Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex banner
Nov 4, 2004

NancyPants posted:

I don't understand the side one and two thing. Are we talking right side and wrong side or is this a side of the square that's being made?

we're talking about what side of the square is being made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cusnacks
May 23, 2008

by angerbot

shark farts posted:

Kind of a repost, made another Valentine's kitty and fixed up the pink one I already posted a photo of. They're all finished and boxed up to send to my admiree :)

I made sure to write down the pattern and tried to improve it as I worked, if anyone would be interested in the pattern (it might be a little confusing at parts due to my lack of know-how but it's not too hard) just let me know. I'd love to see what other people's look like!

I am so very interested in seeing a pattern for these, omg cute:3.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

rex banner posted:

we're talking about what side of the square is being made

I didn't realize these little guys were so small! Cute little squares.

What method did you use to sew them together? I'm making a small blanket with a variegated blue and a variegated brown in a checkerboard, but I don't want my sewing yarn to show.

Fruitbat
Sep 30, 2004
Ah I'm really struggling with this, I did a little french knitting in school 16+ years ago and spotted the thread after failing to click The Dorkroom. I have decided to make a cosy for my cafetiere (french press type coffe maker).

I can make a chain but when it comes to making a second row it all gets in a mess. ive watched a few youtube vids but none seem that clear and I just get a huge knot and have to start again Grrrrrr. Im using acrylic double knit and a UK 5.5mm hook if that helps.

edit: Also my rows look really loose and odd shaped compared to the vids, I know i just started today but cant see how to make them tighter and staill be able to tell the different holes appart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i2b3me__Yk&feature=related this is best vid i found so far.
Also when she says double thread on top and single on bottom mine always comes out the other way with the double nearer my right hand holding the hook.

Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 9, 2010

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Do you know how to work into the chain once you made it? I mean...do you feel like you've gotten that part down?

Also, how are you holding your yarn in your opposite hand?

Fruitbat
Sep 30, 2004
I wrap it over my little finger then up the back of my hand over my index then hold with ring finger and thumb.

Have tried again but thi time pulled the loops fairly tigh and it seems to help, i was making them looser and looser and thats what was making a mess of thing as the wool ws twisting round itself. I just got half my second row done and it looks ok so far.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Fruitbat posted:

Ah I'm really struggling with this, I did a little french knitting in school 16+ years ago and spotted the thread after failing to click The Dorkroom. I have decided to make a cosy for my cafetiere (french press type coffe maker).

I can make a chain but when it comes to making a second row it all gets in a mess. ive watched a few youtube vids but none seem that clear and I just get a huge knot and have to start again Grrrrrr. Im using acrylic double knit and a UK 5.5mm hook if that helps.

5.5mm is too big for DK. Use a 4mm instead and you'll get much better results.

Fruitbat
Sep 30, 2004
Cool i have a 3.5mm as well but could not get a 4mm earlyer as there is a crochet part work just released in the UK apparently and shes selling about 20 a day and her stockist is on back order!

A black person
Oct 3, 2007

Bender, stop shutting the hell up!
I've been on vacation for the last month and I've been crocheting my rear end off. I don't have pics of everything I've made because I've given a lot of it away. I've done two small amigurumi bears (with tiny scarves!) and one big amigurumi bunny--all of these were given to my cousins before I took pictures of them. I've also made a few hats and scarves. I've been experimenting with combining crochet and weaving, ripped off from inspired by the stuff this lady makes.

But my favorite thing that I've made lately is this afghan:

(Sorry for the crappy pic, all I have is my phone and it sucks...in real life it's a nice shade of olive green, not grayish at all).
It was really easy to make and I want to make more in different colors, but I'm trying to restrain myself from buying a lot more yarn.

My latest project, which I will post when I'm further into it, is making little leaf and flower appliques with this lacy, mohair-ish yarn. I'm going to sew them to a cardigan with some beads and...it could end up looking good, or it could end up looking dorky and old ladyish, but I'm having fun either way.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

That's really pretty! I really like the colors. The blanket looks so soft and awesome.

Which stitch and yarn did you use?

A black person
Oct 3, 2007

Bender, stop shutting the hell up!

Ms. Happiness posted:

That's really pretty! I really like the colors. The blanket looks so soft and awesome.

Which stitch and yarn did you use?

Thanks! :) It's Vanna's Choice in olive and dusty green, and it's just rows of double-stranded dc in alternating color combinations (dusty/dusty, dusty/olive, and olive/olive). It's really soft and cozy, but I think next time I'll use a cheaper yarn. Not that Vanna's Choice is expensive, but 18 skeins adds up.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

A black person posted:

Thanks! :) It's Vanna's Choice in olive and dusty green, and it's just rows of double-stranded dc in alternating color combinations (dusty/dusty, dusty/olive, and olive/olive). It's really soft and cozy, but I think next time I'll use a cheaper yarn. Not that Vanna's Choice is expensive, but 18 skeins adds up.

