Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Since the MMM thread has died, we've lost our repository of what everyone's bike looks like.

So, here's your chance. Post your bike. Nothing matches a bike to a username like a picture. Tell us a little about it, how long you've had it, what you've done to it, or with it. Hell, brag a little. Now, what I don't want, are photo essays. Give us one or two really good pictures of your ride.

If you have more than one bike, post those too. I'd even encourage you to post bikes you've already sold, totaled, or otherwise lost. Lets make 56k modems bleed from their serial ports.

Ack, the image I was going to use is, uh, to big. And I can't be bothered to resize it at 3:42 am. I'll get some pictures up here soon. As everyone posts their bikes, I'm going to try to get those images linked up here too. So we'll have a useful database of riders and bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Christoff posted:

It's a Riaju if anyone was wondering.
No, it's not. It's a Rieju. Specifically a RS2, I seem to recall you saying it's a 150cc. The company website only lists 125cc and 50cc models. Here's the company website. http://www.rieju.es/en/interface.html

VTNewb, edit your post to say what the bikes are. :-) I'm not sure everyone can identify trials bikes off their cuff, and KTM models still are a mystery to some.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Tachonium posted:

1983 Suzuki GS650L

This has been a fantastic first bike. Its not crazy powerful, but has enough pep to ride comfortably on the freeway.

Other than it being almost 500lbs ;-) it's got a little more horsepower than I'd consider noob safe. (that is, 77) On the same lines, I have a GS650 cylinder, head, and carbs on my 1980 GS550. I'll get pictures of my stable, posted tonight, I promise.

And, you should visit https://www.thegsresources.com

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

A 1983 GS550ES. It has a rough re-jet by me and a K&N air filter. It also has a hand wound stator (by me), and a GSXR regulator rectifer. It was purchased for $300 as "misc motorcycle parts." The bike was abandoned at a suzuki dealer because the owner wouldn't pay for the repairs after wrecking it. Skreemer stopped by the dealer and because he rides a 1983 GS550E, the owner offered him the bike.

I'm exceedingly happy with it. It'll do a little more than 120mph, it accelerates fast enough, it hauls me and a passenger as far, and as fast as I like. The seat is a little.. rough on the derriere. My 1980 GS550's seat is much nicer. I'll post those pictures in a bit.

1983 RM250. It's got some aftermarket pipe, Boysen reeds, and some aftermarket front end plastic. It's got all the power and suspension of a modern bike.... but drum brakes and no powervalve. It's a mans bike. :-) I'm not man enough. It's for sale, I want something with disks and a powervalve.

I"ll need to keep digging. But for shits and giggles. Here's a video... of my GS425. And for any noobs in the audience. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5955238524895101958&hl=en

avengero posted:

'92 Suzuki GSF400, just got it as my first bike. Should be fun once I get it to run reliably. And by reliably, I mean not stall out like a bitch.]
Clean your pilot jets and mixture screws. It will idle then.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 7, 2008

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

blindjoe posted:

1984 xs400

I weep for you. Yamaha designed the fuse boxes to break apart. And the timing chain guide rails break off and seize the motor. And the spine frames are frighteningly top heavy for such a small bike.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 8, 2008

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Magnum1371 posted:

My first bike was a 1961 Honda dream

It was rusting away in my grandpa's backyard, so I got it running and ended up selling it. That telever (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) suspension and stamped metal body was something else.

Leading link, not telever.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

M323 posted:

I see your adequately powered motorcycles and raise you this

I picked this 1971 CB175 up a month ago for 450$. Needed carbs rebuilt, 2 tires and a battery. I've been commuting with it for a while now and it's great fun... and 85MPG
You stole that bike. I'd pay $900 and not bat an eyelash.

Just to add to the fun. I washed my RM250, and it's for sale.. When I was still looking for a MX bike, I was looking for an 84-86 RM250. Same sort of max max styling, but with disks and powervalves. Oh for the love of a powervalve.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/mcy/754962686.html Ignore the price there, it's yours for $500.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Sassafrasquatch posted:

Just picked up this '96 katana 600 for $1200. She needs a little work, which I'm stumbling through learning from a manual, a katana riders forum, and of course, you guys. (I have no real life motorcycle friends, although 2 buddies are looking to buy their first too :gbsmith: )
Those bikes start out ugly. Then people paint them flat black. It's like they're trying to make those with taste puke. I also have to say it's not really a katana unless it's a GS750, GS1000 or GS1100. :-) Extra points if you have a canadian 750 with the retractable headlight.

