Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

dumb silly baby posted:

Current mods include fork gaiters and full road legal indicators/lights.
Future mods include twin projector headlamps mounted in a gasmask (lenses as eyes) and ammo box panniers with mortar tube beer holders.

That is all sorts of awesome. I would ride the hell out of that.

Here's my current horse, a different kind of Honda V - 1999 ST1100

And naked

I really like it. Not as much of a powerhouse as the new ST class machines are but still more than enough to put a smile on my face, considering it's pushing 10 years old now.

I am still amazed every time I red line it (which isn't often) with how flat the torque curve is.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 6, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

JnnyThndrs posted:

I drive the poor bastard so hard I sheared the tranny mainshaft in half, so the haters can go gently caress themselves.

Harleys don't have to be driven hard to break. :downsrim:

No hate here though. Nice ride especially since you've had it for so many years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Doctor Zero posted:

My Second bike which I rode the lion's share of last year. 1982 GL500i Silverwing. While I loved the bike, I sold it because I moved up to the next one.

You know, I think those are pretty much the definition of a perfect all-around utility bike for the city. I rode one for about 5 years when I lived in Vancouver and almost never used my car. I could stuff those bags completely full of groceries in one trip that would last me for over a month.

Only drawbacks would be a little heavy and underpowered, but it was never marketed to be exciting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

darknrgy posted:

Picked up my first bike yesterday. 93 Ninja 500, 4,550 miles, $1900. This poor thing has been sitting in garages its whole life. NOT FOR LONG.

RIDING MOTORCYCLES IS FUN JESUS CHRIST

That looks sweet. Nice score.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pompous Rhombus posted:

"SCREW YOU, ATMOSPHERE" club member checking in. Bought this 125cc Minsk for $450 in Hanoi last week, my first bike.

If you did a bike tour of Vietnam, Laos, etc you'd better have a thread documenting that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Squishy Buddha posted:

After a few months back home, I made the huge mistake of test riding the Goldwing. It was so comfortable, the power, handling, and the added niche of the stereo made me instantly age 40 years and want one. So, after 35,000 miles in the saddle, I bought myself a Goldwing. I picked it up last weekend, again in Tulsa.. and I couldn't be happier. I have never been so comfortable on something with two wheels, and even though I've taken some poo poo for it (old man's bike) I love the hell out of it.

The 2008 Goldwing:

Don't sweat it. My first bike was an 85 Goldwing 1200 at 16 years old. I actually learned to ride on that pig. Most younger people (16-40) that knock big wings have never even ridden one. Sure, it's not super exciting but it sure as hell is comfortable and about as utilitarian as you can get. Kind of like a big caddy or benz.

I must say though, I am a little surprised you went to one from a Sport Tourer like the FJR as those aren't exactly uncomfortable. How did you like it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Malpenix Blonia posted:

I want to believe that the interval is longer, but so far my only source for any information at all is this table in the Clymer manual:
Oh that is insane. No way does all that poo poo have to get done at 600 miles. Valves? Oil Change? That has to be a typo.

I wonder if it is missing an interval between 600 miles and 4000 miles and everything just got glomped together.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

8ender posted:

Try a hydraulics shop. I was searching high and low for a banjo used in the fuel system of my 66 Yamaha and the local hydraulic shop had every type of banjo imaginable with all sort of coatings.
Either that, or if French Canadian lives on the close there are usually good supply shops with all sorts of non-corrosive fasteners/bolts/doo-dads for the marine industry.

In the off chance he is in the Vancouver area, I can recommend Pacific Fasteners.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cross-post pic from the ST thread, but just picked this up on Saturday.

Had a whopping 1400KMs on the clock. Now it has 2600K because of the ride back. :D

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tindjin posted:

Slidebite how are you liking it after the ride back? I want to pick up a ST bike this fall but I keep switching between the connie and fjr. I've put a few hundred miles on the fjr and like it but have only gotten 10-15 miles on a connie so far.

I really like the bike, but the factory seat is terrible IMHO. Don't know if it's my size or shape, but it became painful after a couple hours. It has kind of a weird angle to it too, seems to pitch you more forward towards the tank than I am used to. I found myself stopping every hour for a stretch.

