Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannah Banana
Jul 16, 2009

Let me show you the REAL New Deal

Calavera posted:

:woop: It's so nice to pick a project up again after putting it down awhile, especially if you didn't really want to put it down in the first place. I've made 2 cat beds in the past 4 days and I could barely stand to put them down so I could go to sleep. :3:

I know! The only reason I put it down in the first place was because I ran out of yarn, and then because of school, and right now because it feels like my hands are about to fall off!

But it's OK though because I am enjoying this, I am surprised how quickly I picked up in it. I knew I shouldn't have put off learning how to do this, I seem to be pretty good at it! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

Ragnar Danneskjold posted:

After a week of hell for school, I finally got a chance to start on my scarf again! I was able to join a second color, and it looks pretty good so far. It kind of looks like the new color is not the same width, but it has the same number of holes across. So I guess it is just because the first part has been sitting for a week or more, and is a bit more stretched out. I think I should be done tomorrow with it! :unsmith:

Is your second yarn a different weight/manufacturer? That can make a fair difference - here I find that even when everything is labelled DK the yarns can be quite different in thickness. Very annoying when you run out halfway through a project!

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

After a week of hell for school, I finally got a chance to start on my scarf again! I was able to join a second color, and it looks pretty good so far. It kind of looks like the new color is not the same width, but it has the same number of holes across. So I guess it is just because the first part has been sitting for a week or more, and is a bit more stretched out. I think I should be done tomorrow with it! :unsmith:

Your tension may have changed with your, well, tension. If you're stressed or whatever you may crochet tighter. How you're feeling can and will affect your tension.

But it's OK though because I am enjoying this, I am surprised how quickly I picked up in it. I knew I shouldn't have put off learning how to do this, I seem to be pretty good at it! :3:

Every time I make something (except for the stupid cup cozy I made last night that's too big) I'm so surprised that I made something. And I wish I had started sooner, too. It seems intimidating at first, but there are so many quick and easy projects to get started on and learn the basics.

Hannah Banana
Jul 16, 2009

Let me show you the REAL New Deal
The yarn I got yesterday is still Lion Brand yarn, same weight, size, etc. Like I said I think it's just because the first part has been at rest for a week, and the newer part was just crocheted yesterday. It doesn't look all that dissimilar, I have been doing everything exactly as I always do. I am sure it will be fine. :unsmith:

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
I've been teaching myself crochet the last month or two via online instructional videos, the Stitch N' Bitch crochet book, and Crochet for Dummies. It's going pretty well so far, and I've already finished a few projects. I've been concentrating on picking up a new technique with each new project.

I practiced the single, double, and triple crochets making some coasters and placemats, and then I used this pattern to learn crocheting in the round. I think I must have messed up and had to unravel that bag at least 10 times, but I finally got the hang of it in the end.

My new project is my first foray into granny squares. It's going well so far, have the first strip of squares done. It's going alot faster than I thought it would.

I need to buy a new digital camera this week so I can take some pictures, the camera on my phone *sucks*, and my old digital camera doesn't have compatible drivers that work on my computer anymore. =/

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

I lost a week to work on my afghan. Instead of being done by September 9th... It now has to be done by August 30th.

AUGH!

I have 3 more squares to go and have to join them together... As well as teach and grade. :weep:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I just got a tunisian hook in a bunch of old crochet hooks from ebay, I'm now attempting to make my kid a fuzzy pillow in bulky yarn.

In other news, I bought a yarn winder, it is the best thing ever! :3:
I spent most of today winding every ball of yarn I own and giggling madly to myself.

Extra Smooth Balls fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 24, 2009

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

Click here for the full 529x604 image.

This looks weird full size. I used http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/index.php and Season 2 dvd for the picture/pattern.

Calavera
May 12, 2008

god's way of telling you no.
I made a couple of cat beds in as many days last month using this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cuddle-bed.

I used up nearly all of my scrap and acrylic yarn. The first bed I made was a bit too small:

(and yes, I shoved his rear end in there for the photo)

So I decided to donate that one to the cat rescue my cat we got my cat from and made a bigger one:

The fat little bastard loves it, though the sides of the bed have become floppy with use. I'm thinking of weaving some twist ties or something in there to get them to stand better.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I did this project the other night in just a few hours. It's my second-ever completed project, and it turned out awesome. I had no pattern, just eyeballed my camera and went from there. It fits it perfectly, and is way better than I even thought it might be.