What sort of work does it need? If you need a "redeming" point about the bike. Rest assured you have a GSXR motor in your bike. That said, it's a suzuki, it will always get you home. Enjoy your new wheels.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

*walks like an Egyptian* That was the first music video I ever saw...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

rope kid posted:

I think the reputation was founded by the airhead boxer in the 70s and 80s, when (IIRC) not a lot of other bike engines were particularly long-lived.

More like the 50's and 60's. By the 70's everybody had things sorted out.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Repo Man posted:

Having a GSXR750 of that vintage in good shape would be really cool.

Nerobro, I still have the July 1983 issue of Cycle that has a write up of the GS550ES. Would you like me to scan it and put it up?
I think whitesnake94, wherever he is, has an 86 gsxr750.

As for the article. SCAN IT. Please, very much.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

logiryan posted:

'85 Honda CR250
I no longer feel quite so lonely.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Bike $0, Battery $40, Carb cleaner $4, 12ga wire $0. End result? Nerobro has a 1980 GS450L to play with. ... it's an L, so I don't really want it.

The story behind this bike is long, and sad. And I fear the friend who gave it to me will severely hurt herself.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I couldn't have said it better myself. I assume you're a member of https://www.thegsresources.com

I own a 1980 GS550E, a 1983 GS550ES, 1986 GS550ES, a 1980 GS450L and a 1979 GS425. It's contagious. Skreemer bought his 1983 GS550E before we knew jack about GS's. Jared had a honda, saw our GS's... Well he rides a 1983 GS750E now. KDC67, well it may have rubbed off on her. She's got a 1980 GS550E now, and a 1977 GS400X. And there's a myriad of other GS's on the forum. Ola has his GS750ES (neuterd..)

Stock, they're not bad. But like any UJM, they respond magically to adjusting them to how you want them. My 1980 has the top end off a GS650L on it, and the forks form a 650E, the shocks from a ZRX1200, the RR from a CX500, superbike bars, and the blood of nerobro on it. (I wrecked the bike, hard, and brought it back from death) My 83, other than having a K&N, and a new r/r is completely stock. I'm quite happy with it that way.

You're pretty lucky on the RR front. The one leg cutout isn't the problem. It's heat. It took untill the early 80's for suzuki to figure out that you need to provide the RR with cooling air. The 84-86 GS550E/ES/ESD/EF had their r/r mounted in the fenderwell so they got lots of air. Skreemer's and my 83's have it buried under the seat between the battery and the inner fender. We are both running late model GSXR r/r's on our 83 GS550's.

The 77-82 GS550's had theirs mounted under the left sidecover. Again, away from cooling air. Not to mention the r/r's being undersized by a factor of three. KCD67's 80 sprouted a GL1100 r/r, and mine is running a CX500 r/r. Yey for cheap used honda parts.

Ack, gimme an hour or three, I"ll post pictures of my 80. It's desperately ugly right now

Promises promises. This is my bike the spring after I rebuilt it. Before the new motor, and KYB shocks. LIke the paint job? That's rattlecan.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 26, 2008

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Scary Monster! Dude, I had an 82 XS400 SECA. We nicknamed it the gutless wonder. They had a habbit of seizing on their cam chain guides.... recovering the lost bit of guide required removing the entire top end assembly. I may have a picture of it somewhere. I'd prefer to forget it. It really is the worst motorcycle I've ever ridden. And KDC's LT2 has some bad feeling about it. And I've ridden my 80 without a tight enough axle.

You heard a honda RR fits, you now know someone who's installed two of them on GS's. And several GSX-R r/rs. I get them off ebay, for $20-30 shipped. I do the testing and thow them on.

Repo Man, I rewound my own stator. I still have materials to do two more if anything fails again.

BACK TO THE NORMALLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING...............

That's the last time it looked that pretty. Next gas fillup and the clearcoat on the tank got foggy. I was PISSED.

When I get the bikes sold I need to get sold this summer, this is my next project. It will be beautiful again. And it will be jetted properly. 33mpg is just not right for a 673cc bike.