A corbin or something will be in my future for sure. However, other than that so far so good. :cool:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Zubumafoo posted:

I passed my MSF a few weeks ago, and picked up my first bike this past weekend.

Against the very good advice of Saga (Sorry!), I bought a 1984 Nighthawk CB650. 19k miles. For $900. It was the exact style I was looking for, and you can't beat the price with a stick. It runs like new, and aside from a tear in the seat is pretty drat good cosmetically.

That thing looks gorgeous. Congrats.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think that's a good looking bike. I'm pretty optimistic you're not going to have a lot of trouble with it, but I would like to know your thoughts on spare parts availability and the dealer network.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

King Nothing posted:

If it had a three-pipe exhaust, yes.

Aren't most multi pipes all coming out of a single source anyhow? As in header into one, and then split again?

Personally, I want an tailpipe for each exhaust valve. :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

NipplesTheCat posted:

I did a thing. :allears:

sexy as gently caress

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know nothing about those, but I think it's a sharp looking bike and looks good as is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Not to mention the middle aged tail...

30+ tail is the best tail

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

TheScott2K posted:

2007 Honda VFR800 ABS :toot: 25th Anniversary Edition :toot:
Very nice bike. Congrats. Love that old school Honda tricolor scheme.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo, Thelonious, haven't seen you in ages. How's it going?
I finally threw away those lawnchairs when I moved

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I still have the ST for the time being too. The 1400GTR is a different beast though.

We should get together. I ride south several times a year but be damned if I can remember your neck of the woods. I plan on going to Utah later this summer. In the neighborhood?

Also, gently caress the chairs. Size had gently caress all to do with anything, they were old and UV rotten. If it was size, I would have done it personally! :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Maybe pm so we don the hijack too bad, but no, I am less than an hour from the US border now in southern alberta. Sorry about the Utah thing!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kommisar posted:

I bought a thing. Wasn't really planning on getting a sport bike but I got an awesome deal from my cousin's friend and couldn't pass it up. 08' gsxr 600. The pipe has to go, it sounds ok I guess but it drones terribly on the highway and I'm putting the stock mirrors back on. Those are ugly and they only give me a great view of my arm.

Nice bike. Those mirrors are just :catstare:
Glad you're putting the OEMs back on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just use expandable foam disposables you find in industrial plants all the time because, well, they cost me nothing. Work fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you do need to buy them, get them at an industrial supply store. For $10 you can probably get a small box that will last you for years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you have a problem putting in foam ones you're doing it wrong.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Schlieren posted:

Laser-lite by Howard Leight. These are extremely comfortable to the point that I do not notice them at all when I have them in my ears. I was surprised by this, because they don't look as comfortable as the Sparkplugs. The one trade-off here is that these are easier to insert too deeply into the ear canal, so you have to be careful not to shove 'em in there. They feel a bit quieter than the Sparkplugs, and I can wear them all day. These two aspects are probably inter-related; because they are so comfortable, it is much easier to be motivated to use them properly.

That's what I generally use and they're usually corded. I literally get them by the fistful for nothing and concur they work very, very well.

ninja edit: Sorry about the watch in frame but probably helps with scale

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 18, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Other than the straps on the backside between the bike and SUV?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've always liked the Hawk but never ridden one. They're a sharp bike. Congrats.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

How is it not all rashed up from your earlier escapades? Do you get a volume discount on plastic?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Congrats. Like that color, especially with the black rack and rims.

Dislike the kipass.

The Leo Vince slip on is quite quiet if you do decide to dump the factory potato cannon.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 21, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cpt.Backfire posted:

Did you ever have problems with the kipass, or just rejecting it out of principle? I haven't had any issues with it. Throw the fob in my back pocket and forget it's there.

Principal more than anything.

Truth be told, I am getting used to it but I hate having stuff in my pants pockets so I put it in my jacket pocket and forget about it. Then I always seem to put on the wrong jacket next time I ride :saddowns:

On top of that, I have to bring my kipass AND my keychain so I can lock/unlock the house. One more thing for me to misplace and I am a forgetful SOB.

That said, I understand it is "decent" anti-theft device so there is that. I am slowly getting used to it.