I was afraid of doing the bottom of it the most, since I've never closed anything off before, but I just went with what looked right, and it didn't turn out horrible!

Hooray for crochet!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Okay, now that I've found the right thread...

I'm just learning to crochet. I've just been practicing making rows of double and triple crochets. The stitches in the middle are pretty good, but my edges are lumpy.

I keep getting these big gaps at the end of a row of stitches. They're holes big enough to put the hook straight through 'em.

Sorry about the crap photos. I highlighted the holes in red.

I've tried using shorter turning chains (chaining two for a triple and one for a double), but that doesn't seem to help. Any advice? I must be doing something fruity because I can't see a reason why I'd be using shorter turning chains that everyone else on earth.

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 26, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Turning holes is my main problem in doing crochet, too. :smith: But luckily I've found a pattern that lets me cheat:

http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/2006/11/vintage_vertica.html

I've made a scarf and a pot holder using this method and it works like a charm. So I can at least make squares and rectangles.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Can I get a difficulty rating please? A friend of mine asked me to "knit" him this Cthulu balaclava. However, it is CLEARLY crocheted (it says so on the link). I know jack poo poo about following a crochet pattern and usually make it all up as I go along, which may be in my favour as THERE IS NO PATTERN.

http://archmage.livejournal.com/2062431.html

Ninja edit... ooh, someone on Ravelry is selling a pattern for a knitted one instead. Decisions, decisions...

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

madlilnerd posted:

Can I get a difficulty rating please? A friend of mine asked me to "knit" him this Cthulu balaclava. However, it is CLEARLY crocheted (it says so on the link). I know jack poo poo about following a crochet pattern and usually make it all up as I go along, which may be in my favour as THERE IS NO PATTERN.

http://archmage.livejournal.com/2062431.html

Ninja edit... ooh, someone on Ravelry is selling a pattern for a knitted one instead. Decisions, decisions...

It looks fairly straightforward to me; the hat part will be simple increasing and then rows straight down with a gap across the middle. I've done that for amigurumi before. The tentacles look like just tubes filled with toy stuffing, decreasing towards the end? I'm not sure how you'd do the eyebrows but I'd presume all these things are just sewn on to the balaclava at the end.

Speaking of amigurumi, please meet Emperor Ming, which I made for a swap recently:

If you're familiar with Flash Gordon you may spot this is Ming's wedding outfit. 300+ beads. Argh.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I discovered something I'm must be doing weird. I'm still getting the big holes between the ends of my rows of double crochets. I tried pulling down on my last stitch to tighten it up before making two slip stitches for my turning chain, but that didn't work.

I pulled out the last few stitches and tied off the row. For some reason my very last... loop (?)... is enormous while all the other ones to the right of it look pretty normal.

I have no idea what I'm doing to cause this and it's driving me bonkers.

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 26, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

discordiaskitten posted:

It looks fairly straightforward to me; the hat part will be simple increasing and then rows straight down with a gap across the middle. I've done that for amigurumi before. The tentacles look like just tubes filled with toy stuffing, decreasing towards the end? I'm not sure how you'd do the eyebrows but I'd presume all these things are just sewn on to the balaclava at the end.

Speaking of amigurumi, please meet Emperor Ming, which I made for a swap recently:

If you're familiar with Flash Gordon you may spot this is Ming's wedding outfit. 300+ beads. Argh.

Discordiaskitten used "cute thing"!
It's super effective!
Madlilnerd was paralyzed!

That is beyond the "squeal" stage of adorable and out the other side. I love love love him. How big is he? I'm guessing those beads are about 5mm long.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

madlilnerd posted:

Discordiaskitten used "cute thing"!
It's super effective!
Madlilnerd was paralyzed!

That is beyond the "squeal" stage of adorable and out the other side. I love love love him. How big is he? I'm guessing those beads are about 5mm long.

:D Thanks, I am pretty proud of him! He's based on a Creepy Cute Crochet basic pattern (NeedleNoodles) and I work tight, so he's about 9cm tall with an extra 2cmish for the collar. The bugle beads are 4mm, the fabric-painted motifs maybe just over 1cm.