I think I may have found a picture that contains the XS400. Just the tail can be seen.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I don't get the CB550 love... *points at his GS550* much better bike. :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

It is more because of the support. *Looks at sohc forums*

https://www.thegsresources.com They're better. ;-) There are fewer guesses and fuzzy answers there.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

What did I did? As much as the honda community is strong, most CB's are their own model. They also have fairly short "model" runs. So parts don't interchange easily. and parts that do are random magical combinations. GS's have, and had long model runs. And once suzuki engineered something, they stuck with it. Parts swap easily, and widely throughout the range. And, you don't have the "this was never designed to be maintined" problems you run into on hondas.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

Have you done any long touring on it?

Before we make a complete mess of the thread. catch me on aim or gmail. I'm nerobro both places. And it depends on what you consider "long." Yes, they handle touring very well.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

http://www.practicalalchemy.org/~nerobro/public/Pictures/Galena06/DSC01748.JPG

Full touring rig on my 1980 GS550. The day before the trip, the tank I had spent all winter painting sprung a leak. It had rotted out from the inside.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's a joke, it's not a 2 stroke ;-) Bad rings? Bad valve guides?

Gnomad, nice toys over the years.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

8ender posted:

That not a funny joke. :mad: I thought Yamaha made a bonkers big displacement 2 stroke I didn't know about. My dream is crushed :(

How about 700cc 2 stroke, single. No powervalve.

http://www.atkusa.com/documents/2008ATK700-620ccIntimidator.pdf
http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=332426

Or... There's the GT750 which is a big tame, triple. Or, if you wanna go real nuts, the RG500 is a 100hp 500cc square 4.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Bean_ posted:

I took it off yesterday and blew through it. Nothing seemed too hard to blow through, so I thought it was alright.
"blowing" through a carb proves nothing. Just that the vents aren't plugged :-) It isn't ok.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

They're a "do anything" bike. They're pretty slow, but they are street legal. they float over just about any kind of ground. Just ask Phat_albert. Or Mouse Eats Cheese. They both have one.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

The R is liquid cooled, and significantly more powerful.

And lighter. And has a plastic tank.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

From roughly 80 to 120hp... that's a big difference :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phy posted:

Are those gigantic intakes there for anything or do they just exist to make it look like a goddamn YF-23?

They don't do anything.

I got a new bike too...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

null0ne posted:

For some reason, I can't see scooters without thinking how fun they'd be to absolutely flog around town.
I bought it because of my time on KDC67's LT2. 9hp is a lot of fun. But it's also 167lbs. This thing is like 70lbs. It has only roughly 2hp now. But it will have much more when I'm done.

Unreal Fantasy posted:

where are you from and how much did you pay for that 103?
I'm from the north side of Chicago, I bought it in Aurora, Il. I paid $50. It's been crashed at least once. I need to buy a new seatpan/seat. And I need new cranks and pedals. Right off the bat I'm getting a tuned pipe. I'd like to bore it out to 70cc.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

snail posted:

*scooter stories*
I have a garage full of motorcycles. I like it that way. I'm not giving up my 130mph piles of 2 wheeled death. That said, little, small, slow, bikes are a whole hell of a lot of fun. I like slow, competent, cars for the same reason.

I ride my BICYCLE like I own the road. :-) My moped will be ridden in the lane like the motor vehicle it is.

50cc.nl has 70cc kits for my bike for $72, and a tuned pipe for $60..... Displacement before tuned pipe, and I need to do the math on what the proper pipe will be. But tuned pipes are so pretty........................

And because I didn't say so before. It's a 1978 Peugeot 103 SP. With like 3000 miles on it. Now I know better, I wish I had a SPX

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 10, 2008

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've had this one for about a year and a half. I think. It's a 1971 Suzuki TC90. One might think the unique feature of the bike is the fact it's got it's carb inside the crankcase. That "feature" was typical of small suzuki single cylinder two strokes right through the late 70s. At some point they got their head out of their derriere and went with the conventional boot and airbox arrangement.

There's a hole in the front of the crankcase that's normally got a rubber plug in it. That allows you to unscrew the carb from the spigot.

