-favorite behind Little Tujunga. That one is nice and long and is sparsely traveled, compared to the Angeles Crest stuff anyway.

After 5 years of having these roads almost in my backyard, I really should know which one is which. I've developed the bad habit of referring to pretty much every road up there as "The Crest".

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

That white blob on the ridge is Mount Wilson Observatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
Finally got to take the GSXR into the mountains after a week of rain. Only a few hundred miles into ownership, but 2 things really stand out:
  1. It's amazingingly comfortable. I remember my old VFR800 being far worse on my back and wrists. Maybe I'm just a better rider now? :smug:
  2. Jesus H. Christ this bike just wants to go fast. The more I push it, the more it screams "Faster! Faster!! Faster!!! FASTER!!!!!!!". I can't comprehend how anyone could have this as a first bike and live to tell the tale.