My swap partner gave him her back garden as a kingdom: http://bit.ly/CgCWW - you can see the other bits and pieces I made for her there too (and on my blog here, ofc http://bit.ly/3AgHZQ - there's a shot of him from the back there). I tend to go a bit overboard with amis...my Paladin is not bad either: http://bit.ly/sHqtr

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Does anyone have an opinion on bamboo crochet hooks? I've been trawling eBay for a set to give a friend for Christmas and was wondering if there's a brand or type that hookers prefer.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

VR Cowboy posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on bamboo crochet hooks? I've been trawling eBay for a set to give a friend for Christmas and was wondering if there's a brand or type that hookers prefer.

I love the metal hooks with the bamboo handle, but the ones that are solid wood always seem to give me trouble. They seem to make my hands sweat more, and its really irritating. Susan Bates Bamboo Handle Crochet hooks are my favorite.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I had posted in here for advice for edging my purse - it's done now! This was for a gift for a friend. It turned out amazing, I couldn't have asked for better. She loves it, and now I want one for myself (except mine will be pink).

Full View - The strap is VERY stretchy, which is why it looks so short. It hangs directly at the hip when it has things in it.

The handstitched liner (Can't wait for a sewing machine!)

This took many months not because I'm slow, but more because I was intimidated to move to the next step each time. Now that I've done it, I'm fairly certain I could make these much faster. I learned SO MUCH doing this, and spent a ton of time researching the best ways to go about things. Completing a big project is very satisfying :D .

I love the chain-link look, and am thinking of making other things like scarves using fatter links.

Also, I highly recommend the purse-liner tutorial someone in this thread linked me - http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blo...cheted-bag.aspx . It was very helpful, and she has neat things on her site to make.

pepsigloworm fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 8, 2009

I am the milkman
Oct 25, 2005
my milk is delicious
Anyone know how to make something like this? http://www.imudesign.org/designs_large_lightcarpet_1.html Looks like crochet to me.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
That wouldn't be very hard to do at all. You'd just need to crochet around the lights. You'd want the strip of lights on top of the crochet hook (the part facing you), and you would have the top loop above the lights and the rest of the stitch at the bottom (I think; you might have to test it out to be sure).

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

I am the milkman posted:

Anyone know how to make something like this? http://www.imudesign.org/designs_large_lightcarpet_1.html Looks like crochet to me.
Very cool, I like that
Looks like macrame/knotting to me though and is way easier than crochet (in my opinion). Not sure what knot but maybe just a very spaced out square

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
It reminds me of Irish crochet, where you use a padding cord and crochet over it. Instead of using a thick piece of string and your thin string over it, you use something like yarn made from stips of t-shirt over rope lights.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
We finally got a cold front here in Dallas, and we're trying to conserve energy by lowering our heat this season. Sadly, this means my feet freeze constantly. So, I made myself some thick, warm, oasty-toasty socks!

Used a strand of pink for the leg and foot part, a strand of purple for the toe and heel, and a strand of this variegated purple boucle throughout. I'm definitely gonna have to make a few more pairs of these, using two strands of yarn made em extra-thick and warm. :keke:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo

Cerri posted:

So, I made myself some thick, warm, oasty-toasty socks!

Those look awesome - do you have the pattern you used? I've been pondering making some nice socks, my feet are always frozen.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006

pepsigloworm posted:

Those look awesome - do you have the pattern you used? I've been pondering making some nice socks, my feet are always frozen.

Used this pattern: http://www.crochetandknitting.com/socks.htm

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish
Yay! I'm finally starting to wade through this forum and glad I found this thread. I always have a million crochet projects going at one time and every once in a while I actually finish one.

Here's a dress I just gifted to the daughter of some friends:

And here are some octopodes:

I noticed that there was another octopus with jaunty hat in this thread. Great minds think alike!

InferiorCatwoman
Apr 27, 2007
There may have been an incident with a kitchen implement and his hand... the implement may have been a sandwich toaster and I may have introduced his hand to it.

Artemisia posted:

And here are some octopodes:

OMG SO CUTE! Pattern available anywhere?

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
Does anyone know where I can find a free pattern for an amigurumi skunk? I ransacked google for one, but they're drat near nonexistent.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Does anyone know where I can find a free pattern for an amigurumi skunk? I ransacked google for one, but they're drat near nonexistent.