So, the unique feature of this bike? It's got an eight speed transmission. Well, that's not entirely honest, it's got a 4 speed, dual range transmission. Low range is good for about 45mph. High range will get the bike up to 65mph. The bike is supposed to have 11hp. To make this happen, parts of the transmission are in the timing cover. It's really quite strange.

The previous owner said "the carb might need some cleaning" Check out this needle jet. I think "some cleaning" was a bit of an understatement.

The bike needs a few screws. A new taillight, and the wiring harness gone over. The bike runs right now so long as you feed it starter fluid.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Does the weird rotor setup on that make it any more difficult to change pads/rotors?
If anything, it makes it easier. :-)

My turn!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7036542858529134551&hl=en

Finally good pictures of my 1978 Peugeot 103 SP. I got a suprise today. The bike has the CVT. I thought it was single speed.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Gnomad posted:

They work well in snowmobiles, and I have sometimes considered dropping a amped up sled motor and CVT into a street bike. There isn't much compression braking in such a system though, they pretty much freewheel and that might be a bit disconcerting.

I love that pivoting engine. That whole Poocho is cool except for that seat. Makes a person think about the old spider bikes of the 70's.
The seat is broken. I'm convinced someone tried to do a sweet jump with the bike and caused all the damage at once. Breaking the pedal off, Bending the crankarm, Breaking the seat, and breaking the bead on the back tire. :-) I will be fixing the seat. The seat is supposed to be flat, and it will be again. Or else I"ll be buying a bicycle seat for it.

2 strokes really don't have much engine braking anyway, so a CVT isn't going to change the feel "that" much. According to the manual, this bike should be able to climb a 20% incline!

I am going to just get it going for the winter, and play with it in the snow. In the spring I'll have a 70cc kit and tuned pipe on order.

The carburetor on it is a trip. There's no needle, but it has a slide. The linkage that moves the slide is bent wire. The float bowl is part of the carb casting. The choke, is a real choke, and not a starter carb. Then again, the whole carb is as big as the starter carbs on my 550.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

shootme posted:

1989 Honda Dominator/NX650

Stock aside from Acerbis handguards, smaller mirrors, and dunlop 606's, I also painted it

In other words, not all that stock. :downsrim:

My turn! It's legally a motorcycle now.. 70cc, does more than 40mph. Yes, that is a tin plated pigs stomach.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

God-damned Pilates posted:

EDIT: Not a cop.

Even if you were.... Whatever. You've got bigger fish to fry than a 40mph motorcycle.

Mopeds in Illinois are defined by being 50cc or less, and reaching not more than 30mph in 1 mile. The bike is now 70cc and I'm now doing 35mph in one block. Not that any cop in Illinois would know that off the top of their head, nor would they be equipped to police said rules.

Mopeds only exist in Illinois as "motorcycles without M class requirements" they are otherwise treated as motorcycles. Including license, registration and title transfer costs.

Next project is to get a better carb and intake on there. 60mph, here I come.

To add to the thread.. 1971 Yamaha CT1. Needs a the kickstarter mechanism rebuilt, and the carb cleaned.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

There's a green peugeot 103 in naperville, if you're inclined. Catch me on aim sometime... that budget is doable. My buddy picked up his Batavus for $130.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Wow. How did you kill a GS500? IED? :confused:

Obviously, "improvised" won't cut it. It takes a directed energy weapon.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I found shots of my GS425. It's a 1979. We saved it from becoming a chopper. It runs. And is in that video of me doing a burnout and crashing.

And my $300 of yamaha.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 9, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Orange Someone posted:

Not that we have any opinions one way or the other of course.

But he's right. There's a lot of cruisers now that are pretty damned capable. Anything that's "acutally" raked out. Has a front brake that's "just for show" or none at all. And can't lean more than 15 degrees...

If it can't go. Can't stop. Can't turn. Can't ride long distances. CAn't be ridden in the rain. Etc, etc, etc.... What's the freaking point?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

New toy time. A 1982 GS650E. Needs new intake boots/boot o-rings, some small cracks in the side covers fixed, and sometime soon, a new chain. The bike came with an extra seat, a new battery, fairly new tires, and spare brake pads.

Yes, that is "THE" piggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Raven457 posted:

hahah, dear god man, how many GSes does that make for you now? Looks pretty clean though, nice find =)

I own six... Four need to be sold.