I found that for acrylic yarn, Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn is pretty amazing. So soft and really decently priced.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
I Love This Yarn is really great as far as cheap acrylics go. It feels like much more expensive yarn and it doesn't do that annoying unraveling thing as you work with it. The strands stay pretty much intact. They also have a ton of colors.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I have some downtime tomorrow at work and want to bring my crocheting with me. Does anyone have any tips on how to transport it without the stitches unraveling? I know this is a dumb question, but I'm new and have never crocheted outside of the living room.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
If you have anything like a round stitch marker, keyring, or paper clip, just take out the hook and put the marker/ring through the loop so that it won't unravel when you tug on it. Sort of like this...

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

who cares posted:

I have some downtime tomorrow at work and want to bring my crocheting with me. Does anyone have any tips on how to transport it without the stitches unraveling? I know this is a dumb question, but I'm new and have never crocheted outside of the living room.

Safety pins are your friends! At a pinch you can use a pin badge/button though.

InferiorCatwoman
Apr 27, 2007
There may have been an incident with a kitchen implement and his hand... the implement may have been a sandwich toaster and I may have introduced his hand to it.

who cares posted:

I usually just pull up the last stitch (making a giant loop), and I also keep my projects in those plastic bags that sheets come in, especially when I'm traveling with them. They come in a lot of different sizes, and since they're plastic they're pretty sturdy and keep the elements away from my yarn and the work doesn't move around a lot inside the bags, so I've never lost stitches.

rex banner
Nov 4, 2004

NancyPants posted:

I didn't realize these little guys were so small! Cute little squares.

What method did you use to sew them together? I'm making a small blanket with a variegated blue and a variegated brown in a checkerboard, but I don't want my sewing yarn to show.

Whenever I needed to attach 2 different colored squares, on one of the squares I would do a row of slip stitch in the color of the other square along the side that would be joined.

There might be a better way to do this - I didn't look into it. I started doing it and it seemed to work okay!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

rex banner posted:

Whenever I needed to attach 2 different colored squares, on one of the squares I would do a row of slip stitch in the color of the other square along the side that would be joined.

There might be a better way to do this - I didn't look into it. I started doing it and it seemed to work okay!

That's a brilliant idea that never would have crossed my mind.

Fruitbat
Sep 30, 2004
Well I've just completed my first ever piece of crochet Hurray! :)

Its made with Aero multi which I found 1000 times easyer to work with then the cheap DK I started with. It's a little rough around the tabs which will have poppers or velcro on to secure it but other than that im pleased with it. I used single crochet with a few slip stiches for the tabs.

It came out a little larger than I planned as I had to unpick and redo a few rows at the start will a short trip through the washing machine tighten it up a little?

How do you get the very smooth even look as used in shark farts pink and red kittens?

Bigger pic...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2689/4349101549_7c9d9aca96_b.jpg

Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 11, 2010

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

It looks like you didn't get the same amount of stitches in each row, hence the wonky end on one piece. Since you're a bit new, I would carefully count all the stitches you make in each row so you can make sure you're not dropping or adding stitches. It's great for a first time project!

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Fruitbat posted:

Well I've just completed my first ever piece of crochet Hurray! :)

Its made with Aero multi which I found 1000 times easyer to work with then the cheap DK I started with. It's a little rough around the tabs which will have poppers or velcro on to secure it but other than that im pleased with it. I used single crochet with a few slip stiches for the tabs.

It came out a little larger than I planned as I had to unpick and redo a few rows at the start will a short trip through the washing machine tighten it up a little?

How do you get the very smooth even look as used in shark farts pink and red kittens?

Bigger pic...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2689/4349101549_7c9d9aca96_b.jpg

This looks great, especially for a first project! Your stitches look really nice and consistent from what I can see. As for the smooth look you're asking about, I don't know if this is the answer you're looking for, but if it looks smooth, it's probably just because I use a relatively small hook (Size F, 3.75 mm) and crochet with tight tension. It's ideal for amigurumi, but the last couple of times I tried to single crochet a flat piece really tightly, I found that it made the edges of the piece curl, so don't know if I'd recommend it for a flat piece. I'm no expert though, so I'm sure someone else here might be able to answer that better than I can. :)

Also - I've almost finished typing up the pattern for my kitties, but I stopped because I was worried about clarity. The legs and the body are one solid piece - the legs aren't sewed onto the body. Instead, you make the two legs first, stuff them, then join them together in the middle and continue crocheting around the outside of the legs upwards to create the body. It can be confusing without pictures and I don't want people getting frustrated, so I might have to make a new cat and take pictures as I go for a guide. :( The written pattern itself is almost done though!

shark farts fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 12, 2010

Fruitbat
Sep 30, 2004
Thanks for the positive responses :)

The top left tab is so wonky because i didn't add the extra width early enough and had to add extra and then curl over and back onto it's self, It grew so fast the top row suprised me and i didnt want to unpick it. Early on I found it curling very badly due to missing stitches and had to redo 3-4 rows.