Keeping the factory seat or any other changes?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo, really? <runs and looks>

Yeah, I remember looking at that but I thought it would be hopeless. Maybe I'll try again.

Glad you are OK with the seat. I thought mine was torture coming from the ST1100. Then again, maybe I'm just too fat :smith:

yay for concours buddies! :buddy:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I talked about a little in the ST thread but nothing major.

Ripped out the OEM seat and put in a Corbin/Smuggler combo, little more aggressive ECU flash (tuned for a slip on and better secondary performance), Leo slip on, Kaoko throttle lock and a smoked windshield.

Longest trip so far, sadly, was the inaugural ride last year almost this time. Bought it from a guy in Ft. McMurray AB and had something like 1100KMs to get it home, which was about as much mileage as was on the bike when I bought it. Have done a few decent day trips though (5-ish hours).

Doing a weekend ride in 2 weeks up to Edmonton area and then maybe heading south to Utah in mid-September for a few days. That's about it.

Recent photo

Edit: Holy poo poo that photo compressed bad.

Oh whelp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 22, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Problem for the guy I bought mine off of is that he was pretty short and the connies are not really made for vertically challenged people.

He ordered his so he really couldn't sit on it first.

His loss, my gain! :buddy:

Although being from Ft. McMurray, losing a few K $$$ isn't really a big deal. It's not much of a stretch when I say that most people that work in the oil sands are pulling in 6-figures $$... he was for sure as he was an Electrical Engineer.

Edit: And yeah, Backfire, 2010 Neptune Blue.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ola posted:

Nice bike, you should put that GIF on your Geocities page.

Hah, I see I did save it as a GIF. That at least explains some of the compression looking odd. Thanks. :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So how different is the V-Boost thing than secondaries opening up on a modern bike like the ZX14 or Concours 14?

That asked, I secretly lust for a V-Max and will someday own one. Might be a newer gen though although the older ones have a soft spot in my heart. I think I still have a sales brochure from when I almost bought one brand new in 1999/2000 or so.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 5, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pubic Lair posted:

I realized my Zephyr was just not comfortable for long hauls and decided to sell it and snapped this pic while waiting for the buyer to pick it up.

The cash from the zephyr and a pell grant refund later I got this.

Is the Harley more comfortable than the Zephyr?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

vollgasflorett posted:

I finished servicing my new purchase this week so I thought it was a good chance to put up some shots.

It's a 1985 Suzuki GSX 1100 EF with an original 55000km on the clock. I picked it up off of it's second owner who had bought it as an engine donor for a custom streetfighter project but felt it was too good to part out. I've given it a full service and reset all the adjustable suspension to factory standard as opposed to maximum so it is ready to ride but it has just started to snow round here so I think I'll clean and detail it this weekend and stash it away ready for spring.
As for the streetfighter builder, he ended up buying a Mojo frame and built up a bike around a 1750cc Harley twin cam motor instead...
Nice bike. :)

That is virtually identical to the first bike I ever rode, except it was a red/black 1150EF

Scared the hell out of me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ought ten posted:

Well obviously. We don't have kilometers down here in the states.

I go across the 49th many times a year, and I always get a kick out of the inevitable sign just on the :canada: side of the border says "SPEED LIMITS ARE METRIC" just because you know they've had people think the speed limits really are 110MPH on the highway and 50MPH going through downtown.

Yes, I am easily amused.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

loving fantastic. How does it ride?

Also, more pics. I wanna see the cute widdle turbo :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, I kinda guessed the issue was with the bars. It's a long reach to low bars. Most owners seem to compensate by growing a big beer belly to rest on the tank

Hey I resemble that remark! :mad:

I had similar complaints with my ZG1400 connie when I first had it. I realize they are not the same bike (although IIRC the seats actually are interchangeable) but I actually took the risers out of mine as they shifted my weight so much my rear end hurt.

The biggest improvement I made, by far was getting rid of the OEM seat and going with the Corbin saddle. It is a little lower (hence changes the geometry of your riding position) but it made all the difference in the world. It actually has less padding, but was significantly more comfortable.

Also, I like the red. I don't know if I've ever seen one in red before.

Also, redlining that thing in first will probably have you at 70+ MPH.