My advice would be to find something similar (a squirrel is probably your best bet) and then just rearrange the colours. It all depends how cartoony/accurate you want it to be.

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

InferiorCatwoman posted:

OMG SO CUTE! Pattern available anywhere?

They're mostly made up. The body starts out as a ball, but stop when it's half a ball, add some height with plain rows, and then finish off with a flat circle in decreases (just grabbing the inside edge of the row where you "turn" to make more of an angle). The legs are a few rows of single crochet, which curls like that on its own. I think I might have slip stitched along the base of the body between the legs, but you could just as easily make separate legs and stitch them on. I can't remember exactly what I did for the little top hats but I think I tried to make the shape of the hat and the brim more of an oval instead of a plain cylinder and circular brim.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

My advice would be to find something similar (a squirrel is probably your best bet) and then just rearrange the colours. It all depends how cartoony/accurate you want it to be.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. :downs:

Edit: For those of you making amigurumi stuff, where do you get the 5mm plastic eyes? The only ones I've found at local craft stores are 9mm and higher. I'm outside of Chicago, if that helps. I've been looking online hoping I could get a deal buying in bulk but I've had no luck.

Isis Q. Dylan fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 1, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. :downs:

Edit: For those of you making amigurumi stuff, where do you get the 5mm plastic eyes? The only ones I've found at local craft stores are 9mm and higher. I'm outside of Chicago, if that helps. I've been looking online hoping I could get a deal buying in bulk but I've had no luck.

The supply section of Etsy and Ebay shops are good places to look. You can quite often get interesting eyes too, like "zombie" ones with red pupils. Etsy's supply section has loads of eyes, anything from 3mm to 12mm.

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=supplies&search_query=amigurumi+eyes

Enjoy!

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

^^^Thank you for that link. I spent more money than I should've on those. Everyone I know is getting amigurumi for christmas.

I ended up getting a decent skunk pattern. It's this one. At first I was pissed that it was sold out. I couldn't think of a decent reason a PDF file would be sold out. Then I contacted the seller and she told me that Leisure Arts had snatched up a bunch of her patterns for a book due out early next year. Since she's great and awesome and worthy of a million shout outs, she said that while she couldn't legally sell it to me, she could give it to me if I bought another pattern. I can't say she can give everyone such great deals but I love most of her stuff.

And because everyone loves pictures (and jaunty octupi):

These are the ones I've recently finished. Up next is Zoidberg! I'm wary of trying to make him because I'm going to wing it and adapt a Cthulhu pattern I've got.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

That fish is so :3:

As far as Zoidberg goes, are you talking about the Cthulu pattern in Creepy Cute? I've thought about doing that myself with that particular pattern. I think it could work.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

^^^Thank you for that link. I spent more money than I should've on those. Everyone I know is getting amigurumi for christmas.

These are the ones I've recently finished. Up next is Zoidberg! I'm wary of trying to make him because I'm going to wing it and adapt a Cthulhu pattern I've got.

No probs. I really want your goldfish, but in giant. Like 50cm long.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I'd share the goldfish pattern, but I don't want to start a world of crap after the lady was so nice. It's really easy to make though. I bet if you used a bigger hook and thicker yarn you could make it as big as you want.

The Cthulhu pattern is from Creepy Cute. In fact, I probably heard about Creepy Cute Crochet from this thread, now that I think about it. I googled Zoidberg Amigurumi and someone already had the Zoidberg/Cthulhu idea.

Paper Lantern
Nov 7, 2009

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Up next is Zoidberg!

Im currently working on Nibbler using a pattern I found here.

I haven't really crocheted that much before so I wasn't sure how he'd turn out but he's looking pretty good so far. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Paper Lantern posted:

Im currently working on Nibbler using a pattern I found here.

I haven't really crocheted that much before so I wasn't sure how he'd turn out but he's looking pretty good so far. :)

I love her blog. Fantastic patterns and instructional viids. I made a Brain Slug as my first little project. Made the rookie mistake for not going through both loops when it doesn't specify which loop to work through (I cannot find a straight answer on which loop to crochet through when it doesn't specify), but it otherwise turned out nicely. Can't wait to try the Nibbler pattern soon.

Modified a rocket ship pattern for a friend's christmas present. I'll put the finishing touches on a post pics soon.