I might have gone about it the wrong way as I chained about 20 for the diameter of the pot and went up from there instead of chaining the height and and working the diameter.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Never mind, I'm an idiot.

Look at this pretty blanket instead: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/little-v-stitch-blanket

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 13, 2010

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

shark farts posted:

Kind of a repost, made another Valentine's kitty and fixed up the pink one I already posted a photo of. They're all finished and boxed up to send to my admiree :)

I made sure to write down the pattern and tried to improve it as I worked, if anyone would be interested in the pattern (it might be a little confusing at parts due to my lack of know-how but it's not too hard) just let me know. I'd love to see what other people's look like!

I would love this pattern! This is hands down the best crocheted kitty pattern I've seen so far. My daughter is obsessed with cats so I'd love to make some of these for her. PM me if you can, if not I'll share my email.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Heck I can't even crochet right yet (I'm still getting knitting) and I'd loooove to get that pattern just so I can make it someday. It's gorgeous and adorable!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
If you can knit, you can probably crochet.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
After realizing at 7 pm last night that I'd forgotten to do anything for my daughter for Valentine's Day, I made this as fast as possible. Amigurumi Valentine!

The happy recipient:

Not that 1 year olds give a poo poo, but I felt like a bad mommy.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
That heart has a :iamafag: mouth. It's pretty much awesome.

Does anyone here have any experience with putting magnets in crocheted toys? I'm wondering if I can get normal magnets or if I'll have to get stronger magnets because they'll have to attract through yarn.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Moms Stuffing posted:

If you can knit, you can probably crochet.

I prove this wrong. :smith: I want to crochet so badly, but I just can't wrap my mind around it. At most I can make a potholder.

Also that heart is freaking adorable. :3:

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Moms Stuffing, Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Aw shucks :blush: Thanks!

The pattern is typed up on my school computer, so when I get back to my dorm tomorrow I'll be sure to send it to anyone who'd like it! You can shoot me an email at sarsler@gmail.com if you're interested. There are no photos to accompany it yet, but if anyone has any difficulties please feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to walk you through it. I'll probably take pictures eventually :)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I tossed you a quick e-mail. And crochet is the first thing I tried to learn but I couldn't get past a chain. I'm going to try it again simply to be able to make this cat. Too cute.

:sigh: If only I could just knit it! Argh.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I tossed you a quick e-mail. And crochet is the first thing I tried to learn but I couldn't get past a chain. I'm going to try it again simply to be able to make this cat. Too cute.

:sigh: If only I could just knit it! Argh.

Do watching videos help you learn? I could recommend you some sites if that helps. Honestly, I think the best way to get your technique right is to learn how to hold the hook and yarn properly. Tension and stitches really fall into place after that.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It took me two or three times to really figure out how to knit and twice to figure out how to crochet. Just because it doesn't work the first period of time that you try to learn it doesn't mean you can't.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

NancyPants posted:

It took me two or three times to really figure out how to knit and twice to figure out how to crochet. Just because it doesn't work the first period of time that you try to learn it doesn't mean you can't.

Absolutely. I tried forever to learn how to crochet (since grade school) and just finally figured out how to do it right last year. I'm 29. Of course, I didn't actually know anyone that crocheted, and all the books I had read/looked at to try to learn assumed you knew at least a little something about crocheting (I knew how to make a chain but didn't understand that I'd need a turning chain; therefore my stuff was all lopsided). It wasn't until I got the Happy Hooker Stitch 'N' Bitch book that I really got it.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

shark farts posted:

The pattern is typed up on my school computer, so when I get back to my dorm tomorrow I'll be sure to send it to anyone who'd like it! You can shoot me an email at sarsler@gmail.com if you're interested. There are no photos to accompany it yet, but if anyone has any difficulties please feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to walk you through it. I'll probably take pictures eventually :)

I just emailed you. :)

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Never mind I'm an idiot. Reading comprehension! :downs:

Moms Stuffing fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 15, 2010

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
You make a tube with the orange then use the green to close up one end, decreasing after the first row of sc.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

shark farts posted:

I emailed you as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
I sent you an e-mail too, shark farts. That is the cutest kitty I've ever seen!